Quicken Loans

Updated December 18, 2014
3.8

Quicken Loans CEO Bill Emerson
Bill Emerson

Pros
  • I also had a chance to experience the work environment and why Quicken Loans is number one (in 29 reviews)

• Great culture, friendly team members fun looking office atmosphere (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is the number one reason team members leave QL (in 55 reviews)

• no work life balance, management cares about sales not necessarily the individuals (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't do sales

I worked at Quicken Loans

Pros

Met some really great people

Cons

They work you like a dog as a Mortgage Banker. Don't plan on having a life.

Get away from the cult-like culture

Ism's- it's what you do

Former Employee - Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time (less than an year)

Pros

competitive salary, office excitement, perks

Cons

always hiring, no work-life balance, cellphone number becomes public

consider that your staff are actual people with lives. i'm sure i could have given the company a bit more of my time or tried a different role but it was so production based i felt like a failure from the first time i stepped on the sales floor, even when i was given or asked for help

We focus on the Pros even though the Cons outweighs them. That's how you're trained to think at Quicken Loans. #IgnoreTheNoise

Current Employee - Vendor Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Vendor Analyst in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The environment is amazing. You meet wonderful people that eventually become family. Wonderful perks. A lot of activities. Celebrities like to visit for some reason.

Cons

You're told one thing but really there are 1,000 different meeting and it's your fault that you didn't know the other 999 meanings and you're still held accountable.

Everything is a secret. They claim they don't want other companies getting a hold of their stuff but i mean you can't even print out the employee handbook and most people don't have enough time to read it due to the workload and everything else you're expected to do in a 9-12 hour day.

You CAN/WILL BE micro-managed. They do have the power to do so and they will use it. They already monitor stuff like how long you're in a loan, how long it takes for you to pull another one. How many tasks you can complete in a day. They can pull your email history, chat/IM history, Phone calls (and of course they would rather you use their phone and not your cell phone during work hours. You don't have to during your breaks but they tell you to give out your work number to people so that they're not calling your cell phone)...I don't have a problem with any of this except for the fact that they promoted that they don't micro-manage.

I love all the activities that we offer but I've been at Quicken Loans for 2+ years and I've only been able to participate like once or twice. Why? Because of my team's workload. Since there's always something we could be doing in a loan, we're never really aloud to go have fun. I get that work needs to be done but the point of these activities (that usually happens during work hours) are to take a break from the computer monitors that we stare at for 8-14 hours a day.

Great training

I have been working at Quicken Loans

Pros

great culture, great health benefits, upbeat environment, always getting more training,

Cons

long hours, impossible to reach back out to all clients in a 24 hr period. everyone was afraid of losing their job, as employees disappeared every day. Very high turnover, very hard to last a year given the workload. You could have reave reviews but two missed calls...and you were gone.

support the CCS by balancing the positive reviews from clients with the one or two missed calls. I had clients sending me gifts for my excellent service, and boom, one or two mistakes in three months, and I was gone.

Outstanding

Former Employee - Banker Then Sent to Call Center (Rock Connections) in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice work environment and good co-workers.

Cons

Too many hours and low pay. Repetitive work.

Train recruiters to better place candidates. I should never have been put in a sales position (even though I was in pharmaceutical sales for 14 years) because the kind of sales I had experience in was not a "hard-close" kind of position. Pharmaceutical sales was more of a consultant position. It should have been readily evident to my recruiter at QL that I was more of a technical, detail-oriented individual who could have offered much more to the Quicken Loans family of companies as an underwriter or similar. In my three short years, my observation was that most employees get burned out and leave or are dismissed. I believe that Bill Emerson and Dan Gilbert need to do a culture check because what they started years back was wonderful but now their ship is slowly drifting off course. It's time for them to seriously get back into the trenches and fix what is happening. I also want to let them know that one of their marketing arms, "Rock Connections" is turning a lot of potential clients off and over the past year has begun to create a bad reputation for Quicken Loans. The way that RC processes and recycles leads is flawed and is causing many potential clients to be almost nothing short of stalked and harassed via incessant telephone calls. I know this because I witnessed the increasing number of complaints and corresponding intensity in the anger I encountered from the potential clients. Most of the account representatives don't care to take notes or properly remove these clients from the system nor is this process encouraged. Instead, the focus is all on volume of calls.

long hours

I worked at Quicken Loans

Pros

learn mortgage loan originator business

Cons

work 12 hour days. no dinner time allowed. 30 minutes for lunch.

perks

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

great intern perks - tiger games, free snacks and drinks, laid back environment

Cons

work can be repetitive and monotonous

Really good culture

Former Employee - Vendor Analyst in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Vendor Analyst in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Great culture, they give you a lot of flexibility in the work place. One good thing is that they are really open to helping you shadow different portions of the company. The hours are normal and the people are really nice.

Cons

Culture is a bit laid back - not how I like it. Also the people you work with are not the brightest of the bunch.

nothing much they do a great job

Great

Current Employee - Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people and atmosphere. A lot of money to be made in the Banking side of things if you are motived to work through the long hours and stress. Awesome Benefits.

Cons

long hours, and not great on work life balance. Seems to be work comes first at all times and can be hard to take vacation time.

n/a

Wolf of Wall Street, Chucky Cheese and JP Morgan Chase put together.

Former Employee - Mortgage Banking Intern in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Mortgage Banking Intern in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Quicken Loans as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very fun. Look forward to work, culture is excellent. Pay is great.

Cons

You're going to have to work hard.

Give interns more useful work to do.