Quintiles

Updated December 18, 2014
3.2

Quintiles CEO Tom Pike
Tom Pike

Pros
  • I believe them when they say that work/life balance is a priority for them (in 51 reviews)

• Good interpersonal relations, good working environment, possibility to work from home (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • This does get compensated by the fact that work - life balance is very nice (in 59 reviews)

• Bangalore office situated in wrong place, there is no work life balance (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

really pleased with my experience, good vision - strong company

Current Employee - Specialty Pharmaceutical Sales Representative in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Specialty Pharmaceutical Sales Representative in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Quintiles full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work-life balance, straight forward - sales, great manager, transparent, you know what you are getting into, working on the Janssen contract is great, more than just a contract sales company - opportunities to move into other areas of pharma business

Cons

limited opportunities for advancement with Quintiles, Contract business is uncertain, never know how long it will last, field employees have very little contact with management of Quintiles

Sweat Shop

I have been working at Quintiles

Pros

It was pretty building and the food was good in the café.

Cons

You were just a number at Quintiles. If you were not part of the clique, then you could kiss your promotion goodbye.

Listen to your employees and know that not everyone is a machine.

Good for in between times, organized company - not many off days

Current Employee - Neurocience Sales in Mobile, AL
    Current Employee - Neurocience Sales in Mobile, AL

I have been working at Quintiles full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Organized, laid back, not too much pressure

Cons

slightly lower pay than big pharma, sick days included in PTO and Christmas etc also in PTO. seems like not much off time after leaving big pharma

hire smarter reps, some are dumb as dirt- and promote good reps to quintiles mgrs. in the future instead of always requiring experience for dbm role

Quintiles has Horrific work life balance!

I worked at Quintiles

Pros

The benefits were comprehensive. Individual people were helpful and nice but hard to find. Their training bank is very extensive, but it is all so general that no one feels prepared for their specific role.

Cons

The workloads were unreasonable and/or haphazardly distributed.
    Performance reviews were based on how well your boss liked you, not your actual performance. If you complained, you got a bad review.
    Everyone now lives in fear of getting laid off. They laid off an entire department, offered to interview them all for the same job in a different department and hired all of them back. It was cruel to put them through that when they could have just transferred the jobs.

Fire CEO. Bring jobs back to America. Work on quality instead of diversification. Value your people, they will be your best asset.

Lots of talent, long hours, trying to stay ahead

Former Employee - IT Leader in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - IT Leader in Durham, NC

I worked at Quintiles full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some amazing and hard working people. Global, opportunities everywhere. Lots of positive energy and thought leadership. #1 in it's market, which it invented. Huge opportunity to build on history of success.

Cons

Long hours, expected long days. Lack of delegated decision-making. Still a few people making all the decisions. Needs to develop and communicate a clear strategy for next steps, both in core business and emerging areas.

Continue transitioning to a meritocracy from a company that maintains leadership based on time of service and vague accountability. Implement a culture of distributed decision making and accontability.

The consulting / market intelligence division of Quintiles = disappointing experience

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Quintiles full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work alongside a lot of interesting and smart people. The content of the work we do is interesting and I'm always learning something new. Somewhat flexible schedule and you can work from home when you need to. In the last year, management has tried to improve the workplace culture.

Cons

I can't speak for Director-level and above, but market researchers aren't compensated well compared to other Boston firms. The perks are kind of a joke - employees get hardly any vacation time (relative to other consulting/research firms) until they have 4 or 5 years tenure. Whenever the head of our division tries to plan an event / outing, etc. half the staff silently complain about having to give up precious work time to attend. Many (particularly Directors and Senior Directors) don't even bother to show up. Managing staff frequently say "yes" to absurd client requests and insanely tight deadlines, which is detrimental to the culture and employee well being. I understand the need to bring in revenue, but when a lack of boundaries with clients results in an overwhelmed employee who leaves after a year or two, something is amiss. Retention is not great - we had five analysts leave within a two month period earlier this year. The on boarding period isn't great either...sloppy and incomplete training definitely contributed to a lot of my stress early on.

Get an outside consulting firm to come in and assess the employee retention rate, manager dynamics, culture, etc. Yes, there is a lot of consulting expertise and experience in our division, but we need an external/fresh perspective and direction.

Struggling with change management

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Durham, NC

I have been working at Quintiles full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People are very nice and the environment is professional.

Cons

Change management is requested by the leadership but they are not very good at it. Too many layers of approvals necessary to get anything done which slows the process. Although I am a senior manager I don't have a budget and I need to go through layers of approvals on expenses.
    Raises are below the inflation rate even though my review was excellent. We all sit in tiny desks and there is absolutely no privacy as we sit in an open area.

Stop bringing in senior managers, promote more from within. If you want change management make it a corporate KPI.
    Give more autonomy for individuals to take risks and make decisions.

Good company to work for, but need to be proactive to find career growth

I have been working at Quintiles full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance, mentoring opportunities and ability to move around in different functional groups. Management team is flexible and ready to help employees.

Cons

Clear opportunities for growth are not specified, and one has to work hard to find it. When there are a lot of people working from home, the work place can be a little boring. Not many office get together opportunities.

New Quintiles is not Old Quintiles

Former Employee - Senior Director in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Durham, NC

I worked at Quintiles full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people. Great infrastructure. Ability and willingness to make bold bets.

Cons

Since going public very focused on ST performance. Teams worked very very hard. Very political environment for middle and upper management,

Look back at the bets Dennis Gillings made pre-Pike days and think hard about bringning that back -- this is what biopharms are looking for...

I worked at Quintiles for five years.

Current Employee - Senior Clinical Trials Assistant in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Clinical Trials Assistant in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Quintiles full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good to get experience then move on.

Cons

Bad Management, Disconnected from employees.

Training is needed on all levels.