R.H. Donnelley

Updated September 9, 2014
2.7

R.H. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Alfred T. Mockett
Alfred T. Mockett

R.H. Donnelley was a pleasant place to work.

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Bristol, VA
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Bristol, VA

I worked at R.H. Donnelley as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is super nice, and you can work at your own pace.

Cons

There was a bit of a learning curve with the company software.

Great place to work with forward thinking leadership

Current Employee - District Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - District Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at R.H. Donnelley

Pros

Proactive and growth oriented leadership drives our business to offer cutting edge products and services. Compensation is commiserate with drive and ambition. This com
    Any offers the strongest new hire training I have ever experienced.

Cons

Our IT department has been outsourced to India. Our graphic artists are now mainly based in the Phillipines. Communication barriers affect level of productivity in dealing with both departments.

Bring back the graphic artists. They are the creators of our products, and we cannot afford to have an inferior product in this day and age.

excellent experience and company

Former Employee - Internet Market Specialist in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Internet Market Specialist in Cary, NC

I worked at R.H. Donnelley full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They do a very good job of motivating employees to be their best. They give you the freedom to succeed.

Cons

Company waste money and hence filed for bankruptcy.

This was a good company entering 2008 and 2009 before economy collapse

Former Employee - Operations in Overland Park, KS
    Former Employee - Operations in Overland Park, KS

I worked at R.H. Donnelley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Dealing with small to mid size business owners and satisfying needs of business owners enabling them to gain clients by buying advertising from us. Company was trying to lead the effort to consolidate industry of Yellow Page providers.

Cons

The 2008 and 2009 economic conditions in US and other factors resulted in nearly 20% loss of revenue, negatively impacting the ability of the company to repay debt assumed as part of the acquisition and consolidation strategy.

For any company - always forecast the widest ranges of scenarios to determine if the "worst case scenario" does occur, how would you operate if those scenarios occurred.

Positive experience

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at R.H. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership; very talented employees

Cons

No cons beyond the challenges one typically experiences in a large, public company.

Continue staying in touch with front-line employees and middle managers - it's
    great for the culture!

One of my favorite Careers and Businesses to have had the pleasure of working for!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

I have been working at R.H. Donnelley full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent Training and Base Pay Increase while going through two months of very informative and useful information that will stay with you and help you with any career down the road.
    Great Teamworking help even though you are only resposible for yourself, everyone there is friendly and always willing to help you grow and become better. As long as your serious and motivated with a proven track record you only have to "show face" twice a week. Ultimate Road Warrior B2B Account Executive Role, Company provided you will all office material supplies, unlimeted printing and resources out of office that you could access and work 24/7. Company provided Laptop with wifi card, in 2008 & 2009 you recieved $700/mo car allowance and $100/mo Cell Phone Allowance. Your cell phone was on your business card, best idea is to add a line to your current cellular account for $10/mo and increase your minutes and share between two numbers - one soley for work where you can store all sorts of sales and reminder notes. Facinating learning all about different businesses and industries and seeing how owners light up when you ask them about how they started their business and why and just generally why they love it so.

Cons

Even though I asked numerous times how to check that I was being properly paid the correct dollar amount on commisions with all the different levels and tiers and changing percentages I was never shown how and I had to go on good faith that I was properly paid all commissions. My last month there I closed a lot of accounts and it was a month before the clothes of the quarter sales cycle with a lot of my accounts not just renewing, but increasing - Yet A month later I got the letter of R.H. Donnelley Filling Bankruptcy and then a month after that when the quarter ended and commissions were paid I got a check for $24. With no way of showing that it was wrong and knowing how to calculate my own commissions so that I could have had a general range in mind for that check. I can tell you there is no way on earth it was $24 - no way.
    Sometimes they can give you territories that are very far from where they know you live which can be very costly and time consuming. I lived almost in wisconsin and the base office was in Arlington Heights, yet I had territories in Algonquin-Crystal Lake-West Dundee-Deer Park- My Closest territoty was Waukegan and 20 miles from my home, but it was also a horrible territory with a mojority of my reccurring customers all out of business at that time. I think one of the things I least liked about working for DeX was out of your 75 current accounts to renew/upgrade in the 3 months that you had to close, plus prospect and add new businesses, but you had to handle collections for the businesses that were in your territory. If you couldn't get them current before the close of the quarter then they couldn't renew and whatever they had before and maybe weren't paying for 6 month would count against you as a loss and most of the time it was considerable. The worst was that businesses that went out of business within that year contract with Dex and literly had no store front or filed BK were still counted against you and your total % of closed accounts and Dollars

Try and assign outside territories closer to reps home base, dont add collections to a reps responsabilites and if those accounts aren't brought current or renewed don't penalize the new rep who never sold it to them in the first place. If your going to make reps resposible for collections then don't have the reps territory change each year and make the rep who sold the contract to the said customer responsible for getting them current. After all that rep was the one who made the commission of the sale, not the new rep. Additionally don't let businesses that go out of business affect your percentages or dollars for the quarter. It simply is out of the reps control that a business in their territory has been out of business for months or hasn't paid in months and are struggling to stay in business to be the reps responsability and that they should put in their time and effort try to collect on accounts that may come current but obviously know they cant afford to commit for another year. Out of all the excellet computer programs you have for training and resources and research I hope that by now you have created a program for your reps that will calculate their expected commissions and a way for the reps to check and confirm that accounts were closed properly and that they were paid as promised. I hope you are still doing the excellent training and the outstanding base pay with car and phone allowance because it was exstremely helpful and appreciated.

Company going thru so many changes/unexpected layoffs

Current Employee - Collections in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Collections in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at R.H. Donnelley

Pros

The hourly pay is good. Don't feel micro-managed. Able to take off with no questions asked should something come up unexpectedly, such as car repairs, child's illness or some other emergency.

Cons

Bonus based on number of dollars collected, however the distribution of accounts are system generated. Some are at an advantage because the balances that are being collected on are higher so they stand a better chance of collecting a monthly bonus.

This is very rare. Usually dead end.

Great place to get the recognition you need for your next career jump

Former Employee - Sales Executive
    Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at R.H. Donnelley

Pros

You can make good money..sometimes great... definitely above the norm for this type/level of job, Great Sales training program, they are known for hiring good people/good reps come out of there. Wonderful Benefits, Social and rewarding company

Cons

Management is typically "yes" boys, or people that weren't the best sales reps so they moved/were moved into management. Out of all advertising sales this is the least exciting (but the best paying)...you get beat up quite a bit from your customers. A lot of unethical reps out there, dont always believe that the reps/company are doing whats in the best interest of the advertisers.

GET BETTER MANAGERS!!! People that can truly motivate/lead and lend some experience/advice to the reps vs. people who are not qualified and are so desperate to be KNOWN as a "manager" or a "leader" that they are too busy preaching to themselves and marching up their own bottoms to notice nobody is following! Less conversation, more action.

2014 resume

Current Employee - Sales in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Sales in Orlando, FL

I have been working at R.H. Donnelley full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Potential income,
    Promotions,
    Self managed,
    People, great team
    Great management

Cons

Old Technology

n/a

Good people, bad market and company structure

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Cary, NC

I worked at R.H. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay and Benefits
    The finance group had a lot of talent at the management level that were good leaders.
    They Kept spending for employee morale (parties etc) even in the face of bankruptcy.

Cons

The company has already declared bankruptcy and merged with Supermedia, I will be suprised if that lasts.
    Yellow pages are dead and Dex Media has no viable product to compete long term.
    Inflated titles - everyone was a senior manager rather than a manager, senior accountants but no staff accountants etc.

Hope for the best.