Quorum Review Reviews

1. Manager

Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Quorum Review

Pros

Quorum Review provided me a great opportunity to learn new skills and significantly increase my management experience. I had the opportunity to work on interesting projects that help the company continue to lead the industry. I also got exposure to some software development projects.

Cons

My only con is that there isn’t a lot of flexibility around working from home or having a flexible schedule - Although, as a manager, I appreciate that it is important that i be present to work with my teams.

Advice to Management

I think the company is well-managed and poised for continued success. I’m very optimistic about the company and opportunities within the industry.

Little Job Satisfaction

I have been working at Quorum Review

Pros

The gym in our lobby is convenient. Among the people I work with, there is a culture of acceptance (of backgrounds and lifestyles) that is far and away better than any company I've previously worked for.

Cons

Morale is low for several reasons. Account Managers (SMs) take on a variable number of accounts. If multiple people quit (I've seen this happen in waves), there will be a heavy impact to and decline in work-life balance. Our daily activities at our computers are electronically tracked, which adds to the competition between coworkers and stress. The stress level is pretty constant. When the pricing structure changes dramatically, count on dealing with upset customers without the support of upper management. The quality of the accounts you inherit can make or break your time here, but I've heard this to be true for account managers at other companies, so I don't know that it's necessarily a con.

Advice to Management

Slow down and hold supervisors accountable for the oversight they are in position to provide.

Disappointing Place

I worked at Quorum Review

Pros

Great peers, decent benefits; family-owned company. When I first started working, pay was decent, hours were great, and it actually was on making its employees happy. Even after the company began to focus more on the bottom line, speeding every process up, and how it could placate the companies that hired Quorum to review research, the study managers and other support staff have been great people and great workers. The only reason why Quorum gets more than a bottom rating is because of the staff.

Cons

Now, the company is focused on the almighty bottom line at the expense of everything else. People here are overstressed, over-managed, and under compensated. Overtime is often required just to get your work done, but heaven forbid you try to work through lunch so you could make it home at a reasonable hour.

Upper management can be very petty and hold grudges. Most of them consistently throw staff under the bus as long as it means making the customer happy, even if the customer screwed up and shifted blame to Quorum. Yet they are the reason why there is such low morale and why the company is aimless floating in failed attempt after failed attempt to upgrade its technological systems to anything that has been released in the past 5 years. There are a few managers that are good, but they are few and far between. I have watched very good, dedicated people be let go with almost no warning because they no longer fit within the company's vision or were sacrificial lambs to the blame game.

HR is there to support management and keep them out of any labor trouble. Don't ever go to them about an issue.

There is no room for growth. For any management positions, they consistently hired from the outside, with very small exceptions. Most of the current employees are currently looking for a way out because of there is no hope for advancement, the heavy workload, low pay, and looming threat that the wrong mistake becomes their last mistake at Quorum.

Advice to Management

Stop bringing in incompetent people from outside of the company to manage the employees. Trust the longtime people who have helped the company and promote from within. It's a niche business that requires specialized, industry-specific knowledge, and the people who understand it best are the ones to lead it. Support your employees; happy and motivated employees that can satisfy a smaller number of loyal clients who understand what an IRB is supposed to do is far better that having unhappy overstressed employees scrambling to put out fires with a large number of clients who will leave you at the drop of a hat.

5. Bad Reputation

I have been working at Quorum Review full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bonuses. Good benefits package compared to other employers.

Cons

The job descriptions are unclear and flex based on business needs. Managers are desperate to fill positions, which is reflective of the high turnover here and results in filling vacancies with hardworking, under qualified people. Cramped, high stress work environment. Hours change based on business needs, so childcare is challenging.

Advice to Management

Either run it like a small family company or don't.

Overall Good Experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Quorum Review full-time

Pros

Co-workers were very hardworking and good people. Management is not dominated by a boys club club as there are many women and people of different ethnic backgrounds in key management positions. Good company-hosted events like a Mariners game in the fall and a ballroom dinner in winter. Company paid for ORCA transit pass for full-time workers. My boss encouraged our professional development.

Cons

The commute - a free bus pass is good but 90 minutes on a bus each way can be difficult for people who cannot afford to live closer to the city. Depending on your department the pay could be more competitive.

Advice to Management

Protecting research patients is a good cause but many people pushing the paper don't feel that from day to day. Remind them often that their jobs are important and make them feel appreciated. Offer tuition reimbursement so employees will stay longer when they want to go back to school to improve themselves. Allow more people to telecommute to help with rising commute times. Pay scale may need to be reevaluated as Seattle is becoming a very competitive job market for top talent and an expensive place to live in or even near.

Employee

Former Employee - Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Quorum Review full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly people
    Laid back atmosphere
    Casual attire to include hats
    Mon Friday job
    Orca medical dental medical 401k
    It's a filler job until you find what you want to do. You will learn a few new things.
    Competitive vacation time given
    Holidays off ( the major ones)

Cons

Depending on the department some work very long hours
    Short staffed ( running with just enough to barely Get by)
    Complex systems that are outdated
    Poor communication between departments
    Management is re active and distant some don't know how To perform the job of their department.
    It's a re active environment that lacks training for experienced and newly hired.
    The job is complex and if you fall behind you will drown in work overload.
    The expectations that are given are sometimes unrealistic being the work load given and given just enough to barely get the work done or if they can get it done at all if you know what you are doing.
    Some employees seem unhappy more than happy due to the work loads and the complexity of the task.
    Churn / employees leave due to burn out and frustration. Most states they would have stayed but the work load and unrealistic goals burned them out.

Advice to Management

You have an established business, if you want to retain your employees and not have churn make it a work place worth coming to. It starts with employee recognition and listening to them. hire more people so the current employees don't burn out or call in sick as much. Take feedback on how to improve the business and train management to be pro active instead of re active.

I have been working at Quorum Review full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great downtown location, great insurance and free ORCA card. Casual dress environment.

Cons

Mandatory overtime due to mismanagement. It is no secret most managers are in their own little club and are willing to throw team members under the bus if it makes them look better. Outdated technology, and when system changes are enacted they are done with little to no training for those expected to use them. Because of this, planned launches are often pushed back two weeks.

Advice to Management

They need to clean house completely.

Bad Company

I have been working at Quorum Review

Pros

Commute is easy as it's at Pike.

Cons

Recent IT management sucks with discrimination and Manager's monopoly.

RUN!

I worked at Quorum Review (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and the employees work very hard

Cons

The worst management I have ever seen from the top to middle management. Poor communication and no company direction. Very poor business decisions. I had no idea there was so much abuse towards employees when I took the position. I couldn't wait to leave and very happy I moved on.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that have business knowledge and are professional. The terrible management is the main reason why turnover is very high.

Massive Turnover! Sinking Ship!

I worked at Quorum Review full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- It wasn't unpaid.
    - Dental benefits

Cons

EVERYTHING ELSE

Massive turnovers like clockwork. Inept management. Poisonous culture. Zero vision. It's clear the company has been packaged to sell for a while with no buyers interested in taking on that mess. (*The Copernicus Group opted to purchase WIRB in 2012 rather than take on this stinking mess)

Advice to Management

Invest in experienced executive and management talent. Rebuild from the floor up.