R+L Carriers Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Ralph Larry Roberts, Sr

Pros
  • Decent pay, vacation spots they own free of charge to use, Sundays off (in 4 reviews)

• Pay and some decent benefits, having the employee resorts is a plus when you get the opportunity to use them and you're off on weekends (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Total lack of respect for employees, slack management, and deplorable working conditions (in 4 reviews)

• Terminal Manager is rude and impatient and uncaring (in 4 reviews)

1. Customer Service Rep.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at R+L Carriers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are very goal oriented and they love the customer. Being a CSR is one of the most challenging jobs I've had. I was active duty Army for 8 yrs. and have spent over 2 yrs in Iraq. My whole terminal is full of vets and I feel right at home. You just want to take care of people and enjoy the pride that comes with that. It sucks to give bad news to customers sometimes, but when you go out of your way to come through and it woks...there aren't words to describe it.

Cons

You start at the bottom and it is very fast paced. If you have bad leadership then you have to improvise. They are very reluctant to listen to criticism as well as get rid of bad leadership. Just hope you land in good terminal. It makes all the difference.

Advice to Management

Don't be scared to get rid of bad leadership. Even the most novice employees accept and adhere to natural leaders. Silver Bullets such as the CSR Silver Bullet are the very best of the company. I've never learned so much.

2. Growing Company with the best performance in the Industry

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wilmington, OH
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Wilmington, OH

I have been working at R+L Carriers full-time

Pros

Ownership understands the business and cares about the people. Investments in revenue growing assets at all time high. Strong Leadership from the CFO and his team. Ops and Sales best in industry. Best technology in the truck. Industry leading City Dispatch and Dock Management system. Best Drivers.

Cons

Handling growth and expanding network.

Advice to Management

Acquire a large 3PL

3. Account executive

Pros

Good pay and flexible! Management is ok

Cons

Old technology needs to update to compete

Update

5. Family does not come first

Pros

the pay was very good

Cons

to many reports and big areas to cover

6. Driver

Current Employee - Driver in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Driver in Nashville, TN

I have been working at R+L Carriers full-time

Pros

well structured Great equipment and benefits

Cons

low pay start out other than that none

7. Great Place To Work

Pros

Decent pay and pay weekly. Co-workers are nice.

Cons

There are no cons so far.

8. RL Carriers is very mediocre employment

Former Employee - Safety in Wilmington, OH
    Former Employee - Safety in Wilmington, OH

I worked at R+L Carriers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am 100% honest and not a disgruntled employee...I left on good terms but I suggest working here only if unemployed or while interviewing elsewhere. This company was the worst experience in my career thus far. I witnessed and read things I wish I didn't.

Cons

Low Pay! Filthy Office Space VERY expensive health insurance premiums No confidentiality for employees on medical leave Poor Management Have to work 2 years to earn vacation NO sick pay NO time off for an entire year of hire! Legitimate sickness=Termination Discriminate with workers comp claims and FMLA They hire investigators to checkup on employees injury claims! Hostile Work Environment Rampant Favoritism and racism Safety is non existent Unsafe drivers are hired daily and sales reps with DUI infractions...think about this when you drive next to an RL semi driver who is speeding. Employee resorts are a joke..similar to a Motel 6 Uneducated and immoral management Expect 1 person to complete the work of 3

Advice to Management

Upgrade software and technology Listen to your employees Take refresher courses Follow policy and adhere to laws

9. Delivery Driver

Current Employee - P&D Driver in Ellenwood, GA
    Current Employee - P&D Driver in Ellenwood, GA

Pros

Great work place good money

Cons

None family friendly respectfull of employees

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

10. Unless you want to work 15-17 years behind modern web technologies, stay away from R+L.

Former Employee - Web Developer in Wilmington, OH
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Wilmington, OH

I worked at R+L Carriers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I was compensated for my unused PTO when I left

Cons

- Low salary - Windows environment - Resistance to change and new ideas - Cheap and extremely dirty used equipment - Version control is handled through TFS and heavily negelected - Salaried developers are treated like hourly employees - Substantial paperwork are required for very simple changes. It's not 1998 anymore. - Approvals are needed from too many people and Change Management boards - They are about 15-17 years behind on many development methodologies - Not an Agile environment even though they claim to be. Learn what Agile Methodology actually is. - Randomly accused of hate in the middle of a status meeting because I stood my ground during initial salary negotiation - They cycle through several developers on a single project - Quick to IM you about problems while providing little context and no code review - Extreme lack of communication between management and developers - Lack of sound decision making among many levels of leadership. You'll be tossed in every possible .direction up to the last second and then blamed when something isn't completed on schedule. - Code is often rushed and quality suffers - Politically bloated work environment. - Project Managers are given the best treatment within the company. Developers are treated as mere commodities. - Don't work at the Wilmington location unless you want to work under dried bird feces on the ceiling and insane amounts of dust. People are sick constantly and that's probably a reliable indicator as to why. I'm surprised that they haven't been reported to the Health Department. - The lofted ceiling at the Wilmington tech center is plastered with dry bird droppings and the place is full of dust. It explains why people who work there are constantly ill. They need to be reported to the heath department.

Advice to Management

Get a grip on technology and embrace change if you intend to stay in the web business.

11. Part-Time Dock Worker and Full-Time Student

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Alexandria, IN
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Alexandria, IN

I worked at R+L Carriers (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, clear-cut safety culture, easy instruction on daily responsibilities, generally friendly staff (with the exception of few who treat new people who are unfamiliar with work conditions unfairly- really no different than many other jobs).

Cons

Dirty and sometimes dangerous work environment, stressful if you care about the quality of work you put out, heavier responsibility for those that assume the position of doing quality work (again, not much different from many other jobs out there.)

Advice to Management

Although I did not feel disrespected, I never really felt an appreciation quite equal to the level of work I was contributing on a nightly basis. To be more clear, I didn't get any more personal reward for my hard work than the middle-of-the-road contributors on my shift- in fact, I was frequently in-charge of training new employees which was always a roll of the dice.

RSS Feed </> Embed