R.R. Donnelley

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III

Tom Quinlan III

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great People, POOR Management

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery talented staff. Flexible on arrival times. Bring your child to work at your leisure, no one says anything

ConsManagement is outdated in their knowledge of technology. They do not care about their employees. Favoritism runs rampant. Originally a small boutique agency that does not realize they are now part of a large corporation. Overtime is expected as needed.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to use their skills and talents. Add more managers who are competent and allow them to do the jobs they have been hired to do

Consulting Design Strategist

Consulting Design Strategist (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley as a contractor for less than a year

ProsExceptionally nice people, wide variety of accounts, great equipment.

ConsCompany is a conglomerate that has grown by acquisition so efforts at collaboration between locations, and efforts at innovation seem very fragmented and inconsistent.

Advice to Senior Managementphase out individual company identities and unite around core values and more clearly delineated mission. You have tremendous expertise in the companies you acquire, but it is sequestered in too many silos. A more effective co-working system for the different creative divisions would help leverage more innovation.

Creative Director

Creative Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou may have options of moving around the country if you talk with the right person

ConsIf a contract gets cut short your time is limited

Advice to Senior ManagementTeams need a perk, any perk upper management needs to care about the people.

An expendable asset

Graphic Artist (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than a year

ProsGood coworkers, interesting work, mostly.

ConsBig and very impersonal company. Try and make you feel "part of the team" until it's time to cut cost and you're discarded like a fast food wrapper. Then they get their branch in India to to take up the slack.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget that PEOPLE work for you. My own supervisor was in tears we she told me that the upper mgmt folks told her to cut me loose. She had no say in the matter.

No HR... Managers all over country and oblivious

Creative Manager (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time for less than a year

ProsGlobal Company with "offices" all over

ConsPoor leadership. No training at all. HR unresponsive and 1,000 miles away. This was easily the worst managed company I've ever worked for. To be fair, there are multiple locations and set ups, so they may not all be the same. The insurance was also horrible for such a large company.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll of your employees whether at an FM site or concrete location deserve attention and care.

The leader in a dying industry.

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLarge company with lots of capabilities.

ConsAlmost too large, not nimble enough to respond to customer's needs compared to mom and pop competition. Upper management has no long term view, only short term goal of raising stock price.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a long term (10+ years) view of the industry and invest there, not on short term gain.

Learning Experience

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFamily atmosphere, everyone genuinely cares about each other and helps out.
Great place to learn. Wide variety of work.

ConsI'm not being paid what I think I should be, and we stopped getting merit increases two years ago. I can't say everyone isn't paid well. Just from personal experience. Be sure to start high, salary wise, when coming into the company. Their benefits are getting worse next year too (2013), from what I've heard, but I don't have their insurance.

Educational

Assistant Vice President, Business Intelligence (Former Employee)

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 3 years

ProsForward looking and dynamic subsidiary of RR Donnelley that focused on surveillance of mortgage backed securities. Exposure to the inner workings of some of Wall St's biggest players. Worked closely with a math genius that forced me to up my game significantly in that area.

ConsMature business intelligence environment that didn't need much attention, leading to severe boredom.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement was superior in how they interacted with team members, shared information, and provided guidance concerning future directions of the company.

I felt like a number.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at R.R. Donnelley

ProsDecent pay
Decent benefits
Great co-workers
Separation package is great

ConsPeople are not important and are totally expendible. No appreciation for dedication and hard work. They are more interested in buying more companies. It is a shame in today's economy that they are laying people off to outsource work. Morale is horrible. Insurance is expensive.

Very good learning opportunity

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

ProsRelaxed work schedule, Tele commute, Good management, Very good learning opportunity

ConsBenefits and pay below par

Worked for R.R. Donnelley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at R.R. Donnelley reviews and ratings in Atlanta, GA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for R.R. Donnelley CEO Tom Quinlan III. All 10 reviews posted anonymously by R.R. Donnelley employees.