QuinStreet Reviews

Reset
3.4
QuinStreet Chairman and CEO Doug Valenti
Doug Valenti

Pros
  • Just like everyone else has said, work-life balance is ok (in 11 reviews)

• good place to learn about online marketing (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Cultural problems stem from out of touch upper management and favoritism (in 7 reviews)

• Long hours can come to be expected as, at times, it seems like folks compete to see who can work the longest hours (in 5 reviews)

1. Great entrepreneurial environment

I have been working at QuinStreet full-time

Pros

Solid market and product offering, very entrepreneurial culture. Strong on work-life balance.

Cons

Compensation may be lower for similar roles in the region, though when taking into account learning opportunity and work-life balance is a great balance.

2. Paid Search

I have been working at QuinStreet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great place to start your career! You get a lot of training and support from many different teams.
    - Advancement is pretty fair. If you perform well, you can expect a promotion every 1-2 years depending on your level.
    - I can't complain about my co-workers and manager. They are all awesome!
    - Quarterly meetings where the CEO and other leaders present and discuss past and future initiatives and the status of the business and industry.
    - Some free food (tuna, bread, fruit, cereal, and some more)
    - Casual to business casual environment.
    - Friendly environment. You can join teams such as volleyball, soccer, softball. Once a year you can expect a company get-away day with fun activities.
    - Company parties are fun. You can expect it to be at a fancy place in SF most of the time.
    - Great Benefits (vacation policies - starting at 15 days per year, 401k, health insurance)

Cons

- Turnover is a bit high (~2yrs) - people get out with lots of experience so they are highly demanded.
    - Work could get a bit repetitive
    - Depends on the clients that you get. Some are difficult to handle.
    - Overall future of the company is not always clear.

Advice to Management

Make goals clearer and check progress constantly.

Not a typical call center

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I have been working at QuinStreet full-time

Pros

I've worked at Quinstreet for 4 months now I am very happy with my position. I refer and set appointments for the home depot installation department. No sales push or pressure. Before that I was in the education referral department matching people to schools.

Cons

They are very strict on attendance "points" and sometimes its very hard to get help from a team lead or a team lead assistant

5. Senior Manager

I worked at QuinStreet

Pros

Given lots of responsibility and control

Cons

Company is suffering and can't seem to figure out their next vertical/product

6. Good people, good opportunity, not focused on career growth.

I worked at QuinStreet full-time

Pros

- People are good to work with
     - great learning experience

Cons

- Not a lot of interest is shown in your career growth
     - Culture can seem forced at times and unnatural.

7. Analyst

I worked at QuinStreet

Pros

The managers are very nice, helpful, and friendly. The training process was very thorough. Working across various teams, the communication between departments allowed much exposure.

Cons

It seemed that there would be minimal chances of moving upward within a department but maybe that it was easier to go to a different department. i really didnt have a negative experience but this is just what i noticed.

Advice to Management

Management could be better about keeping its employees. Lots of people have relocated or always seem be to looking for different opportunites.

8. Fun company but good leaders have quit now, lacking future promise.

I have been working at QuinStreet full-time

Pros

Free food.
    Fun environment.
    Flexible work hours.

Cons

Missing good leadership and future vision.
    Not enough introspection on why products failed and always jumping to the next new thing without full value proposition analysis or validation.
    Few people are petty and can pollute an otherwise fun and collaborative workplace.

Opportunities to learn and do a lot, but overall bad company culture

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I worked at QuinStreet full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of opportunities to learn about online marketing, technology, creative design, client relationships, etc. The company truly gives you room to learn and do things yourself so as to learn on the job. They are not afraid to give an important project to someone new and yet unproven, and also are willing to try new things, see how it goes and learn from it. That remains an undeniable positive aspect of working at QuinStreet. I have also seen many people around me being promoted when deserved, or given new projects/responsibilities when they wanted to. Though I think the promotion track is not very clear, I still do believe that people are empowered to do what they wish as long as they work hard for it.

Cons

However the pros listed above tend to be sadly tarnished with many political issues in the company that can really make it impossible to do your job properly, if not to make you bitter and angry a lot of the time. There is a very strong favoritism at the top management level, executives clearly have favorites and make decisions on projects or promotions/layoffs based on who they like most. I have seen too many people throughout the company demoted from their position because someone on top didn't agree with them, or people promoted or given advantage because they had gotten along well with someone influential. At times it seems political connections within the company are the only thing that will let you win, and without it your future is counted. And this seems to apply to all kinds of levels (from managers to VPs), no one is safe. Everyone fears June/July time when annual reviews are completed along with annual layoffs. Such culture creates a blockage of communication from the top down and from the bottom up. Everyone is doubtful of one another, worried that what they say or do will be used against them in the future, so keeping information to yourself/your team is key and some people play that card very well. No need to say this is an incredibly negative environment to work in, and most of the time doesn't just make your life at work difficult, it makes you unable to do a good job.
    I don't recommend joining QuinStreet generally, however positive comments above still stand and may make the opportunity to work there actually interesting if you think you can put up with political crap, you will indeed learn a lot and have a lot to say on your resume after a year or two.

Advice to Management

Cut out the people who play on politics, the ones who are just promoted because they suck up to senior management, they're the bad apples in your basket, they're easy to recognize: they always say yes to the CEO! The CEO needs more people who can stand up to him and say what they truly think, we had some of those people in the past but they're all gone now, so it's really going crazy down there. Wake up!

10. Repetitive.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at QuinStreet

Pros

I'm a part of their telemarketing force, or as they title it I'm a customer service representative. In Short its very relaxed. I can say whatever I want when I'm on the phone as long I am not breaking compliance. I really enjoy being able to actually talk about the internal DNC policy, because so few people know about it. I get to make jokes and have fun. Our break room is well stocked 3 days a week and dwindles by the end of it, but having food at work is always nice. I get two days off a month and have an emergency time off system that most people take advantage of. I keep getting trained in new verticals which is a nice change of pace. If your numbers drop you aren't canned, there's no quota, you instead get retrained and they assess how well you respond. Solid call center management.

Cons

You're going to do the same thing every day. If you like that you're in the right place. For me I like having a chance ot be creative, and although I can have fun on the call, I'm still doing the exact same thing every time. My numbers are fine, but having good numbers pushing a not so good product isn't the best. In the education vertical you're convincing people to sign up for endless spam from for profit schools, in the mortgage vertical its the same game except now they're getting calls from a number of online refinancing companies. The mere process often destroys someone's credit, and you will hear all about it every day. In B2B you are publishing IT white pages, which is solid. I guess. But you are calling leads that are eons old often being met with a response of "He died 15 years ago."

Advice to Management

People don't like to call bad leads. If there was a way to actually filter out the old leads you should do it. If you could turn calls into more of a role of data refinement you would be able to make every failure still feel like a success. It's like you're coming so close in so many ways, but It feels like a lot of this information is wasted. That we respond the same way no matter what the client actually needs. If we could fork the call flow into say a 1st time mortgage when calling about refinancing we would be able to better serve the people we call.

11. Thank You!

I worked at QuinStreet full-time

Pros

Smart & Talented co-workers & lots of opportunity for growth

Cons

Resource constraints that cause lots of "waiting" when employees are eager to drive forward

Advice to Management

Ensure all departments have the needed staff to avoid bottlenecks. More training. More documentation.

RSS Feed </> Embed