Quiksilver

Updated November 18, 2014
3.1

Quiksilver CEO Andy Mooney
Andy Mooney

Pros
  • Open work environment, you can wear what ever and in our department we had very flexible schedules (in 14 reviews)

• In retrospect, I was a lot more relaxed and had a great work-life balance while at Quik (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth, top heavy with management (in 7 reviews)

• Changes are made by upper management poorly implemented (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Not good not bad

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Quiksilver full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount was great The special events were fun. The café was convenient when you were too busy to leave.

Cons

Lot's of cliques. You would think a surf company would have a kick back attitude. It was quite the opposite. Lot's of politics. There were tons of lay offs so no one felt secure.

Need to stop having favorites and learn to bring out the best in each person. That's a true manager.

Cool place

Current Employee - Retail in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Retail in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Quiksilver full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty cool place to work

Cons

Very low pay. Low pay increases

Great company in a time of great change

I have been working at Quiksilver

Pros

Best surf brand to work for. Great product, work environment and perks.

Cons

Going through lots of changes at the moment.

Remember the core....

Don't even bother!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waikïkï, HI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waikïkï, HI

I worked at Quiksilver full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Medical benefits and the employee discount.

Cons

There is NO room for upward advancement. And even if there was an open position they'd promote someone by default because there wasn't anyone else. Yes there is, hire outside people who are qualified. Management is too lazy to take the time to search for quality people and train them. They can be sometimes difficult to work with and not flexible at all.

Turnover was so high because they pay their associates crap but managers get bonuses and $6k raises while the front line gets $.25, if that. They talk a big deal about treating you like family but when it comes down to it, it's every man for themselves.

If they respected their staff they'd get some respect too. You've talked a good talk to get naive fresh out-of-high schoolers to drink the Kool-aid but what are you going to do to keep hard-working, qualified workers?

Basically impossible to move up

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Quiksilver part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, ohana, beach days, 50% discount on most items

Cons

Nobody is held accountable and management has no idea what they're doing. I basically wasted two years here and watched two people get promoted over me just because they were in romantic relationships with managers. Management pretty much refuses to train staff after a certain point. I asked several times for more training and they made up excuses every time. Pay was OK - could be better, could be worse. I got between 20 and 36 hours a week at first but once a new manager took over a year later, it went down to about 7-15 a week and the turnover rate skyrocketed. HR was almost nonexistent and I'm 95% sure the management team at the store I worked at committed several HR violations. Overall, learned some cool stuff but it was more trouble than it was worth.

Work on succession planning and keep personal feelings out of promotion decisions. PAY ATTENTION to your staff. Many times I felt like I could have done nothing the whole day and nobody would have noticed.

A lot of structural changes have led to a whirlwind of a year.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant and Sales Coordinator in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Quiksilver full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company culture is laid back and friendly. Everyone gets work done but always keeps fun in mind.

Cons

There have been a tremendous amount of changes globally within the company that have caused an array of issues. People have taken on the workloads of what used to be multiple people, job descriptions are unclear because of the multiple roles, and confusion and disorganization is common.

If management were to have a more clear idea of what was on everyone's plate, they may have a better understanding of the work people are being asked to do. Ask your delegates about their workload. Do regular reviews.

Chaging Company

Current Employee - Vendor Compliance Analyst in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Vendor Compliance Analyst in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Quiksilver full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Casual Dress Code, Gym on campus, Store discounts

Cons

Raises are minimal, work distribution not even,

Wish I could erase the time I spent here

I have been working at Quiksilver

Pros

When there are creative people in the right posts your work can be rewarding. There was about 9 months in which I had a positive outlook.

Cons

Co-workers constantly complain about workload and processes. The "old guard" holds on to the past by doing things inefficiently and are resistant to change or different point of views.

Holding on to the same work force certainly appears to be the right thing but you must continue to train people. Keeping mediocre talent does not help you grow and diversify the product.

No Light at the End of This Tunnel

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Quiksilver full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-amazing people to work with
    -laid back environment... people skate to meetings
    -I really love what I do

Cons

Upper management has NO clue how to run a company - almost everyone who works here is miserable and wants out. The turnover is at an all time high, and what's worse is that the people who run the company don't care. They operate with the mentality that "if you don't want this job, we'll find someone else who does (and for less money)". Speaking of money, it's rumored that our CEO gets a LA-OC chauffeured ride to and from work every day ... I'm sure that's not cheap! And with people getting let go left and right, it's not exactly a morale booster either.

I get it- our stock valuation is important. But for continuity, you need to realize that a company is only as strong and profitable as the employees behind it. Give more thought to the haphazard choices you make, and focus more on what really matters... making great products with a great team supporting you.

Fun company, really great experience

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Quiksilver as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Relaxed environment, fun people, creative. The office is absolutely beautiful and people always seem to be having a blast. It is fast paced yet relaxed.

Cons

a little disorganized, hectic, there was a lot of down time where the employers didn't know what work to give the people working under them.

Consider hiring interns only if you have legitimate work to give them, as it can be a little boring to sit and do nothing.