Qwest

Qwest Reviews in Seattle, WA

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Qwest President and CEO Glen F. Post, III

Glen F. Post, III

Pros
  • work life balance was the main benefit(in 29 reviews)

• The pay and benefits and training were good(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of upper management issues and lots of fights between union and management(in 11 reviews)

• Senior Management performance varies due to size of organization(in 7 reviews)

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent

Sales Manager (Former Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsGreat pay if you earn it

Conslong hours but that was part of job

An Awesome Work Culture

Ancustomer Service/Credit Manatnebt (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosthe detailed training-coaching-the authority given each employee to do their job-the union involvement-the relationship between the union and management

ConsThe shift in jobs after the merger with Century Link, Its interesting that because so many like and stay in their jobs, the company is A union house, seniority stays at the top. Seasoned, knowledgeable people, are in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not change the way management interact with employees. Keep the fun in inhouse competition.

OK

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsVery stable company, good salary

ConsThe bureaucracy of the company is overwhelming

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline the processes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

We were taken care of when it came to raises and bonus but the benefits weren't very good, and they froze our pensions.

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsVacation time is very good. at 10 years service in management was getting 30 days Vacation

ConsPension froze, and benefits not very good. 500 a month for me + 3.

Tedious workplace

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsDecent pay and benefits. Technology changes can make the job interesting at times, but overall the job is repititious and mundane.

ConsLack of advencement opportunities. Poor middle and upper management.

Great long term home.

Senior Account Executive (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsYou START with 4 weeks vacation and there is no stigma against using it. Qwest really supports a healthy work/life balance. They are extremely loyal employers and do not give up on you when your performance is weak. Lots of people get in and stay til they retire. It feels like a family.

ConsRed tape, beauracracy, administration. It's a 100+ year old phone company what do you expect. It can be very hard to advance. Since people tend to die in their jobs I've only seen one person promoted from my position in 4 years. Recently they have really, really cut back on support staff for sales so I spend all my time writing and following up on my own orders and doing repairs anything BUT selling.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive sales reps in the key space more support!! I am so busy in non-revenue producing administrative work I can't sell. I want to shoot myself. I found a $5K MRC opportunity in May, it's July and I just finally got time to do the proposal.

I enjoyed working at Qwest especially the position.

Account Consultant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe position I had as a Account Consultant was exciting and challanging. I liked the income scale.

ConsThere was a definate "Millionares Club" prevalant"

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

i had a great experience at Qwest and I learned a lot about the company and myself as a business person.

Mid Markets Analyst (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsIt is a great place to work for women. You can have a family and work. They have a great relaxed culture and are strong forces within the community and strongly believe in community service and giving back to the less fortunate. Qwest has great opportunities for fellowship and is a strong advocate for diversity.

ConsThere is not much room to move up within the company. They higher outsiders to bridge gaps. Also, Qwest is going through a merger and might not be a stable place to work until the merger is complete.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be more hands on with their employees and give them room for advancement.

OK place to work, but expect to be laid off at some point

Sales and Collections Consultant (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsPretty good bennifits. Qwest has good pay for the industry. Union enviornment so its nice when you have senority. Relaxed dress code. Loved the people I worked with for 7 years before lay-off.

ConsLots of old systems and changes with new system upgrades happen often and dont always make the final cut. Lots of upper management issues and lots of fights between union and management. Didnt feel like the customer was getting the best deal!

Advice to Senior ManagementChange is good but needs to be thought our better before done. Closing tons of customer service centers all the time really affects employee moral!

Ask Questions and Know What You're Getting Into

Network Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe benefit plan that includes medical, dental, vision and 401K.
    This is a large company with opportunities to cross into other departments and pick up new skills.

ConsThe management team is very clicky, either you’re in or you’re out. This environment results in poor promotion choices; people are put into position not based on their qualifications but rather on how close they are with senior management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a close look at your management team and work to build a culture of respect among and within the work groups.

Worked for Qwest? Contribute to the Community!