Quirky

4.3

Quirky CEO & Founder Ben Kaufman
Ben Kaufman

Best company EVER!!

I have been working at Quirky

Pros

Hands down best interview I have ever been on..I had an amazing experience in the interview. Laid back fun down to earth and very soon I was not nervous at all because it may be that comfortable. They even fed us lol:)

Cons

I wish I could do something for the section but I honestly can't bring myself to say anything about this company negatively I have nothing negative to say I am currently an employee here and I've been happy from day one

keep doing what you're doing because it works

Intro to tech support.

Current Employee - Customer Service Lead in Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Service Lead in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at Quirky full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work along with a great community. Enjoy the team atmosphere and everyone willing to help each other out.

Cons

Definitely a lot of information to take in. New company, has a lot of room for improvement but takes advice and considerations seriously.

Enjoying everything thus far. Could use a bit of refining from a training standpoint, but it seems like there is a lot of room to grow and develop.

Best Job Ever!!!

I have been working at Quirky full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working for Quirky is the coolest experience I've had thus far. The environment is amazing, everyone is awesome and welcoming! I love working for a company that you really feel you are needed and valued. The fact that we get to help people all day every day is so rewarding! To top it off, the perks/benefits are unheard of!! I'm still waiting to wake up from this dream of having the coolest job ever!

Cons

it's hard to think of any cons! I can't!

Group Training Review

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at Quirky part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The initial training at Quirky was one of the best I have experienced to date. The training period consists of two twelve hour days, and a week of shadowing. Meals were provided for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Food was excellent :D They gave us frequent breaks.

Training included training packets, powerpoint presentations, and hands-on troubleshooting with products.

Very friendly work environment. Current employees displayed a positive attitude and a willingness to help. They admitted their faults straight away and addressed any concerns the trainees expressed.

Gorgeous office views. Open windows. Free coffee, red bull, snacks.

Cons

I wish we would have had an opportunity to follow along with some of the customer service protocols on a laptop or similar device. Would have been easier to grasp some of the key concepts when using apps.

That being said, there is more that enough time for this during our shadowing period.

A more hands-on approach to the customer service training would keep trainees actively engaged.

Think twice

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Quirky

Pros

Make your own hours.
    You can quickly make an impact to the business.

Cons

Rounds and rounds of layoffs.

Map out your organizational plan so that the livelihoods of so many are not at risk so frequently. People are so nervous not knowing if they will be laid off next.

The people you will ever work with, that is why people stay as long as they do.

I have been working at Quirky full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great office space. Lots of energy there. The work itself is interesting.

Cons

Unless you devote your entire life to the place you won't be rewarded or appreciated. No work life balance. Very stressful environment, especially these days with people getting laid off left and right. You are expected to stay late and work weekends when needed. If you are a workaholic, this is the place for you. Not health conscious, lots of booze in the office every day.

Get some work life balance going or the turnover will continue to be high. You are burning out great talented people.

Quirky Response

Nov 20, 2014Recruitment Coordinator

Your insight is extremely important -- taking our recent survey into account, we are definitely looking at solutions to improve work/life balance for all.

Work hard and passionately and you will be rewarded in every way.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Quirky full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Ben (Founder & CEO) is one of the smartest people I have ever met. What you learn from watching him in action and working with him is invaluable.
    2. Flat org structure. Anyone from an intern to a freelancer can voice their opinions and make change. The company prides itself on embracing conflict and being agile. Often the best ideas come from the working level, and these ideas are welcomed and celebrated.
    3. The amount of brilliant work and growth the company accomplishes year over year is astonishing. There is no greater reward than seeing all your hard work literally grow a company. This is made possible by the incredible talent that exists at Quirky, and the talent successfully merging their experiences with the culture and mission at Quirky.

Cons

1. Work/life balance is tricky. You're looking at an office mostly full of over-achievers in a startup environment. It's ultimately up to the individual to balance this successfully, but many are not good at this. Upper management included.
    2. The pace can seem impossible to keep up with if this type of environment is not in your DNA and if you don't have impeccable prioritization skills. It's definitely not for the mass.

Quirky Response

Nov 20, 2014Recruitment Coordinator

Your call-out on work/life balance is a great point! We are working to ensure that everyone can continue to produce at a high level without sacrificing their personal passions.

You'll learn a lot!

I have been working at Quirky full-time (more than an year)

Pros

An amazing company that will constantly afford you the opportunities to push yourself to do things you never knew you could. I've been with the company for over two years and have learned more about consumer products, manufacturing, personal growth, and business than I ever did with the past companies I worked for. I've had opportunities to take on new responsibilities and I've seen promotions and salary increases. Quirky has beautiful offices in New York, San Francisco, and Hong Kong. The culture is great and it's clear people are very passionate about the mission and want to make the company great.

Cons

Quirky is in a tricky spot right now in terms of growth and what's next. The company has nearly doubled in size the past year and we are figuring out what's next for the company. I'm starting to see Senior level managers being replaced for the next stage of growth which could be a good thing. I do feel like the CEO is searching for the new vision of the company and what is going to really push us over the top.

Let's continue working on getting the right processes right for Quirky. Also, we want to hear what's next for Quirky and where we are headed. I also think we could be more health focused at Quirky.

There's always "stuff" to do

I have been working at Quirky full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best thing about working for Quirky for me is the structure of the business model. It's pretty cool to work for a company that's constantly doing something new and creative (as opposed to working for something like an app or a standard product company where you're constantly just revising one thing over and over). Tied for first in perks is the company culture of people who have great personalities and great work ethic. I only wish there were more hours in the day to get all my work done AND get to know every single person in the company personally.

Cons

It's a growing company. And where there's growth there's growing pains. Structural, monetary, etc. I feel like there's been pretty good transparency about any internal struggles, though, which is nice.

Technical support job

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Schenectady, NY
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Schenectady, NY

I have been working at Quirky full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Music playing in background.
    Location is Downtown Schenectady.
    Exposed beam and industrial feel. Modern office decor.
    Snacks and beverages available for free in the ktichen

Cons

Passive discriminatory behavior if you're not "vanilla or white".
    Superficial employees and team culture.
    Call center.
    Working with pseduo tech snobs.
    Quirky products and inventions are overhyped
    The elderly customers do not get the attention they deserve.

You need to tighten management, everyone does a process differently which lead to conflict.