Quicken Loans

Updated August 18, 2014

3.6

Quicken Loans CEO Bill Emerson
Bill Emerson

Pros
  • Great work environment, pretty informal, no dress code and downtown Detroit (in 21 reviews)

• Good benefits and perks with discounts at many restaurants and stores downtown (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is the number one reason team members leave QL (in 41 reviews)

• no work life balance, management cares about sales not necessarily the individuals (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Great environment, people, and opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Pros

Working at Quicken has been one of the best experiences of my life. They genuinely care about their employees and their well being. Anyone who posts negative posts on here are usually the ones who are let go for that very reason: Negativity. It's not tolerated at all because it's as contagious as the black plague. There have been times where I made mistakes as well as failed to perform a duty or something that was asked of me, however Quicken saw the asset I was and they saw the effort I always put in. The other team members are always positive, team leaders are uplifting, and everyone becomes your family. I've seen so much personal growth within myself and I'm so thankful that the opportunities that have been given to me by this company. There is a lot demanded of you, but if you show you've done your best or have the passion, you will be noticed and praised for it.

Cons

There could be a little more organization and communication between team members.

Keep doing what you do! Always be looking for a new & better way to help this company grow. Be open to criticism and don't be so serious at times.

Great Culture and great people

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Detroit, MI

Pros

Just after my first week, I felt that I had been working at the company for months. The staff is very welcoming and everyone works as a team. You won't find bureaucracy here! The company is very forward thinking and constantly evolving. Another bonus, there is almost always free lunch. There is a lot of room for personal growth as well.

Cons

Many people will say that they work long hours. That very much depends on your role at the company. The mortgage bankers typically work long hours. The other sectors of the company work standard hours. Be careful who you ask when asking about the company.

No Work Life Balance

Current Employee - Purchase Banker  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Purchase Banker in Detroit, MI

Pros

Good money, good comp plan.

Cons

Hours, work-life balance, plan on working every weekend.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great!

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

Pros

Great culture and business practices

Cons

Located downtown Detroit-- not an ideal place.

Keep doing what youre doing

A better internship experience than I could have imagined.

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI

Pros

Where do I start? Everybody that I met at the company is a great resource for knowledge and very willing to help out with questions or guidance. It is laid back in dress code and culture, yet a lot of work still gets done and there is an emphasis on that, and especially doing quality work. Both my leader and mentor pushed me to figure things out myself yet would eagerly point me in the right direction or provide me answers if I really could not figure them out myself. If I ever had any questions, I never had to worry about not being able to answer them. As an intern, I was given loads of opportunities to go to events, such as Tigers games, a tour of Ford Field, and the annual summer IT Family Gathering. All the higher ups (highest ups, Dan Gilbert and Bill Emerson) are much more reachable than those of other corporations, despite how busy and important they are. I feel pride to work underneath them. I learned a ton! Especially in terms of practical knowledge applicable to other environments. It was understood that I was an intern but I was given the work that full-time team members are and treated as such, which is quite what I wanted to experience. All my team mates and leader were all incredibly supportive and would shower me with complements, which is absolutely a boost to my self-esteem and feeling of importance. Definitely one of the best "jobs" I have ever worked, and it has really changed my mind about the future, as I have certainly been enticed to coming back.

Cons

I quite honestly cannot think of any. Maybe the atmosphere is not for everyone (such as quite conservative types), but I loved it here.

You guys are doing a great job, keep on keeping on with the trajectory you're following, and I am proud to have worked for you this summer!

AMAZING Internship Experience

Current Employee - Intern  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Intern in Detroit, MI

Pros

Quicken Loans offers an innovative work space unlike any other internships in the Detroit area. We have bright colored walls, graffiti on the floors, and even slushie and popcorn machines in our kitchens! It's even likely to see someone riding a scooter down the hallway.

The company values teamwork, so everyone you work with is excited for you to succeed and learn more about the mortgage industry and about the City of Detroit.

We were also offered free parking and perks during Internship events, which balanced with the low internship pay rate compared to other corporate companies.

Cons

I honestly don't have anything negative to say about my internship experience. I was pleased with all aspects of the program.

My experience at Quicken Loans and the QL family of companies has been very fulfilling

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Detroit, MI

Pros

The companies have amazing culture, diversity, and opportunities. QL cares about their team members and offers a vibrant work environment where you are allowed to pursue and mold your career.

Cons

Sometimes coaching lacks structure or depth. It's hard to remember this company is still young.

Keep everything the same. My only wish is more detailed coaching and guidance.

Experience of a lifetime!

Current Employee - Mortgage Operations  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Mortgage Operations in Detroit, MI

Pros

-professional yet laid back environment
    -friendly coworker and always willing to help
    -amazing intern events. Tigers games, carnivals and many more!
    - very understanding leaders

Cons

There were not any cons at all! As soon as something might have went wrong it was easily taken care of.

Great Intern Experience

Former Employee - Business Development Intern  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Business Development Intern in Detroit, MI

Pros

-The culture is amazing. Everyone is supportive and ready to help.
    -You are treated like an equal even as an Intern.
    -Incredible opportunities and benefits available.

Cons

-Not a lot of training. I can see how this could be an issue with some people.

None.

Greektown Casino Internship Review

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Detroit, MI

Pros

I learned a lot. Everyone was nice and willing to teach. I didn't feel like an intern. The pay was nice. I had the chance to head projects. The benefits were great. Free food. Flexible schedule. I got a permanent job out of it. Room for growth.

Cons

I felt out the loop when it came to intern events with other Quicken Loans interns. I would have loved to recieve the emails and attend the events, but I never recieved the emails. I just regret not being able to go do anything. I noticed that there is a huge lack of communication between management and the rest of the team. No one trusts each other and that leads to animosity amongst team members and amongst the team and upper management.

Begin talking to your team and try to communicate as much as possible. Try to see if the have any concerns and what you can do to fix it. Pay attention to everyone's strengths.

Quicken loans- Make all interns feel included.

Worked for Quicken Loans? Contribute to the Community!