R.R. Donnelley

Updated September 15, 2014
2.7

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III
Tom Quinlan III

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual (in 11 reviews)

• needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • frequent rotational shifts disturbs our work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Unless you are "buddy buddy" with upper management you will not advance (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience but the time for RRD has gone by

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Training was great- Great learning experience.

Cons

No loyalty to employees. Senior management out of touch of employees needs. Forms industry is on the decline

Stop instilling fear in Front line employees and management.

What's a raise?

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

RRD is a good place to work. The position is challenging, yet fun, and the people that I work with are understanding and flexible.

Cons

While the company seems to have all kinds of cash to buy up any competition we have, they can't seem to financially reward their employees for a job well done. Sure, we get a BS email quarterly from the CEO, who tells us how grateful he is for us, it doesn't help at all with the rising costs of living, and it's getting very disheartening.

Nice people, but Little or no culture or employee investment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very stable business. It has basic benefits. Calm atmosphere. Most of the people are nice as well.

Cons

High work and stress environment. They don't have the budget to hire more people. Poor or no training across the board. Little or no advancement. Since print is dying, the business has had to move to less profitable business models. No culture. Many parts of the business are not directly managed due to lack of man power.

Invest in a training program and infrastructure development especially with new facilities. Hire more people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It started off well

Former Employee - Composition
    Former Employee - Composition

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

It is a relatively stable company that used to be a great place to work

Cons

Limited advancement, long hours expected, and they started being less and less generous as time went on. Also secretive, didn't like to tell employees whenthere were layoffs around the world...would try to call a site.one day and it.would.have been shut down with no explanation. Very annoying.

Mature company in a mature industry

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Financially stable with a true global reach. The possibilities are endless with the right leadership.

Cons

It is a mature industry with a true corporate culture where all significant action is driven from the top. There is a lot of concern with what the company will become. There is a constant and focus on reducing cost and outsourcing functions which is stressful and dysfunctional to entire organization.

Focus more on straightening the company capabilities and future product offering. Improve employees engagement by including them in the building of the "New RRD". Less organizational focus on cost reductions and more on future.

BETTER COMPANIES OUT THERE

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at R.R. Donnelley as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Friendly co-workers, hours were good and close to home

Cons

no loyalty, pay not that great, benefits were horrible

Get some culture and develop employees and keep them happy! Give bonus to the hard working employees and quit laying off all the right people!

Run in the other direction

Former Employee - Material Handler  in  Lynchburg, VA
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Lynchburg, VA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

it was a good paying job for the area that I live in. I made a few good friends that I enjoyed working with. that's about all.

Cons

management treats you like your just a body to produce work. there is no real open door policy. round table meeting to hear ideas but nothing ever gets implemented. upper management so afraid of losing their jobs that they walk around looking for people to fire. trying to meet deadlines they work their employees 7 days a week and no appreciation. when I started in 06 they used to have employee picnics pizza parties, needless to say that got scratched out the budget.

stop letting management decide whose a good worker and whose not and let the work speak for itself. it shouldn't b whose related to who or whose friends with who.

Corporation Ruled by HR

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Most of the people I worked with are excellent people who are motivated, hardworking, and loyal. The pay is ... okay, but the stability is nice.

Cons

HR's corporate bureaucracy overrules any considerations of job performance, etc.

Good pay, crappy management

Former Employee - Proofreader  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Proofreader in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time for less than a year

Pros

The hours were flexible, especially helpful for someone going to school during the day. They have shifts all day and night, although the day shifts are reserved for those who have worked there the longest. The training was great (in my opinion, though I noticed others struggled a bit--older folks and those less comfortable with computers) and once trained you are thrown in with the rest. It's stressful at first but the shift leads are very helpful and always ready to share their knowledge.

Cons

The evening/night management was horrible. I felt like hiding whenever the manager came by even though I was a stellar employee. The manager made me feel like he would never be satisfied with your performance--kind of a twisted motivation technique which makes employees feel extremely under appreciated.

Ease off of the "never good enough, you may be fired tomorrow" tactics.

Good place to start

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time

Pros

150 year company, company programs

Cons

no growth, poor health benefits

train supervisors

Worked for R.R. Donnelley? Contribute to the Community!