QuinStreet

www.quinstreet.com

QuinStreet Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014
QuinStreet – “office from outside”

QuinStreet Chairman and CEO Doug Valenti

Doug Valenti

Pros
  • Great work-Life balance, Good training facilities, Not much hierarchies, Relaxed work environment, Good compensation(in 9 reviews)

• Bright people, great place to learn, laid back environment, stable company, fair compensation(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management don't give any importance to technical growth of company/employee(in 7 reviews)

• Cultural problems stem from out of touch upper management and favoritism(in 6 reviews)

Fantastic time

ProsGreat, smart team. Family like atmosphere.

ConsLots of work and lots of expectations

Advice to Senior Managementgreat job -- people love it there. Lots of room for advancement.

Good core values, horrible execution

Engineer (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsThe opportunity is here to work on a relevant segment of online marketing. They're well-positioned for the future in terms of web properties and traffic. The pay is reasonable if you're in software. You need to create your own career path. The technical opportunities are there, but you have to be proactive about it.

ConsDon't expect to be mentored or have strong leadership in the Engineering team. The senior leadership is pretty in-bred and they tell each other that they're doing a great job, when in fact, there's a large vacuum of technical leadership. As long as the business-side of the company blindly accept whatever message the engineering group says, nothing is really going to change. Very little accountability. Promotions and attention give to those who kiss butt and never raise concerns or reveal problems in the code or teams. If you cross the path of the CTO or her minions, you should start writing up you resume and leave on your terms.

Advice to Senior ManagementAsk yourself why mid-level talent keeps leaving, but the top people don't.

Manager, Business Development

Manager, Business Development (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsThe culture was pretty relaxed when I worked at Quinstreet with a nice work life balance. Fun events and amazing holiday parties. The office layout is nice and functional.

ConsThe company's vision was pretty poor and they missed several opportunities to stay competitive because they weren't willing to change their business model. The people at Quinstreet were among the best I've ever worked with, but unfortunately many of the best ones are no longer there.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue mid-level talent more. I saw a lot of great talent leave to higher paying start-ups while I was there.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Web Developer

Web Developer (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsFlexible work from home and PTO

ConsCompensation is not up to the market rate. Company had many Lay offs. Developers have to deal with bad quality code from offshore.

potential growth opportunities, fast paced environment, top heavy

Sales (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

Prosthere are potential growth opportunities and advancement in the company, fast paced environment, good experience for newcomers, fresh out of college looking to enter corporate world.

ConsCulture of the company changed over years, can be long hours with little pay, loss in incentive to do more than the task at hand do to culture change, mediocre moral.

Advice to Senior Managementre-evaluate company values and strive to keep to them, a happy employee is a hard working employee.

Only take the job as a last resort and keep looking even if you are hired.

Low Level Management - Too Many "titles" to List (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsVery little to speak of other than the liberal PTO schedule after 3 years of employment.

ConsHorrible pay. Expectations of the employees are not nearly commensurate with the salaries. Upper management attempts to bribe their employees with worthless stock options (just check the historical track record) while selling their own options as soon as they vest (can be confirmed on any financial site).

Management promotes and shelters their favorites even though they are inept in their roles. They also squash any constructive criticism and dissension.

Management goes out of their way to advertise their "company values" (printed wall placards everywhere you turn) yet they are merely window dressing and not upheld or committed to.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart holding yourself as accountable as you do your staff.

Walk the talk and stop over-promising and under-delivering.

Start to recognize the talent you have and the huge amount of talent that you have lost through the years instead of burying your head in the sand and denying the absurd attrition rate.

The kind of job you warn your friends about

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Beaverton, OR

ProsFriendly and supportive coworkers, very relaxed dress code, some of the managers and leads are quite friendly

ConsCustomer service people are treated like cattle, kept as temps via Randstad for upwards of 2-3+ years, and provided no benefits or vacation time, save for 7 days a year of combined sick/personal time. Virtually no growth opportunities, outside of a handful of people who beg, plead, and brown nose, and if you aren't friendly with senior staff, you will go nowhere.

The work itself - lead generation - is extremely shady and you are encouraged to mislead customers as to the true nature of the work, and what will be done with their information. Excessive scrutiny of what you say and do, combined with massive turnover, has cultivated a paranoid atmosphere. Executive and administrative staff has almost zero involvement with the call center side, save for the rare visit with call center leads and managers, but don't acknowledge or speak to reps at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementReform your business model to build the brand rather than just hiding it behind multiple layers of deceptive practices and front companies,

Great place to work with difficult management

ProsGreat people, culture, processes,

ConsUpper management is bit difficult to deal with

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate and Trust your employees to do their job

Great Company. Great People

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsGreat work/life balance
    Smart People
    Good Benefits

ConsSlight growing pains with the company itself

Lots of learning opportunities but too many broken systems and teams in place.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsDepending on your manager and your team, there is some flexibility--which is nice. As long as you are accountable and get ALL of your work done.

ConsZero work-life balance. This company will take and take and burn you out. Management is not considerate of your time, always starting meetings late and running over, meetings about everything and still expects you to complete ALL of your workload. Oh, and expect to be paid around 20% or more LESS than market rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together. Systems and tools are always broken and people don't own up to these issues, always on a CYA basis, nothing gets done/improved. Very frustrating and demoralizing.

Worked for QuinStreet? Contribute to the Community!