R.R. Donnelley

Be The First To
Add Photos

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III

Tom Quinlan III

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual(in 10 reviews)

• needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • frequent rotational shifts disturbs our work life balance(in 14 reviews)

• Costly benefits, continue to downsize, no perks, ceased pension plan and no 401k Match(in 20 reviews)

Excellent Company to work for

ProsI worked in the Warrenville location, and it was for the most part a stress free, and supportive atmosphere.

ConsIf you are straight out of college, there won't be very many other employees your age, especially in the IT side.

Advice to Senior ManagementFantastic management.

Not worth it!!

Laborer (Former Employee) Baraboo, WI

ProsThe only PROS of working for this company is meeting new people. There are a lot of people that work for this company that are working their behinds off to make a dollar or two to survive and there is some that are very interesting! Many cultures of people work for this company.

ConsThis company has MANY CONS! They are a global company that does not keep up with their buildings, machinery, upper management, safety precautions, quality, and soooooo much more! They do NOT treat their employees as equals. This company is only worried about making money and NOT the little man!! It seems that if they can get away with something/anything they will for as long as they can and if it brought to their attention they try to shove it under the rug!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGET NEW MANAGEMENT!!!

Terrible benefits package, limited opportunities and management indifference toward employees

Technology Training (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWorking in the global outsourcing division gives you a good opportunity to work outside of RR Donnelley

ConsMedical Benefits are extremely expensive, no 401k match, stagnant environment with few opportunities to grow and no professional development opportunities. Pay raises, even for top performers, have been non-existent the past several years but health care costs have gone up dramatically.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up and do something about the out of control health care costs. We are paying too much for a very poor medical plan. In addition, start rewarding top performers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not what you would think they should be.

Bindery Machine Operator (Former Employee) Bolingbrook, IL

ProsA big name global company.

ConsThis company only cares about their shareholders and not their employees. They never choose managers and supervisors with correct experience or background. They only hire their buddies so they can collect on a finders fee. This company is much to corrupt to consider if you have a career in your field. The managers and supervisors stay out of sight and do very little because they never have an answer or a solution and that is because of the lack of background and experience. RRD does not teach. If you are polished they can't use you or won't use you because they are very insecure. They rather point the finger and argue about nonsense then work as a team. This company will dummy down the most intelligent people. This company is always hiring. Usually they already have someone chosen but, they only go through the formality of posting the jobs.
    They do not promote internally because of lack of knowledge and experience in the next levels. This big company will and has become just a job. I know of some that have worked for this company over 25 years and have never been promoted to anything else other then what they started as, and they are paid like they are slight idiots and not employees of 25 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is only concerned about keeping their own jobs. They will never care about the company, team, moving ahead and progressing to a higher level. To much corruption all around. It will never stop until you clean house and correctly interview and correctly place your talent to the correct job.

One of the worst professional experiences of my sales career

Inside Sales (Former Employee) Lewisville, TX

ProsSome of the people within the inside sales division were very friendly and well knowledgeable for the industry they are in.

ConsSystems, procedures, policies, business practices, and everything in between was horribly disorganized. We were constantly told to quote lead times that were never going to get met, and asked to sell print jobs below margins just to get the sale. Commissions were never accurate. The insurance coverage offered was laughable at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart really listening to your employee's and customer's needs and then execute a plan to meet those needs. Stop basing all decision making of the fact that being the biggest makes you automatically the best. Strive to actually be the best.

Yuck. Yusk. Yuck.

Quality Control (Former Employee) Neenah, WI

ProsCan't think of any. Never a good moment in this hell-hole.

ConsToo many to list. Management sucks, bad pay, no benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease quit and ley some other people try their luck

Doesn't really nurture aspirations.

Machine Operator (Current Employee) Breinigsville, PA

ProsPay was the best I ever had, but I had low standards to begin with, and next to the industry average it was terribly "meh" so I wouldn't really consider it a 'pro'. Personally, I enjoy the pay, but that’s it. It was not enough to keep me actually loyal to or interested in the company. I tried and was assertive for a good while, but the more I looked around at the company the more disheartened I became.
    If you're in the offices, you're probably ok, but if you're anywhere else and aren't an authority figure you're pretty much treated as a grunt.

ConsI wanna say a lot about this, but being a current employee it'll put my job at risk, because yes management's had meetings about bad reviews from former employees on other sites, so I don't doubt there will be repercussions for me saying what actually needs to be said here. And to actually say it through their open door policy will be looked at as me having an "attitude" or dismissed like all of it seems to be.
    Hopefully I can edit this once I'm secure elsewhere.
    For now though, best I can say is there's a lot of outdated and damaged essential equipment, lotta shady temps that disrespect the facilities, and a lot of employees with poor work ethic. Certain authority figures hide problems from others for their own gain, and overtime is extremely abused.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some of that profit you keep telling the employees about at the quarterly meetings, quit buying OTHER companies or giving unwarranted bonus' to the board members, and invest it in things that actually make a difference to your current one. There are computer systems out on the production floor literally older than some of your employees. A mere smartphone has more kick than some of the stuff hooked up to some of your printers. And many of said printers are pushing low quality because they're in similar/poor condition, making them high maintenance. Treating your good employees well and providing them with adequate and up to date equipment and computer systems, as well as keeping the place clean will boost production and reduce downtime immeasurably. Take your bad employees and get rid of them (this includes a lot of management). Make some sort of pay incentive program to get work done ASAP, and not just sitting till or after the due date. Update your job tracking and issuing systems. Provide an anonymous peer review system to better weed out favoritism and/or poor employees. In short, respect your assets, expel/fix your liabilities, and quit operating it like a 'get rich quick' mechanism.

Mount Vernon Printing is not my life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Laurel, MD

ProsCo-Workers were friendly.
    Union Shop

ConsManagement is RUDE.
    I felt very disrespected at times.
    NO Overtime and you work weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate needs to watch who is in management.

Cell phone might have saved my job

Press Operator II (Former Employee) Visalia, CA

ProsPay was good...it was close to my house!!

ConsNo communication between anybody!! I had a lead guy telling me one thing...plant manager telling me another!! They talk about excessive cell phone use....but management can walk around using their phones!? Monkey see monkey do!

Advice to Senior ManagementNeedless to say that after 15 years of service with this co...I was let go because I came back from lunch late with no explanation at all! If Supervision would answer the phone...I still might be employed!

Good place for transition

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Bolingbrook, IL

ProsPay is better than most CSR jobs. Salary employees have flexibility in schedule. The work is not difficult at all.

ConsManagement is not around unless they have bad news or you are in trouble. There is favoritism for senior employees that disrespect others and get away with it. Worst part of this place is the coworkers.

Advice to Senior ManagementShow more appreciation to your employees. There are quite a few bad weeds that need to be pulled to help the company grow.

Worked for R.R. Donnelley? Contribute to the Community!