R.J. O'Brien

Updated Jan 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Gerry Corcoran

Very educational rotational internship experience

Intern (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at R.J. O'Brien as an intern for less than a year

ProsManagement is accessible and helpful. Given significant responsibilities as an intern.

ConsCompany reach is relatively narrow. No real opportunities to earn full time employment through internship program. Little to no formal feedback.

By far the most frustrating career experience

I worked at R.J. O'Brien full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIf you are accepted into the 'family' as a follower you will be golden and protected. A lot of intelligent and friendly people

ConsStubborn and inexperienced leadership in advancement opportunities. The firm culture is stuck in the past with no sense of urgency to accomplish initiatives. If you are enthusiastic and assertive ..don't apply here. You will be perceived as aggressive thus a threat.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut someone new in the driver seat and get it in gear.

Useless management that have pet subordinates

Chicago, IL

I have been working at R.J. O'Brien full-time for more than a year

ProsSome of the people are great to work with, very helpful and friendly.

ConsSome of the people are notoriously lazy, suck up to management to get ahead and management approves of this behavior. All employees at same level are not treated equally, management plays favorites. HR complaints about management do not result in any action except resulting in getting fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the complaints of employees and take action against management who abuse their authority, it might help in not getting sued so much by ex employees.

A country club

I worked at R.J. O'Brien

ProsIf they like you, you're set for life.

ConsYou have to sell your soul to have them like you.

Temp

Chicago, IL

I have been working at R.J. O'Brien for less than a year

Prosgood atmosphere, good leadership, great learning opportunity

ConsI have no complaints here.

A solid company with good values

Developer (Current Employee)

I have been working at R.J. O'Brien full-time for more than 3 years

ProsRJO is a well-run company overall, and values its employees. The company is stable, especially given the current state of a lot of companies in the trading space. Bureaucracy does not usually interfere with business due to the relatively small size of the company, and the fact that timing is key in trading.

ConsThere are no real advancement opportunities within the company unless you are already in mid-to-upper management. For this reason some employees feel obligated to leave the company in order to advance their careers.

Tightly knit company with an open minded workforce.

Credit Analyst (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at R.J. O'Brien full-time for less than a year

ProsHaving coworkers help each other across departments, hard working employees, great place for people to take the reigns if they wish to move up and forward and educated management.

ConsCompensation is on the lower end of the industry, coworkers from other companies often complain about this. Benefits are decent, but could always be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue working hard and providing more opportunities for employees to shine. We want to make this company better just as much as you do!

Disappointed.

I worked at R.J. O'Brien full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood employees, nice people to work with that are always willing to pitch in and get the job done. A lot of space and a pleasant environment.

ConsLow pay. Benefits are decent but cost is ridiculously high. Don't expect much upward mobility unless you are a friend or family member.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out a way to end the cycle of laying people off when it is slow and hiring when it is busy. Find a balance somewhere in between.

Not a bad place to work

I have been working at R.J. O'Brien

ProsGood entry level positions on the floor of the CBOT to learn the business

Conssome co-workers complain too much.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy manager is the nicest guy in the world. Great person to work for.

Runner position on the CME Group trading floor.

Runner (Former Employee)

I worked at R.J. O'Brien

ProsLarge trading floor presence and many opportunities to learn your way around the CME Group's futures pits. The runner position at times requires working well at a fast-pace and is good experience for future employers and jobs.

ConsIt is very easy to get stuck as a runner as there are extremely limited opportunities for advancement within the company from this position. This is probably more the nature of the job than a fault of RJO and the runner position in general will give you almost no exposure to actual financial decision making.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo complaints or advice – the runner position is well managed.

Worked for R.J. O'Brien? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at R.J. O'Brien reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for R.J. O'Brien CEO Gerry Corcoran. All 13 reviews posted anonymously by R.J. O'Brien employees.