Quomation Insurance Services

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
3.5

J.R. Jensen

Pros
  • the tech support team does a good job of working with our IT guys to get the job done (in 5 reviews)

• The employees are great and have a real desire to make something of the company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a constant fear that you'll get there in the morning and told you've been let go (in 7 reviews)

• All the positive reviews are manadated by management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

IT Professional

Current Employee - IT Professional in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Quomation Insurance Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Quomation is a great place to gain real work place experience for individuals who want to be in the technology field. From tech support, sales and programming positions, the Company offers incredible mentoring programs for individuals who are motivated and wanting to learn.

The best fit tends to be people who have graduated high school and are either in college or just have finished college and are looking for part time to full time employment. Very organized support and resource system and open communication between the various departments.

Quomation alumni can be found in all parts of the world - from CIA analysts, ph D.s in engineering to MDs, I personally keep in touch with them and a lot of former employees as we had a great time working together. The comment I hear most is "well if we knew how big you guys were going to have grown, of course we would have stuck around." It's all good - company was built and is being built by great people.

Cons

Nothing against Quomation but I never rate any company I worked with a "5". I also have never rated a Company I worked for a "1". Main reason for this is I'm an eternal optimist, always thinking there is that "perfect" company out there. I have worked for some companies I didn't care for, but there are always life experiences to be gained no matter how trying the experience is.

I have mentored quite a few young people who have came through the Company here and enough have told me this, that it is worth putting in print. When someone gets a job offer after working at the Q, and it is for money more than they are making, some guys told me they felt they should have been paid more and get upset. The beauty of an at will labor market is everyone can always look. Getting another job to make more money isn't a bad thing! No different than playing college football for "free" and then getting a chance to go play in the NFL. I mention this as a "con" because this is a young person (i'm old as dirt) generation issue - where they have been raised thinking its all about them. The challenge Q faces is no different than any other company I've been with - the young talent just needs to be nurtured - but its perfectly fine to not keep everyone. Being part of a winning team has always been more satisfying for me than seeking personal enrichment. I've been lucky at Q - i feel like I have both.

I commend you for getting rid of your two offices and merging the operations into one. The quality of the employees in SLC county, in my opinion, is far better. I really enjoyed the holiday party - Ruth Chris steaks. Wow. I thought the employee award recognition was great - as every one who received an individual award recognized his or her team members as the reason the award was given. Very Classy. Keep working hard to provide challenges and fulfillment for your employees and they in turn will provide a meaningful and exciting product for your customers.

Recommendation: Work for 6-18 months for experience then work at a company that values you

Former Employee - Miscellaneous Lead in Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Miscellaneous Lead in Midvale, UT

I worked at Quomation Insurance Services full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The program is fairly easy to pick up and dive right into. It is a good job to get initial experience. They are at times willing to work around school hours and are usually understanding about that. The majority of people there were fun to work with. The programming manager is very experienced and knows the program. He can and does help you fairly quickly whenever you had an issue that required his assistance.

Cons

The main issue i had with the company was how they treated their employees. They vacillated between treating us as children that needed to be babysat and not caring what were were doing at all.

The pay was far under industry standard, I went from a middle leadership position their to and entry level testing position at another company and received a moderate pay increase excluding all of the new benefits that were available. There is very little room to advance in the company as well, they go through periods of lowering the pay caps when the owner feels he has to many employees, then when to many people leave the company you have to push for raises and if there is no threat of you leaving at a critical time raises are very grudgingly given.

Excluding 2 or 3 people everyone is treated as if they are expendable. The program is fairly easy to maintain and its not to hard to train someone new but this attitude towards employees causes you to both fear for your job and just want to not work there. We have had several instances where someone was fired for a trivial reason, often because they annoyed the owner on a personal level. When the company moved locations there were token compensations made but the tone myself and several others felt was simply, we do not care if you work here, do or don't we can replace you with no issues. This led to 75% of a development team leaving the company in a four month period.

Really it all comes back to how little the majority of employees are valued. The management has an attitude that you should be grateful to be employed and payed below standard. They often go through periods where they try and squeeze more and more from people they are undervaluing. The owner views himself as on par with one of the larger and successful presidents and picks some policies and buzzwords from them, but misses the underlying way they built the company through the employees. Due to this turnover is exceedingly high, there is very little desire to do more than is expected and help the company grow, and you often feel like you are on the verge of getting terminated.

End users are also treated this way, customers have a hard time getting in contact with anyone in authority. The support department does what it can but when there is minimal benefit to sales for keeping a customer happy after making the sale they have no force pushing them to try and work with customers. Often the customer is misled and then forced to live with the contract or eat the installation fee and cancellation fee that the iron clad contract demands. There is little understanding for the very regular down time caused by servers going down or bad planning on managements part.
    I started many years ago and I witnessed the progressive decline of understanding and treatment for employees and customers.

Value your employees, true everyone can be replaced but an employee that has been there for over a year should be more valued than a new employee. Change policies that make little or no sense, try and create an atmosphere that makes people want to work for you instead of dreading each day coming into the office. Stop trying to make the employees feel like they are in your debt and need to make that up to you and instead make them feel like you are grateful for the effort they put forth in your company for its benefit and make them want to go above and beyond knowing that there will be some benefit to them for doing so.

Also either hire more employees and realize that having a slight excess is valuable or reward those employees who have folded additional responsibilities into their position. Having half of a department quit, including those paid much more than anyone staying, taking on all of their responsibilities throughout the department and when one of you asks for a raise telling them you will see if its in the budget is ridiculous. Especially when it is being made known that that year was one of the most profitable yet. It makes people look for work elsewhere. This is the core issue, employees aren't valued and so they leave. Since the company keeps making a profit keeping this terrible outlook I do not see this ever changing.

computer programmer

Current Employee - Computer Programmer in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Computer Programmer in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Quomation Insurance Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Quick build cycles and a fast moving programming environment. My former job we did software updates once per year and on average, we are doing updates here once a month. When I first got here it was like seeing a really busy road and trying to cross without crosswalk! But now I understand why we do updates so frequently and it fits my personality and I like the work I am doing. My supervisor is great, he's super cool under pressure and he actually codes too. My last boss, everyone wondered if he knew how to code.

One other thing - I had Blue Cross/Blue Shield for health insurance at my last job. There is nothing wrong with BXBS outside of Utah - but in Utah you got to be really careful which hospitals you go to because a lot of them don't have a contract with BXBS. Quomation uses Select Health, which in my opinion is the only real option because they have hospitals everywhere. They got great flexibility with it - its open panel so if your family needs a certain specialist, you can sign up for the tier of insurance that takes them. Dental insurance pays for your annual cleanings and a cavity here or there - so the normal stuff.

Cons

Utah isn't silicon valley. In recent years there has been an explosion of companies coming into the state for software related jobs. It is hard to attract people from outside the state who have no roots to Utah and currently more people are moving out of the state than are moving in. The programming tasks we do here are not super complex so we tend to hire younger programmers who are eager to learn but lack workplace experience.

Continue hiring a good mix of new and experienced programmers. I also like the QA team as they are a very thorough bunch to work with.

sales rep

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Midvale, UT

I have been working at Quomation Insurance Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

our IT guy brews a cup of coffee and always - i mean always has it ready for me when i roll in. it may sound simple but i am ready to settle into my day with my fresh cup of joe!

as for sales, - we got vertically integrated product lines and a really good development team. the tech support team does a good job of working with our IT guys to get the job done. i also like my sales manager - can be hard nosed at time when the sales are down but the love is there when i am bringing in contracts. i like the environment.

Cons

when i was hired i was told i would interact with the customers - both new and former.interact? i may as well let some of these people move into my office. wow. totally different from my last job and it did freak me out at first. i have adjusted and get it - we are a small company and i get to keep what i kill. so just some advice if you're looking at working here - be ready for some characters!

could we please get some green tea in the breakroom? i know you're going to know who wrote this when you see it posted but some days, i just feel like green tea in the morning.

software developer

Current Employee - Software Developer in Midvale, UT

Pros

small teams of 3-5 people - programming tasks are short in time span - weeks or maybe a month for a long project. managers do daily meetings to check on progress but these are usually very short. weekly meetings last about 30 minutes and do involve team members to participate and defend code/logic on assignments. good location in the middle of the salt lake valley. commute is easy with alternate ways to get to the office.

Cons

they tend to promote from within - which don't get me wrong -i like but you got some people in positions who do not know what is going on. i know this is the typical arm chair quarterback rant but please cut loose the ones who do not get their work done or do it in a manner where i or someone else has to redo it. i'll take a slower, more detail oriented programming team member over someone who either lacks the desire or ability to do something right.

i would like to see employees who go the extra mile rewarded. if someone doesn't do the job right, make them come in on a weekend to fix what they broke. if someone always writes good code and gets updates out on time, reward them with an extra PTO or day off before a holiday. let everyone know that you reward for productivity.

Business model fitting of a fascist state

Former Employee - Software Developer in Midvale, UT
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Midvale, UT

I worked at Quomation Insurance Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Its just a stepping stone for those new to the labor force.

Cons

Benefits are terrible, employee moral is below zero, people get fired for no good reason, turnover was over 100 percent in 2012 and is still pretty high, company is plagued with scandals, lawsuits, poor management, decline in revenue, security issues, data theft... You name it.

All the positive reviews are manadated by management. Just check the BBB rating, and call Xactware and ask for any former Quomation employees, they will happily tell you what they think.

Nothing really, as the good old saying goes: you can't fix st....

Don't waste your time

Former Employee - Employee/Drone
    Former Employee - Employee/Drone

I worked at Quomation Insurance Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some great co workers who shared the struggle.

Cons

Poorly run. Servers were hardly more than low end gaming desktops stuffed in server racks. Pc's made from cheapest components available at the time. Suggestions taken as a challenge to authority. My "raise" from hourly to salary actually lost me money cost me more hours to work per week. Some really great talent gets fired from here and scooped up by other companies who recognise skill and value.

Just keep doing what you are doing. I would want to help stop the train wreck of a company you run.

best retirement plan i had

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Orem, UT

Pros

So at my current job i found out how good the retirement plan was at Quomation. While Quomation didn't use a 401K - they have the closest equivalent which is a Simple IRA. My current 401K charges a 1% annual maintenance fee no matter what. Plus, I am given a set number of choices for investments. I cannot go out and buy individual stocks, bonds or any mutual fund I want. I am force fed like five choices. Again, if you are working at Quomation or are considering it - take it from someone who didn't think either way - the retirement plan they have rocks and they match 100% of your contributions up to 3% of your pay. My current employment only will do 2%.

Cons

lol - that i'm not there anymore making the big fat paychecks in sales that i was doing before. its okay in the end, the guy who replaced me would have been hard to compete with as he is smooth as butter on sales calls. i guess if i need to list a complaint it would be they do keep track of numbers and you got to hit them

for whatever it is worth - thanks for the sweet retirement plan. I loved the $7 trades and the fact a big fat zero was taken out in management fees with it as well. for anyone who has never done a retirement plan at work - you won't find it better than this.

product developer

Current Employee - Software Developer in Midvale, UT

Pros

Benefits are important to me and my family and I love the fact the company has multiple options available to its employee. Dental is great too, they got a big panel of dentists. This may not be a big deal to a young single guy who is healthy but coming from somewhere where we had very restrictive benefits - it is a huge deal. In Utah, you cannot have access to certain hospitals unless you're with the big health insurance company IHC. By having my health insurance through them, it gives my family maximum flexibility.

As for the programming work, it is very straight forward. Most of is in XML and not too difficult. I did not like team programming, especially for simple to medium level programming work and I enjoy taking ownership of the projects I am assigned.

Time off policy is as standard as it gets - you accrue days each pay period and are able to use them as long as you give your supervisor notice. I have had a couple of nice promotions since I have been here . What I really like is the cookie cutter work schedule. You do have to program at the office, but when I go home, I don't have to think or worry about work.

Cons

The coding work here may not be challenging enough for experienced programmers. You are not going to have super complex problems to solve. Now on the flip side, the Company has hired some people who do not have enough programming experience and they struggle with the "here's your project go figure it out" mentality. It is basically blue collar programming - if there was such a thing. Not google sexy but like i mentioned above, I sleep at night because my kids got great benefits. So it works for me.

Encourage more collaboration between departments. I know this may be easier said than done but in the end, there are plenty of big, impersonal companies out there and that isn't what you want this to be. Encourage questions and discussion to be done both within the teams as well. Reward team productivity more often as well.

customer support rep

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Midvale, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Midvale, UT

Pros

Good employment opportunity. Company rewards loyalty and does what is needed it to acquire, train and keep the right employees. They routinely have incentives and give raises to people who perform. I personally like their health and dental insurance as i haven't found a doctor/dentist who won't take it.

Cons

The company used to have a culture that encouraged regular overtime hours but didn't tie the additional hours to true performance. I personally have seen the change where overtime is tied to specific projects. The problem is some people assigned to projects are not getting them done and management needs to do a better job giving the right project to the right person.

I understand you can't keep everyone but at the same time make a push to keep the good team players here. Be open when someone is let go what they were doing wrong but also what things they did good as well. It helps all the team members do a better job. Get regular feedback from your team leads.