R.R. Donnelley

Updated February 22, 2015
2.7

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III
Tom Quinlan III

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual (in 15 reviews)

• needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, poor application of IT technology, no 401K match last several years (in 25 reviews)

• The work-life balance was good as I worked for an agent of the corporate structure-Donnelley Logistics (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

18 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Don't care about quality, only deadlines. Horrible.

Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (less than a year)

Pros

There are always available positions

Cons

Unqualified upper management sit in cushy offices and look down on overworked employees. Horrible, horrible benefits. Health insurance was a joke.

Be human.

No HR... Managers all over country and oblivious

Former Employee - Creative Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Creative Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Global Company with "offices" all over

Cons

Poor leadership. No training at all. HR unresponsive and 1,000 miles away. This was easily the worst managed company I've ever worked for. To be fair, there are multiple locations and set ups, so they may not all be the same. The insurance was also horrible for such a large company.

All of your employees whether at an FM site or concrete location deserve attention and care.

Good systems, good experience, but not people friendly

Former Employee - Distribution Manager in Austell, GA
    Former Employee - Distribution Manager in Austell, GA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Good systems and resources. The RRD name carries clout with vendors. Continuous reduction of management and supervisors meant those of us who were left wore a lot of hats, which gave me some great experience.

Cons

Continuous reduction of management and supervisors meant those of us who were left wore TOO MANY hats. Lots of stress, tons of hours, difficult to make any real progress. Felt like we were just treading water most of the time.

You are losing a lot of good people because they feel like there's no future at this company.

An expendable asset

Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Graphic Artist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers, interesting work, mostly.

Cons

Big and very impersonal company. Try and make you feel "part of the team" until it's time to cut cost and you're discarded like a fast food wrapper. Then they get their branch in India to to take up the slack.

Don't forget that PEOPLE work for you. My own supervisor was in tears we she told me that the upper mgmt folks told her to cut me loose. She had no say in the matter.

Good learning experience, but poor management

Former Contractor - Production Layout Artist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Production Layout Artist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Learning different skills with different team leaders in various departments of the company with room to grow

Cons

Management lacked an understanding of the role and worried more about the bottom line. It was difficult to fulfill the role because varying demand and flexible schedules created excessive downtime.

Donnelley

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is large and stable. The have lots of product offerings. Great people to work with.

Cons

Micromanaged and overworked at times

N/A

What's a raise?

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

RRD is a good place to work. The position is challenging, yet fun, and the people that I work with are understanding and flexible.

Cons

While the company seems to have all kinds of cash to buy up any competition we have, they can't seem to financially reward their employees for a job well done. Sure, we get a BS email quarterly from the CEO, who tells us how grateful he is for us, it doesn't help at all with the rising costs of living, and it's getting very disheartening.

Nice but needs organization

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Atlanta, GA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley as a contractor

Pros

I worked in the Atlanta creative office. The people are great. The location is great and the constant chic fil a coupons are a plus

Cons

Unrealistic views of what they are capable of. Project managers that have little experience in what it actually takes to execute a project.

Don't promise more than realistically possible in the clients time frame and budget. More communication between PMs and designers before talking to a client so everyone is on the same page. Try to get the client to stick to the timeline.

Wasted years

Former Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Atlanta, GA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best reason to work at Bowne was it had a good reputation. It was the oldest company on the American Stock Exchange and one of the oldest in the country having been founded by Robert Bowne in 1775.

Cons

Numerous. Disastrous leadership, poor coordination between branches, poor cooperation between branches, afraid to commit to new technology which ultimately killed the company. They were selling buggy whips.

Go find a new job because you ran the company into the ground.

Decent first job to learn customer service

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment during proxy and filing season. IPOs, M&A documents you could sense the importance of them. Work with high level customers - attorneys, CXOs, investment bankers.

Family environment, made some good friends. Some good mentors for me at the time were there.

Cons

Not much room to grow and increase salary. Slow to change, they do printing after all, fading medium..

R.R. Donnelley Photos