Quorum Business Solutions, Inc.

www.qbsol.com
Employer Engaged

Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. Reviews in Houston, TX

Updated February 24, 2015
Updated February 24, 2015
3.2

Perry Turbes

Pros
  • Good environment to learn technical side of oil and gas software (in 8 reviews)

• Good exposure to a wide variety of tasks, companies, and parts of the oil and gas industry (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • They are okay with the high turnover rates, as inexperience means more billable hours (in 4 reviews)

• Sometimes it is difficult to have a charge code to apply all 9 hours of your work day (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

27 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Always up

Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Management knows how to grow a company. Quorum grew more in the last year than it did in any other year. That's impressive considering the growth this company has experienced since its' inception.

Cons

Hires young folks that don't know any better. Unfortunately, there are folks at Quorum that don't understand that the company's growth is exceptional and feeds their career growth.

Keep growing

Consultant

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working for this company forces you to sharpen your technical skill sets.

Cons

Typical Run and Gun consulting firm which visible makes the choice to bill client hours over investing in their own products to correct inefficiencies. Very bad business practices. The leadership team is very disconnected from most employees and has no regard for your work life balance.

There are very few training opportunities. Company culture needs a lot of work.

Work hard, don't play at all

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc.

Pros

Good pay, upward mobility, young work environment, a lot of good experience.

Cons

Can be impossible to get help. When on a project people will just ignore you. Company over promises so we always look real bad to the client. Quorum takes on way too many jobs, stretching everybody thin. Upper management not grown in Quorum are under qualified, creating a mess in upstream. Worst HR team ever, isn't helpful at all...

Please fix upstream. Stop selling functionality that doesn't work and making enhancements when the core product is broken. Hire an HR team that looks out for the employees.

Only if you have NO other options

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is fair coming straight out of college. They do have a training period if that's what you want to call it.

Cons

The company is pitched as a consulting company when you are hired but all in all is a software development sweatshop your first few years. Groups are small and the turnaround is so high that the people you want to learn from aren't around any longer. Question are mainly answered with the phrases "we just figure things out here" or "look in the code". If you do not have coding experience translates to "I do not know either but I don't want to say it out loud".lSince the company hires mostly right out of college there is an excitement level that new hires bring with them but shortly after the company takes its tole and crushes that as well. I have never seen so many people that seem stuck in a job rather than enjoy what they do. There is a small bonus given once a year unless you are upper management, then you are taken care of a little better. They do offer a 401k but the matching is so low it is almost pointless. Don't let them fool you with all the oil and gas talk. When it comes down I it, all of the perks that you hear about when working in O&G do not come with a position at Quorum.

Get to know your staff. Spend some actual time talking to them that isn't telling them where they can do better or what they have done wrong in a meeting. If you expect the people that follow you to do something you might want to have some sort of idea of how to do it yourself.

Terrible Operations

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

The pay is good for recent college grads, depending on the major (a little low for engineering, high for MIS). A lot of work can be done independently if your manager allows it. The company focuses on hiring new college grads so a majority of the employees are younger than 30. If you do not have much software development experience, you can learn a lot by working here as every new employee is required to go through a month-long training session.

Cons

Since I began working here, there have been a couple major changes to the way that employees are paid. First, there used to be a profit-sharing plan where every employee would receive an end-of-year bonus based on how the company did that year. Just a couple months after I began working there, the plan was changed so that only managers and above received it. The company still gives out end-of-year bonuses to the senior consultants and consultants but they really are laughable compared to what other companies give (especially in the O&G arena). Second, evaluations are done every 6 months which originally included a decent raise (~5%). Recently this was changed so that raises are only given at the end of the year. This was a major blow as most employees looked forward to the relatively often raises to help them feel like they were actually rewarded for the long hours they put in.

The workplace culture and work/life balance is very dismal. Most of the employees are young and will try to boost company moral just by sheer energy, but there is little to no support from management to aid this. This results in a very, very high turnover rate. Not to mention that the office culture only helps you if you're in the office; most project teams have only a few people on them and if you don't get along then it can be very tough. I imagine this is a possibility for any consulting company (as even some executives have mentioned it in meetings) but that is in no way an excuse. A company cannot survive by constantly shedding the talent that builds them up. This might work in the short-term, but eventually another company will figure out how to do it right and Quorum will only have itself to blame.

All of this comes down to the fact that Quorum's management simply does not care about its consultants. They will make low-ball sales pitches in order to land deals and then do whatever it takes to meet their promises to the clients. That includes working the project team to death, hence the extremely high turnover rate. When this is pointed out to management, they simply ignore it and pretend like they can keep operating this way.

Find ways to keep your employees and keep them happy; otherwise, they will leave to continue to leave for other jobs and Quorum will never be a top-tier company.

Good

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good place to get experience

Cons

Job can be too stressful sometimes

Listen to employees

Great place to grow!

I have been working at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. full-time

Pros

I came through the "college recruiting" process just like most of the other employees here. I had 2 round of interviews on campus with different managers then got a call to come visit the office. The office visit is what really won me over! The Houston office is amazing! We got a chance to talk to some of the current employees over dinner and they told me what their likes/dislikes are about the company and even gave me some tips for my office interview. The next day, you have an interview with an executive of the company. I wouldn't even call it an 'interview' it was more of a conversation. The same night after my office visit, I got a call from someone in recruiting with the offer. (Very quick turnaround).

I've been here for almost a year and I am already a 'back-up' for my BL and the backup team lead. Quorum really cares about the growth of their employees!

Cons

In the beginning, it may seem like you are working long hours (50-60 p/wk). After a couple months when you get the hang of it you learn how to manage your own time. The way I look at it - more time and effort you put into something the more you will get out of it.

Good first job after college, but not a lot of potential for growth

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

As a college hire I was given training in cpp and sql development, skills that have served well with subsequent employers. I enjoyed the people I worked with and learned great project planning skills. Benefits were also great.

Cons

After working a Quorum for several years I realized that there is little chance for advancement past the senior consultant / manager level.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

Lots of experience and responsibility straight out of college. Friendly people. Open workplace where employees are encouraged to ask questions. Mentor program for new employees. 4 week training teaches lots of information/technologies. Opportunities to help out with recruitment process. Flexible work time frames (as long as you put in your 9+ hours). Really intelligent co-workers. Work activities can change day by day, so tasks will never be boring. The company is doing great overall in their industry.

Cons

Other employees will know and gossip about your new role/project before you even know it (so you'll usually hear unofficially first). Some employees have to work long 12+ hours days on projects and generally seem unhappy. High turnover. Sometimes it is difficult to have a charge code to apply all 9 hours of your work day. Depending on the teams, there can be issues in communication.

Focus on employee retention. Ensure all managers & above are openly communicating tasks. Find a way to ease the stress of charge codes.

Great place to work for people that are driven to succeed.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent place to work if you enjoy being challenged and desire the opportunity to take on responsibility. It's great to be surrounded by other highly motivated and intelligent people.

Cons

Fast paced work environment with high expectations, may not be right for everyone. Sometimes the pressure that comes from the high expectations adds to overall job stress.

Quorum Business Solutions, Inc. Photos