Quigley-Simpson

Quigley-Simpson Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

Gerald Bagg

Quigley-Simpson

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat environment and people to work with.

ConsPoor work-life balance and a lot of turnover.

I HAVE FOUND THE RIGHT PLACE FOR ME

ProsI have had four jobs in my career spanning about ten years of employment, and by far my job at Quigley-Simpson where I currently work has been the best so far. In order to know what’s good, you really have to be able to compare the various jobs you have had in the past. Entry-level jobs are seldom as rewarding as what you want them to be. And only after you have been in the workforce for a few years do you really get to know what you like about a job and a company.

I have found my niche at Quigley-Simpson where I have been given quite a bit of autonomy in what I do and my peers and superiors respect me and trust me and I have been recognized for my contributions.

With the changes in the advertising world that have taken place in the last few years, companies need to be cutting edge, and Quigley-Simpson has been adapting to the evolution very quickly with a lot of new digital experts being added to the company. This has brought about new assignments from existing and new clients and the challenges that are posed to the staff are exciting and career building. And with the mix of major world-renowned brands that Quigley-Simpson represents, the opportunities for growth and learning are tremendous.

The salary is competitive with what’s out there, but a little extra pay always would be good to have.

Management is very compassionate. I had a personal crisis that lasted a few weeks and they were very understanding and made my life a lot easier through that time period. I have had other jobs where senior management was not as sensitive to the lives and needs of employees. Again having a frame of reference with past jobs has helped me appreciate what I have now at Quigley-Simpson.

This is generally a great place to work. There are very smart people here. The hierarchy is very distinct, but not in a negative way. There is strong leadership in the various departments. There are no really big egos here either. But there are some big personalities. The big name clients we work with are probably the best that can be found anywhere. And of course, who can beat working on the Westside of Los Angeles just a few miles from the beach.

ConsLong hours, but if you are not happy with this then you should not choose advertising as a career.

Need Better Pay

ProsThe ability to get a lot of hands on work that can build up your resume with high profile clients. The pressure to do better .

ConsEmployees need better compensation to acknowledge for their hard work and long hours. Medical benefits are costly but there are a few perks

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease take the chance to read your employees' self evaluation to help them grow and lead them to the right direction where he or she wants to be

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One star is not low enough!

Media Coordinator (Former Employee)

Pros-Exposure to major local and national campaigns
    -Experience that will easily transfer to another agency (its only a matter of time before you WILL be looking for another job)

Cons-Favoritism and cliques within the media department
    -Poor upper and middle management
    -Lack of communication and teamwork
    -Redundancy
    -Lack of instruction or training
    -Double standards
    - Little room for career development
    -Constant videotaping and recording by the office network
    -No parking (unless you pay for it)
    -Turnover rate is extremely high as management demands employees to meet unrealistic goals and take-on extraordinary workloads. (HIRE MORE PEOPLE)

Anyone considering working here should brace themselves for high stress, low pay and backstabbing co-workers. Every agency is stressful and demanding to a point. However, while working here I have never felt more stressed or tasked to the max in my life. Read the the other reviews, they're up here for a reason. Don't be fooled into thinking you will be any different. Hard work, dedication and commitment are not valued here. You are just a number

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is a major disconnect between the media department and the rest of your company. The media department might be your bread and butter, but you've allowed these same individuals to develop a hostile working environment. Your department is run like a high school lunchroom full of gossiping cheerleaders.
    Providing great summer and holiday parties is not enough. Take real time to develop the talent you have. Personnel should have meaning to your company and not be disposed of without just cause.

Run Far, Far AWAY!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou will learn a LOT here.... mostly because you will be forced to teach yourself everything and just "figure it out" on your own. That said, once you "get it" you will receive great acknowledgment from upper management and really be able to take ownership of your work and the relationships with clients. Also, they have some great clients to work with like P&G, Shutterfly, Hulu... good resume builders!

ConsTo be honest, this was the most stressful job I have ever had, and the worst agency I have ever worked for. I think it definitely depends on the department/team you work on, as some are definitely better than others (i.e. I think that the finance and creative departments are better than others...). But overall, management is poor, and some of the key people in charge are shady snakes in the grass who are out for no one but themselves. The heads of the different departments seem to foster competition and animosity rather than teamwork and collaboration, which makes for an overall lack of respect and communication among departments.

I have never felt that I couldn't trust a boss before... but at Quigley Simpson this is EXACTLY how I felt. I saw more people leave, get fired, or get laid off at this company than I have ever seen before at any of my other jobs combined... talk about feeling unstable and insecure... the turn over rate was just ridiculous, and I felt like I was on a sinking ship the entire time! Oh, and get ready to be watched big brother style... management blocks everyone from the internet (even gmail!), and has cameras throughout the hallways... CREEPY and awkward!

They may try to entice you with a hefty salary or promises of a promotion or big year-end bonus... but to me, no amount of money is worth working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees, make them feel that you care about them as PEOPLE and not just as employee #82. And for the love of god, get more people in charge who are actually good managers!

Good Place to Work. Good Training to Get Ahead.

(Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI began my job in the media department and started out without much experience in the advertising industry. Over the next three years I learned a lot about negotiating and how to get the best rates for our clients. The work was demanding and those who applied themselves got ahead in the company. If you want to learn and develop skills, Quigley-Simpson is a good place to be and where you can learn a lot. I was offered another job at another company where I now manage three people. I have been recognized by my new boss as being one of the best media buyers and it all came from my learnings at my job at Quigley. Mentoring at Quigley is OK, but to be recognized, you must perform and be self-motivated. The senior people in the media department expect others to work as hard as they do and there are rewards for the good performers.

Quigley-Simpson has a good HR program to develop executives. There is training and prep to help you grow in your job and there are “lunch and learn” programs covering different leadership skills and management development training too.

Monthly meetings and company parties are very good, specially the summer party and December holiday party. There are also monthly massages that the company provides.

Good performers have a clear promotion path and are better equipped to get ahead or if you move to another company as I did, the skills and training will definitely help.

There are some cool people who work there and they have remained my friends even when I changed jobs.

ConsLong hours as I became more experienced and as I was relied on to handle more business. Entry level pay starts out low (but competitive with other companies), but as you get better there are more rewards.

Rapidly growing ad agency, Hot Young DR Shop

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThis agency is rapidly growing. An exciting place to work with fantastic clients, hard working team members, passionate individuals and a management team which pushes you to the next level. The agency has exploded over the past few years. There's so many opportunities to challenge yourself and build relationships with both internally and externally. Plus the Partners enjoy rewarding their staff with fun, festive and over the top holiday parties and summer events. Everyone's hard work is acknowledged and deeply appreciated. There's a tremendous effort to promote within and push everyone to their best ability. Great growth opportunities - Isn't that what everyone's looking for?

ConsStandard to the advertising industry, hours can be long dependent on upcoming projects and client deadlines. There's limited street parking and an expensive parking garage in the building.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's important to make time for reviews and provide regular feedback. The days are quick and very busy however it's important to make time for these important conversations.

Very different ad agency

ProsCompetitive pay. Smart people. Some really nice/cool people. Good for a few years to gain some experience

ConsHave worked in advertising for years and have experienced a few different agencies. This was like none other. Did not feel like working at an ad agency (which in my experience was hard work but always fun). Extremely cheap. Parking is expensive and only 50% is covered by company. I wish this was disclosed to me prior to negotiating salary as this has a big impact. It says something about where you work that they are unable to cover parking. It is not a city or public transit accessible- it's really baffling. Circling around for 20 min in the morning for a spot on the street and then expecting an employee to be on time is unacceptable when there is a garage right there. Very very long hours which is normal for the industry, but no perks to balance this (when compared to other agencies).

Media buying/planning tactics are very agressive (in a negative way), and they promote bulling of vendors. They push these people to the limit and do not let up. Does not help to build a good relationships. Don't have a good reputation in the marketplace which in turn can reflect poorly on employees.

Job description was very vague and questions about the position went unanswered. Was not made clear until about eight weeks in. Like some reviewers have said, very cliquey. Employees would often exchange looks or whisper while smiling through an "open door policy" facade. This drama is no different than any other agency. Just know it's here too.

The nice people are there, you just need to find who you can trust and hang on to them.

Entry level kids, there are so many other agencies out there that are more fun and provide a much better payoff for your hard work! You can have a cool job in advertising! Go elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementI am aware they think they are providing perks (20 min massage one a month, $25 gift certificates on your birthday), but get competitive with other agencies. Small things like not paying for parking or scheduling meetings during lunch hour and expecting employees to bring their own food- really sends a message to your employees. They will wise up and go somewhere else where they are appreciated.

Did Not Enjoy Working Here (Media Department)

Media Coordinator (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

Pros-Good client base
    -Summer and Christmas parties were cool
    -The office Feng-Shui was nice
    -Benefits after 90 days

Cons-No department transparency
    - You have to either pay monthly for parking or spend extra time finding parking on the street everyday
    -Super underpaid
    -Repetitive/redundant work; becomes boring and frustrating after a while
    -Upper Media Management doesn't care about and aren't invested in employees at all
    -There is a ton of favortism present in this department
    -A lot of cliques
    -Management is not approachable
    -No room for growth; advancement is not encouraged
    -Not a teamwork atmosphere at all
    -A ton of gossip going on in the workplace
    -The Creative side/department felt like a totally different company

Advice to Senior Management-The founders should be more hands on with the happenings in both Creative and Media
    -More team building activities
    -Give your employees a chance to be heard. Employees are loyal where they feel they matter
    -Invest in your employees (growth opps, suggestions, reward their work, recognition)

A different sort of ad agency . . .

Designer (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsPay was decent, benefits after 90 days, some cool people

ConsStrange office environment, even stranger leadership, lack of support for employees, no culture whatsoever.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees a little even if they haven't worked there for as long as others may have. Learn names, say hello in passing, don't just look over people's heads as if they're not there. Send the CFO back to graduate school so she can figure out how to pay employees, whether contract or not, on time and correctly.

Worked for Quigley-Simpson? Contribute to the Community!