R+L Carriers

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014
2.3

Ralph Larry Roberts, Sr

Pros
  • Decent pay, vacation spots they own free of charge to use, Sundays off (in 4 reviews)

• Pay and some decent benefits, having the employee resorts is a plus when you get the opportunity to use them and you're off on weekends (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • No respect for employees whatsoever, they will write you up in a heartbeat but yet will never give you praise for a job well done (in 4 reviews)

• Terminal Manager could of cared less about security (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Work Hard and Good Money and Overall Good Company

Former Employee - P&D Driver in Neenah, WI
    Former Employee - P&D Driver in Neenah, WI

I worked at R+L Carriers full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Hired as a driver and started at a pretty good hourly wage. Then increased over time to over $25 per hour. If you show up and do your work things go reasonably well. When the system works, it is a pretty good, pretty efficient system. They gave bonuses and opportunities to win money drawings.

Cons

No overtime pay. Difficult to make personal appointments (doctor/dentist etc.) during the work week because average day schedule was 8am - 8pm. We were an end terminal meaning more deliveries than pickups. It also means that we had major hub (Chicago) before ours and they could screw up a lot of peoples schedules.

Have to provide your own pallet jack and hand cart.

Allow drivers to move into the office and up the ranks. Give offices proper personnel to support the drivers and the customers.

Good pay

Former Employee - Line Haul Driver in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Line Haul Driver in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at R+L Carriers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay was good on linehauls and if you did your job as expected there weren't usually any problems with upper management.

Cons

Some of the other drivers were too busy sucking up to management & trying to get others fired instead of just doing their jobs.

Listen to your employees when there are problems

Over all good company, which made some poor management decisions several years back.

Current Employee - Service Center Manager
    Current Employee - Service Center Manager

I have been working at R+L Carriers full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, service and people.

Cons

HR does not treat employees fairly. President, HR and upper management does not give the Service Center Mangers very much support.

Let your managers run their centers. They are in the trenches and should be able to do what is needed without having to look over their shoulders.

Dec 10, 2014Employee Representative

Thank you for the feedback. All current employees are encouraged to share their thoughts via the employee page at http://www.talktorl.com/

Great place to work.

I worked at R+L Carriers

Pros

Promotion from within. Non-traditional benefits, such as several resorts at which employees can stay free of charge. The sales organization is getting stronger.

Cons

Very conservative ownership with outdated management styles. There are some strong, dynamic leaders at R+L, but they are often at odds with an older culture.

Operations management is very heavy handed.

Dec 10, 2014Employee Representative

Thank you for sharing your experience here. All reviews are considered by leadership and used for improvement in all we do.

Excellent Company

Current Employee - LH Supervisor in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - LH Supervisor in Memphis, TN

I have been working at R+L Carriers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

great employees and work environment

Cons

long hours of operation and must be dedicated

Waist of a year of my life. Horrible equipment.

Current Employee - Combo Driver in South Windsor, CT
    Current Employee - Combo Driver in South Windsor, CT

I have been working at R+L Carriers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They don't care much about HOS dispatch is very carefree no overtime. It's all straight time. Your likely to have a 14 hour plus day with these guys

Cons

You get vacation personal and sick time. But they will not allow you to use it. Upper mgmt is clueless

Fold to UPS

Stay as far away as you can from this place!!

Former Employee - Billing in Columbia, SC
    Former Employee - Billing in Columbia, SC

I worked at R+L Carriers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Weekly pay and free stay at the company resorts, I liked some of my co-workers and repetitive work with overtime.

Cons

EVERYTHING! Management is just awful about everything. If you can avoid this place do it! Definitely not the kind of job you want to stay at.

Stop thinking about yourselves and really treat the employees better.

Dec 10, 2014Employee Representative

We count on feedback from every employee to meet our goal of continuous improvement. Please consider sharing your experience at our R+L Cares page.

Portrayal, this company is no where close to being what the say.

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at R+L Carriers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a job to fill in the gaps while you are looking for a job. If you are looking for lower wages than what the competition pays, this might just be the company for you.

Cons

Upper management. VP of ops out of Lakeland is horrible. Old school with no forward thinking. All he wants is to fire people and always tells you that he will give you anything you need to support you but NEVER lives up to his word. Take the cross out of your logo, no where close ti being a so called Christian company that values people. Pride in our performance, pride in our people is the biggest joke among all employees.

Raise pay, learn how to value people, review your upper management, live by your motto. Quit portraying to be a Christian based company. Just let everyone know up front you don't care about people, just profit off the back of your people at lower wages than the competition.

Dec 10, 2014Employee Representative

We appreciate your feedback. As a current employee we encourage you to share your concerns on our employee page at http://www.talktorl.com/.

Don't bother telling upper management about a problem. They will just make up an excuse.

Current Employee - Dock Supervisor
    Current Employee - Dock Supervisor

I have been working at R+L Carriers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not much to say here. They will step over a dollar to save a dime. Literally the worst managed company.

Cons

Work you tell you have nothing left in you. And still want more. They don't plan for nothing. It's just all react day by day. When they have the means to plan at least a day ahead.

Pride in your people. Pride in our performance.
    More like, just pride in your bank account. Take better care of your people. Drivers aren't the only reason you are in business.

Dec 10, 2014Employee Representative

We appreciate your concerns being shared here at Glassdoor. Please consider leaving your thoughts at http://www.talktorl.com/ to be received and reviewed by leadership.

Great company and ultra competitive, but ownership needs to step in to save the company from itself.

Current Employee - Outside Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Outside Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at R+L Carriers full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great salary, excellent bonus potential, tons of opportunity to grow internally.

Cons

Cut throat environment. Everyone only cares about themselves and will do anything to make sure they stay off the radar. The ones that take chances for the benefit of the company get thrown about upper management the first time something goes wrong.

Recognize those who bring growth to the company, not those who stand idle and are content with what they "manage."