Rêv Worldwide Reviews

19 reviews filtered by
2.9
John Mitchell
1 Rating

Great outlook from where I sit

Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rêv Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have a nice mix of green-field product development, legacy maintenance, and internal development projects so there's always some enjoyable variety in what I'm up to day-to-day. Work-life balance is good for me, as 40-45ish hours a week is the norm. For some special cases (once or twice) I've worked longer hours but that was to deliver a demo for a very important source of business, which succeeded and was worth the effort in my mind.

I'm most familiar with the other members of our engineering team, but everyone in the company seems like they are capable and good folks to work with. Our engineering team is very solid and I have a lot of respect for our technical leadership. The other members of management are similarly capable and pleasant to work with.

Finally, the future of the company seems pretty solid with upcoming business and the management team has taken a significant effort to ensure that I will share in the firm's success when they didn't really have to, so I'm appreciative for that.

Cons

I don't really have much to complain about, other than we are in the process of improving processes and some internal delivery issues from years past. Still, I feel like that should be a continuous refinement practice so there's no getting away from this sort of business introspection and spending some time on administrative activities. It's more about instituting best-practices in every single aspect of what we do, which I personally appreciate.

There was some small measure of general internal chaos when I started and some significant turnover for a bit, but that was an issue at the beginning of my employment and since then things have been smooth. I feel like I need to be honest about what I saw when I started, but the things I would change have been changing for the better and are good now.

Advice to Management

Nothing here either, really. The future looks pretty good for the company's financial outlook and a solid pipeline of upcoming initiatives. As long as we are focused on delivery and follow-through, I can see only a huge amount of success ahead.

2. Engineering Department loves the worst of agile with the worst of waterfall

I worked at Rêv Worldwide

Pros

Very stable company, nice people.

Cons

Very bad engineering practices. Most engineers I talked to agreed there are better ways of doing things, it's just not how they did it. All code has to be reviewed by one of 3 people, which isn't terrible. The problem is it had to be done exactly their way, which is terrible.

Releases, every 6 months, were error prone, and developers would have to skip lunches and work long hours to fix release bugs.

The CTO specifically thinks his way is perfect and has no room for improvement. He has said this directly.

Advice to Management

Keep up to date with industry best practices. Some are fads, sure, but don't assume you can't improve at all.

Promising Start-up has turned itself around with new upper-management, offers great career opportunities and ownership

Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rêv Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great Senior Engineering Team
    -Great (New) Upper Management Team
    -Excellent Downtown Location on top floor of modern office building, with nice views.
    -Good benefits packages.
    -Many opportunities for career development and growth.
    -Opportunity for stock options / other incentives

Cons

-Financial Industry is heavily regulated, sometimes stunts progress on projects
    -Sometimes long hours are required during big push to finish up projects

5. Compelling vision hampered by stuttering leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Rêv Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The original vision of bringing financial access to underserved markets is compelling.

Cons

Unfortunately, underserved markets don't make much money, so the company focused on more profitable market segments like international travelers. With the social angle largely missing, the working experience really suffers, especially since the company's efforts were spread too thin to make a big dent on one project.

Could be a great company, if managed better

I have been working at Rêv Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Smart, talented co-workers. Just about everyone I've worked with at Rev has been really good. Everyone on my team pulls his/her weight and more.
     - Competitive pay
     - good location
     - not quite as much overtime as in previous IT jobs
     - good learning experience

Cons

- Late paychecks and unpaid insurance premiums are not acceptable
     - Not able to turn a profit, despite positive-sounding talk from the executive team
     - Business model seems very haphazard and poorly-prioritized. They've put lots of time and energy into programs that aren't bringing in that much revenue, at the expense of programs that have the potential to bring in a lot more money.
    - They seem to take on more work than can be done with the available resources
     - Deadlines are often unreasonable, causing Rev to either miss deadlines altogether or else release a product that is not as high in quality as it should be. Result is customer dissatisfaction, which in turn results in reduced revenue.
     - Multiple rounds of lay-offs and multiple re-orgs in the past two years. Really good people have been laid off.
     - Practically no training for new hires, resulting in a *very* steep learning curve.
     - Too many fees in programs that are supposed to help low-income people
     - There's talk of more impending lay-offs

Advice to Management

Instead of trying to drum up more business, focus on improving/maintaining existing programs. There are plenty of them. Have more reasonable deadlines and don't rush new programs out the door at the expense of quality. Cut or reduce development and support efforts for programs that are not generating much revenue. Understand that you have great staff and show appreciation for them.

Lack of vision and no motivation.

I worked at Rêv Worldwide full-time

Pros

Some folks with an aptitude do push forward. If you are entering in the job market, that might be an opportunity for you to gain a certain experience in the field and then look for something worth of you time and knowledge.

Cons

Company has no perspective whatsoever.
    -Management tries to persuade its employees with "great" future perspective, when it's all bogus.
    -Being a financial institution, the company lacks from its own capital to invest into the company itself thus also delaying payroll.
    -Some management and employees has no manners and lack personal hygiene which is intolerable.
    -There is neither challenge nor something that pushes you to succeed.

Advice to Management

Upper management and CEOs..You should definitely come down from your "higher" status and look at your company from its base and where it all started. There was and currently there are employees that deserve to be recognized for what they do. Walk around you company, and simply pick someone and take it to you office and ask them what do they think it could be changed, what could be added, what would make it empower its employees to come motivate to work and make it contagious to everyone around you. Another hint, you should watch undercover boss, it'll brighten up your ideas about it.

Good Colleagues, Mismanaged Company

I have been working at Rêv Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Colleagues: Most are talented, good people with whom it is a pleasure to work.

- Location: Great office in Central Austin, close to downtown and flagship Whole Foods.

- Mission: Rev's stated mission to empower the financially underserved is exciting...at first.

Cons

- Operations: Company is mismanaged and desperately in need of a COO. Reporting structures are unclear and priorities shift often. Although some of this is normal for a startup, the mismanagement here goes beyond that. Plus, Rev really can't be classified as a startup anymore.

- Financial Instability: The company's funding is uncertain, which sometimes results in employees not being paid on time. Vendor payment is chronically late. Funding sources are drying up as investors become increasingly aware of operational mismanagement.

- Low Morale & High Turnover: In the typical employee lifecycle, a new employee will be excited to join Rev, drawn by the prospect of empowering the underserved making a difference at an entrepreneurial organization. There will be problems, but the employee will believe senior management's claims that problems are caused by (a) the normal growing pains of a relatively young company and (b) other incompetent/disloyal employees. Then there will be a reorg and round of layoffs (it happens every 6 months or so), and management will promise that new partnerships and funding sources are just around the corner. By the end of the employee's first year, it becomes clear that the problems are systemic and nothing is going to change as long at senior management remains the same. Eventually, the employee will leave. Rev has lost some of its best people this way, which is very unfortunate.

Advice to Management

You are very strong in certain areas: visioning, business development, and PR. Focus on those things because you do them better than anyone else. But when it comes to operations and management, relinquish some control and delegate it to others whose strengths are in those areas.

9. A good opportunity

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rêv Worldwide full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are a startup with real, paying customers!

You get to work with smart, capable people from around the world.

People who excel have the opportunity to advance.

At the individual level they really are focussed on results.

Solutions are chosen based on long-term sustainability rather than short-term ease of implementation.

You can make an impact and be recognized outside your group.

Cons

The environment is 24/7 so you may occasionally work odd hours.

They are doing a lot with a little and the onus is on you to keep up with the pace.

Advice to Management

Time is precious so choose programs wisely and be sure they fit with the big picture.

People naturally want to help so keep communication channels as open as possible.

Great for the right person.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rêv Worldwide full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very bright coworkers. I've been impressed most every one I interact with.

Collaborative work environment. If you have opinions and ideas they will be heard. Management empowers those that care.

A good place to sharpen your skills and develop new capabilities. This comes at a cost. You have to get over the learning curve. A global payments business is complex - especially a young one.

Very little bureaucracy.

Cons

Management processes are extemporaneous, if you don't know how to properly manage up or manage yourself then it can be a stressful place to work. If you prefer a work environment that is more systematic I would recommend you look elsewhere. Entrepreneurs thrive.

You often have to wear many hats.

Advice to Management

Find more entrepreneurs and install them in every department. Develop those qualities in everyone else and don't invest in people that like heavy guidance.

11. Innovation in the heart of Texas

Current Employee - Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Rêv Worldwide full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pros are all about what you are looking for as an employee. For me - I wanted a face paced environment where I would be able to work on my own and work with others around the world. I also wanted to work with a start up that I could help grow and grow with. Finally, I wanted an entrepreneurial environment so that I could tackle new tasks out of my traditional work scope - learning more and becoming more knowledgable about business as a whole. Working at Rev has fit all of my needs and more.

Cons

Some may see the following as a con - long work hours and working weekends. Rev is a start up and that means 24/7 - but you have to remind yourself that you are a building block of a company. Your hard work is making the stronger and creating more value. When you see it that way the long hours and weekends are not really a con.

Advice to Management

The management from the top down is great. The are wise beyond their years and they offer a track record of success in a variety of fields. I am privileged to work with such a diverse and knowledgable management team. I ask that they keep communicating to us the goals and the vision of Rev.