Quicken Loans

Updated September 21, 2014
3.7

Quicken Loans CEO Bill Emerson
Bill Emerson

Pros
  • Great work environment, pretty informal, no dress code and downtown Detroit (in 21 reviews)

• Good benefits and perks with discounts at many restaurants and stores downtown (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is the number one reason team members leave QL (in 41 reviews)

• no work life balance, management cares about sales not necessarily the individuals (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Training is great and compensation is unbelievable if you're good. If you're not, you're poor. 60 hours a week minimum.

Former Employee - Power Banker  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Power Banker in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation. Lack of pre-requisites. Dress code. Day flies past, despite it usually being a 12-14 hour work day. If you do well, you will be promoted, no questions asked.

Cons

Regardless of what you are told, you will not have much of a life outside of Quicken Loans. Also, the culture seems to be breaking down a bit. It used to be supportive and optimistic. Now it feels like you're standing on the edge of a cliff everyday unless you're top 5% in production

Understand that driving your employees into the ground isn't the way to motivate. If someone accepts a job at Quicken Loans, they want to work hard. When numbers aren't as robust as you or the executives want, stop bashing people and show some support. Re-evaluate how you're motivating people.

High level company with great expectations.

Current Employee - Mortgage Banker  in  Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Mortgage Banker in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You can make good money when you produce. The culture is very high level. The technology is phenomenal. Not a company where you will be complaining about people not doing their job. If you are single, and care only about making money or advancing your career, great opportunity to be financially successful and grow. Lot of opportunity to be promoted and advance if you are willing to sacrifice your personal life.

Cons

You will work. And then you will stay late. And then you will be expected to work the weekend. The days are long, and there is no down time. You are there to work, and prospect as many clients as they can shove down your throat. They want to gain market share, and don't care about turnover. It's a short career for most that are hired. Not a role you want if you care about family and spending time with them.

You should really focus on the overall well being of your people. You clearly don't care about turnover, and the focus is on training the newest bankers to be as productive as possible in the shortest amount of time. it's clearly not on retaining the dedicated bankers, or finding ways to keep them happy. You focus on quantity not quality of prospective leads, which doesn't bother you on paper because the culture drives results. However, the mindset of bankers is not a priority, while it clearly should be. If anyone tries to speak out, it's viewed as complaining and not being dedicated enough. This can't be summarized on paper for a 2 minute huddle though. When directors are stepping down monthly, clearly there is a push from the top down that is squeezing every last drop out of those willing to give all they have.

Ugh. The technology team is atrocious.

Current Employee - Intern  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Intern in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans as an intern

Pros

Endless coffee. Endless coffee. Yes, lots of coffee.

Cons

If you are a software engineer who actually understands the importance of things such as run-time complexity and documentation of code, stay far away from this place. They might be rated #1 in IT by some commercial magazine, but they certainly do not employ skilled engineers or emphasize good coding practices. Guys who dropped out of community college run entire dev teams and act as enforcers of one of the worst implementations of scrum I've ever encountered. Of course, it all makes sense when you consider what they pay these people -- to put it another way, QL thinks they can pay 20% below market value and attract top tech talent. LOL, sorry. Not in this market Dan.

ugh

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't expect to have free time

Former Employee - Presidents Club Banker  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Presidents Club Banker in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great money making opportunity
    Great benefits
    Doesn't require college education of experience

Cons

No work life balance. Expected to work 2 Saturdays per month and 12-14 hour days are the norm.
    Culture is really changing and micro-management is leading to employees becoming robots.
    Absolutely ZERO loyalty. Bankers always get blamed for any negative experience that the client has.

Don't forget what led you to all of these awards you have won. Come out of your offices for a while and speak to bankers instead of relying on "yes men" RVPs.8

Opportunities, if you follow the company line

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get the opportunity to work with a lot of intelligent people on interesting projects.

Cons

There are a band of "in" people. It's extremely hard to introduce new ideas into the culture, unless those ideas come from the "it" people. A mentality of "if we didn't think of it first, it's a bad idea".

Be open to ideas from different companies and industries.

Great environment, people, and opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at Quicken has been one of the best experiences of my life. They genuinely care about their employees and their well being. Anyone who posts negative posts on here are usually the ones who are let go for that very reason: Negativity. It's not tolerated at all because it's as contagious as the black plague. There have been times where I made mistakes as well as failed to perform a duty or something that was asked of me, however Quicken saw the asset I was and they saw the effort I always put in. The other team members are always positive, team leaders are uplifting, and everyone becomes your family. I've seen so much personal growth within myself and I'm so thankful that the opportunities that have been given to me by this company. There is a lot demanded of you, but if you show you've done your best or have the passion, you will be noticed and praised for it.

Cons

There could be a little more organization and communication between team members.

Keep doing what you do! Always be looking for a new & better way to help this company grow. Be open to criticism and don't be so serious at times.

Greektown Casino Internship Review

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I learned a lot. Everyone was nice and willing to teach. I didn't feel like an intern. The pay was nice. I had the chance to head projects. The benefits were great. Free food. Flexible schedule. I got a permanent job out of it. Room for growth.

Cons

I felt out the loop when it came to intern events with other Quicken Loans interns. I would have loved to recieve the emails and attend the events, but I never recieved the emails. I just regret not being able to go do anything. I noticed that there is a huge lack of communication between management and the rest of the team. No one trusts each other and that leads to animosity amongst team members and amongst the team and upper management.

Begin talking to your team and try to communicate as much as possible. Try to see if the have any concerns and what you can do to fix it. Pay attention to everyone's strengths.

Quicken loans- Make all interns feel included.

Great Culture and great people

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time for less than a year

Pros

Just after my first week, I felt that I had been working at the company for months. The staff is very welcoming and everyone works as a team. You won't find bureaucracy here! The company is very forward thinking and constantly evolving. Another bonus, there is almost always free lunch. There is a lot of room for personal growth as well.

Cons

Many people will say that they work long hours. That very much depends on your role at the company. The mortgage bankers typically work long hours. The other sectors of the company work standard hours. Be careful who you ask when asking about the company.

No Work Life Balance

Current Employee - Purchase Banker  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Purchase Banker in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good money, good comp plan.

Cons

Hours, work-life balance, plan on working every weekend.

Great!

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at Quicken Loans as an intern

Pros

Great culture and business practices

Cons

Located downtown Detroit-- not an ideal place.

Keep doing what youre doing

Worked for Quicken Loans? Contribute to the Community!