Qwest

Qwest Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014

Qwest President and CEO Glen F. Post, III

Glen F. Post, III

Pros
  • work life balance was the main benefit(in 29 reviews)

• The pay and benefits and training were good(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of upper management issues and lots of fights between union and management(in 11 reviews)

• Senior Management performance varies due to size of organization(in 7 reviews)

Qwest Communications

Qwest Kiosk Manager (Current Employee) Las Cruces, NM

ProsGreat Bonus Potential, Very reasonable bonus objectives

ConsDownsizing, not much rome for advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementGet into VOIP!!!! Drop the landline as a strategic product! Look ahead "wireless broadband" there is a reason Comcast and TimeWarner bought into Clearwire!

Great pay, but...

Sales Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsThe compensation was commensurate with the effort put in, and there were always contests to earn more. There were always giveaways, and instant gratification from hourly reports on sales as a group.

ConsThe required metrics were inflated to encourage turnover, and the ethics were sketchy both in selling and management. The hourly sales reports were also used to shame sales reps, regardless of if they were stuck on billing calls or if systems went down which happened often. There was very little ability to move up from sales, and the management and union were constantly at odds.

Good pay, lots of spiffs. A shame CenturyLink took them all away.

Acquisition Sales Executive II (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsStarted when it was Qwest and they paid well, lots of spiffs and great bonuses. Then CenturyLink took over...

ConsAbsorbed by CenturyLink and salaries went stagnant, commissions went down, quotas went up, no more spiffs, cut bonuses in half. Heavy debt company that buys other companies to show revenue. Not a whole lot of organic growth. Don't like to promote from within; red line the race car until it blows up and then go get a new one. Not very vested in employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your front line and pay them more....or what they're actually worth. Give more authority, flexibility and mobility to your mid-level management so you can be a nimble company. No wonder CLEC's are eating up your marketshare. Some support would help too.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I miss it

ProsWas a Good company to work for

Conspersonal growth was not in my cards with my position

Plenty of OT, not much else to say

DSL Tech (Former Employee) Thornton, CO

ProsMeeting a variety of different people day to day

ConsForced overtime demands, Canceling days off without much notice, Most of the Management is ex Military that has the Military attitude. (Meaning that they push until they get the results that they are after)

When I first started this position they were transitioning over to a different type of training procedure. They went from a excellent training course with very competent people heading up courses, to being trained on the job. This Career calls for continuous training due to emerging new products that are offered to the public and I felt a loss when some of my favorite instructors were let go (not to mention the million dollar training center that closed ).

Depending if you are apt to the adverse weather conditions that Colorado offers, this position is a pretty tough on on the mental stability (Due to management pushing their employee's so they can receive their bonuses) and the physical demands of this job can be a challenge. (Ladder handling, some trucks still don't have air conditioners, )

Since the transfer from Qwest to Centurylink things have gotten a little worse.
    Insurance rates and benefit costs out of pocket are now outrageous. They were alright, but since the contract signing now most people are paying a little more try 5,000.00 a year more!

Also there is a new position that has opened up called the inside tech:
    this tech is essentially doing the same thing as the DSL tech, but without the pay
    DSL 30.00
    inside tech 18.00

Every Time there is a contract neg every 4 years the companies seem to get more of an upper hand on things

BEWARE of joining up with this Company!!!

With all that said, if you are young just out of school or the military and don't have the desire to pursue College this might be a good option for you...

Generally a good place to work. Growth limitations made career strides difficult but overall a good company.

Senior Operations Technician (Former Employee) Highlands Ranch, CO

ProsManagers that don't micro manage. This can be a positive and a negative but overall it was good to work for a company that trusts your skills.

ConsIndividual recognition and some management disconnect with the field. This depended on the manager but there was some frustration with this. Cost cutting made things difficult as well.

Advice to Senior Managementrec

Meatgrinder

Customer Sales and Service Associate (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsThe benefits and salary were good; however, Qwest tried to break the union by moving the job to Idaho and creating a new position that did the same job duties with a lower pay scale.

ConsAs a service and sales consultant, you were expected to take incoming calls complaining about bills and turn them into sales opportunities. It was less than ideal

Advice to Senior ManagementI was not unhappy to be laid off.

Excellent

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsGreat pay if you earn it

Conslong hours but that was part of job

My past experience with Qwest

Switch Technician (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsQwest was a good supporter in training their employees and making sure they received training needed to do the proper job.

ConsWorking doctor's hours without doctor's pay, past management I worked with treated their employees like garbage, my pay was frozen for over 4 years with no increase, yet I found out other employees received raises, and when I questioned them regarding it they said I performed poorly even though I according to their records I had one of the top ticket resolution ratings in the area and when I documented all that I did for them, they still said "it wasn't in the budget." And yet I found certain 'favorite' employees of the manager which were friends of the manager got raises. On top of that, they illegally forced employees to work overtime, and then were told to take 'comp-days', so that they could make sure they weren't overspending on overtime in their budgets, and I got shafted a well over close to a month's pay in overtime money that should have been paid, but I was forced to take the comp-days or be considered a complainer.
    Also I once worked 3 days straight well past the mandatory time of working an employee for 24 hours, which is also illegal, and was never relieved, as I had to work during the 4th of July holiday. During that time, I got sick and after the weekend, I left to go back home. The manager of the office did not want me to leave and wanted me to work a 4th day straight, and ordered me to come back into the office. It was only after I vomited in a waste can did he think I was 'sufficiently sick enough' to send me home.
    This happened during the time I worked for Qwest during 1999-2004. Unfortunately I was not given a choice to represent the company during that time as the earliest they allow a choice his is dating from 2010 or sooner.

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope that things have changed in 10 years since I last worked for Qwest and I would hope that things are different that they were 10 years ago and the management that ran Qwest in the Chicago area since then have left or been replaced.

Good pay and benefits - but an awful culture

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay and benefits and training were good

ConsExtreme micro management. Benefits and commissions were changing when Century Link took over.

Worked for Qwest? Contribute to the Community!