R.A. Malatest & Associates

Updated September 12, 2014
Updated September 12, 2014
3.3

CEO

Okay for a university student

Current Employee - Surveyor  in  Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Surveyor in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at R.A. Malatest & Associates part-time for more than a year

Pros

VERY flexible schedule: you can work as many or as little hours as you want in a week.
    The pay is alright
    Nice colleagues
    EXCELLENT option for a student (works very well with school schedule)

Cons

Cut-back during seasons with no projects
    Limited possibility of personal/professional growth
    Gets boring after you keep working on the same project

Improve benefits and break hours

It was probably the most pleasant and certainly one of the most reward tele"marketing" jobs I've ever had.

Former Employee - Telephone Surveyor  in  Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Telephone Surveyor in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at R.A. Malatest & Associates part-time for less than a year

Pros

The environment was busy but supportive.

Cons

At the time, the headsets were cumbersome and made dialing difficult.

I know that layoffs are inevitable, given the client list "seasons," but it does help to keep laid-off but interested employees in the loop, not just in terms of coming back. Note: the question below has an incorrect answer: I worked for RH Malatest from January to July of 2009.

Decent job, good environment

Former Employee - Telephone Surveyor  in  Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Telephone Surveyor in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at R.A. Malatest & Associates as a contractor

Pros

It's contract work, so the hours are very flexible. The pay is decent for the work that is being performed, and supervisors are very helpful in giving out constructive criticism.

Cons

Hours are given out on a project-to-project basis, so it was difficult to know whether or not work would be available ahead of time.

I don't really have issues with the management - maybe avoid multiple supervisors monitoring the same person within a certain time frame to spare employees from feeling like they're being micromanaged.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent opportunity to learn about and be exposed to research and evaluation.

Current Employee - Research Analyst  in  Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at R.A. Malatest & Associates full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for professional growth, once foot is the door.

Cons

Limited opportunities for real career advancement.

Well educated research professionals deserve a working environment and corporate approach commensurable to their backgrounds.

Do not work for Malatest, you make almost nothing after you pay for your expenses yourself

I worked at R.A. Malatest & Associates full-time

Pros

There are no pros to working at Malatest except to say that you are employed. You are better off to keep looking for something better

Cons

RA Malatest are misleading and dishonest about how you will be reimbursed for your travels during the survey and for training. They say training is fully paid and they had the training location a 130 kilometer round trip from the city they hired me for and others travelled much further with 6 hours of travel round trip. When we got there we were told that they did not pay for mileage to training or parking, but they would pay us an hourly wage for 2 hours for the training. This didn't even cover the gas we had used, the parking, our lunch, or the wear and tear on our vehicles. We had also been mislead to believe that we would get 52 cents per kilometer for the first 150 kilometers daily once we started doing the survey, but this was also wrong, we would only get 52 cents a kilometer for the first 150 kilometers of the entire survey and we would go through that on the first day. After that for the next month we would get only 17 cents a kilometer, no parking reimbursements, no food allowance, and even if I packed a lunch I was looking at paying out about $25/day out of my own pocket that I would never be reimbursed for and that I would have to cover paying out over $45/day until my first full paycheck in 3 weeks. They were going to survey towns outside of my city for the first 2 to 3 weeks until they did my city that they hired me for which meant I had to pay for a half tank of gas or more every day for that time. The electronic survey program did not work and they didn't have enough ipads for everyone. They forced me to sign an auto deposit that also asked for the right to do withdrawals from your account. If I wasn't willing to sign it, they would not hire me. I phoned and emailed to ask about this and even though I was told I would be sent an email reply if I wasn't phoned back neither happened. When I asked about this, they said they would resend the email again, and I again never received it. I find this company highly unprofessional.

Malatest needs to be more professional and also to be much more fair to its employees.

Worked for R.A. Malatest & Associates? Contribute to the Community!