Quidsi Reviews

Reset
2.8
Quidsi Chief Executive Officer Emilie Arel Scott
Emilie Arel Scott

Pros
  • Wow" customer service philosophy (in 3 reviews)

• Reasonable dress code (some people wear business casual, some wear jeans (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is nonexistent if you want to do your job well (as is expected by your boss) (in 4 reviews)

• Customer Care attendance policy woes (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are lots of pros to working at Quidsi. We are empowered to be creative and lead large projects. Work/life balance is encouraged and supported. As a single mom, what I value the most is the flexibility to adjust my schedule, work from home, or take time off to meet my personal needs. My manager supports my career growth and is also my mentor. The views are breathtaking. Benefits and salary are among the best in the region - highly competitive.

Cons

There have been many changes at the company - some good, some not so good. However, our leaders are very open and communicate business updates weekly. I'm excited about the future of the company and I'm honored to be part of a company that truly cares about doing the right things for our internal and external customers.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open, listen to our feedback, and taking action. It's paying off.

If you work in customer care, you'll be treated like you don't matter

Current Employee - Customer Care in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Care in Jersey City, NJ

Pros

Pay rate is on the high end for customer care

Cons

It's probably a great place to work if you AREN'T in customer care. But if you are, expect to watch from the sidelines while the rest of the company gets all kinds of perks and benefits that you don't. Customer care operates 24/7 which means you can kiss holidays good bye. The "official" policy (which changes at the drop of a hat) is that every customer care rep has to work two holidays. Doesn't sound so bad until you find out that the holidays are considered the actual date of the holiday - for example, 4th of July fell on a Sunday, so if you are scheduled Monday-Friday, you didn't work the holiday. Monday, the 5th of July is the legal holiday for the rest of the world, and for non-customer care employees who all had it off. But if a customer care rep works that day, it doesn't count as one of your two holidays. You work the legal holiday AND you will get stuck working Thanksgiving and/or Christmas - yes, they will be open, but only Customer Care. The rest of the company of course has it off. And no, you don't get a comp day to make up for it. They make a big deal out of giving us things like bagel day and birthday cupcakes, but these are always scheduled at a time that's convenient for the non-CC employess. CC reps working nights or weekends miss out. The owners give a lot of lip service to how the company is one big happy family and brag how they know everyone's name. In reality, if you happen to come across one of them away from their inner sanctums, they both look away and pretend they don't see you. Vacation policy is lame, you get 2 weeks with no hope of earning more with seniority, and 6 sick/personal days. Health insurance is about average. Dental is awful. Customer Care is overcrowded with people sharing desks - the rest of the co, of course, gets their own private spaces. And there's no hope of getting OUT of Customer Care once you're in - job opportunities are not posted internally, although the non CCs are forever getting promoted to director of something or other. If you see a posting on Monster and apply for it, you won't be acknowleged. CC reps with seniority are expected to train new hires and take supervisor calls without receiving trainer/supervisor pay if the managers don't feel like doing it themselves. Horrible place to work. Stay away.

Advice to Management

Show customer care some respect. Give us the same perks you give your elite. Give us a chance to advance by posting internal job openings. Make us feel like we matter.

If you are smart and talented (and want a life outside of work) look elsewhere

Former Employee - Manager/Director Merchandising in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Manager/Director Merchandising in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Quidsi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Well-stocked kitchen Nice view of the Hudson

Cons

Very high turnover due to: Senior management who doesn't communicate down well, and then later places the blame on those subordinates More emphasis placed on where your degree is from (Ivy) rather than if you are smart or likable to work with Too many in senior management positions who have a chip on their shoulder Sweatshop hours - no work/life balance - try to leave work before 6pm (to go and work at home) and get the stink eye

Advice to Management

Stop hiring/promoting people who are miserable people

Terrible, awful place to work unless you are a clown by trade.

Pros

The company tosses silly little incentives your way such as free snacks, games etc to keep you in line. Fun atmosphere.

Cons

As a customer care representative, you will be treated not like a valued member of the team, but a disposable Quidsi commodity. Just about every week there is an “Announcement” email from HR notifying the remaining employees that so and so is no long employed here and that they are “wish[ed] well in their future endeavors.” Management pretends to care about you, but in reality is a team of actors who are just out to make sure you don’t expend your 18 month Quidsi shelf life. You have to be an animated, overly enthusiastic clown to even be recognized as a person here. Soon after being hired you will begin to recognize that this position is far from how it was advertised. You are not getting anywhere in this company, certainly not out of customer care unless you yield from an ivy league college and you are under the age of 30. In fact, prior to Quidsi being acquired by Amazon, the company description that accompanied its online job postings read something along the lines of “we are a team of young, enthusiastic individuals.” Isn’t that age discrimination? Even so, this is just one of the company’s many hidden pitfalls. Perhaps you’re reading this and saying, “but I graduated from a top 50 university and I have a Masters degree in my field, certainly I can be an asset to Quidsi!” Nope. Sorry. That will get you nowhere as far as HR is concerned. This company does not practice equal opportunity hiring. The African Americans and Hispanics are corralled into Customer Care no matter what qualifications they may possess, with no chance of moving up in the company. Yes, even with a Masters Degree in Merchandising, if you are African American, you are automatically tossed into Customer Care while someone of a different race, hailing from community college enjoys the benefits of a full time merchandising position, a normal schedule and a sense of self worth. As a Customer Care Representative, if you express interest in moving to other departments/positions, management and HR will interpret this as dissatisfaction with your job. They will then scrape up some seemingly unrelated reason to fire you. In customer care, you are hired for a specific schedule which will include weekends and evenings. You are promised the opportunity to change your schedule after 6 months, but if your manager favors you, you can bypass the red tape and score a better schedule sooner. Representatives are encouraged to report gossip about other employees to management. On the same token, management is constantly fishing for information about employees in order to determine who may be dissatisfied with their position. It is not long before a hardworking rep is shuffled out of the Quidsi doors because of something that was perceived and then whispered to a manager. You are judged, not by your skills and abilities, but the depth with which you can regurgitate the phrase ‘I’m so sorry your order was late.” without sounding robotic. If only the customer on the other end of the phone knew that with every word you utter, you have the gun of unemployment pressed against your head. You do not have an assigned seat or your own space to keep your belongings. If you leave something in your workspace after your leave your shift, it will either get trashed by management or stolen by other employees. If you say something about it to management, this will be interpreted as insubordination and you will become another Quidsi casualty…for something completely unrelated of course. It’s best to keep quiet altogether around these parts. In reality, there is not enough space for all of Customer Care, they overhire and execute Quidsi cleansings from time to time.

Bipolar culture

Former Employee - Former Employee
    Former Employee - Former Employee

I worked at Quidsi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free/promotional stuff, great offices, and that's about it.

Cons

Quidsi's going through an awkward growth spurt. Not quite a start up, not quite a mid-sized company, they're struggling with how to remain efficient. The overlap of roles and responsibilities is ridiculous. Often you'll find three people in different verticals all working on the same things and there's nothing being done about the redundancy. Why? It boils down to the fact that there's zero leadership in the company. Instead, HR has handed down processes and checkpoints that make it even harder to get things done. People are promoted or hired who have no previous leadership or online experience. You will be micro managed and sit in meetings where basic marketing concepts need to be explained to someone in a senior position.

Advice to Management

Focus on cleaning house internally, then hire people who can actually lead a team.

Apply somewhere else

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Quidsi full-time

Pros

Snacks, Insurance and Benefits, fantastic Co-Workers, discount on websites

Cons

poor management, schedules are a joke if you haven't worked for the company for 2+ years, you are graded on your calls and emails which is stressful and grading system is biased, barely compensated for doing a great job, there is a point system so if you are late or if you give a last minute notice you will not be able to come to work because you are sick, you get points (6 points and you are fired).

Advice to Management

Quit

Only reason I stay is because I have a job.

Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Gouldsboro, PA
    Current Employee - Fulfillment Specialist in Gouldsboro, PA

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Affordable insurance since Amazon take-over

Cons

Lack of communication within management. Lack of communication between management and employees. Constant and erratic changes of processes and procedures. Complete lack of thought for application of new procedures. Employees are essentially treated like cattle. Point system is a joke (website says paid vacation and holidays. If you don't earn the time off, AND have it approved, you get no time off. Sick days? Same pool of Paid Time off, and it's a complete joke). HR couldn't care less about employees. Pay grade is poor. Turnover is super high. Absolutely no care for a degree in any way. Promotions based on attendance, NOT performance or longevity of employment. Typically useless coworkers. "Mandatory" overtime without any notice. "Final Written Warning" for any breach of rules and regulations, without prior warnings or coaching of any kind.

Advice to Management

Quit screwing around. The people in the office run the building, yet they don't know anything outside their 4 walls. How do things actually work on the warehouse floor? If ANY member of management had any real idea of employee conditions (application of procedures, typical hurdles, etc), things might change. Favoritism is an extreme.

Used to be a great company but don't join now

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Quidsi full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Still awesome people and great CEO and COO

Cons

Poor management, after merger with Amazon lost small company individuality, lost passion and happiness. Managers and above just waiting to get their stocks before leave.

Advice to Management

Don't hire unprofessional managers

Treated like a replaceable piece of garbage.

Former Employee - Photographer in Gouldsboro, PA
    Former Employee - Photographer in Gouldsboro, PA

I worked at Quidsi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice equipment. No work on weekends.

Cons

Corrupt administration, human resources refuses to help employees, managers harass employees, turnover rate of employees is extremely high, will get fired for unimportant reasons, unsympathetic, unfair pay.

Advice to Management

Pay close attention to who you place in charge. And listen more to what your employees have to say.

A joke.

Current Employee - Designer in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Designer in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Love the sites, products, customer service, brand. I was excited to work on a site/product that I would actually use. In fact, I still do. There's a great mix of people, so you're bound to find a close-knit group of friends from the people you meet here. Amazon benefits. The discounts, perks, stock options, benefits were great. I'd describe the culture as corporate-fun. If you came from an uber corporate company, this would be a fun place to work for you. If you came from a true start-up, you'll probably want to vomit a little at the forced 'start-up' culture they put into place.

Cons

Management is unorganized and disrespectful to their staff, especially the marketing creative team. They still claim to be a "start-up", which is their poor excuse for forcing their designers to work 60 hours a week and make last minute changes after projects are finalized. I'm sure it used to be a fun place work at before the Amazon acquisition, but now it's just a big corporation who's losing money and customers because upper management doesn't know how to make decisions that POSITIVELY affect their customers. Middle and upper management are always wishy-washy about their decisions, and creative always gets the brunt of the back and forth. Chances are, you'll start off as a freelancer and they'll try to reel you in as a full-time employee after a while. Don't do it. Trust me. Meetings upon meetings upon meetings. Too many meetings about having more meetings.

RSS Feed </> Embed