Quid

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kevin Freedman

Smart team, ambitious mission with potential for big impact

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- smart, diverse team
    - ambitious mission
    - high-growth company
    - interesting, big name clients
    - good perks
    - great location

Cons- top heavy team, which can cause intra-managment disagreements/disruptions
    - although gaining clarity more recently, the software has made slow progress to date due to lack of unified vision

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure there is a unified, robust vision for the software product. Follow that vision closely; remove obstacles that stall that vision, including intra-management disagreements.

Exciting company

ProsAmazing product
    Smart people
    Friendly and fun co-workers

ConsSome dysfunctional decision processes
    Need to focus more

If you can wrap your head over the magnitude of the opportunity you will never want to leave

ProsThe problem is one of the most intellectually stimulating I have ever seen
    The people here are diverse - and cross technical and artistic
    We execute very well and adapt to shortcomings
    Work/life balance

Consgetting credit and recognition for valuable contributions - the founders aren't the only brilliant people here

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive for building a phenomenal product and success, fame and fortune will follow

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Tripping over its own feet

(Current Employee)

ProsTackling a difficult problem. Successful service product. Some very passionate and intelligent people at the ground. No real competitors (aka we discovered the market).

ConsVery slow progress being made on the software product, largely due to lack of processes and contradictory visions. Heavily silo'ed and top-heavy team (nearly 2/3rds of the company are "managers' or above). Lack of accountability. Generally dissatisfied employees. Low compensation, opportunities for advancement. "A" people are leaving, "B" people are bringing in "C" people.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeparate heads for engineering and product. Don't assume CTO is/has been/will be valuable to the company.

Great talent, unfortunate management who don't understand product

Engineer (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsThey bring in some of the best engineers and analysts around.

ConsThe management changes plans every morning. They constantly get ahead of what can be done by the engineers.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more trust in your team since you don't know how to make the product.

positive changes in 2012

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros- work on a hard problem with a huge impact
    - interesting, diverse, nice coworkers
    - big name clients
    - perks (401k, gym, free food, next to a park, convenient to muni)
    - learn a lot quickly

Cons- ups and downs can be stressful

Advice to Senior Management- simplify the product.
    - don't be afraid to make hard decisions.

Worst of both worlds: bureaucratic corporate feel with startup hours

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGreat benefits with a fancy gym, nice library, free snacks and you get an iPad. The product itself is pretty cool. Location of office is nice. Meetings in the park.

ConsThere was a lot of corporate-style pigeonholing. You have to go through your manager to communicate with the guy who sits right next to you, which seemed silly. In a startup, with a few dozen people, you're supposed to work collaboratively. A lot of unhappy people work there, and you can feel it, after I ;eft, there has been a lot of turnover. Long hours, as are expected in a startup, but you don't really feel like part of a team.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a lot of brilliant minds working there. Let them do their thing, don't bog them down with middle management hovering over their shoulders. It should be about collaboration!

Interesting problems, lots of freedom.

Engineer (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSalary, benefits, location, topics, problems are lots of fun. Workplace is a relaxed atmosphere, and the location is right next to the bay. Across the street from a nice park.

ConsCollaborative culture needs some work, as does upper management. There has been a lot of turnover, but most of it is improving the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive us some direction!

Quid is a good place to work, but there are ups and downs.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

Pros-Academically smart co workers (+++)
    -We use the latest technology stack
    -CEO has vision and influence
    -Good work/ life balance
    -Consultants are selling work
    -Good investment team (Ron Conway, Founders Fund, Peter Tiel, Max Levchin, Atomico Ventures)

Cons-Company is more academically focused than business focused
    -Company is more consulting focused than technology focused
    -CTO is not technical
    -Engineers are dissatisfied
    -Senior Management is poor at communication (emails, being on time to meetings, coming into the office)
    -Company lacks transparency
    -Company equity packages are low
    -Big issues are handled poorly

Great place to be, but salary could go up a bit

ProsGood team, good people, good environment. Very interesting problems to work on. Excellent client list/experience opportunities. Company could set up important standards in the field.

ConsLow salary even for a startup (even considering stock options). Raises are small/hard to get. It's not clear if the company vision is shared across different c-level executives. Brand marketing is poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more responsibility to people who show competence and understand the business. Better bonus/raise system.

Worked for Quid? Contribute to the Community!