Quicken Loans

Updated November 18, 2014
3.8

Quicken Loans CEO Bill Emerson
Bill Emerson

Pros
  • I also had a chance to experience the work environment and why Quicken Loans is number one (in 28 reviews)

• Good benefits and perks with discounts at many restaurants and stores downtown (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is the number one reason team members leave QL (in 51 reviews)

• no work life balance, management cares about sales not necessarily the individuals (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast pace, unforgiving, client focused environment

Former Employee - Client Advocate in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Client Advocate in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Incentives in the kitchen (free snacks such as popcorn, chex mix, cereal in case you forgot breakfast), some great mentors/team leaders, ISMs (values/words to live by) are very positive, good benefits.

Cons

No work/life balance; the expectation is that if you're not working overtime or offering to do so then you are a slacker and not worth the company's time. The pay is very low for the amount of work you do and positions are so specialized to the point that you are performing the same monotonous thing all day long without any variation.

Positions are flooded with 25-35 somethings so it is very difficult to more up and even be noticed. Leaders are unforgiving and the client will have word over any team member 99.9% of the time, one mess up or complaint and you could be let go.

Quicken Loans staffs out majority of their entry level team members so that when the mortgage market shifts, they can lay off all of the contracted team members and their rates will still show as not having let anyone go since the hundreds of people let go were not actually "Quicken Loans Team Members"

Let your team members have a life outside of work, no one enjoys having zero time to sleep or have a family or even work out to improve their body and mental state. Have less team members and more variation in their work so that they can be entertained and not doing the same monotonous thing daily. More importantly, if the ISMs are such a big deal then actually live them and don't pretend to do so.

I only recommend it to people with no family and a thick skin.

Former Employee - $11 Per Hour Aerotek Contract House Worker At QL in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I liked the free cereal and Lipton tea. I also enjoyed calling "The Guy" when the computer was broken. Things were then fixed very quickly. When you work near skyscrapers, your ego becomes almost as big as a skyscraper.

Cons

I was an Aerotek employee at Quicken Loans. We received dozens of e-mails per day. Only a few pertained to us. However, if once in a blue moon we missed an e-mail, we received a nasty letter from the supervisor demanding why we did not respond.

Almost every single day, we were threatened by our supervisor. If you made a tiny mistake like clock in one minute early, clock in one minute late, or save something in the computer in the wrong place by accident, it was "Verbal. Written. Out the door." In the elevators, we only let off steam with people that we _really_ trusted. There was an atmosphere that someone might turn us in for being "negative." Then we might get fired.

Another issue was phone messages. If we were going to take a day off or go on vacation on a day that everyone goes on vacation, we had to change our phone messages to reflect the one missing day. If you receive calls from the public, I can understand it. Otherwise, I think it is a waste of time. Of course, if we did not do it, we were threatened with "Verbal. Written. Out the door."

What really stinks is that supervisors are not allowed to give references. When I was laid off in August 2013, I applied for a position in Quicken Loans as a real Quicken Loans employee, not an Aerotek contract house worker. Only one of four supervisors were willing to be a reference. The rest were too afraid to help me. That is some thanks for busting my rear for eight months and almost destroying my shoulder blades by typing almost non-stop for eight, nine, ten hours per day. I

left another job to come to Aerotek to work for Quicken Loans. Eight months later in late August, I was laid off with many other Aerotek employees. It happened the Friday before Labor Day. I guess Dan Gilbert did not want to pay us for Labor Day? It was a real slap in the face.

Because many of us had to park at the Lothrup Parking garage miles away, the commute was a real pain in the neck. Campus Martius is twelve miles away from my house. My commute (plus waiting for a shuttle between Campus Martius and Lothruop) probably took one hour each way. That averages to five minutes per mile.

First, treat Aerotek and Quicken Loans employees as humans, not as disposable slaves. Quicken Loans is only a mortgage company. It is not an Army division. It is not a hospital. If someone makes a mistake, no one will die.

Second, allow criticism of the company. A little negativity is a good thing, if the critique is correct.

Third, almost everyone in Metro Detroit says that a newly hired Aerotek/Quicken Loan employee will not last long. QL has become a joke.

BGT Training

Former Employee - Banker Training in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Banker Training in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paid for training
    Benefits
    Company Culture/ Values
    Great compensation for recent graduate

Cons

Long Hours
    Intensive training
    Tough work- Life balance
    Strict atmosphere

you get out what you put in

Former Employee - Mortgage Operations Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Mortgage Operations Specialist in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Many perks of working for quicken in the city of detroit, many discounts.
    Great culture and very relaxed.
    Leadership is great i had some great team leaders during my time.

Cons

No personal life, most of your time will be spent at work.

The work-life balance should be improved i believe.

good pay, long hours, fun work place

Current Employee - Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Mortgage Banker in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good pay fun work place

Cons

long hours very stressful no life work balance

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing workplace culture that you won't find many other places. Team oriented atmosphere with a lot of energy and positive leadership. Training and benefits are good and there is a lot of opportunity to move around in the company. The internship program brings in 1000 college students in the summer and the company is extremely involved in giving back to the community which is nice to be proud of!

Cons

Nothing I can think of worth complaining about.

Thanks!

Best internship experience I've ever had.

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The team members really believe in the company's ISMs (values) and demonstrate them on a daily basis.
    Team leaders are more than willing to help you in any way possible to ensure that you get exactly what you want out of the internship.
    Plenty of opportunities to branch out of your team and learn about other areas of the business.

Cons

Some tasks can get a bit mundane and administrative, so you need to push the fact that you want to do more or have more responsibility.

Great lively experince that gives young individuals exposure to a huge diverse company.

I worked at Quicken Loans as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

You have many opportunities to try different aspects of the business and enjoy a awesome internship experience. There are after work events planned and great speakers to listen too. And you get paid hourly!

Cons

Can be too large of an organization and you can get lost unless you find your ground.

Awesome work culture and powerful leaders who can drive the business in a right direction

Current Employee - SQL Database Administrator in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - SQL Database Administrator in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Quicken Loans full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Cons

Compensations are good but not competitive with other companies.

Keep up the great work

Incredible Internship

Former Employee - Banking Intern in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Banking Intern in Detroit, MI

I worked at Quicken Loans as an intern

Pros

No negatives for the internship. Fun with great work experience and the work environment is top notch.

Cons

The full-time mortgage bankers seem incredibly stressed daily and turnover is high.