Quirky Reviews

Reset
3.8
Quirky CEO & Founder Ben Kaufman
Ben Kaufman

Pros
  • The office space is very cool, and the kitchen space is awesome (in 4 reviews)

• Quirky is a great place to work, fast paced, challenging and a lot of fun (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a struggle (in 5 reviews)

• Walking to the West Side in the winter can be really cold (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Quirky is an amazing place that breeds and rewards dedication, hard work and passion.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Quirky full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working among the best of the best. If you've never had the privilege to work amidst the very best then you are missing out. Quirky's talent acquisition efforts have resulted in an amazingly collaborative team who share in the vision of the company and are willing to hustle to see that vision through.

Excellent employee perks including "BlackOut" and Unmetered vacation policy.

Cons

Work life balance can be a challenge when you are drawn into the culture. Taking a step back though you resize that any pressure to be in the office 16 hours a day are actually your own doing and it's an infectious culture of hustle that your soul just has to be a part of. I can see how some may perceive this more as company expectation vs self expectation.

Advice to Management

We need to grow up from infancy but let's not forget to be kids before we are adults. Some recent hires are clearly misaligned with one of our most important core values, being selfless.

Quirky Response

Mar 24, 2015Chief People Officer

Hey there!

We so appreciate your feedback and enthusiasm for all we are at Quirky.

I agree that the talent here is off the charts -- so smart and passionate and dedicated. We work really hard
    ... More

The best co-workers

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Quirky full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing co-workers, Quirky attracts the very best. I've never worked with people of this caliber at any other job. I am consistently impressed by everyone I work with.
    - Job descriptions are fluid and can be self-directed. Because so much changes so quickly, it can be up to you to direct your own job roles. There is never time to get into a rut. if you're bored here it's your fault.
    - Lot's of support from management. Management will always empower you to fix issues that you're having professionally or personally, they want everyone working as hard as possible and will get road blocks out of your way.
    - The company culture is healthy, very little bickering or political pettiness.
    - Really good perks like in-office food, flexible hours, tele-commuting, travel expense coverage, etc

Cons

It's a startup, the business is very volatile. There are no guarantees. if you want a 20 year career and a pension look elsewhere.

fast paced

I worked at Quirky full-time

Pros

I learned a ton, worked with smart people, and got to solve interesting problems.

Cons

Great workplace, but the hours are long and the pressure is on.

Advice to Management

Keep making awesome products and allowing the team lots of independence.

5. Fast Pace DIY

I have been working at Quirky full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your work is always changing. If you're interested in something, it's entirely up to you to learn about it and solve problems related to it. Very easy to bring huge value to the company

Cons

Directional decisions are sometimes made quickly and often come from the board room. It's a roller coaster because what you're doing tomorrow might be completely different from what you're doing today

6. Bilingual Technical Support

Former Employee - Wink Support Technologist in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Wink Support Technologist in Albany, NY

I worked at Quirky (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful feedback and staff development. Incredibly challenging and supportive work environment. For a tech start up, they had an ingenious approach towards scheduling, office management, and a sound workplace culture...

Cons

Paralysis through analysis at times. If as an employer pacing isn't mandated, predetermined, or coordinated, opportunities may be lost... or come at an added cost.

Advice to Management

Kick up the pace! I loved working, learning, and coordinating with other staff members. Do more in less time... if humanly possible.

7. Great People horrid management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Quirky full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people you work with and around are some of the best and brightest. Lots of perks, vacation Black Out ect..

Cons

The management, the whole we are transparent has shifted to heres what you can know. Products are being sold before their made putting little time to actually test, hence why things are released with serious bugs or flaws.

Advice to Management

Realize that your failing at your mission "Making invention accessible" , KickStarter and Indiegogo are doing a better job. Get rid of Ben he speaks well with passion for the mission but is a horrible leader.

8. Great company, not stable

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative

I have been working at Quirky full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are a lot of perks (Keg, Ice cream, full refrigerators)
    Fun environment, great people and willingness to help

Cons

Not stable, constant cuts (layoffs), unfilled promises
    Management constantly changes procedures.
    Lack of communication between corporate and other offices

Advice to Management

Everyone is losing their jobs, stop just trying to save yours. Begin to be honest with employees and stop simply stringing everyone along.

9. Quirky has potential... but has a long way to go

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Quirky full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about Quirky is the people. This is definitely one of the brightest and most talented groups I've had the pleasure of knowing. The work they accomplished was incredible.

Cons

The higher ups at Quirky don't know what they're doing. Millions of dollars were invested and wasted on things that everyone knew were horrible ideas. In the end they ran out of money and had to let go about 30% of employees. Quirky talks about being open with employees, but there are a lot of secrets being kept from everyone. You are not equal at Quirky.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Ben

10. We're not perfect. We're a startup.

I have been working at Quirky full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at Quirky for nearly 3 years and its been a wild ride and amazing experience.

I've been able to make meaningful contributions to my team in ways that have pushed me forward. I've had a strong hand in how my role has evolved and I've learned and grown so much in my time here.

Quirky is scrappy and resilient and I love that we are never afraid to take risks and try doing the impossible.

And the thing I love most about Quirky are the people. I'm surrounded by so many brilliant minds who are passionate about our mission to Make Invention Accessible and I think our mission continues to drive loyalty to Quirky. We all want to make a difference!

Cons

The company has had its fair share of strategy changes since I started, and it's been a particularly trying few months, which has led to some change fatigue among the staff. Have we always made the best decisions? No. Do we continue to bounce back? Absolutely!

In these challenging times, I've seen our leadership do what they can to keep us informed and I've seen them step up to do whatever it takes to keep this business moving forward. In turn, this has really helped keep me moving forward.

I'm optimistic about our recent strategic pivot and structural changes. Once we get to the other side, I think we will be much better positioned for success in the long term.

Advice to Management

We have extremely smart people in our midst. Please listen to them and remember that it costs more to recruit someone new than to keep your current employees happy.

11. Not cracked out as it seems

I worked at Quirky

Pros

Inspirational business model, aims to revolutionize the way people and technology coincide.

Cons

You're expected to work on your own and if your work is interconnected with other departments, don't expect to get anything done.... for a while. Teams are sloppy and middle managers are crap.

Advice to Management

Stop getting bad press.

RSS Feed </> Embed