R.A. Malatest & Associates Reviews

3.5
CEO

1. Interviewer

I worked at R.A. Malatest & Associates

Pros

The staff are great to work with, if you are on time and do your work it is your basic job. You have flexibility to work as much as you want or as little (although they don't really like that). A good job to get yourself busy

Cons

The breaks are short, the pay isnt great but it is what it is.

My experience with this company was fair.

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at R.A. Malatest & Associates as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Most of my colleagues we friendly, the office was convenient.

Cons

Working conditions were very strict. Cronyism was noticeable, wage reviews were non existent.

Advice to Management

Supervisors need to be less uptight.

My experience with this company has been very good so far. A very efficient and conscientious group.

Current Contractor - Telephone Surveyor in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Current Contractor - Telephone Surveyor in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at R.A. Malatest & Associates as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I liked the flexibility of scheduling.

Cons

Contract work is short term.

Great office environment, although work can get tiresome and repetitive.

I worked at R.A. Malatest & Associates part-time

Pros

great work culture learn about policies, businesses, government etc

Cons

the pay is not great mostly depending on the project you're working on, the actual job task can be mind numbing and repetitive if you work on the call centre side

Okay for a university student

Current Employee - Surveyor in Ottawa, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Surveyor in Ottawa, ON (Canada)

I have been working at R.A. Malatest & Associates part-time (More than a year)

Pros

VERY flexible schedule: you can work as many or as little hours as you want in a week. The pay is alright Nice colleagues EXCELLENT option for a student (works very well with school schedule)

Cons

Cut-back during seasons with no projects Limited possibility of personal/professional growth Gets boring after you keep working on the same project

Advice to Management

Improve benefits and break hours

It was probably the most pleasant and certainly one of the most reward tele"marketing" jobs I've ever had.

Former Employee - Telephone Surveyor in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Telephone Surveyor in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at R.A. Malatest & Associates part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment was busy but supportive.

Cons

At the time, the headsets were cumbersome and made dialing difficult.

Advice to Management

I know that layoffs are inevitable, given the client list "seasons," but it does help to keep laid-off but interested employees in the loop, not just in terms of coming back. Note: the question below has an incorrect answer: I worked for RH Malatest from January to July of 2009.

Decent job, good environment

Former Contractor - Telephone Surveyor in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Former Contractor - Telephone Surveyor in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I worked at R.A. Malatest & Associates as a contractor

Pros

It's contract work, so the hours are very flexible. The pay is decent for the work that is being performed, and supervisors are very helpful in giving out constructive criticism.

Cons

Hours are given out on a project-to-project basis, so it was difficult to know whether or not work would be available ahead of time.

Advice to Management

I don't really have issues with the management - maybe avoid multiple supervisors monitoring the same person within a certain time frame to spare employees from feeling like they're being micromanaged.

Excellent opportunity to learn about and be exposed to research and evaluation.

Current Employee - Research Analyst in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Research Analyst in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at R.A. Malatest & Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities for professional growth, once foot is the door.

Cons

Limited opportunities for real career advancement.

Advice to Management

Well educated research professionals deserve a working environment and corporate approach commensurable to their backgrounds.

Do not work for Malatest, you make almost nothing after you pay for your expenses yourself

I worked at R.A. Malatest & Associates full-time

Pros

There are no pros to working at Malatest except to say that you are employed. You are better off to keep looking for something better

Cons

RA Malatest are misleading and dishonest about how you will be reimbursed for your travels during the survey and for training. They say training is fully paid and they had the training location a 130 kilometer round trip from the city they hired me for and others travelled much further with 6 hours of travel round trip. When we got there we were told that they did not pay for mileage to training or parking, but they would pay us an hourly wage for 2 hours for the training. This didn't even cover the gas we had used, the parking, our lunch, or the wear and tear on our vehicles. We had also been mislead to believe that we would get 52 cents per kilometer for the first 150 kilometers daily once we started doing the survey, but this was also wrong, we would only get 52 cents a kilometer for the first 150 kilometers of the entire survey and we would go through that on the first day. After that for the next month we would get only 17 cents a kilometer, no parking reimbursements, no food allowance, and even if I packed a lunch I was looking at paying out about $25/day out of my own pocket that I would never be reimbursed for and that I would have to cover paying out over $45/day until my first full paycheck in 3 weeks. They were going to survey towns outside of my city for the first 2 to 3 weeks until they did my city that they hired me for which meant I had to pay for a half tank of gas or more every day for that time. The electronic survey program did not work and they didn't have enough ipads for everyone. They forced me to sign an auto deposit that also asked for the right to do withdrawals from your account. If I wasn't willing to sign it, they would not hire me. I phoned and emailed to ask about this and even though I was told I would be sent an email reply if I wasn't phoned back neither happened. When I asked about this, they said they would resend the email again, and I again never received it. I find this company highly unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Malatest needs to be more professional and also to be much more fair to its employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed