QuinStreet
www.quinstreet.com San Mateo, CA 500 to 999 Employees

QuinStreet Reviews

Updated Apr 9, 2014
QuinStreet – “office from outside”

QuinStreet Chairman and CEO Doug Valenti

Doug Valenti

Pros:
  • "good place to learn about online marketing"
    in 5 reviews
  • "QuinStreet offers a good work/life balance"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management don't give any importance to technical growth of company/employee"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Working long hours but salary is very low- QS is definitely very cheap when it comes to salary"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good people

I have been working at QuinStreet full-time

ProsGreat CEO, lots of autonomy, good experience in a public company. Good culture, good work life balance

ConsStrict legal, can make it slower to make deals

Advice to Senior Managementtake some risks in order to grow revenue; make it easier to do business with QNST

Terrible management, but good people on the ground

Campaign Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at QuinStreet full-time for more than a year

ProsMy team members were great--they were consistently willing to offer help and they were fun people. Free drinks and bagel days, with occasional lunches (but honestly, not a huge perk as that is standard in Silicon Valley).

ConsThere is an extremely high turnover rate, as it seems like young people get in the door for experience and then get out as soon as they have a year under their belts (that's what I did). It wasn't worth staying with the company for a low salary and an unstimulating job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to retain bright employees. Act like you care about them instead of making seemingly arbitrary decisions.

Great People, Out of Touch Upper Management

I worked at QuinStreet

ProsBright people, great place to learn, laid back environment, stable company, fair compensation

ConsCultural problems stem from out of touch upper management and favoritism

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to know the names of as many of your employees as you can -- the company is not *that* large, and it goes a long way for people to feel valued.

Stay Away! Absolutely terrible employer

Business Development (Former Employee)
Beaverton, OR

I worked at QuinStreet full-time for less than a year

ProsThey rope you in with good benefits, dirt chap health insurance and good salary, bagels, soda, and coffee.

ConsThis company is the absolute worst company I have ever worked for! I worked in the Home Services division and there is absolutely no way that they are even going to come close to matching their competition with their less than lackluster strategy. There is absolutely no branding whatsoever, and there are also no inbound marketing initiatives whatsoever. Making the transition from an employer that had a future to QuinStreet was the absolute worst move I made in my career to date. In addition, my supervisor was by far the most incompetent individual I had the displeasure of working for.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey haven't a clue about what is currently happening in the lead gen industry, so advising them would be pointless.

Director level software engineer

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at QuinStreet full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat compensation, flexible work schedule, some good people work there

ConsExecutive management are lost, decision makers struggle to understand overall

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees in the trenches, they know more then you do! Theory doesn't always win the daily battles.

Great company with good people

Associate Editor (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at QuinStreet as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible working schedule and location, freedom of creativity, and a great team of support that is encouraging and ready to help when challenges arise.

ConsBudget issues persist, and communication can be a little disjointed.

The Absolute worst career move I've ever made!

I worked at QuinStreet full-time for less than a year

ProsAside from the free soda, bagels and coffee, there are absolutely no pros about working for this company. They lure you in with good benefits and pay, only to drive you into the ground.

ConsEverything! I was recruited by them to move from the company I was working for at the time, and the benefits package they presented was quite attractive so I took it, then after a month or so working at QuinStreet I could see that this company functions very poorly, has absolutely no vision or long term strategy, and has a poor company culture. Anyone being recruited by QuinStreet to work for them, don't do it. My supervisor in the vertical I worked in touted the company essentially as a "mover and shaker" in the lead gen industry, which QUinStreet definitely is not.

Also, they tout themselves as a technology company, which they certainly are not, the only thing they've done is acquire other tech companies and ATTEMPT to integrate that better technology into their existing verticals, in which they did a poor job.

All they seem to do is blow smoke about how great QuinStreet is doing financially, when in reality, QuinStreet is just losing less money in their key verticals than in the past, check out their earnings call transcripts.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement doesn't deserve my advice.

Lacking Vision

Client Development (Former Employee)

I worked at QuinStreet full-time for more than a year

ProsGood market to be in. Lots of potential

ConsPoor execution. Turnover is out of control.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many 'consultants' at the top. Lack of true leadership

Lame, ivy league and similar need only apply

Client Strategy and Development Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at QuinStreet full-time for less than a year

ProsI can't really think of any pros.

Conslimited ability to implement technology or execute plans. Demanding w/o any real understanding of markets. Only want people with elite college degrees.

Advice to Senior Managementget over yourself

Contract worker

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at QuinStreet as a contractor

ProsThe pay was good for some of the assignments. The people in the office were usually easy to work with.

ConsThe pay per assignment was not always relative to effort. Some assignments took a long time but paid very little. Expectations were not always clearly communicated.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncentive programs would be a good idea.

Worked for QuinStreet? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at QuinStreet reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for QuinStreet CEO Doug Valenti. All 94 reviews posted anonymously by QuinStreet employees.