R.R. Donnelley

Be The First To
Add Photos

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III

Tom Quinlan III

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual"
    in 10 reviews
  • "needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "No 401K match, stock options, bonus etc"
    in 17 reviews
  • "frequent rotational shifts disturbs our work life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Not worth it!!

Laborer (Former Employee)
    Baraboo, WI

ProsThe only PROS of working for this company is meeting new people. There are a lot of people that work for this company that are working their behinds off to make a dollar or two to survive and there is some that are very interesting! Many cultures of people work for this company.

ConsThis company has MANY CONS! They are a global company that does not keep up with their buildings, machinery, upper management, safety precautions, quality, and soooooo much more! They do NOT treat their employees as equals. This company is only worried about making money and NOT the little man!! It seems that if they can get away with something/anything they will for as long as they can and if it brought to their attention they try to shove it under the rug!!

Advice to Senior ManagementGET NEW MANAGEMENT!!!

Not what you would think they should be.

Bindery Machine Operator (Former Employee)
    Bolingbrook, IL

ProsA big name global company.

ConsThis company only cares about their shareholders and not their employees. They never choose managers and supervisors with correct experience or background. They only hire their buddies so they can collect on a finders fee. This company is much to corrupt to consider if you have a career in your field. The managers and supervisors stay out of sight and do very little because they never have an answer or a solution and that is because of the lack of background and experience. RRD does not teach. If you are polished they can't use you or won't use you because they are very insecure. They rather point the finger and argue about nonsense then work as a team. This company will dummy down the most intelligent people. This company is always hiring. Usually they already have someone chosen but, they only go through the formality of posting the jobs.
    They do not promote internally because of lack of knowledge and experience in the next levels. This big company will and has become just a job. I know of some that have worked for this company over 25 years and have never been promoted to anything else other then what they started as, and they are paid like they are slight idiots and not employees of 25 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is only concerned about keeping their own jobs. They will never care about the company, team, moving ahead and progressing to a higher level. To much corruption all around. It will never stop until you clean house and correctly interview and correctly place your talent to the correct job.

One of the worst professional experiences of my sales career

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
    Lewisville, TX

ProsSome of the people within the inside sales division were very friendly and well knowledgeable for the industry they are in.

ConsSystems, procedures, policies, business practices, and everything in between was horribly disorganized. We were constantly told to quote lead times that were never going to get met, and asked to sell print jobs below margins just to get the sale. Commissions were never accurate. The insurance coverage offered was laughable at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart really listening to your employee's and customer's needs and then execute a plan to meet those needs. Stop basing all decision making of the fact that being the biggest makes you automatically the best. Strive to actually be the best.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ongoing change

Director (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsSolid cashflow company. There are still a few managers who care about people as people

ConsUncertainty and Too much company debt

Yuck. Yusk. Yuck.

Quality Control (Former Employee)
    Neenah, WI

ProsCan't think of any. Never a good moment in this hell-hole.

ConsToo many to list. Management sucks, bad pay, no benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease quit and ley some other people try their luck

Nice people, reasonable expectations

Pre-Press Technician (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

ProsThe nice people and reasonable expectations, for two! Never felt like I was being overburdened, they understand that correcting photos is a time-consuming process and allot an appropriate amount of time for doing it.

ConsIt can be a bit slow, and like most places that work on photos with precision, you're in a dark room for most of the day. But that's the work itself, the work environment was quite nice.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing really.

Not what it used to be

Technical Service Specialist (Current Employee)
    Lancaster, PA

ProsDecent salary, long-term employment, ok benefits

ConsDeclining business in some units, management in some areas needs some work

Get me outta here

New York, NY

Prosco-workers
    20 word minimum? I'm doing what I love for a company I've grown to hate. There aren't many more pros than the people I work with.

ConsNo career path
    Benefits slashed
    Salaries stagnant
    Increased responsibilities with no compensation
    Management Mantra: "Be happy you have a job, little cog"

Advice to Senior ManagementStop talking at employees and start doing something about their rampant unhappiness, and stop pawning it off on lower level managers to create satisfaction without supporting them. If I'm asked to fill out one more survey that you're not going to do a darn thing about, and worse, try to spin it as if reactions were positive, I'll scream. Lack of responses means we've given up and aren't going to let you waste our time with more of it.

Mount Vernon Printing is not my life

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Laurel, MD

ProsCo-Workers were friendly.
    Union Shop

ConsManagement is RUDE.
    I felt very disrespected at times.
    NO Overtime and you work weekends

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate needs to watch who is in management.

Dead end jobs galore

ProsYou will get a lot of mandatory overtime, if you like that kind of life then this is the right company for you.

ConsNo work/life balance. You will work a lot of mandatory overtime and still have to worry about your work when you come home or go on vacation.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt won't hurt to invest in technology to improve your internal systems. The system is so outdated, it makes the job a lot harder than it needs to be.

Worked for R.R. Donnelley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at R.R. Donnelley reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for R.R. Donnelley CEO Tom Quinlan III. All 397 reviews posted anonymously by R.R. Donnelley employees.