Quicken Loans

Updated October 14, 2014
3.7

Quicken Loans CEO Bill Emerson
Bill Emerson

Pros
  • I also had a chance to experience the work environment and why Quicken Loans is number one (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits and perks with discounts at many restaurants and stores downtown (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is the number one reason team members leave QL (in 50 reviews)

• no work life balance, management cares about sales not necessarily the individuals (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience at Quicken Loans was very enthralling.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- The kind of work I was involved in has helped me grow a lot professionally
    - Different projects and the option of working in cross functional tasks
    - The opportunity to meet with senior management and the business leaders of the organisation

Cons

- Maybe the compensation was a bit too less for an intern, but the experience I got out of the internship is something that I would cherish forever
    - The culture is maybe too chilled out and laid back, but that is what defines the organization

Wolf of Wall Street, Chucky Cheese and JP Morgan Chase put together.

Former Employee - Mortgage Banking Intern in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Mortgage Banking Intern in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Quicken Loans as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very fun. Look forward to work, culture is excellent. Pay is great.

Cons

You're going to have to work hard.

Give interns more useful work to do.

Learning experience for a lifetime

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you want to learning to be a harder and more efficient worker then work at Quicken Loans. You are pushed very hard with every position through the mortgage banker process. Excellent career advancement opportunity. I have 2 kids and I never really have time to see them. My health has gotten a lot worse too because all I do is work.

Cons

Long hours. Explaining EXACTLY why you need the day off if you decide you cannot make it in. If you don't perform well, you aren't really treated that well.

Needs to be more of a Consistancey with management throughout the entire company. So many directors are unprofessional. I will give credit to the directors are legit and not in it for the money.

Look in the mirror

Current Employee - Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation, Work Environment, Opportunities for advancement, HQ perks. This is a job where your financial success is all on you. If you cannot overcome adversity or give up easily, you will not be successful here. You can be be very financially successful here, as well as continue to move up and become even more successful. All of the negative reviews on here are most likely from people who just aren't winners. Frankly, all it takes to be top 5% in sales is hard work. Early, late, and often.

Cons

Long hours, The gym isn't in the building I work in.

Keep doing what you're doing

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing workplace culture that you won't find many other places. Team oriented atmosphere with a lot of energy and positive leadership. Training and benefits are good and there is a lot of opportunity to move around in the company. The internship program brings in 1000 college students in the summer and the company is extremely involved in giving back to the community which is nice to be proud of!

Cons

Nothing I can think of worth complaining about.

Thanks!

Best internship experience I've ever had.

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The team members really believe in the company's ISMs (values) and demonstrate them on a daily basis.
    Team leaders are more than willing to help you in any way possible to ensure that you get exactly what you want out of the internship.
    Plenty of opportunities to branch out of your team and learn about other areas of the business.

Cons

Some tasks can get a bit mundane and administrative, so you need to push the fact that you want to do more or have more responsibility.

Great

I worked at Quicken Loans

Pros

Lots of opportunity if your hungry

Cons

Long long long hours more of a bachelors gig

None

Mortgage banker,

If you can be a robot for 14 hours a day, this is the job for you!

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The first month was good, filled with relevant mortgage training. They will get you licensed in 10 or more states before you are allowed to work on the banking floor.

Cons

They expect 150 % out of you every minute of the day ( 8am until 10 pm) if you leave your desk for more than a 20 minute lunch you will be treated badly and considered a slacker by your superiors. If you don't work at least 70 hours a week you will be fired. The influence and persuasion of the clients is pushed to the point of embarrassment, like con artists. You will be fired if you have a regular intelligent conversation with a client or a realtor and do not follow the script, there is a script for every single play and every single client objection. I was lied to about the time it takes before you can actually get on the banking floor, they said 3 months it was 7, living on 9 dollars an hour for that long when you have a mortgage, car payment and other bills is basically impossible. I had clients that had their loans denied right before closing and were left homeless, who does that? If you are young ( 20 to 26) can handle being a puppet, require only 5 hours or less of sleep per night and can handle the constant threats of being fired, then this is the place for you.

You put a lot of money into licensing a banker, and get rid of people at the drop of a hat for no good reason. You don't care because you'll have 100 new bankers next month. The day will come when no one will want to work as a mortgage banker for QL. Open your eyes, start treating bankers like humans.

Mortgage Banker

Former Employee - Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company with a great philosophy. Potential to make six figures, even in your first year of employment.
    Great training enviroment.

Cons

Very high turn over rate
    Expect very long hours(10-11pm at night is not unusual)
    No work-life balance due to hours noted above.
    Supervisors/Others Eye your every move - listen to your phone calls etc
    Majority of pay is commission based, so don't expect a big check if you aren't good at selling loans.

No Work/Life Balance

Former Employee - Associate Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Associate Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very fun environment to work in. Lots of excitement and fun to be had during the day. Tons of excellent training if you are not familiar with mortgages. Management is very supportive of employees as long as it pertains to work. Excellent company culture, if you aren't a mortgage banker there are lots of opportunities for fun things with the company.

Cons

65 hour weeks with 6-7 work days are the normal. Company seems to have a churn and burn attitude towards employees. Use them up and bring in the next ones. Only executive management had any longevity.

Consider better work/life management.