Quiksilver

Updated December 18, 2014
3.1

Quiksilver CEO Andy Mooney
Andy Mooney

Pros
  • Work environment, salary and benefits, room for personal growth (up to a point) (in 16 reviews)

• Depending on the department once could have a good work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for growth, top heavy with management (in 7 reviews)

• Changes are made by upper management poorly implemented (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Great job loved it.

Former Employee - Senior Designer in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Irvine, CA

I worked at Quiksilver full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fun invironment, great people. I really enjoyed my time at Quiksilver. The people were great to work with and treated each other with respect.

Cons

Commute was rough. I had to commute for an hour to get to work. There was also a little drama between employees that got old.

None.

Great place to work

Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Quiksilver full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule good benefits great people

Cons

Long hours at times ,working holidays,

Keep it real stick to the roots

eddie would....

Former Employee - Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Quiksilver full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

life lessons, great staff, keeping the stoke alive, ohana and aloha. Lasting teams. Training is great, sets you up for great success after you leave the company. Lasting friendships. Great discount

Cons

poor pay, lack of direction from corpo, not to mention all the new corpo people coming in from all kinds of other brands not even in the surf field. Yes they look great on paper, but once they step into the world of quik they see and feel how different it is and dont follow up on what they have been brought in for.

KNOW YOUR ROOTS, just because bob left should not mean we turn our backs on what he started, listen to the ohana and keep the wave strong. Utilize the well experienced managers and support managers in the stores. The ones who truly preach OHANA and take it with them and give it out everyday.

TSQ

I have been working at Quiksilver full-time

Pros

Management, work life balance, company standards

Cons

Late hours, pay rate, location

Not good not bad

Former Employee - Merchandiser in Huntington Beach, CA
    Former Employee - Merchandiser in Huntington Beach, CA

I worked at Quiksilver full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The discount was great The special events were fun. The café was convenient when you were too busy to leave.

Cons

Lot's of cliques. You would think a surf company would have a kick back attitude. It was quite the opposite. Lot's of politics. There were tons of lay offs so no one felt secure.

Need to stop having favorites and learn to bring out the best in each person. That's a true manager.

Cool place

Current Employee - Retail in Huntington Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Retail in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Quiksilver full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty cool place to work

Cons

Very low pay. Low pay increases

Great company in a time of great change

I have been working at Quiksilver

Pros

Best surf brand to work for. Great product, work environment and perks.

Cons

Going through lots of changes at the moment.

Remember the core....

Don't even bother!

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waikïkï, HI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Waikïkï, HI

I worked at Quiksilver full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Medical benefits and the employee discount.

Cons

There is NO room for upward advancement. And even if there was an open position they'd promote someone by default because there wasn't anyone else. Yes there is, hire outside people who are qualified. Management is too lazy to take the time to search for quality people and train them. They can be sometimes difficult to work with and not flexible at all.

Turnover was so high because they pay their associates crap but managers get bonuses and $6k raises while the front line gets $.25, if that. They talk a big deal about treating you like family but when it comes down to it, it's every man for themselves.

If they respected their staff they'd get some respect too. You've talked a good talk to get naive fresh out-of-high schoolers to drink the Kool-aid but what are you going to do to keep hard-working, qualified workers?

Basically impossible to move up

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Quiksilver part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relaxed atmosphere, ohana, beach days, 50% discount on most items

Cons

Nobody is held accountable and management has no idea what they're doing. I basically wasted two years here and watched two people get promoted over me just because they were in romantic relationships with managers. Management pretty much refuses to train staff after a certain point. I asked several times for more training and they made up excuses every time. Pay was OK - could be better, could be worse. I got between 20 and 36 hours a week at first but once a new manager took over a year later, it went down to about 7-15 a week and the turnover rate skyrocketed. HR was almost nonexistent and I'm 95% sure the management team at the store I worked at committed several HR violations. Overall, learned some cool stuff but it was more trouble than it was worth.

Work on succession planning and keep personal feelings out of promotion decisions. PAY ATTENTION to your staff. Many times I felt like I could have done nothing the whole day and nobody would have noticed.

A lot of structural changes have led to a whirlwind of a year.

Current Employee - Executive Assistant and Sales Coordinator in Huntington Beach, CA

I have been working at Quiksilver full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company culture is laid back and friendly. Everyone gets work done but always keeps fun in mind.

Cons

There have been a tremendous amount of changes globally within the company that have caused an array of issues. People have taken on the workloads of what used to be multiple people, job descriptions are unclear because of the multiple roles, and confusion and disorganization is common.

If management were to have a more clear idea of what was on everyone's plate, they may have a better understanding of the work people are being asked to do. Ask your delegates about their workload. Do regular reviews.