Quidsi Reviews

Reset
2.7
Quidsi Chief Executive Officer Emilie Arel Scott
Emilie Arel Scott

Pros
  • Wow" customer service philosophy (in 3 reviews)

• Reasonable dress code (some people wear business casual, some wear jeans (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is nonexistent if you want to do your job well (as is expected by your boss) (in 4 reviews)

• Customer Care attendance policy woes (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Tight knit teams, fun environment, lots of development opportunities

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi

Pros

Tight knit teams, fun environment, lots of development opportunities
    Super easy commute from World Trade Center
    Autonomy with internal projects
    I was a customer for years prior to joining. Every interaction with the customer care team has been amazing, which was the big reason I decided to join.
    The Employee Services team comes up with the most creative ideas to ensure we are all taken care of - from cinco de mayo to subsidized music lessons to take your kids to work day, they go above and beyond to ensure everyone is happy
    General development opportunities - SDE bootcamp, Ted talks Fridays, internal development courses, etc.

Cons

Your responsible for bringing yourself up to speed and figuring out where to go for info. This is the flip side to having an autonomous work environment.

Advice to Management

None - everyone is doing a great job. All hands meetings ensure visibility into company wide goals.

Run away and run fast!

I have been working at Quidsi full-time

Pros

Smart and talented people even though more and more are leaving
    CFO and CEO acting has been doing a terrific job turning the company financial around
    No dress code
    Work Life Balance
    Much lower standards and easier upward mobility, especially getting to levels 6 and 7 (seems they will promote just anyone who has been with the company for more than two years regardless qualification)
    Plenty of fake reviews posted by HR after each bad review

Cons

Huge focus on 3rd party platforms for amazon and not enough on driving traffic to its own websites
    Lack of direction from leadership
    Poor financial planning, the planned numbers are often impossible
    Constant reorganizations and pivoting
    Lack of IT resources
    Not hiring/replacing talents at the rate of attrition
    Absent CEO and bad retail leadership (both of which comes from marketing and do not understand retail basics of merchandising or operations )
    Unprofitable, still losing tons of cash
    Accounting not paying bills
    Lack resources for anyone outside the baby team
    A lot of stress and pressure
    Bad Planning and Forecasting team, they don't know what they are doing yet management still values their input. Their poorly used open to buy based on a flawed inventory and sales model has blown inventory out of proportion since last year. The $ investment for inventory to $ return has went downhill since open to buy has been introduced. We are spending a lot more money holding on to inventory than actually selling it. There is a reason why amazon does not use open to buy. Leadership needs to understand Ecommerce is not traditional retail.
    The supply chain team was considered a strength for Quidsi not too long ago but the planners drove out so many members and leaders on the supply chain team over the past 6 months. Now it is considered a weakness.
    Low bar for hiring and Nepotism- will hire people with 3 or 4 years of experience without an MBA to be level 6s if they know the CEO from Gap (unheard of in Amazon). Barnes and Noble employees for IT is another example of nepotism.
    Talents are leaving on a weekly basis, there isn't a single person in the company that is not exploring other opportunities
    Lack of motivation, people are just doing what they need to get by and not putting forth the effort to go above and beyond. i.e. working 9-5 and go home

Advice to Management

Put the power back into the hands of the CFO, get rid of the planners, drive productivity and get to profitability.

Please disregard the fake 5-star reviews!

Current Employee - Category Manager in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Category Manager in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi

Pros

Amazon discount
    Quidsi discount
    The Amazon name on your resume

If you're on the right team, Quidsi can be a pretty ok place to work. There are still a lot of great people here, but every week, that number seems to drop as more and more choose to jump from this sinking ship.

Cons

I wouldn't normally write a review, but the egregiously false 5-star reviews someone(s) from HR is posting are making me absolutely nauseous.

The workplace has really deteriorated in the last year, especially in the last 5 months. Sales targets and plans seem to change every other week, and teams are stretched to hit them given the lack of manpower and resources. Hiring lots of smart directors at the end of last year was supposed to turn the company around and eliminate the need for data entry associates. Unfortunately, that didn't work out so well and ended up being REALLY expensive. Welcome to painful cost-cutting. No, I do not need a free bagel on Friday, but we also didn't need five new directors to sit in meetings all day.

Amazon's tools aren't well-integrated and there is a LOT of manual data entry work happening several levels above data entry associates. Company structure ends up pitting teams against each other vs working together, and creates a clique-y work environment and exacerbates office politics.

Advice to Management

Wake up! Turnover has been crazy-high for months. It's depressing when every happy hour is a going away happy hour and no one believes in the company vision. Leadership is anything but transparent in All Hands meetings, and morale is at an all-time low.

SINKING SHIP

I worked at Quidsi

Pros

The people (the few who remain for the time being) are very intellectual and a pleasure to work with. Unfortunately that is all that remains for the pros.

Cons

Company is going through a period of HEAVY budget cuts
    Manual process work that a kid out of high school could do
    Horrible communication from leadership
    No backfills for folks who leave, leaving those who remain with a great deal on their plate
    Dwindling culture

Advice to Management

Downsize the amount of leaders/directors and focus on building from the ground up. Quidsi has become a very top heavy organization, which would work if all processes were automated. Unfortunately, almost everything is manual and there are not enough people in those level 3 positions to get the work done. When level 6 folks are editing purchase orders, you know you need to make a change.

DO NOT COME ON THIS SINKING SHIP

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Quidsi full-time

Pros

Smart and competent people especially in finance, special ops and supply chain (definitely not planning)
    Easy commute from Manhattan
    10-30% discount on Quidsi sites
    Access to Amazon's network
    Amazon stock
    Plenty of fake reviews posted by HR after each bad review

Cons

TO THOSE INTERESTED IN APPLYING- DO NOT WORK HERE!!! TO THOSE ALREADY HERE, I DONT HAVE TO SAY MUCH, YOU ALREADY KNOW, SO GET OUT FAST!!!

Despite the fact the previous Leadership stressed that this company is not a sinking ship, IT IS! It may not have many years left as amazon is running out of patience. Quidsi has been trying to get to profitability since launch and have not yet done so. Although Quidsi is making progress especially with the pivot to baby consumables and amazon marketplace, it is unlikely that it will be able to get there this year with such aggressive plan in place and categories missing it on a weekly basis. Maybe it can hit it with enough people leaving the company. ;)

The company is facing so many issues. Morale is low as more people leave and backfills are on hold or don't come at all. The remaining talents are stuck with more work leading to more departures. It is a bad cycle that no one wants to be part of. They recently cut a wave of customer care reps' hours and forced half of people to become part time. Anyone unwilling to take the offer is asked to leave. The accounting department lost more than half of its managers in a few of weeks and it is in crisis mode. Vendors are never paid on time leading to lots of credit holds. Morale is now at an all time low. The management's idea to fix it is to transfer some customer care reps into other functions. But is it realistic to expect this move to save the company from the current downward spiral? You cannot replace business managers with data entry people and expect the same value and output to be created.

The organization is extremely top heavy and it seems like they will promote anyone who has been here awhile. Often promotions are tenure and relationship based rather than merit. There are so many undeserving promotions in the company as a result. It's always the same group of people getting promoted. There are also a number of top talents that left bc of lack of recognition based on merit.

There are also physical constraints such as capacity issues at the warehouses. The problem is created largely due to the inexperience of the planning team launching open to buy without making adjustments according to sales. Inventory were bought according a made up plan to accommodate the planned sales despite actual sales coming way under. The organizational structure is also flawed as the planners have no knowledge of supply chain tools and systems yet they are managing the supply chain for certain categories. Supply chain cannot push back on the purchases yet they are taking the blame for high inventory caused by the planners and merch. The planners are not well liked nor respected by their peers yet the management seem to put a high value on them. While in reality all they do is to run the flawed open to buy models which amazon does not use, perform useless retail math trainings and point fingers at supply chain when bad things happen. This structure is bound to fail and lead to more attrition.

Advice to Management

Fix all the issues above or find a new job soon

Customer Service - Run far, Run Fast

Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Customer Care Representative in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Quidsi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

No dress code, free snacks in the break room, towards the end they offered a happy hour on Thursdays with beer.

Cons

It started out great at the company. I had to work the night shift, which wasn't that great, but that was the only con.... at first. I was told when I was hired that my night shift (9pm to 5:30am) would only be for 5-6 months. Then when they hired new people I would be moved up to days. After months of constant complaints that they were hiring new people with day shifts and us night people were getting stuck, they finally did a shift bid. It only took 20 people quitting in a span of 2 months.

Once I went to days, it only seemed to get worse though. I was monitored on everything. "Why are you on bathroom break for more than 3-4 minutes?" When I was hired, I was told to throw things like average handle time out the window. Because at Quidsi, they care about their customers and don't care about metrics. Yeah.. that changed really quick when I was on days. I'm being told my emails should only be 3-6 minutes, BUT they should still be personalized and customer-centric like they were before. I was constantly told I wasn't friendly enough. I was too "professional." They didn't want professional friendliness. They wanted me to talk to them like I was talking to my friend, but I had to do it in 4 minutes or less!

We had these monthly meetings were we could make comments to management. They never cared about anything we had to say. Everything was always, "We're working on it." Solutions were never in site. They were always putting new policies in place and sending our blast emails to customers about how something big was about to change. Then we would be bombarded with calls and emails telling us how horrible the company is for doing the change. We were usually given little to no notice that these changes were going to be put in place. They changed their loyalty promotion program 5 times in the 2.5 years I worked there.

The attendance point system was created in such a way that you were basically set up to fail. That job stressed me out so much, and I had such a hard time finding a new job that I started to see a therapist. Who's main advice was to leave the company. The stress started to give me migraines, and I had FMLA for intermittent leave. I was constantly harassed about my days I would take off.

When I had to take 2 weeks of short term leave. I had to have emergency eye surgery. Upper management harassed my doctor multiple times a day to make sure it was legit. My doctor had to call me to ask me to ask my manager to stop calling him. I had all the paperwork filled out immediately so there was no reason to be obsessively calling them to check.

But I guess it doesn't matter as I've heard they outsourced the department to the Philippines

Advice to Management

Stop treating your customer care people like trash.

Don't do it!

Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Jersey City, NJ
    Current Employee - Customer Care Associate in Jersey City, NJ

I have been working at Quidsi

Pros

Nice people, benefits decent, comfortable office, can wear what you please.

Cons

Enjoy constant unpleasant surprises, being made to feel like crap due to constant scrutiny, and no job security. Also, trust no one. You won't get anywhere unless you kiss butt.

Advice to Management

Recognize that people are not robots. Stop turning an easy job into a difficult one.

Customer Care: Horrible Dept.

I have been working at Quidsi

Pros

--One gets a paycheck. One appreciates that.

Cons

--Sub-sub-par management. Besides not being very skilled in experience and in practice, the customer service "higher-ups" are just not very nice people. The phoniness is stiflingly obvious.
    --Some of the people who shine in customer care are people who are good at kissing all kinds of backside and looking busy. They are favored as they walk about, attempting to condescend to others while they try to climb over each other in the pathetically-limited realm of customer care. Very, very limited individuals creating a very, very limiting work environment.
    --Most of the supervisors are just trying to keep their jobs. Skill, knowledge, and accountability don't seem to factor into their daily reign. Just covering their backsides and, some, being inexplicably arrogant. I can't see some of them working anywhere else--let alone supervising elsewhere.
    --A lot of dead weight. People who've worked there a long time who don't produce much and have little to contribute. But know how to play the game.
    --Morale is EXTREMELY low.
    --HR severely lacking, as evidenced by scheduling and handling of in-house "interviews".
    --HR and management: Now that about half of the customer care agents are officially losing their full-time jobs to outsourcing, the obvious should be stated. With so many worthy African Americans in that dept, so many were NOT encouraged and chosen for other positions in the company. Or for rotations in other departments that led to permanent positions. No one can argue what that congratulatory email clearly shows: the fact that, for whatever reason, A LOT of white faces were served up a hearty helping of job security before the announcement that the rest of the dept would be subject to the garbage heap.

Advice to Management

You're really a horrid group of people. Because of the way you operate and maneuver (manure-ver, really), with nothing but disrespect, and in a lot of cases, disdain, for the CSA's who work under you. The way that you're handling this outsourcing is suspect, and you know that we know that you know that--and you don't care. Just as long you and yours keep jobs at Quidsi, it's all good in your....hemisphere. But I get it. Where else could you possibly go, right?

DO NOT ACCEPT A JOB HERE!

Current Employee - Associate Director
    Current Employee - Associate Director

I have been working at Quidsi full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people
    Easy commute from Manhattan
    10-30% discount on Quidsi sites
    Access to Amazon's network
    Amazon stock

Cons

If you're reading this in 2015 and you are interested in working for Quidsi, please read this review carefully, since I want to debunk a lot of the lies that HR and management will tell you to get you in:

1) Quidsi is not data-driven like Amazon, it does not have the same tools as Amazon, nor does it actually use the best third-party tools.

What this means is that you don't get the same tools and data and dashboards that Amazon has. SO MANY new hires have come here thinking that they'll learn from Amazon, the best in class, but Quidsi is NOT Amazon - their systems and infrastructure haven't changed since 2009. Data integrity is terrilble and you will set up your own manual dashboards in Excel using DIY pivot tables. Depending on which server you download data from, your data will look different. Want to analyze a marketing funnel (acquisition to conversion) - you'll have to use the free version of Google Analytics which isn't set up correctly. Want to do customer analysis (cohort, LTV, etc) maybe using a tool like Custora, etc? Nope, unless you're wiling to get your hands dirty in SQL and DIY, no analysis is done at the customer level. Want to run A/B tests using Optimizely or equivalent tools that allow you to set up a test in minutes to see what converts better? Sorry, we don't have any you can use- there is one tool that only allows very few tests and only on certain pages of the site, so you'll have to work with a software dev to set it up and it'll take forever and you will have to write a lengthy justification. Want to understand what's happening in the mobile apps? Good luck- they don't even track mobile KPIs and there's not even a mobile dashboard.

2) Similarly, you won't learn best practices in e-commerce.
    The lack of data and tools that automate tracking and monitoring of basic metrics mean that a lot of stuff doesn't get looked at properly. No optimization of the shopping experience itself takes place because it's practically a static site (no personalization, etc). If you work in the retail business you will spend a lot of the time deciding what promotions to run when you get funding from vendors, and creative will put banners all over the site, but forget experimentation, customer segmentation and targeting, etc. The way the retail team is set up is very antiquated and mimics brick-and-mortar, as opposed to online retail structures seen elsewhere and also seen in Amazon itself.

3) You won't have access to engineering resources. None.

Here's the brief story: the not-so-brilliant original cofounders of Quidsi outsourced the entire tech infrastructure to a company in China. It's become clunky and expensive and outdated tech and Amazon decided to bring tech in-house and integrate Quidsi into the Amazon stack. The ïntegration" process has been taking two years and is set to take another two more to complete. In the meantime, Quidsi brilliantly fired the Chinese company but there aren't enough engineers to work on the migration process AND be available for any kind of project. If you need any tech resource at all you will need to make a big case with senior management to get any prioritization.

4) Your job will change every 2-3 months. IN A BAD WAY. YOU WILL DO A LOT OF MANUAL ENTRY AND WORK YOU ARE OVERQUALIFIED FOR

Let me give you some examples from different sections of the company
    -Someone was hired to work in merchandising. This person had a good background and career as a merchandiser. After 2 months they decided they wanted more people to work on selling Quidsi inventory on Amazon Prime, but they didn;t have budget to hire. So they put this person on it. Except, as you'll recall, there are no engineering resources, so this process wasn't automated. There is now a team of overqualified retail professionals who are doing manual data entry, uploading inventory on Prime. At one point they asked for temps, teps that didn't even need a college job, to do this work, but that didn't fly. Sorry, no budget.

-Another somewhat infamous story is of a senior executive from a large corp with an impressive resume, who was hired at the very end of 2014 to lead and grow Afterschool.com. A few weeks after they started their job in January 2015, leadership shut down Afterschool.com and moved that person to do a completely unrelated job, that does nothing for their career.

-We celebrated when they hired a Director of Analytics. The idea was that they would build out an analytics team that would address all the major issues above. Instead, they hired this very senior person and shortly after announced there wasn't budget for them to build a team. As a result, this person is running SQL queries and doing data analysis manually for very specific projects (i.e. working as an entry level data analyst) - and the company still doesn't have an analytics team or analytics in general.

-Another person transferred their role as Sr. Product Manager from Amazon, and HR promised that they would have the same type of job. When they showed up, they learned there were no actual product managers at Quidsi. They were then placed to work in a retail role.

5) They are in COST-CUTTING mode

Last year the people they hired were pitched that we are in growth, just smarter growth, you know, looking to grow profitably. Within months they changed the speech to cost cutting officially. This month they are back to saying maybe we might be ready to step on the gas pedal again. Realistically, they cut all marketing budgets, froze hiring, took tech resources away from all teams, etc. so don't believe whatever they say. They cut online marketing and the people on the marketing teams spend their time coming up with partnerships/placements they can get for free, and drafting emails to send out.

6) HR and leadership will lie or obfuscate. Communications are terrible

They've hired people for roles they removed two months later. They've hired people to build out teams only to say we don't have budgte after all. Leadership knew they would have to fire the few temps we had over a month in advance when results came in - yet some people were told with plenty of time to transition and others were told that they had to fire their temps within the next 3 days. Another laughable case around the same time was when leadership decided to cost cut by slashing off a huge amount of the marketing budget across the entire company. In the all-hands meeting, they spent 15 minutes talking about how nifty-thrifty we were all being by no longer having free bagels on friday or yogurts in the fridge, and never once even addressing the fact that they had cut every team's budget and told them to fire people, which was on everyone's mind.

7) Work in tech? Just know it's not a product managed organization.

Retail just owns inventory and pricing. Ops owns supply chain, transportation etc. UX owns little tweaks (remember the site templates and design were set up in China and are static) and is not responsible in any way for improving conversion or accountable for any metric. Tech does integration and that's it, or maintenance of systems. But the site and the shoppping experience is not viewed as a product the way it is at every single tech company. There is a Project Management Org - every time you need anything done (eg. a report created, a bug fixed, etc) you submit the ticket and a group of people will decide where it belongs in the queue. You will not be "making" anything as an engineer. You will be ensuring that crappy infrastructure built over 10 years ago does not collapse. That's it.

8) It's a very top-heavy org.

There are more level 6 and level 7s (senior managers) than there are junior people.
    This means that if you are a manager, you will likely be managing almost no-one and be doing the junior work yourself. It also means that you will have a lot of directors, senior directors, and VPs above you. One of the huge problems at Quidsi is that there aren't enough people to just execute on stuff, and a lot fo people "managing" or overseeing. Every week since the start of 2015 more and more people have been leaving which has made it worse since junior or mid level people are leaving but all the directors are staying. When the cost-cutting mode became official and resources were taken from all teams, even more people began to leave - which management was ok with since having less people is a great way to cut costs! But now it's so bad -10 leaving per week in corporate- that they are forced to hire people. Unfortunately, it seems that again they will hire level 6s or more senior to "build" out teams with inexistent budgets.

I cannot stress this enough - you will be doing a lot of stuff (manually) that is fine if you're just out of undergrad, but ridiculous if you have over a year of work experience. While at startups, in the beginning you have to do things yourself and then as you grow you build out a team and move up, that's not the case here. First, there's no budget for anything and they're looking to cost costs further. Second, because the seinor people aren't leaving, you won't get to move up , not really. Just now they announced a bunch of promotions for all the people that haven't quit, so now there are even more associate directors, directors and senior directors because that's the only thing they can offer these people.

DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY.
    I've been here roughly two years. I was lured in by the story of how the company was in post-acquisition transition mode, that new, smart people (like myself), with great ideas, were being brought in. That they were bring in a brilliant new team to right the ship. This is what they told me when I raised all the objections I had read about online at the time. Stupid naive and egotistical fool that I was, I believed them, that now it was different and they were moving past the transition pains. I suffered from Hero complex and believed that of course I could turn around this company and save it with my brilliance. Alas, it is so so hard to get anything done here, for all the reasons named above. Working here, I can tell you that nothing has changed, it's bad, and you put your career at risk working for this company.

As soon as my stock vests, I am out of here. I will have to lie on my resume and LinkedIn about all the things we accomplished as well as how I am in tune with best practices, because I'm not - nobody working here is. Everyone is smart and does the best they can, but manual efforts with no resources just don't scale.

Advice to Management

Please address all the things above. Leadership is terrible. In my entire career I've never worked at a company that had worse communications and leadership issues.

Not too sure

I have been working at Quidsi

Pros

Good people. Some of the supervisors are very helpful

Cons

Now that they are outsourcing, you are not sure where you stand in the company in regards to Customer Care.

RSS Feed </> Embed