R/GA Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
3.9

R/GA Founder, Chairman, and CEO Bob Greenberg
Bob Greenberg

Pros
  • Awesome, smart people and great projects if you're prepared to work hard (in 17 reviews)

• There are some fairly talented people at R/GA, they have some great clients and their name will look pretty good on your CV (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Production can be weak with clients, work / life balance needs improving (in 11 reviews)

• Some weeks you have to work extremely long hours (in 14 reviews)

More Highlights

Digitas West

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at R/GA full-time

Pros

You will still find smart people to work and laugh with while you work on boring accounts.

Cons

If you really want to work at Digitas but don't want to leave the west side, then come to R/GA. It's being remade as Digitas West. Maybe Publicis will buy Interpublic and the transformation will be complete.
    Creative isn't as creative as it used to be, but it's probably being stifled by the accounts the agency has taken on. The brilliant, but quirky creatives that gave R/GA the reputation that still lingers, are a thing of the past.
    The company shows no loyalty to the people that helped build it. Creativity can't thrive in the current atmosphere.

Great people

Former Employee - Visual Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Visual Designer in New York, NY

I worked at R/GA full-time

Pros

- looks great on your resume
    - great leadership
    - best in class when it comes to digital
    - you'll learn a lot

Cons

- very few accounts are fun and creative to work on
    - it's getting bigger and bigger by the year

Top talent, great culture, work satisfaction depending on which account you were on

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at R/GA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great talent, everyone was focused on the work, not corporate environment, some sexy work if you were on the right team.

Cons

Big divide between creative and producers/account and creative often won. Hired too fast bringing on traditional agency talent that didnt understand digital and would flex creative muscle at the expense of good UI/UX. Company so big, it's hard to stand out and get recognized for your work. Performance review was weird.

Need to figure out a structure or way that staff didn't feel lost in the shuffle.

No longer very creative and too many politics

Former Employee - Senior Visual Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Visual Designer in New York, NY

I worked at R/GA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some nice, smart people, many of whom are undervalued. Good pay.

Cons

Run by a bunch of people with big titles who have no idea what's really going on and just go by hear-say. The company is so big, it's impossible to get anything done quickly. Lots of processes that are plain stupid and created by someone who obviously isn't very involved on a day-to-day basis. If you are good at talking up yourself, then you will fit right in here. For those who just want to get on with the work, there are other companies doing better, more creative work. Lots of fake people who are ready to stab you in the back if it means saving their own job.

Too top heavy. So many 'thought leaders' - not sure what they're actually doing. It's not ok to have only worked at this company all your life and think there is only 1 way to do things. Stop having so many meetings about having more meetings. Try to actually care about people instead of pretending to.

Great people and great vibe

I have been working at R/GA

Pros

nice people, good atmosphere, good work ethic

Cons

work not as exciting as expected. but still good overall

Working here is great

Current Employee - Junior Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Junior Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at R/GA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This place is fantastic. The expectations are realistic, the benefits are great, and the work is fun.

Cons

Like everyone seems to be saying, management isn't the best.

R/GA is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New York, NY

I have been working at R/GA (more than an year)

Pros

It's a really big company, there's a lot of opportunity for career advancement. Big name clients. If you want to be a super star you can, if you just want to do great work and go home at the end of the day you can.

Cons

There's a lot of talent, so there'a a lot of competition for the good work, and when you get it you have to impress. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but there can be pressure if you take it on.

Unrivaled

Current Employee - Associate Planning Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate Planning Director in New York, NY

I have been working at R/GA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

smart people, innovative thinking, flat hierarchy

Cons

at times too many cooks in the kitchen

Lots of professionals doing a good job.

I worked at R/GA as a contractor

Pros

Many varied projects for technologists, with an opportunity to use cutting edge tools.

Cons

Frequent employee churn makes building meaningful relationships and products difficult.

Listen to your technologists! They know what they're talking about.

Not sure where your 4-5 stars are coming from

Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I worked at R/GA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They have some talented people

Cons

The big agency bug has bit this place, hard. Every day is another struggle to keep the boat afloat. Turnover is at a record high, morale is lower than ever before. And the politics, subtle racism/sexism, on top of everything else is making this place one of the worst working environments i've ever experienced.

R/GA, you need to go back to your roots. Which means putting all your creatives in one room to execute and share ideas like you used to. Which means focusing on making your creative department stronger as a unit, and not as animals/peons from your producers. It needs to be clear that the best creative wins business, and therefore generates the revenue that seeds into other sources. Production is important, too.. don't get me wrong. But somewhere along the way, you lost that identity for being a kickass shop for both.

Instead, you have "idea guys" who huddle in a corner and take all the interesting projects, while the people who aren't in that group are left to finish up their work. You need to tell "art directors who are the idea guys only" to buzz off, because they are adding a toxic, systematic destruction to the creative excellence you used to be known for.

It's funny, I read these PR buffs about what this culture is, and what values are in this system. And I really do have to laugh, because it's so out of touch with what's going on on the ground level that you have to wonder if we're all working at the same agency. I used to drink the kool aid when I first got here, but now i'm jaded.

I have nothing else to say other than the fact that I always did my job, applied high standards, but that still wasn't enough to stymie the brutal politics, machiavellian/egotistical dimwits that are only along the ride for agency brand equity/operate under the guise of calling themselves "art directors".

Someone once told me that R/GA was the perfect place to work 5 years ago. And then the said person left because things just aren't the same anymore. And he advised me to do the same. I made the jump and became a happier person for it. Caveat emptor.

Stop coming up with half baked solutions for very obvious problems. The fact that you guys are too paralyzed to problem solve what's actually wrong with this place is not confidence-inducing at all.

R/GA Photos