Quorum Business Solutions, Inc.

www.qbsol.com

Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. Reviews

Updated Jun 5, 2014

Perry Turbes

Do not stay longer than a year

Software Consultant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsTraining was great, they teach you everything you need to know to gain the skills necessary to be a dynamite employee in another company in oil and gas or software solutions. The competencies they teach you is C#, SQL, C++ and functional oil and gas knowledge. Their pay is also slightly above average, but what it comes with is a 9-10 hour expected work day, and that's just scraping by to not get fired in their eyes.

ConsAs stated earlier, 9-10 hour work days required at a minimum. If you see problems and want to contribute to the betterment of the company, you should find another company before you bring it up because they have fired for much less than that. I have seen 100% yes I did not make a mistake, 100% turn over rate in a calendar year. I joined the company and a year later the company had the same number of employees yet terminated (or the talented ones left) close to 50. The only way to prove that you are committed to bettering yourself and the company is to bill more time to a client project and work 12 hour days minimum for no overtime or benefits. the directors I have worked with do not understand business at all, human capitol and retention is laughed at and defecated on when addressed. They don't staff projects appropriately and will expect you to travel Monday morning leaving your house at 3:00 AM only to return to your home city at 11:00PM on Friday night. The company unethically expects 100% billable time out of every employee (even if they are not assigned to a project where its reasonable to expect a fully billable day), so they do not believe in employee/talent development past the first 3 weeks of training.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in outside help to reinvent your culture and make the employees feel like its their life, the new generations value time much more than the past generations. Learn to adapt or always expect to be left with the underperforming employees while the rock stars easily leave for better lives and better pay at your competing companies.

Poised to be a success story of the new NA energy economy

Director (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsQuorum is a rapidly growing company in a rapidly growing industry. It offers employees a great environment to learn both the software and Oil and Gas industries. It is on the leading edge of Oil and Gas Accounting solutions and offers smart motivated consultants the ability for to advance quickly.

ConsLong hours are expected. - Those who are motivated and engaged should not find this unusual. I do not know of any consulting company that would expect any different.

Some travel will be required However most of the industry is in Dallas, Houston, Oklahoma and Denver so long international trips are rare.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo more to let employees know they are appreciated

Quorum did not make such a great impression for me due to group arrangements.

Consultant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsVery large learning curve especially for entry level employees.

ConsNot very diverse yet (growing company) and people don't always mingle outside their work group of associates or friends.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreating some fun activities such as incentives etc. could help employees perform better and create room for associates to meet each other. I don't believe there is enough room for social activities as an entire company. Noticed many people who haven't met each other but have been working in the company for 2 or more years.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Learning Environment

Consultant (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood environment to learn technical side of oil and gas software
    Take "non-tech" people and give them time to learn technical skills to apply to client solutions

ConsVery little guidance when first starting out
    New employees can feel lost due to being away from the rest of your team that may be travelling

Great Place to Start a Career

ProsQuorum, like many companies in professional services, provides opportunities that are both diverse and frequently unachievable in industry jobs. You will be pressed to take more and more responsibility. If things go well and you are willing to work hard, you will find yourself with titles that few of your university peers have achieved. Salary seems very competitive.

The company is doing very well in the marketplace. While certain product areas still have formidable competition, Quorum is ultimately winning more software selections than they lose.

ConsCompany is now owned by private equity and several members of the executive team have changed. Corporate objectives seem to have intensified and the strategies to meet the objectives seem to be a little naive. Management is constantly reinventing the wheel.

High turnover leads to great initial opportunity but little continuous growth.

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsAs a small company, you really get a chance to get deeply involved in the product support and implementations early on. You are given more responsibilities quickly as you're ready to take them on.

ConsThere is a lot of turnover, so it can be difficult to find people with expertise on certain products. The growth potential also plateaus with a limited number of large implementation projects and continuing education opportunities.

Horrible Work/Life Balance

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsThe salary is decent until you factor in all your work hours. Most of the employees (senior consultant and below) are young and hard-working. Quorum is willing to hire people of all educational backgrounds. Instant messaging is not restricted. You get free sodas and coffee/tea.

ConsQuorum is very strict about billable hours. You can't put in below 45 hours for a week even if you worked 100 hours the previous week. They don't support training during work either, even though almost all of the technical knowledge is proprietary and not useful outside the company's applications. I was forced to attend mandatory brown-bag lunches where no food was provided and I could not bill the time because I was "volunteering" my lunch hour(s). If you go over estimate on a task (because you needed help from someone or because someone else messed up), you will get blamed for it for a long time. If you are assigned to go out of town for a project, travel time is not billable. If you get to work at 6:30 a.m. and leave at 5 p.m. you will get dirty looks from management for leaving early. I've been there on at least two occasions after 7 p.m. where upper management walked around the cubes to see who was still at work.

You get employee evaluations every 6 months which focus mostly on your negative aspects, i.e. "Describe the employee's tasks" and then "List 3 areas where the employee needs to improve." There are no sections on tasks that employees do well, so when reviews were written, I had a lot of higher-level people asking me for input, but only for negative qualities just so they could fill out the evaluation paperwork. They don't like to give As. Promotions are completely arbitrary based on where you are assigned and your manager, so don't expect a clear-cut path or specific length of time to get promoted. Managers sometimes base your performance on non-specific details they hear from other people, so it's up to you to prove them wrong if the report is false. You will be expected to perform at that level before you are promoted, i.e. you need to do management tasks for 6 months before you get promoted to manager. Bonuses and raises (if you manage to get them) are hilariously small. You don't get a lot of input into where you want to go in the company; you can say you want to travel or don't want to travel, but management doesn't seem to take that into account when assigning people on projects.

The company culture is non-existent. You are expected to put your head down and work work work. Quorum has 2 social activities a year: a potluck on Thanksgiving and a holiday party outside work hours, but other than that makes no effort to celebrate its employees or foster an environment of collaboration and teamwork. There is no pride in the products and I honestly don't even know what anyone else accomplished outside my department. It was just a place to work and get paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a culture where people are both proud of their work and accountable for their actions. If you focus too much on the short-term profits, you will not retain employees and will lose all that knowledge when they bolt for greener pastures. It is much more cost-effective to spend extra money on company activities or bigger bonuses, provide training hours, and forgive people for putting in one lowly 8-hour day, to create a happy environment rather than skimp out and just hire college grads once all the experienced people quit from exhaustion.

Do not punish employees for giving you honest, constructive feedback. Take a small amount of time, even if it's once every 2 weeks, to get to know your subordinates and understand how hard they are working instead of passively receiving information about them from someone else. I made an effort to talk to employees at least every Friday afternoon just to make sure they were doing well and to see if I could do something to help them. You have hard-working employees, treat them well and let them know when they're doing well. Be grateful and appreciate when employees are willing to put in an exceptional amount of hours to get something done on time for you.

Pay ok, bad business practices, frustrating to those who are motivated to do well

(Current Employee)

ProsDepending on your major, you may find your pay here to be higher or lower than it would be elsewhere, and the coworkers (Manager level and below) are intelligent people who are willing to help. Certain product groups do have happy employees, but most of them do not; it comes down to the Senior Managers.

ConsThe company does not value their employees. Since it is a consulting company, they charge clients by the hour, and so billable hours are extremely important. It is YOUR fault if the group is low on work. Don't be fooled by the overall good rating of this company; since this company is so small, most people refuse to post anything on these sites. They are okay with the high turnover rates, as inexperience means more billable hours.

The company also seems extremely cheap. For example, when the Houston office moved locations from a free parking situation to one that would cost from $130+ (mostly $200)/ month, they only reimbursed the employees $75/month, TAXABLE.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better.

Great career opportunities in stable industry

Senior Management (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsCompany culture is similar to small company where everyone is very close. With the company growth, the structure is becoming more solid with well-defined processes being implemented. Because of this, there is a lot of opportunity for folks to contribute to the structure. Your voice is heard and performance is recognized with a very comprehensive 6 month evaluation program. Great compensation for those that perform. Above average compensation for even those that are not top performers.

ConsTypical with consulting companies with higher turnover. Depending on your role, there may be a lot of travel but most of the clients are Houston-based. Overall, very young group.

Quorum Life

Consultant (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsHighly help in you career development and technical training

ConsThere is not a single Con for this company

Worked for Quorum Business Solutions, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!