R.R. Donnelley

Be The First To
Add Photos

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III

Tom Quinlan III

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual (in 11 reviews)

• needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • frequent rotational shifts disturbs our work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Unless you are "buddy buddy" with upper management you will not advance (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Fair to partly cloudy.

Developer (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsUse of multiple technologies allowed.

ConsCorporate overhead can be a bit much.

Better than most transportation companies.

Dispatcher (Current Employee)

ProsNice people for the most part.

ConsGlass ceiling depending on certain aspects, sometimes not quite fair..

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more internal employees for open positions than you do.

Good money but a lot of overtime!

Material Handler (Former Employee) Mattoon, IL

ProsVery good pay. Most of the people are not bad to work with and three half hour breaks in an eight hour shift.

ConsVery long hours!!! 12 hour shifts constantly and a lot of working weekends. It leaves no time to spend with your family.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work, but not when you want day shift hours...

ProsMoney is good, good people to work with. Easy work.

ConsAnyone can get a job on 2nd shift or 3rd shift... very VERY hard to get on day shift.

Large company but recognize talent and focus on retention

Sales Representative (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsI've been with RRD for almost 6 years and work in sales. The company is giant so mobility is tangible and they focus on keeping sales employees happy. Their acquisition strategy is robust, they're always looking to scoop up the big opportunities, which only strengthen their value proposition.

ConsCompensation for sales is limitless on the commission payment structure. Compensation for those not in sales tends to be on the low side. This creates a palatable dichotomy between sales and production and individual facilities. I'ts quite common as far as the industry goes though.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on sales training and continuous learning programs.

Established culture, nice people

Project Manager (Current Employee) Logan, UT

ProsThis particular facility was full of extremely kind, experienced people that were willing to give their own time to help you progress in your position and career. Willing to work with school schedule and family responsibilities.

ConsPotential limits to growth if not willing to relocate, as people seemed to stay for a long time at the company. .

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a little more time to make the work facility more animated and lively. Was a bit drab and out of date, though not a big deal.

I'm in my early 40's and feel like I'm ready to retire...

Software (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat work/life balance. Can work from home. Little to no oversight by my supervisor...I go months without speaking to her. (knock, knock) never hear of layoffs. Work load is usually light. Supervisors and senior management in my department are really nice people who I would enjoy putting my best food forward for if everything else in the company wasn't so horrendous.

ConsNo career progression. No career path. No employee feed back. No 401K match. Dental plan costs $1,000 a year. Health insurance kicks in AFTER you meet a $6,500 deductible. Premiums went up 37% last year. Universal 1% annual raises. Annual bonuses are $300 across the entire company. Corporate morale is horrendous. No parties, happy hour, company sponsored events, etc. The only corporate correspond sent are about occupational safety (I have a desk job) or some HR-sponsored "get fit" campaigns. No allotted sick days. Takes FOREVER to get anything done and way too much red tape to pass through.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour company breeds apathy, not success. There is literally no incentive for me to care about this company or its success. Our HR portal mentions retiree pensions.....you don't even provide a 401K company match for your current employees! My bonus from a non-F500 company in 2004 was DOUBLE the bonus I got from RRD in 2014...and I was earning half the salary at the time!

This is NOT F500 material. I'm embarrassed to tell people I work for this company.

Bindery - Easy work if you don't mind repetition.

Feeder (Current Employee) Lancaster, PA

ProsMost of the co-workers and supervisors are friendly. Fine place to work if you don't mind repeatedly doing the same exact same thing for an entire 8 hour shift.

ConsWorking in the bindery becomes quite a drag after a few short weeks. The job does not require you to know or learn any specific skills. Most of the time you are doing the same thing over and over, which is loading lifts of product into the bindery machines. Work day is slow because of the mundane work that you are required to do. Not very challenging at all. If you work full-time there is always a good chance that you will be forced to work overtime on any given day. You are required to work every other weekend. Not much room for advancement in the Bindery department. You can become an Assistant Operator and then an Operator, that is it as far as I'm aware.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a few extra bodies so you don't have to constantly force employees who do not want to work overtime, to work overtime.

People and atmosphere are terrific but benefits are awful.

Information Technology (Current Employee) Warrenville, IL

ProsForward thinking leadership
    Nice office atmosphere (Corporate)
    Turnover/acquiaitions provides frequent opportunities for diversity

ConsBelow standard salaries across the board
    Health Benefits as poor as industry offers
    HR support is very inconsistent but generally quite poor
    No financial benefits, although 401K is mentioned as possible but hasn't been restored for years

Advice to Senior ManagementI am in management with the company and I understand that the poor profit margain of most services leads to running very lean operations. You could pay people their market value but hurt the company or you can pay them what you can get away with and hurt the employees. The only answer is to transition the company to services that support greater benefits to the employees

Poor benefits and unrealistic work hours indicate corporate mentality

Project Manager (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsGood core group on staff

ConsHigh benefits cost to employees; no company contribution to 401K; expectation to be available on-call in addition to schedule. No support for balanced work/life.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt has to be a partnership between management and staff. Time to stop the "you're lucky to have a job" and start valuing the long-term contributors.

Worked for R.R. Donnelley? Contribute to the Community!