R.R. Donnelley

Updated December 13, 2014
2.6

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III
Tom Quinlan III

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual (in 15 reviews)

• needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, poor application of IT technology, no 401K match last several years (in 25 reviews)

• The work-life balance was good as I worked for an agent of the corporate structure-Donnelley Logistics (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

The people you work with are the best part of the job

Current Employee - IT Manager
    Current Employee - IT Manager

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

It is an alright place to work. Most of the employees are fun to work with and want to do a good job. Review process is good. Compensation is average.

Cons

Benefits have gone down significantly, with no 401k matching and minimal raises across the board. HR seems out of touch with the needs of the employees.

Alright Work Enviorment

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

A lot of areas to work withing, various industries all under one RRD umbrellla

Cons

Each division is like its own desperate company. What they do in Logistics, they don't do in Printing etc. Each office has its own culture, but moving between them is expected to be easy.

Enjoyed IT

Former Employee - IT Guy
    Former Employee - IT Guy

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I was a senior site-based IT support guy and had a really good experience. There was not too much overtime, on-call weeks happened only 4 times a year or so, and I felt really supported by my manager and supervisor. Also the Site IT structure, as an organization, I felt was really well run.

Cons

Not really a con per se, but companies of RRD's size absolutely rely on procedure and protocol for getting things done. SLA's are at stake and life is much easier if one knows the procedure and then follows it.

n/a

A total letdown company.

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours if needed. In the past there "were" opportunities to help out other teams within the company and travel to do so.

Cons

Poor benefits. 401k matching gone! No bonuses whatsoever for quite a few years now! no raises in the past few years! Not even an increase in pay to help with inflation! Poor morale for employees! If you have an issue and wish to speak to Human Resources about it, it is not kept confidential! Employees milk the company when they can due to lack of proper management. Employees on salary have been allowed to miss numerous days with pay and not be noticed or get caught, been happening for years. No relocation allowance/package available for employees wanting to seek out better opportunities within the company. Too many employees not being recognized for their strengths and others being promoted for no reason whatsoever. Company keeps growing and acquiring new businesses using hard earned employee's funds basically, by means from employee's deserved raises, bonuses and 401k matching.

Need to see that morale is quite low at times due to lack of management and poor opportunities within the company. Need to recognize strengths and weaknesses of others. Takes too long to rid a company of destructive and underperforming employees due to lack of management.

Not invested in employees

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Salaries are competitive. The company supports diversity in a way most companies do not.

Cons

This company is not very concerned about employee growth or morale.

Wonderful coworkers but terrible incentives/management

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers and the work can be quite interesting and satisfying.

Cons

No 401k match. Terrible health/dental insurance. Awful bonuses. No real incentive to keep working harder and harder. Management doesn't listen to employee concerns. Poor work/life balance.

Listen to your employees. Give them better compensation and let them know about way to move up in the company.

Fun place to work - easy

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, very nice people, lots of tenure,

Cons

Insurance not that great, low pay for the work you do. Management gets the big bonus while the hourly employees ger minimal. Across the board raises. Raises not based on the work you do

A comfortable job with limited growth potential

Current Employee - Developer II in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Developer II in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-- As part of a small team, I work at my own pace
    -- I sort-of make my own schedule
    -- They are pretty good at giving me the tools I need to design what they want

Cons

-- Health Benefits are not the best
    -- The pay cap is below the national average for my skills set
    -- This year saw a company-wide 1% raise, which is just not enough.
    -- There isn't a lot of creative freedom in the projects I am designing

Pay the employees what they are worth, please. Also, embrace change. I've seen far too many parts of my project get rejected because management did not want to adapt to change.

Good learning experience, but poor management

Former Employee - Production Layout Artist in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Production Layout Artist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Learning different skills with different team leaders in various departments of the company with room to grow

Cons

Management lacked an understanding of the role and worried more about the bottom line. It was difficult to fulfill the role because varying demand and flexible schedules created excessive downtime.

Quiet, large company main focus on print - Trying to branch out to other markets.

Current Employee - CRM in Warrenville, IL
    Current Employee - CRM in Warrenville, IL

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great clients, flexible hours. Company, as a whole, supports equal opportunity with lot's of incentives with clients and their products.

Cons

Spread out, lots of red tape. CRM programs are old and reporting is difficult, too many hands without any real direction and management works from home too much.

R.R. Donnelley Photos