Quorum Review Reviews

Cami Gearhart

Company with young management

Former Employee - Study Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Study Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Quorum Review full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Annual reviews with opportunity for pay increase

Cons

- Company's management was very young and exhibited a lack of professionalism.

Business Development Director

Former Employee - Manager Applications Services in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager Applications Services in Seattle, WA

I worked at Quorum Review full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money was good until they find ways to cut back to screw you out of commission. Targets and key accounts change yearly.

Cons

Deceitful and dishonest people who make you feel important, steal your ideas and stab you in the back. Not a good work environment. They maintain a small core group loyal to the paranoid CEO who is the daughter of the owners. Horrible place to work.

Advice to Management

No amount of words will ever change the way you operate. Same things happen over and over again. You have an awful reputation in the industry

If office politics is your cup of tea

Pros

Decent benefits but not worth the experience,

Cons

Big company office politics and no transparency from management at all levels.

Advice to Management

The company has potential but change and the right leadership is needed

Great place to work

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milton, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milton, WA

I worked at Quorum Review full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome downtown location, recently remodeled, nice people, well thought-out holiday parties, on and off site; great benefits and salary; some overtime available if you want that; ability to make up time if you're late; ability to work from home occasionally during inclement weather; great IT team; company small enough to obtain quick response from HR; senior management approachable; very casual dress code.

Cons

hard to get promoted; work is repetitious; not a lot of interaction between employees; everyone super work focused; too much work; mandatory overtime required at times; supervisors could be trained better to keep morale high and build cohesive team, manage conflict resolution among employees, the annual performance review is a bit weird; office environment -- bright florescent lights, open cubicles; everyone looking at their computer screen; very work-intensive environment.

Advice to Management

Get supervisors up to speed on how to be a real supervisor and what exactly that means and what how to excel at being a supervisor, ie. not permit tensions between your employees, provide time for team building, off-site lunches, paths for employee's success, how to praise and motivate. There are plenty of resources supervisors can read to become awesome supervisors and cause their employees to love their job and look forward to increased responsibility and possibly promotion within the company.

6. It's fine

Pros

You get an orca card

Cons

New management Staff keeps quitting Pay is low for all your hard work

Advice to Management

Pay your staff more. Then they might stay.

Bait and switch.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Quorum Review full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On the face of it, this job should make a person feel good: You're told that you play an "active" role in protecting human research participants, regardless of in what department your role falls. The company sells itself as family owned/operated, and the company founders are honored with portraits hanging in the office and a conference room dedicated to them. The office is centrally located, and an Orca card is part of the compensation package. However...

Cons

The salary included in the "compensation" package is dreadfully, insultingly low. Many employees are paid hourly and made to use an archaic web-based system to track work hours, on top of the nuisance of having to clock in and out constantly in ADP. You will receive upwards of 100 emails per day, often being copied multiple times (with the same large attachments included each time). By the way, some of those emails will be threats about not putting food in the sink drains, not using the company wifi to download personal files, and the obligatory references to the employee handbook regarding policies like "club wear" in the office. Back to the actual work: There is no reliable web-based workflow system in place, and a business like this SHOULD have one. I suggested it multiple times within my group. Employees are held to arbitrary "metrics" for evaluations--as if every assignment could be done the same way--when nothing could be further from the truth. It's embarrassing for a company in the shadow of Microsoft and Amazon to be so technologically behind. Every day across the office I heard a constant drone of "it used to be different" [employees used to receive considerable bonuses] and "the portal was supposed to fix everything" [the "portal" apparently was a total failure that imploded just before I arrived]. My stress level was through the roof because I felt I was constantly being judged and forced to work with unreliable information. Put it all together and this is, simply put, a toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Quorum is so eager to please its customer base that it will accommodate all manner of requests. These requests are usually granted by the sales team, with whom most employees never interact. This is a quick and easy way to build resentment among already dissatisfied workers, and there is never a real "thank you" for dealing with special circumstances. Also, employees should not have to manufacture "kudos" for each other when accolades should be raining down from the C-suite for keeping the ball rolling, even in the face of system "upgrades" that anger customers and frustrate internal staff.

8. Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

Quorum Review provided me a great opportunity to learn new skills and significantly increase my management experience. I had the opportunity to work on interesting projects that help the company continue to lead the industry. I also got exposure to some software development projects.

Cons

My only con is that there isn’t a lot of flexibility around working from home or having a flexible schedule - Although, as a manager, I appreciate that it is important that i be present to work with my teams.

Advice to Management

I think the company is well-managed and poised for continued success. I’m very optimistic about the company and opportunities within the industry.

Abusive, dysfunctional team

I worked at Quorum Review full-time

Pros

The head of the IT department is really great. She provides a level headed approach to leadership and lets her managers direct the day to day operations. The IT department will probably improve now that its abusive manager has been replaced by someone who treats people better.

Cons

The company itself is a mess. People dither about in ridiculous details while ignoring the root cause problems. Individuals are seen mostly as automatons and not respected for their creativity or problem solving abilities.

Advice to Management

Trust in your people and let them contribute in meaningful ways. Stop trying to pin them down or pigeonhole them; let them grow and feel a sense of ownership.

Little Job Satisfaction

Pros

The gym in our lobby is convenient. Among the people I work with, there is a culture of acceptance (of backgrounds and lifestyles) that is far and away better than any company I've previously worked for.

Cons

Morale is low for several reasons. Account Managers (SMs) take on a variable number of accounts. If multiple people quit (I've seen this happen in waves), there will be a heavy impact to and decline in work-life balance. Our daily activities at our computers are electronically tracked, which adds to the competition between coworkers and stress. The stress level is pretty constant. When the pricing structure changes dramatically, count on dealing with upset customers without the support of upper management. The quality of the accounts you inherit can make or break your time here, but I've heard this to be true for account managers at other companies, so I don't know that it's necessarily a con.

Advice to Management

Slow down and hold supervisors accountable for the oversight they are in position to provide.

Disappointing Place

Pros

Great peers, decent benefits; family-owned company. When I first started working, pay was decent, hours were great, and it actually was on making its employees happy. Even after the company began to focus more on the bottom line, speeding every process up, and how it could placate the companies that hired Quorum to review research, the study managers and other support staff have been great people and great workers. The only reason why Quorum gets more than a bottom rating is because of the staff.

Cons

Now, the company is focused on the almighty bottom line at the expense of everything else. People here are overstressed, over-managed, and under compensated. Overtime is often required just to get your work done, but heaven forbid you try to work through lunch so you could make it home at a reasonable hour. Upper management can be very petty and hold grudges. Most of them consistently throw staff under the bus as long as it means making the customer happy, even if the customer screwed up and shifted blame to Quorum. Yet they are the reason why there is such low morale and why the company is aimless floating in failed attempt after failed attempt to upgrade its technological systems to anything that has been released in the past 5 years. There are a few managers that are good, but they are few and far between. I have watched very good, dedicated people be let go with almost no warning because they no longer fit within the company's vision or were sacrificial lambs to the blame game. HR is there to support management and keep them out of any labor trouble. Don't ever go to them about an issue. There is no room for growth. For any management positions, they consistently hired from the outside, with very small exceptions. Most of the current employees are currently looking for a way out because of there is no hope for advancement, the heavy workload, low pay, and looming threat that the wrong mistake becomes their last mistake at Quorum.

Advice to Management

Stop bringing in incompetent people from outside of the company to manage the employees. Trust the longtime people who have helped the company and promote from within. It's a niche business that requires specialized, industry-specific knowledge, and the people who understand it best are the ones to lead it. Support your employees; happy and motivated employees that can satisfy a smaller number of loyal clients who understand what an IRB is supposed to do is far better that having unhappy overstressed employees scrambling to put out fires with a large number of clients who will leave you at the drop of a hat.

RSS Feed </> Embed