Quirky Reviews

Reset
3.8
Quirky CEO & Founder Ben Kaufman
Ben Kaufman

Pros
  • The office space is very cool, and the kitchen space is awesome (in 4 reviews)

• Quirky is a great place to work, fast paced, challenging and a lot of fun (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be a struggle (in 5 reviews)

• Walking to the West Side in the winter can be really cold (in 2 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Quirky is an amazing place that breeds and rewards dedication, hard work and passion.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Quirky full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working among the best of the best. If you've never had the privilege to work amidst the very best then you are missing out. Quirky's talent acquisition efforts have resulted in an amazingly collaborative team who share in the vision of the company and are willing to hustle to see that vision through. Excellent employee perks including "BlackOut" and Unmetered vacation policy.

Cons

Work life balance can be a challenge when you are drawn into the culture. Taking a step back though you resize that any pressure to be in the office 16 hours a day are actually your own doing and it's an infectious culture of hustle that your soul just has to be a part of. I can see how some may perceive this more as company expectation vs self expectation.

Advice to Management

We need to grow up from infancy but let's not forget to be kids before we are adults. Some recent hires are clearly misaligned with one of our most important core values, being selfless.

Quirky Response

Mar 24, 2015 – Chief People Officer

Hey there! We so appreciate your feedback and enthusiasm for all we are at Quirky. I agree that the talent here is off the charts -- so smart and passionate and dedicated. We work really hard ... More

2. + People, Culture, Mission, Office | - Leadership

I have been working at Quirky full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quirky is a fast-paced, energetic, and passionate place. The mission is incredible and potentially world-changing; to "make invention accessible", which is an exciting prospect to work towards everyday. The culture is young, fun, and sprited. There is no shortage of interesting personalities, which the HR team did a great job selecting. Office space is incredible.

Cons

People burn-out, it moves too fast at the expense of quality, and the business situation fluxes with instability. Leadership is not its strong suit, and there is little direction from department heads.

Advice to Management

Get some more seasoned pro's as heads of teams, start planning ahead, and slow down.

Amazing people, but not perfect.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Quirky full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

As noted, you'll work with some of the most amazing people you'll ever meet. People are inspiring and in turn my you feel inspired to work at Quirky. You have a lot of room to grow and have great opportunities to move into other roles. The office space itself is amazing, a really beautiful office.

Cons

A lot of uncertainty leaves people scared and constant restructuring is difficult. Some of the senior management members are questionable as far as what they contribute to the company. Decisions are made too quickly without reflection of possible consequences.

Advice to Management

Don't lose focus of what is important. Employees still believe in our mission and want to continue, just need the leadership to reflect that as well.

5. The right purpose

I have been working at Quirky full-time

Pros

I was attracted to Quirky for their purpose of "Making Invention Accessible." Quirky lives and breathes this purpose from the top down.

Cons

Quirky was managed by executive prerogative. It has always been Ben's company (with supporting cast), not an ensemble. Those prerogatives weren't correct enough to build a sustainable business, but it was quite a ride!

Advice to Management

Making invention accessible is an inevitability, don't give up – but be more inclusive and measured.

6. Talented environment but too little, too late

Former Employee - Photo Retoucher
    Former Employee - Photo Retoucher

I worked at Quirky full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This might be the most talented group of people I've ever worked with. The fast-paced environment almost guarantees that no matter how much talent you bring to the table, you will walk away with plenty more.

Cons

The project organization and planning was lousy. With almost project we were shooting ourselves in the foot going full-speed ahead then having to turn back and do all the work over again because of oversights and poor management. The CEO needed to approve everything but didn't want to be involved in anything. Few people really knew what was needed/wanted so actually accomplishing anything at the end of the day/week was almost impossible.

Advice to Management

Can't be worth saying much here as the ship is already sinking. From here one can only hope they learn from mistakes.

7. A career highlight

I worked at Quirky

Pros

There will probably never be any place so amazing to work; the place was contagious in the best way.

Cons

Got to work hard to keep that work/life balance.

The best co-workers

Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Design Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at Quirky full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing co-workers, Quirky attracts the very best. I've never worked with people of this caliber at any other job. I am consistently impressed by everyone I work with. - Job descriptions are fluid and can be self-directed. Because so much changes so quickly, it can be up to you to direct your own job roles. There is never time to get into a rut. if you're bored here it's your fault. - Lot's of support from management. Management will always empower you to fix issues that you're having professionally or personally, they want everyone working as hard as possible and will get road blocks out of your way. - The company culture is healthy, very little bickering or political pettiness. - Really good perks like in-office food, flexible hours, tele-commuting, travel expense coverage, etc

Cons

It's a startup, the business is very volatile. There are no guarantees. if you want a 20 year career and a pension look elsewhere.

fast paced

I worked at Quirky full-time

Pros

I learned a ton, worked with smart people, and got to solve interesting problems.

Cons

Great workplace, but the hours are long and the pressure is on.

Advice to Management

Keep making awesome products and allowing the team lots of independence.

10. Fast Pace DIY

I have been working at Quirky full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your work is always changing. If you're interested in something, it's entirely up to you to learn about it and solve problems related to it. Very easy to bring huge value to the company

Cons

Directional decisions are sometimes made quickly and often come from the board room. It's a roller coaster because what you're doing tomorrow might be completely different from what you're doing today

11. Bilingual Technical Support

Former Employee - Wink Support Technologist in Albany, NY
    Former Employee - Wink Support Technologist in Albany, NY

I worked at Quirky (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful feedback and staff development. Incredibly challenging and supportive work environment. For a tech start up, they had an ingenious approach towards scheduling, office management, and a sound workplace culture...

Cons

Paralysis through analysis at times. If as an employer pacing isn't mandated, predetermined, or coordinated, opportunities may be lost... or come at an added cost.

Advice to Management

Kick up the pace! I loved working, learning, and coordinating with other staff members. Do more in less time... if humanly possible.

RSS Feed </> Embed