R.R. Donnelley Reviews

564 reviews filtered by
2.6
R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III
Tom Quinlan III

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual (in 15 reviews)

• needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, poor application of IT technology, no 401K match last several years (in 25 reviews)

• The work-life balance was good as I worked for an agent of the corporate structure-Donnelley Logistics (in 15 reviews)

1. Manufacturing location in major decline. Lancaster Pa.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There is a core group of workers that really care but it gets smaller every day.

Cons

The facility I work at is no longer being maintained. There are roof leaks throughout the building and the solution has be to install tarps to catch and divert water. From my work area I can count 30 to 40 tarps. If the building is not being maintained my future is not being maintained. I don't recommend anyone seeking employment here.

Start maintaining the facility and and the equipment as an indicator that RR Donnelley plans to continue operations. This location was once the crown jewel of the company and has been miss managed and left to deteriorate. A management group that stops caring about the building , equipment and grounds obviously does not care about the people trying to work there.

I wouldn't recommend this company to my worst enemy.

I worked at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Only the good people you're in the trenches with. That is all.

Cons

This is a top down organization run by a puppet manager that can't string a sentence together, let alone know how the work gets done and what it takes to do it. Employees are doing the job of 3-4 people wherever you look. This is a punitive company where "write-ups" are "positive communication." A lack of diversity, respect of any kind, nonexistent communication; people killing themselves in the eye of utter and daily chaos (two of the floor managers have had heart attacks at a young age), the inability to order supplies that can't be done without. All the lovely attributes of RRD.

Get rid of the manager that no one respects (save your money there); talk to your team leads. Know how your "bottom line" decisions affect those you're already asking too much of. Learn how to onboard a client: knowing how much work is really involved and then dedicate staff to get it done without absolute meltdowns on your floor. Having watch you lose three major clients in as many years, you'd think you would have learned some valuable lessons from that.

3. Love/Hate Job, Company is becoming a dinosaur

Former Employee - Fork Lift Operator in Gallatin, TN
    Former Employee - Fork Lift Operator in Gallatin, TN

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved the schedule. I worked 12 hour shifts, 3 days on and 4 days off. In the busy season there was all the overtime you wanted.

Cons

In the slow season you couldn't pay your bills on the hours you worked. The rotating schedule made it impossible to get a part time job to supplement. And forgot trying to go back to college, the schedule would not permit it.

Equipment is always in a state of dis-repair, try fixing it. Upper management turns a blind eye and the company is not run efficiently.

Horrible place to work

Current Employee - Financial Services Account Specialist in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Services Account Specialist in New York, NY

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paychecks do not bounce. I wish there were more pros, but not at RR Donnelley. Close to the Path train.

Cons

Benefits are extremely expensive and not good. Pay is capped at a low amount for the industry and management fails to mention that when you are hired. All time off and mandatory weekend sign up is based on seniority, which would makes sense if, a) there was a union and, b) everyone that they hired was new to the industry. Unfortunately, you can have 25 years of experience in the industry and be stuck behind someone who has never done the job before but was hire two days before you. Work life balance is non-existent. They claim you have to work "some weekends" and then make you sign up for 28-32 weekend days per year depending on your shift. The management is extremely weak and are incapable of making good decisions.

Retire before you do even more damage.

6. Poor Leadership !

Former Employee - Customer Account Manager in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Account Manager in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Company seems profitable. If you have a staff position you will probably have job for 10 years at least.

Cons

No motivation. Company has the same outlook for the last 20 years going no where fast! No visible minorities in senior leadership. This is surprising as RR Donnelley lost a discrimination case years ago in the U.S. You would think they would have changed "their white is right" philosophy by now.
    The new president in Canada is no different from the previous. He surrounds himself with his own "old boys" club.

Get some new blood. Change your market focus from print to data management. Transition to content management and the company may have a future. Treat your people better( very simple). It time also to get rid of the old guard and their mind set and arrogance.

7. Senior International Tax Accountant

Former Employee - Senior International Tax Accountant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior International Tax Accountant in Chicago, IL

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The majority of the tax team was a pleasure to work with. They were very bright & the nature of the business offer great opportunity to work on complex issues & transactions.

Cons

My direct supervisor was a nightmare to work with. Simply a nightmare. Above everything else, she did NOT know how to effectively communicate & simply did NOT know how to manage people.

8. Less for employees

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Diversifying from printing into many other more current business opportunities.
    Safety conscious.
    Talks the talk for shareholders.
    Most of the employees and coworkers are very nice and highly competent.

Cons

Very high employee contribution for health care. No company contribution to 401K.
    Little or no annual pay increases.
    Promises of large bonus opportunities never materialize; none or minimal actually are given.
    Long term managers part of the old boys network can get away with abusive behavior. Work the system to get there way at the expense of others.

Begin taking better care of employees instead of only the shareholders and executives.

9. XBRL Specialist

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Consistent pay check and discount on public transportation

Cons

The management has no experience in managing professional. Negative work environment.

10. RR Donnelley. Plainfield, indiana

Current Employee - Receiving Clerk in Plainfield, IN
    Current Employee - Receiving Clerk in Plainfield, IN

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They hire anyone! Over time during peak. Smoke break area. People are okay. Nothing really a pro with this company unless you don't speak English.

Cons

low pay. No 401k. No bonus. Just a crap job. No order. The only NON union rrd. HR doesn't care about the employee. Two breaks 15 and 20 minutes (not allowed to leave)

Let the union in!

11. went downhill after RRD purchased Perry Judds

Former Employee - Distribution Specialist in Strasburg, VA
    Former Employee - Distribution Specialist in Strasburg, VA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

close to home is all I've got

Cons

poor management on all levels, no hope for advancements, no employee dedication, no incentive for employees

pay attention