Quicken Loans

Updated October 21, 2014
3.7

Quicken Loans CEO Bill Emerson
Bill Emerson

Pros
  • I also had a chance to experience the work environment and why Quicken Loans is number one (in 27 reviews)

• Good benefits and perks with discounts at many restaurants and stores downtown (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is the number one reason team members leave QL (in 51 reviews)

• no work life balance, management cares about sales not necessarily the individuals (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Software Engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice working environment and nice colleagues

Cons

Caution: You'll fell in love with your work.

Keep doing the good job...

Great place to work

Former Employee - Project Manager in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, decent benefits, opportunities to advance

Cons

Lack of training, long hours, constant reorganization

Looking For An Amazing Internship Experience? Search No Further.

Former Employee - Client Relations Intern in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Client Relations Intern in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

AN AMAZING CULTURE. Every single person I met was patient, kind, and more than willing to help. Working in Detroit was also a really cool experience. Campus Martius is beautiful and full of life. Lots of free food :) Very flexible if you have doctors appointments, have vacation plans, and/or are taking summer classes. You just have to make sure you get your work done, as you would expect. MANY opportunities for networking including events and shadowing different people within the company. For example I had the amazing privilege of shadowing Bill Emerson! Not many people can say they were able to shadow the CEO of their company, but at Quicken Loans anything is possible. Lots of perks such as tours of Detroit, free events (ie TIGERS GAMES!) and free parking downtown all week and weekend long.

Cons

Intern hours are typically 9am-6pm. Some people find that long, but you get a full hour for lunch plus two 15 minute paid breaks. Plus, they say if you do what you love you never work a day in your life, and that's honestly how I felt each minute of this internship. I only put this in the Cons as a heads up to those who aren't willing to work hard and dedicate most of their summer to this program (which aren't really cons, if you ask me :) ).

Keep up the amazing things that you are doing within the company, as well as what you're doing for Detroit!

Great Culture, Friendly People.

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

The culture and people make this place a blast.

Cons

I was an intern, but I heard pay isn't that great in general.

Keep up the good work!

Training is great and compensation is unbelievable if you're good. If you're not, you're poor. 60 hours a week minimum.

Former Employee - Power Banker in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Power Banker in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Compensation. Lack of pre-requisites. Dress code. Day flies past, despite it usually being a 12-14 hour work day. If you do well, you will be promoted, no questions asked.

Cons

Regardless of what you are told, you will not have much of a life outside of Quicken Loans. Also, the culture seems to be breaking down a bit. It used to be supportive and optimistic. Now it feels like you're standing on the edge of a cliff everyday unless you're top 5% in production

Understand that driving your employees into the ground isn't the way to motivate. If someone accepts a job at Quicken Loans, they want to work hard. When numbers aren't as robust as you or the executives want, stop bashing people and show some support. Re-evaluate how you're motivating people.

Stress yelling and immature managers

Former Employee - Associate Banker in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Associate Banker in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was ok if you like to work your whole life without washing clothes or seeing your family or sleeping. benefits were great also.

Cons

It was by far the worst company I have ever worked for. I worked an average of 70 hours a week and my manager was the meanest most disorganized person I have ever met who was actually allowed to lead people. She had no leadership skills constantly yelled at us in front of other employees played our bad calls in front of other employees and cursed like a sailor. I would not advise anyone to work for this company the stress is not worth it.

Hire managers who have experience leading people or put each new manager through sensitivity training as some of her comments even boarder on racist.

Great atmosphere and culture if your gullible.. Its actually the shadiest company you'll ever work for.

Current Employee - Client Care Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Client Care Specialist in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

you can make good money if you work hard.

Cons

Your a robot and puppet for quicken. They dont give half a stink about you, no matter how hard you work and how well you do. 1 strike and your out. They smile to your face, and the next second youll your leaders whispering and being secretive. everybody is dan gilberts slave. perfect way to describe them is "they tell you what you want to here" I got terminated because of a family issue i had to take days off. Prior to that i was the highest producing ccs on the floor. thats what kind of company they are

stop being so shady and appreciate your staff. Your guys are all so fake

High level company with great expectations.

Current Employee - Mortgage Banker in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Mortgage Banker in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can make good money when you produce. The culture is very high level. The technology is phenomenal. Not a company where you will be complaining about people not doing their job. If you are single, and care only about making money or advancing your career, great opportunity to be financially successful and grow. Lot of opportunity to be promoted and advance if you are willing to sacrifice your personal life.

Cons

You will work. And then you will stay late. And then you will be expected to work the weekend. The days are long, and there is no down time. You are there to work, and prospect as many clients as they can shove down your throat. They want to gain market share, and don't care about turnover. It's a short career for most that are hired. Not a role you want if you care about family and spending time with them.

You should really focus on the overall well being of your people. You clearly don't care about turnover, and the focus is on training the newest bankers to be as productive as possible in the shortest amount of time. it's clearly not on retaining the dedicated bankers, or finding ways to keep them happy. You focus on quantity not quality of prospective leads, which doesn't bother you on paper because the culture drives results. However, the mindset of bankers is not a priority, while it clearly should be. If anyone tries to speak out, it's viewed as complaining and not being dedicated enough. This can't be summarized on paper for a 2 minute huddle though. When directors are stepping down monthly, clearly there is a push from the top down that is squeezing every last drop out of those willing to give all they have.

Ugh. The technology team is atrocious.

Current Employee - Intern in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Intern in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans as an intern

Pros

Endless coffee. Endless coffee. Yes, lots of coffee.

Cons

If you are a software engineer who actually understands the importance of things such as run-time complexity and documentation of code, stay far away from this place. They might be rated #1 in IT by some commercial magazine, but they certainly do not employ skilled engineers or emphasize good coding practices. Guys who dropped out of community college run entire dev teams and act as enforcers of one of the worst implementations of scrum I've ever encountered. Of course, it all makes sense when you consider what they pay these people -- to put it another way, QL thinks they can pay 20% below market value and attract top tech talent. LOL, sorry. Not in this market Dan.

ugh

Don't expect to have free time

Former Employee - Presidents Club Banker in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Presidents Club Banker in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great money making opportunity
    Great benefits
    Doesn't require college education of experience

Cons

No work life balance. Expected to work 2 Saturdays per month and 12-14 hour days are the norm.
    Culture is really changing and micro-management is leading to employees becoming robots.
    Absolutely ZERO loyalty. Bankers always get blamed for any negative experience that the client has.

Don't forget what led you to all of these awards you have won. Come out of your offices for a while and speak to bankers instead of relying on "yes men" RVPs.8