Quicken Loans Reviews

Reset
3.9
Quicken Loans CEO Bill Emerson
Bill Emerson

Pros
  • Nice work environment and good co-workers (in 29 reviews)

• Great culture, friendly team members fun looking office atmosphere (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance due to hours noted above (in 55 reviews)

• No work life balance, expect 65 hours minimal (in 32 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Excellent place for a great career

Former Employee - Various Marketing Positions in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Various Marketing Positions in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at Quicken Loans for more than nine years and it was a tremendous experience. It is a great place for a person with creativity and passion. I was able to pursue my ideas and see them grow into marketing channels. This is encouraged by leadership and I can honestly say that anyone with a great idea and passion to see it through will do well at Quicken Loans. I never experienced the complaints of a work life balance that others have mentioned here. In the nine years I worked there, all on the Marketing team, that was never the case for me. My experience was, with very few exceptions, one of people who cared deeply about me and my fellow teammates at QL. In my second year of employment, I was severely injured in a freak accident and was literally couch-ridden for two months as I recovered. My leader went out of his way to make sure I didn't lose pay and allowed me to work from home until I could return to the office. Interestingly enough, it was during this time working from home when I was able to focus on and launch our Yahoo! Answers program, which became the seed of the current Social Media team (today the best social media team in financial services in the U.S.). Over the years I was able to build a team, watch several people I hired grow and build careers, and help launch several other marketing channels including my two favorites - blogging and podcasting. Although I left for a career opportunity in a completely different business, I highly recommend Quicken Loans for anyone that wants to learn a tremendous amount and work with great people. Additionally, as a person who grew up in Detroit, I have to say that the work that Quicken Loans (and Family of Companies) has done to rebuild downtown Detroit is incredible. Finally, I have absolutely no doubt that Quicken Loans will one day be the largest mortgage company in America. That is guaranteed. They have the goods and it will take them to the top.

Cons

This isn't really a con, just some friendly advice. If you aren't passionate and energetic, you probably will not enjoy the environment at Quicken Loans.

2. Best Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans (More than a year)

Pros

Best Company to work for all freshers and experienced

Cons

Nothing to say about the company.

Advice to Management

Nothing

3. Love it

Current Employee - Director in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Director in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans (More than 3 years)

Pros

Earning potential is unmatched anywhere else.

Cons

Lots of pressure to hit goals

5. Fabulous

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with a great vision.

Cons

Demanding hours some weeks and some mange mentioned is poor

Progress programmer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

Good technology, able to work remote and avoid a commute, no overtime required and generally a lot of good people.

Cons

although efficient, the main app, AMP, is character based and antiquated. Not enjoyable to work on, and virtually no documentation. Little guidance other than calling people to ask questions.

7. Technology Internship

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Detroit, MI
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Lots of knowledgeable people and learning/networking possibilities. Opportunities to job shadow other areas. There are also a lot of events that interns can attend to learn more about the company and the city of Detroit. Also, the frequent free food and slushies don't hurt either.

Cons

The wage is non-negotiable and not high. Some of the mandatory events are unpaid.

8. Great Experience as Intern

Former Employee - Intern in Northville, MI
    Former Employee - Intern in Northville, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans (More than a year)

Pros

Work environment, intern activities, helpful team members

Cons

Intern wage is kind of low compared to other companies

9. Intern to Full-time!

Current Intern - Marketing Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Current Intern - Marketing Specialist in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I started on the marketing team as an intern, but I was recently able to switch to a full-time team member position. For me, the best part about working at Quicken Loans is that they cultivate your ingenuity. Sure, the slushies and free meals are great, but I really love the creative environment. My leader and team members are always brainstorming - always improving and executing, and this carries over into every part of our lives. For instance, we currently have a group of interns and full-time team members that meets once a week to discuss our entrepreneurial ideas. It's been great. And what's more, our leaders actually encourage this type of thing. They want us to find things that we're passionate about and then pursue them. As an intern, I was able to build some amazing relationships and connections that will be with me for the rest of my life. Also, if you're looking for a mentor, QL is the place to be. In some careers, I feel like the leadership is paranoid about teaching young people their skills; it's like the higher ups are afraid their jobs are at risk if anyone (but them) knows how to do their work. My leaders at QL haven't been anything like that; their goal is to raise up the next generation, and they'll invest an incredible amount of time into each intern. And if you have ideas, bring them to the table. There's nothing stopping an intern from making a big change. The doors are all open. Also, if you're an intern, you probably won't be getting coffee or printing papers. You'll be working alongside professionals and gaining actual experience in your field. I've had a great experience with Quicken Loans, and I'm glad I have the opportunity to stay with this company.

Cons

I can't think of many cons. I wish the cheese factory (a tool that allows us to submit new ideas to the company) worked a little better. It's a great concept, but I think they should speed up the process. Some people on here mentioned that they struggled with their work-life balance at QL. I've never really had this problem. I think they may be confusing their "rough work-life balance" with "hard work." Don't get me wrong - working here IS hard work. But it's worthwhile.

10. Great place to work!

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people, company culture, and benefits are the biggest things that come to mind. I'm always happy with my work and my co workers. Just a fun environment to be in.

Cons

Project management is not at its best. You hear the phrase `Technology drives the business` but in practice its hard to get technology initiatives prioritized over business initiatives.

11. Capital Markets Analyst

Current Employee - Capital Markets Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Capital Markets Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposure to the highest levels of the company. Ability to innovate and influence the outcome. Excellent culture. Excellent peers. Excellent work environment. Your get to work for an impressive company with a tremendous presence in the industry.

Cons

Pay is not competitive. It's a private company so there are no stock options. Turnover is high if you are not in core areas (marketing, accounting/finance/IT/Capital Markets). Bankers and ops leave/let go all the time.

Advice to Management

Identify top performers and do it takes to retain them. To many people leave for better pay even though their level of knowledge is vital to the future growth of the company. This company seems to be very top heavy in compensation where only senior leaders get rewarded. Recognition is great but it doesn't put food on the table. Stop forcing out the experienced workers in favor of entry level workers.

RSS Feed </> Embed