Rêv Worldwide

Updated Mar 24, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Roy Sosa

Compelling vision hampered by stuttering leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThe original vision of bringing financial access to underserved markets is compelling.

ConsUnfortunately, underserved markets don't make much money, so the company focused on more profitable market segments like international travelers. With the social angle largely missing, the working experience really suffers, especially since the company's efforts were spread too thin to make a big dent on one project.

Worst Experience of My Life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

Pros- Met some pretty cool people.
    - Was interesting to work downtown.
    - Learned what not to do when I have my own company.

ConsWorst, deceiving leadership team I've ever worked with. They generally have no idea what they're doing nor how to treat people. Lost 2 years of my life at this place. Quitting was a great day.

Advice to Senior ManagementEspecially the Founders, stopping deceiving yourselves and other people just to make some money for yourselves and become 'stars'.

Could be a great company, if managed better

Pros- Smart, talented co-workers. Just about everyone I've worked with at Rev has been really good. Everyone on my team pulls his/her weight and more.
     - Competitive pay
     - good location
     - not quite as much overtime as in previous IT jobs
     - good learning experience

Cons- Late paychecks and unpaid insurance premiums are not acceptable
     - Not able to turn a profit, despite positive-sounding talk from the executive team
     - Business model seems very haphazard and poorly-prioritized. They've put lots of time and energy into programs that aren't bringing in that much revenue, at the expense of programs that have the potential to bring in a lot more money.
    - They seem to take on more work than can be done with the available resources
     - Deadlines are often unreasonable, causing Rev to either miss deadlines altogether or else release a product that is not as high in quality as it should be. Result is customer dissatisfaction, which in turn results in reduced revenue.
     - Multiple rounds of lay-offs and multiple re-orgs in the past two years. Really good people have been laid off.
     - Practically no training for new hires, resulting in a *very* steep learning curve.
     - Too many fees in programs that are supposed to help low-income people
     - There's talk of more impending lay-offs

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of trying to drum up more business, focus on improving/maintaining existing programs. There are plenty of them. Have more reasonable deadlines and don't rush new programs out the door at the expense of quality. Cut or reduce development and support efforts for programs that are not generating much revenue. Understand that you have great staff and show appreciation for them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lack of vision and no motivation.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsSome folks with an aptitude do push forward. If you are entering in the job market, that might be an opportunity for you to gain a certain experience in the field and then look for something worth of you time and knowledge.

ConsCompany has no perspective whatsoever.
    -Management tries to persuade its employees with "great" future perspective, when it's all bogus.
    -Being a financial institution, the company lacks from its own capital to invest into the company itself thus also delaying payroll.
    -Some management and employees has no manners and lack personal hygiene which is intolerable.
    -There is neither challenge nor something that pushes you to succeed.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management and CEOs..You should definitely come down from your "higher" status and look at your company from its base and where it all started. There was and currently there are employees that deserve to be recognized for what they do. Walk around you company, and simply pick someone and take it to you office and ask them what do they think it could be changed, what could be added, what would make it empower its employees to come motivate to work and make it contagious to everyone around you. Another hint, you should watch undercover boss, it'll brighten up your ideas about it.

Good Colleagues, Mismanaged Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros- Colleagues: Most are talented, good people with whom it is a pleasure to work.

- Location: Great office in Central Austin, close to downtown and flagship Whole Foods.

- Mission: Rev's stated mission to empower the financially underserved is exciting...at first.

Cons- Operations: Company is mismanaged and desperately in need of a COO. Reporting structures are unclear and priorities shift often. Although some of this is normal for a startup, the mismanagement here goes beyond that. Plus, Rev really can't be classified as a startup anymore.

- Financial Instability: The company's funding is uncertain, which sometimes results in employees not being paid on time. Vendor payment is chronically late. Funding sources are drying up as investors become increasingly aware of operational mismanagement.

- Low Morale & High Turnover: In the typical employee lifecycle, a new employee will be excited to join Rev, drawn by the prospect of empowering the underserved making a difference at an entrepreneurial organization. There will be problems, but the employee will believe senior management's claims that problems are caused by (a) the normal growing pains of a relatively young company and (b) other incompetent/disloyal employees. Then there will be a reorg and round of layoffs (it happens every 6 months or so), and management will promise that new partnerships and funding sources are just around the corner. By the end of the employee's first year, it becomes clear that the problems are systemic and nothing is going to change as long at senior management remains the same. Eventually, the employee will leave. Rev has lost some of its best people this way, which is very unfortunate.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are very strong in certain areas: visioning, business development, and PR. Focus on those things because you do them better than anyone else. But when it comes to operations and management, relinquish some control and delegate it to others whose strengths are in those areas.

A good opportunity

Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsThey are a startup with real, paying customers!

You get to work with smart, capable people from around the world.

People who excel have the opportunity to advance.

At the individual level they really are focussed on results.

Solutions are chosen based on long-term sustainability rather than short-term ease of implementation.

You can make an impact and be recognized outside your group.

ConsThe environment is 24/7 so you may occasionally work odd hours.

They are doing a lot with a little and the onus is on you to keep up with the pace.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime is precious so choose programs wisely and be sure they fit with the big picture.

People naturally want to help so keep communication channels as open as possible.

Great for the right person.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsVery bright coworkers. I've been impressed most every one I interact with.

Collaborative work environment. If you have opinions and ideas they will be heard. Management empowers those that care.

A good place to sharpen your skills and develop new capabilities. This comes at a cost. You have to get over the learning curve. A global payments business is complex - especially a young one.

Very little bureaucracy.

ConsManagement processes are extemporaneous, if you don't know how to properly manage up or manage yourself then it can be a stressful place to work. If you prefer a work environment that is more systematic I would recommend you look elsewhere. Entrepreneurs thrive.

You often have to wear many hats.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind more entrepreneurs and install them in every department. Develop those qualities in everyone else and don't invest in people that like heavy guidance.

Innovation in the heart of Texas

Director (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPros are all about what you are looking for as an employee. For me - I wanted a face paced environment where I would be able to work on my own and work with others around the world. I also wanted to work with a start up that I could help grow and grow with. Finally, I wanted an entrepreneurial environment so that I could tackle new tasks out of my traditional work scope - learning more and becoming more knowledgable about business as a whole. Working at Rev has fit all of my needs and more.

ConsSome may see the following as a con - long work hours and working weekends. Rev is a start up and that means 24/7 - but you have to remind yourself that you are a building block of a company. Your hard work is making the stronger and creating more value. When you see it that way the long hours and weekends are not really a con.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe management from the top down is great. The are wise beyond their years and they offer a track record of success in a variety of fields. I am privileged to work with such a diverse and knowledgable management team. I ask that they keep communicating to us the goals and the vision of Rev.

A Journey

Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsTalented and driven co-workers.
    Very little bureaucracy.
    Freedom to explore various career opportunities. If you are talented and hard working, you will be recognized and rewarded without having to be a brownnoser.
    Freedom to chart your own course.
    Many projects involve global markets and, thus, present unique life experience .
    You are as good as you want to be. In many projects, the stake holders are expected to do the analysis, planning and research. They are discouraged from simply taking orders from their manager.
    The company went through a brief but rough period and many people, some of them extremely talented, were not ready for the bumpy adventure and decided to leave. Today, the company consists of people who are dedicated and are willing to take risk...and they want to be here.
    Advice to potential employees. Success is not whether you draw a steady stream of paychecks or your title. It is when you look back in five years you are proud of your achievements.

ConsIt is in every way a startup: there are instabilities and people have to adapt to unexpected challenges and work. This company is not for everyone. If you are competent but expect a regular 9 to 5 schedule, this company is not a good fit.
    During the bumpy ride period, the company should've managed the process in a more orderly fashion. I hope the management team has taken the time to reflect on the experience and learn from the mistakes as well as the positive measures taken.
    You are expected to be on your own. It is a sink-or-swim environment and it may turn new employees off if they are not mentally prepared.
    It takes some time to get use to the somewhat chaotic nature of the environment. The company at some point needs to invest upfront in training its new employees through mentorship.
    It is a 24x7 company. At times, it can be exhausting and unnerving and subsequently contributes to inter-deparmental tension.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus. There are too many ambitious projects. There are many concrete projects in the pipeline to propel the company into a big success. We don't need to take on any more speculative deals.

Great experience

Program Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

Pros- Great talent: This is a technology company with very smart and skilled engineers.
    - Great experience: I have learned a lot while at Rev.
    - Mission driven: We work on stuff that actually delivers social impact.
    - International reach: Our work touches folks in over 10 countries across multiple continents. Our partners are some of the largest companies in the world.
    - Small groups: We don't get buried in large scale bureaucracy. There is an immediate output to our work. All employees have access, and work side by side with top management.

Cons- Steep learning curve: If you are looking for a 1-2 month initial training program you will be disappointed. Industry context is a requirement for success. Those without the skills, or experience end up being a drag on the team both from a performance and culture perspective.
    - Hard work--really. Business doubled from last year and seems like it will do so again. Hiring is not keeping up with that growth rate.
    - Fast pace. The product release cycles are extremely aggressive.
    - Global reach also means we need to support product across 24 time zones.

Advice to Senior Management- Figure out a way to reduce the learning curve or slow down the pace. More formal training?
    - Thank you for raising the bar and eliminating positions that attracted folks that were not committed, or contributed to our efforts.

Worked for Rêv Worldwide? Contribute to the Community!