Questus

Add Photos

Jeff Rosenblum

Myth versus reality

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had written a positive review a while back, mostly to try and attract good people to come and work there. But I yanked it when I eventually realized that it didn't reflect reality. So after thinking long and hard about whether I should post another, I decided it was time.

Frankly, I can't think of many "pros." Except for the chance to work with a handful of good, dedicated people. However the hours are so bad and workflow so chaotic, that good feeling eventually wears off.

You might luck out and get a supervisor who cares about the work, and who really tries and wants to keep the team motivated and inspired. I did, for a brief time. But this couldn't make up for all the other serious issues at Questus. That said, I would work for this person again in a heartbeat. Just not at this agency.

If you are junior level it could be a good opportunity b/c you will get thrown into the deep end and pretty much have to swim, or be dragged down and drowned by the wreck of a project you're assigned to. In other words, you will have to learn how to manage up, how to prioritize, how to not lose your cool. Good skills to learn. You will not be expected to think, however. Just do.

Another "pro" is that my experience, as negative as it was, actually helped me strengthen myself professionally, regain my confidence in my abilities, and realize better career opportunities. I have firmer expectations of myself and prospective employers, and a better idea of what I will and will not tolerate.

ConsYes, It's agency life. Occasional long hours, crazy deadlines, difficult clients... That comes with the territory. Everyone knows that. But this is not a place to be challenged or respected professionally. You will expected to take what's given you, not contribute (although there's a lot of lip service to the contrary), and then be given neither the time, resources or positive direction to get the work done. You will be in effect overworked and underutilized.

The company has a fundamental problem in the form of major duds at the senior level who not only were difficult to work with, but who in my opinion undermined good work. Frankly, it boggled the mind how one in particular was ever given a leadership role.

Morale is low, people are miserable, but I believe most aren't comfortable with expressing their dissatisfaction. Why? You will likely be given a whitewash of what's going on, sold a bill of goods how things are going to be better, and then whatever you said will be pretty much ignored. And it's back to business as usual. Rinse, repeat.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut your words into action. You obviously plenty to say in all the articles you publish and talks you attend. Seriously evaluate why you are in this business and hold yourselves as well as senior people accountable. It's not a game, or a party, or a hobby. It's a job, and more than that, a career for many of us.

Ease up on the sloganeering, the rah-rahs and motivational cliches. If you truly care, if you truly believe all the rhetoric we had to listen to, then you need to listen, too. Take an unflinching look at why people are not happy, and have the integrity and honesty to see your parts in it. Everyone is accountable, not just the ones who can conveniently be thrown under the bus when things go bad.

Most of us have been in this business (and actually more successful at it) longer than you're willing to acknowledge. Questus is really another stop (for some, a big pothole) in our careers. If you – partner, SVP, Director or whatever – are not completely honest with the state of things, and your part in it, then don't be surprised when there's no one left to hear to you go on about your "advertising revolution."

A Very Difficult Learning Experience

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat people at the lower and mid levels who want to produce great work and bring this company's vision to light.

ConsThey need to do a better job of living/working the values that they preach. There's a massive disconnect between what they pitch to perspective employees and to what actually goes on day to day.

There are serious levels of disorganization at the management levels which cause employee morale to greatly suffer and employees to have to work harder (but not necessarily smarter) than they should need to.

The creative director is often at odds with what the client wants, causing a rift and confusion for the team. He is also often a bottleneck for work and has very specific taste in the work he sees that doesn't always meet client asks.

There are too many levels of dyadic relationships within the company which causes a lot of "he said, she said." Managers make promises to clients at the expense of their employees' weekends and evenings without ever consulting the employees ahead of time. At the same time, meetings run longer than they should and often incorporate members of the team who are part of the project, but have no specific involvement in the meeting when their time could be better spent doing work to meet the incredibly tight deadlines that this company adheres to.

The pay is on the + level and the company has great vacation time and more holidays than any place I've ever worked, but when your weeks are consistently never less than 45-50 hours and often more, it basically makes you pay for that vacation time in work time spent at other portions of the year.

The company heads desperately want to lead an "advertising revolution," they just aren't sure how to get there yet, which is completely fine, but it often comes at the expense and morale of their employees.

I can't recommend this company to anyone so long as the culture remains as it is. There are good people here, they just need to be much better organized and better utilized.

Fun, interesting and welcoming place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people working in a fast paced environment. Never doing the same thing two days in a row. Collaboration and team work is key to success at Questus. Very young office.

ConsVery small company with offices in San Francisco and New York. You will be asked to work outside your normal 9 to 5 hours if you work here.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Chaotic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou will have ample opportunities for blazing your own path, as there are little to no set procedures in place.

ConsManagement performs erratically and long term strategy sways with the wind.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove steadiness of leadership.

Worked for Questus? Contribute to the Community!