Quintiles Reviews

Updated October 28, 2014
3.2

Quintiles CEO Tom Pike
Tom Pike

Pros
  • I believe them when they say that work/life balance is a priority for them (in 45 reviews)

• Good interpersonal relations, good working environment, possibility to work from home (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • This does get compensated by the fact that work - life balance is very nice (in 59 reviews)

• Bangalore office situated in wrong place, there is no work life balance (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

really pleased with my experience, good vision - strong company

Current Employee - Specialty Pharmaceutical Sales Representative in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Specialty Pharmaceutical Sales Representative in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Quintiles full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work-life balance, straight forward - sales, great manager, transparent, you know what you are getting into, working on the Janssen contract is great, more than just a contract sales company - opportunities to move into other areas of pharma business

Cons

limited opportunities for advancement with Quintiles, Contract business is uncertain, never know how long it will last, field employees have very little contact with management of Quintiles

Great company, great people!

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern
    Current Employee - Human Resources Intern

I have been working at Quintiles as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There were a lot of opportunities for personal growth.

Cons

The perks weren't as good as they could be.

Good for in between times, organized company - not many off days

Current Employee - Neurocience Sales in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Neurocience Sales in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Quintiles full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Organized, laid back, not too much pressure

Cons

slightly lower pay than big pharma, sick days included in PTO and Christmas etc also in PTO. seems like not much off time after leaving big pharma

hire smarter reps, some are dumb as dirt- and promote good reps to quintiles mgrs. in the future instead of always requiring experience for dbm role

Great!

Current Employee - Business Analyst/Product Management Team in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst/Product Management Team in Durham, NC

I have been working at Quintiles as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere is laid back and the teams are very helpful

Cons

The drive from the east side of Raleigh can be hectic

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to experience clinical trials.

Good place to work

I have been working at Quintiles

Pros

The staff are supportive and management cares about work life balance. Benefits are good as well.

Cons

Working with other functional areas other than my own can be challenging. There is a lot of structure and process and at times it can be difficult to work within the confines of these

A wonderful project with a great team, it was a pleasure to be there...

Former Employee - Nurse Educator in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Nurse Educator in Miami, FL

I worked at Quintiles as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

On my project, they had a great mix of talented people clearly working together to change lives. Really nice people and they made you feel special, or at least tried

Cons

Sadly, a no re-hire policy, that is about all I can say that's unfair, it is a market leader and there are so many different things you can do. They need to re-evaluate that policy, its not a winner.

Please treat each employee individually, I cant even imagine how many caring and talented individuals are simply locked out of a second chance...the only reason you did not get 5 Stars.

Good company to work for-Clinical Trial Educator

Former Employee - Educator in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Educator in Dallas, TX

I worked at Quintiles full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Worked from home 2 to 3 days a week. Great training program. Project lead was very knowledgeable and organized. Absolutely loved my coworkers and we are still friends today!

Cons

Extensive air travel which contributed to poor work life balance. Often felt as if the left hand in upper management didn't know what the right hand was doing.

Become more involved.

Amazing company

Current Employee - Intern in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Intern in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Quintiles as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

People are hard working and really dedicated

Cons

I was an intern first, so everything was really positive from my view

Invite the interns to more activities

Sales Rep for Quintiles

Current Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Pharmaceutical Sales Representative

I have been working at Quintiles

Pros

Best of the Pharma CSOs. They value experience and hire individuals with a history of success. Not known for age or sex discrimination. Salary is decent.

Cons

They seem to be very fair in the big things. But they are cheap on the small things, ex- will not reimburse for cash items such as tips for Sky Caps when you travel. That is just one example.

Company has lost its values

I worked at Quintiles full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, nice enough campus, telecommuting

Cons

The party line of "encouraging work-life" balance is not something that management actually wants their employees to do. It is not uncommon to be asked to work 50 - 60 hours a week on a project for months at a time. Not only did this lead to burn out among employees but it also caused us to produce and market an inferior product with known bugs as part of our flagship clinical trials system.

While I understand that the company needs to stay profitable, management did not seem to have any concerns or to implement corrective measures when it became obvious that they had scarified "quantity" for "quality".

I was a permanent employee of the Q for 15 years and left at the end of 2013 after the department I was in descended into dysfunction of epic proportions. Management within my department was ineffective and short-sighted and played "favorites" with staff.

Additionally, when the new CEO (Tom Pike) was brought in, the establishment of a corporate environment where back-stabbing was common was born. Pike changed the corporate culture to one where your performance review, while still rated on a scale of 1 - 5, had to be at least a 4 in order for you to be seen as productive enough to receive a bonus. This was different from previous years where the base rating for receiving a bonus was a 3. Because of this, everyone felt compelled to show that they were productive and producing, and so people began to take credit for ideas or the work that others had done, making for a very unpleasant work environment.

It also didn't help that management would set performance goals and then not provide employees with the tools necessary to make meeting the performance goals a reality. Professional development was basically a joke and was only encouraged if it could be done on your own time and out of your own pocket.

Another issue (although this may have been common only to IT - the department I was working in when I left) was that people were put into positions of management/authority without having been provided training on the appropriate methods of employee management, or even basic ethics.

Leaving Quintiles after 15 years was hard, but it was the best thing I have ever done for myself professionally and personally. When I joined Quintiles, the company had a distinct "family" feel that managed to stay professional and team-oriented. People supported each other and were not afraid to share ideas with each other (which in my opinion is what made Quintiles emerge as a leading force in the Pharmaceutical CRO industry a decade ago). The Quintiles corporate culture as it exists now does not encourage collaboration or innovation since people are wary of having their ideas stolen by others since everyone is under pressure to show value within the company.

I understand that times have changed and companies must change with them. I just find it unfortunate that when Quintiles changed its corporate culture, it seemed to forget that while it was there to make a profit, they also were there to assist in the conduct of clinical trials and the betterment of their fellow man. Dennis Gillings (co-founder and former CEO) seemed to be able to balance profitability while providing quality clinical trial services, something that Pike with his non-Pharmaceutical background does not seem to have the capability to do.

Try to bring back quality; work on empowering employees by providing professional development opportunities; teach middle management how to manage (even if it is a 1 hour course in "dos" and "don't's").