R.H. Donnelley Reviews

Updated September 9, 2014
2.7

R.H. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Alfred T. Mockett
Alfred T. Mockett

Great place to work with forward thinking leadership

Current Employee - District Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - District Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at R.H. Donnelley

Pros

Proactive and growth oriented leadership drives our business to offer cutting edge products and services. Compensation is commiserate with drive and ambition. This com
    Any offers the strongest new hire training I have ever experienced.

Cons

Our IT department has been outsourced to India. Our graphic artists are now mainly based in the Phillipines. Communication barriers affect level of productivity in dealing with both departments.

Bring back the graphic artists. They are the creators of our products, and we cannot afford to have an inferior product in this day and age.

I did well, despite management.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tucson, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Tucson, AZ

I worked at R.H. Donnelley

Pros

Fair benefits package. Decent vacation and pto time. Fellow employees are good people.

Cons

Micro management. Managers have less experience in sales than sales team and no management skills. Upper management targets employees they don't like until they quit. Lack of support staff and who they do have are overworked.

Sales is a tough job, management needs to support and encourage employees. If you care about your employees they will care about your company and do well. It's that simple

Good, Solid Starting Sales Position

Former Employee - Account Manager in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Arlington Heights, Cook, IL

I worked at R.H. Donnelley

Pros

If you work at it you will be successful.
    The people that you work with are all excellent. Everyone gets along well.
    They have a very good sales training program if you have not been in sales before. If you have, you will find it a bit remedial, but you will be prepared to sell your products if you fully participate.
    Advancement is usually by performance.
    If you are average you will not have to worry about your job.
    Great springboard into other sales careers. If you can sell this, you can sell anything.

Cons

Yellow Pages is a Dying industry
    The internet programs that are sold are now behind the rest of their competitors.
    The comp plan keeps going down, down. You will work harder for less money.
    The new micro-management platform is awful and stifling.
    If you are a performer, management will do everything possible to keep you in sales and out of management.

Advance your systems. Stop trying to feed the sales force information that just isn't true. We all know that yellow pages are dying.
    Do something to build back the trust of your customers.

Company going thru so many changes/unexpected layoffs

Current Employee - Collections in Overland Park, KS
    Current Employee - Collections in Overland Park, KS

I have been working at R.H. Donnelley

Pros

The hourly pay is good. Don't feel micro-managed. Able to take off with no questions asked should something come up unexpectedly, such as car repairs, child's illness or some other emergency.

Cons

Bonus based on number of dollars collected, however the distribution of accounts are system generated. Some are at an advantage because the balances that are being collected on are higher so they stand a better chance of collecting a monthly bonus.

This is very rare. Usually dead end.

Account Executive

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at R.H. Donnelley

Pros

This company offers great earning potential. You can earn over $100k with some hard work. Lots of recognition if you are a top performer. Nice incentives and bonus opportunities. Great company trips.

Cons

No respect for employees. You are truely judged by your numbers alone. The company is insensitive to the economy or any other factors that are out of your control. Sales reps are held accountable for customers who are delinquent due to financial hardships. Management expects you to collect money from customer by any means necessary. The atmosphere is very tense and you always feel insecure as if you could lose your job at any time. Even senior reps have no security and always feel on edge. Finally, there is a lot of nepotism.

Treat your employees with sincerety and concern. Not like a machine where you are only interested in what they can produce. I believe reps will work harder if they know management is "in the trenches" with them .

Glorified Data Entry Job

Former Employee - Digital Editorial Coordinator in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Digital Editorial Coordinator in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at R.H. Donnelley

Pros

A job is better than no job in a down economy. Its indoors, and they don't physically beat employees. Pay is so-so.

Cons

Bad management. The company is a dinosaur, and unwilling to look to the future, is on its way out of business.

Stop spending billions on antiquated Yellow Pages Products. Your search product is a joke. Nobody buys that its a better alternative to google for local search. Know why...? because we all use google and experience tells us this is not the case!

Management gets in the way and very distrustful

Current Employee - Account Executive/Marketing Consultant in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Account Executive/Marketing Consultant in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at R.H. Donnelley

Pros

Best reason to work for R.H. Donnelley...or Dex...or Dex One...or whatever our name is next month is the 7-week sales training you recieve (top-notch) and the sales experience you recieve while on the job. The new commission structure is a big improvement. Depending on your manager, the job can be fun and rewarding if you're up for the challenge.

Cons

-The TOP REPS continuously quit due to micro-management or are terminated for minor issues (very bizarre for a "sales" organization

-Management and HR too closely knit (dispute resolution non-existent)

-Managers more focused on your whereabouts than on results...consistently calling you on cell throughout the day asking for updates and the very popular "WHERE ARE YOU?" Very weird considering they have our daily apppt schedules. Managers must definately be going stir-crazy in their offices, paranoid that their reps are sitting at the pool drinking mai-tai's. This is of course impossible considering the workload of closing 100+ accounts in a matter of months and the fact that WE WANT TO MAKE MONEY, which you can't do if you're not making new sales.

-Office vibe and the sales meetings are right out of the "Twilight Zone"

-Being successful at outside sales is a skill with a lot of creativity involved, their looking for robots who can set appts, not professionals who can sell

-Everyone always wondering why the top reps are always leaving company without having other job lined up in a horrible economy while they were making great money here. Something very strange going on behind the scenes.

Get message to division sales managers to lay off the outside sales reps and let us do what we were hired to do...SELL! Get off our backs and get a grip! Too much negativity and micro-management. Not enough positive leadership.

Decent entry level job but far from a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at R.H. Donnelley

Pros

They have a great training program which prepares you for better positions elsewhere. Furthermore, the name looks GREAT on your resume! Due to the company's stellar reputation working there definitely opens lots of doors for better sales careers in the future. If your fresh out of college or looking to gain B2B sales experience from a good compnay I'd suggest you work there, get in two years of experience and find a position with a more career oriented company that pays a high base salry and competitive commissions. Aside from that the benefits are above average!

Cons

the pay is just ok. It's also extremely hard to get promoted even when you have great numbers. They promote based on popularity.

stop promoting based on popularity and promote based on job performance.

Donnelley steers a sinking ship slowly toward irrelevance.

Former Employee - Product Manager in Cary, NC
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Cary, NC

I worked at R.H. Donnelley

Pros

Above average compensation. Bathrooms are nice.

Cons

Senior management doesn't have many answers to a rapidly declining customer base.

Streamline company into a much smaller but more agile (and profitable) internet search outfit.

Very rapid decline

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at R.H. Donnelley

Pros

Pay check, super coworkers. A once great company known as Dex, USWEST & Qwest.
    R H Donnelley was a small company when they bought Dex. Then everything changed.

Cons

Micro managed 24/7. Company stock has gone from $80 to less than .01 in 3 years. Customers & employees treated very poorly. Product quality way down due to policies, job cuts & outsourcing. Losing valuable customers & employees due to corporate culture

I think it's probably too late, In 3+ years you have managed to ruin all the good things we previously stood for: Quality products, great customer service, happy employees & customers. Survey after survey we have told you these things, but no one is listening.