R.R. Donnelley

Updated September 2, 2014
2.7

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III
Tom Quinlan III

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual (in 11 reviews)

• needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • frequent rotational shifts disturbs our work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Unless you are "buddy buddy" with upper management you will not advance (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Consulting Design Strategist

Former Employee - Consulting Design Strategist  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Consulting Design Strategist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Exceptionally nice people, wide variety of accounts, great equipment.

Cons

Company is a conglomerate that has grown by acquisition so efforts at collaboration between locations, and efforts at innovation seem very fragmented and inconsistent.

phase out individual company identities and unite around core values and more clearly delineated mission. You have tremendous expertise in the companies you acquire, but it is sequestered in too many silos. A more effective co-working system for the different creative divisions would help leverage more innovation.

Educational

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President, Business Intelligence  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President, Business Intelligence in Atlanta, GA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Forward looking and dynamic subsidiary of RR Donnelley that focused on surveillance of mortgage backed securities. Exposure to the inner workings of some of Wall St's biggest players. Worked closely with a math genius that forced me to up my game significantly in that area.

Cons

Mature business intelligence environment that didn't need much attention, leading to severe boredom.

Management was superior in how they interacted with team members, shared information, and provided guidance concerning future directions of the company.

Very good learning opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Relaxed work schedule, Tele commute, Good management, Very good learning opportunity

Cons

Benefits and pay below par

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What's a raise?

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

RRD is a good place to work. The position is challenging, yet fun, and the people that I work with are understanding and flexible.

Cons

While the company seems to have all kinds of cash to buy up any competition we have, they can't seem to financially reward their employees for a job well done. Sure, we get a BS email quarterly from the CEO, who tells us how grateful he is for us, it doesn't help at all with the rising costs of living, and it's getting very disheartening.

Nice but needs organization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley as a contractor

Pros

I worked in the Atlanta creative office. The people are great. The location is great and the constant chic fil a coupons are a plus

Cons

Unrealistic views of what they are capable of. Project managers that have little experience in what it actually takes to execute a project.

Don't promise more than realistically possible in the clients time frame and budget. More communication between PMs and designers before talking to a client so everyone is on the same page. Try to get the client to stick to the timeline.

Great People, POOR Management

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very talented staff. Flexible on arrival times. Bring your child to work at your leisure, no one says anything

Cons

Management is outdated in their knowledge of technology. They do not care about their employees. Favoritism runs rampant. Originally a small boutique agency that does not realize they are now part of a large corporation. Overtime is expected as needed.

Allow employees to use their skills and talents. Add more managers who are competent and allow them to do the jobs they have been hired to do

Creative Director

Current Employee - Creative Director  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Creative Director in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You may have options of moving around the country if you talk with the right person

Cons

If a contract gets cut short your time is limited

Teams need a perk, any perk upper management needs to care about the people.

The leader in a dying industry.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Large company with lots of capabilities.

Cons

Almost too large, not nimble enough to respond to customer's needs compared to mom and pop competition. Upper management has no long term view, only short term goal of raising stock price.

Have a long term (10+ years) view of the industry and invest there, not on short term gain.

Learning Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Family atmosphere, everyone genuinely cares about each other and helps out.
    Great place to learn. Wide variety of work.

Cons

I'm not being paid what I think I should be, and we stopped getting merit increases two years ago. I can't say everyone isn't paid well. Just from personal experience. Be sure to start high, salary wise, when coming into the company. Their benefits are getting worse next year too (2013), from what I've heard, but I don't have their insurance.

I felt like a number.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Decent pay
    Decent benefits
    Great co-workers
    Separation package is great

Cons

People are not important and are totally expendible. No appreciation for dedication and hard work. They are more interested in buying more companies. It is a shame in today's economy that they are laying people off to outsource work. Morale is horrible. Insurance is expensive.

Worked for R.R. Donnelley? Contribute to the Community!