Quorum Review

Updated September 11, 2014
2.3

Cami Gearhart

Great!

I have been working at Quorum Review full-time (more than an year)

Pros

An absolutely great place to work and cut your teeth.

Cons

You really do have to work!

RUN!

I worked at Quorum Review (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and the employees work very hard

Cons

The worst management I have ever seen from the top to middle management. Poor communication and no company direction. Very poor business decisions. I had no idea there was so much abuse towards employees when I took the position. I couldn't wait to leave and very happy I moved on.

Hire managers that have business knowledge and are professional. The terrible management is the main reason why turnover is very high.

Massive Turnover! Sinking Ship!

I worked at Quorum Review full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- It wasn't unpaid.
    - Dental benefits

Cons

EVERYTHING ELSE

Massive turnovers like clockwork. Inept management. Poisonous culture. Zero vision. It's clear the company has been packaged to sell for a while with no buyers interested in taking on that mess. (*The Copernicus Group opted to purchase WIRB in 2012 rather than take on this stinking mess)

Invest in experienced executive and management talent. Rebuild from the floor up.

Stay Away!

I worked at Quorum Review full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Contributing to the ethical protection of human subjects is very satisfying. Quorum Review provides an essential service to the healthcare community.

Cons

-Weak executive leadership
    -Unethical middle management
    -Poor communication throughout the organization
    -Lacks overal vision and direction

Bring in leadership with real-world business experience. This industry is going through some major changes and Quorum Review needs leaders that can pave the way for the future.

Great people, but...

I worked at Quorum Review

Pros

Good benefits, competitive pay, diverse staff, opportunity for growth within company. The best thing about this company is the people you work with.

Cons

Very high employee turnover due to unreasonable workload. Many employees seem to be unhappy and are always looking for jobs elsewhere.

A great place to gain experience so you can move on...

Former Employee - Document Administration in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Document Administration in Seattle, WA

I worked at Quorum Review full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can gain the experience you need at Quorum and move on to better companies

Cons

From my time working here, I have witnessed the following:
    -Everyone works at least 9 hours plus per day. Dept is horribly understaffed. High turnover due to employee dissatisfaction.
    -Mandatory OT. If you decline due to outside obligations, they will bring it up during your yearly review and you will get less of a pay increase...that is, if you get one at all
    -Management is petty and reactive. I have seen good employees demoted due to politics, for providing honest feedback to management.
    -Letting go of temps that have worked for the company for years and yet keeping on staff that consistently calls out, or completely ineffective in their job that they clog up the process. If you complain, see comment above on management and feedback.
    - Management hire supervisors and leads from outside the company rather than promote from within. They have more faith in qualifications strangers put on paper rather than the commitment and dedications that their own staffs have shown day in and day out
    -The message that management like to convey is that you are NOT valuable to the company and often desks were not yet "cold" before another "warm" body is brought in to replace your job
    -Management from Leads to upper management are 90% of the time "Away" at meetings and yet they have no concept of what it is that you do and the results of these "meetings" only contribute to them not having to do any real "work" because poor work conditions and unfair treatment continues to exist despite the many "meetings" that they go to every day.

The only advice I provided to HR when I left: You can not have "talks" or "train" management to see values and/or potentials in their employees. They either do or they don't. The whole management team needs to be replaced in my opinion.

Off Mission

I worked at Quorum Review full-time

Pros

excellent colleagues and individual contributors

Cons

This company claims to protect Human Research Subjects, and yet inhumane management has dropped the ball every time, and then their poor decisions lead to massive lay-offs and disgruntled, disengaged employees.

I can't even begin to outline the day-to-day horror of working for people who simply didn't care about me at all.

There is a significant lack of technical and strategic expertise from leadership, so they steal ideas from their staff, claim them as their own, and then sweep their bad ideas under the rug.

My manager was the categorical "work bully" and goes through staff like toilet paper.

Do not work here unless you want to be emotionally abused.

Do not lie. Sell the company.

Good people and motivation.

I worked at Quorum Review

Pros

Fair minded and caring. Open to suggestions. Flexibility.

Cons

Need more feedback on employee appreciation.

Create more opportunities for advancement.

Nice industry, stable job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Quorum Review full-time

Pros

This is a great industry to have knowledge of, as it can lead to some great opportunities should you desire. The CEO is very personable and demonstrates a desire to continue the growth and stability of the company.

Cons

This company has a lack of communication between teams and all levels of management, which causes progress to move very slowly. There is a high emphasis on churning out results on tight deadlines rather than truly understanding what you are addressing and learning from your previous work. Most employees work long hours and employee recognition is lacking.

Great company vision, disappointing work reality

Former Employee - Administrative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Quorum Review full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The downtown location is very central, with lots of buses and light rail, tons of places to grab lunch. Commiserating with fellow employees over the extreme stresses and feelings of under-appreciation is like therapy. The IT department is extremely responsive and made up of very fun people who enthusiastically helped us with any issues we had with our antiquated work tools. The CEO is one of the most personable people in the company. The company was/is going paperless, which is a green step and a good one.

Cons

Where to begin? The first negative feeling I got was "Do your job and do not complain, for you are easily replaceable." The handbook states that no punishment will come from employees expressing grievances regarding their position. This is completely untrue.

Employee sense of worth is very low and HR reinforces this. If you go to HR with a serious complaint, they will not have your back. The purpose of HR here is to side with upper management, not the rest of the staff. Period. Keep this clearly in your mind if you work here and feel the need to go to HR for something. And document everything that is said, for your words can be twisted. I know this from experience.

Compensation is below average for the same types of positions in the area. It was explained to us that compensation was "competitive," though the competition seems to be which company can pay the least amount to their workers while still maintaining high levels of work.

Amount of work is very, very excessive due to Quorum cutting corners by under-staffing their departments. The company operates on a model of hiring just barely enough people to keep from getting too far behind. They could *easily* hire more staff, but they choose instead to work their employees to the breaking point. If you cannot keep up, if you let things slip while juggling an enormous workload with no assistance in sight, you will be terminated. They vacillate between mandatory overtime due to poor management decisions and zero overtime allowed without detailed documentation of your entire day to justify said overtime being requested.

Software tools are very, very outdated, including Windows, Outlook, Word, etc... although upper management has all new system tools. Those who are hourly are not afforded that option. They state it is because of certain software restrictions in one of the databases, however managers use these same databases and yet they have the most current tools. It's embarrassing to receive a document from an external client that you can't even open because it's the newest version of Word. The software is antiquated enough to the point that the company has damaged their working relationship with some outside clients.

Bonus structure, which once used to be great, is no longer so. Quorum used to base their bonus structure on seniority, regardless of what department you are in. It felt like a reward for your demonstrated loyalty in sticking with the company. Now, they base bonuses on whether you are in an hourly position or a salary position, regardless of how long you have stayed with the company. Salary positions have received 4 Times the bonus amount as hourly positions. It felt like a slap in the face, especially for tenured hourly employees.

Overall employee morale is low. If you are able to get on buddy-buddy terms with management, you may have a bit easier of a time (i.e. coffee & lunch breaks together, hanging out outside of work, etc). You are replaceable. And the longer you work here, the greater your chances of being let go. It's called "trimming the fat." The company goes through a purge every couple years, and they get rid of too many employees all at once, thus causing a huge bottleneck in work and stress for those still employed, thus there is a high turnover rate in the work force. But the company does not care about this. You do your work and be happy that you have a job, because there are dozens of people out there who will apply for your position once you are gone. And HR reinforces this message.

I sincerely wish you the best if you decide to try your luck with this company.

1. **Hire More People**. Your model of having just barely enough staff to keep things afloat is flawed. Sure you might save some money, but you will never, ever be The Best IRB In The World with your current model. You hurt your employees by voluntarily pushing them to the breaking point and you have lost some very, very amazing and knowledgeable people over time for this exact reason.

2. Update your systems. If a certain operating system is the only thing holding you back, then change the system. It's not rocket science. You have a brilliant IT department to help facilitate this. If you wish to truly remain competitive in this field, you need to catch up with the times instead of resting on "good enough" tools that are a decade behind.

3. Reformat Human Resources, so that it is there to support and protect ALL employees, not just upper management. The bulk of your company is outside upper management, so having HR be management's personal guard dog is flawed and damaging to your company. Your employees live in fear of expressing a work-related grievance (either to their own bosses or to HR directly), because it feels like they are sticking their neck out to get chopped. You have to change this.

4. Quit cutting long-time employees in an effort to save money. By getting rid of the most tenured employees, you lose a huge wealth of experience and knowledge that you should be looking to retain, at all costs. Treating all employees like they are just an expendable piece of machinery only lessens the morale of your people.

5. Scrap the exempt/non-exempt bonus model. It's insulting and smacks of gross corporate practices. You used to pride yourself on your "we're all a family" feel, and years ago, you had that. You're turning into a heartless corporate machine, though, and it's sad. Sure, bonuses are a gift and not to be expected, but for the sake of fairness, go back to basing bonuses on seniority, because those who have stuck with you through the years, regardless of department, seriously deserve the reward.

6. Aim for compensation of your employees that is actually based on the area average, instead of aiming for the lowest possible wage that you can get away with. People I know over the years have interviewed and actually laughed when they were presented the compensation package.

7. Make serious effort to appreciate your work force more. Staff has consistently felt over time that they are viewed as "warm bodies," which is demoralizing and frustrating. I don't know how you could fix this, but management is filled with some experienced people, so I am confident that you can make this work.