R.R. Donnelley

Be The First To
Add Photos

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III

Tom Quinlan III

Pros:
  • "Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual"
    in 10 reviews
  • "needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "No 401K match, stock options, bonus etc"
    in 17 reviews
  • "frequent rotational shifts disturbs our work life balance"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good place to work, but not when you want day shift hours...

ProsMoney is good, good people to work with. Easy work.

ConsAnyone can get a job on 2nd shift or 3rd shift... very VERY hard to get on day shift.

Not what you would think they should be.

Bindery Machine Operator (Former Employee)
    Bolingbrook, IL

ProsA big name global company.

ConsThis company only cares about their shareholders and not their employees. They never choose managers and supervisors with correct experience or background. They only hire their buddies so they can collect on a finders fee. This company is much to corrupt to consider if you have a career in your field. The managers and supervisors stay out of sight and do very little because they never have an answer or a solution and that is because of the lack of background and experience. RRD does not teach. If you are polished they can't use you or won't use you because they are very insecure. They rather point the finger and argue about nonsense then work as a team. This company will dummy down the most intelligent people. This company is always hiring. Usually they already have someone chosen but, they only go through the formality of posting the jobs.
    They do not promote internally because of lack of knowledge and experience in the next levels. This big company will and has become just a job. I know of some that have worked for this company over 25 years and have never been promoted to anything else other then what they started as, and they are paid like they are slight idiots and not employees of 25 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is only concerned about keeping their own jobs. They will never care about the company, team, moving ahead and progressing to a higher level. To much corruption all around. It will never stop until you clean house and correctly interview and correctly place your talent to the correct job.

No career growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPoor leadership in my team which led demotivation

ConsWork life balance is really awesome

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good company to work for

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
    Chennai (India)

ProsYou will get enough time for yourself an for family.

ConsWeekend calling should not happen

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't call for weekend .

One of the worst professional experiences of my sales career

Inside Sales (Former Employee)
    Lewisville, TX

ProsSome of the people within the inside sales division were very friendly and well knowledgeable for the industry they are in.

ConsSystems, procedures, policies, business practices, and everything in between was horribly disorganized. We were constantly told to quote lead times that were never going to get met, and asked to sell print jobs below margins just to get the sale. Commissions were never accurate. The insurance coverage offered was laughable at best.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart really listening to your employee's and customer's needs and then execute a plan to meet those needs. Stop basing all decision making of the fact that being the biggest makes you automatically the best. Strive to actually be the best.

Yuck. Yusk. Yuck.

Quality Control (Former Employee)
    Neenah, WI

ProsCan't think of any. Never a good moment in this hell-hole.

ConsToo many to list. Management sucks, bad pay, no benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease quit and ley some other people try their luck

the darkside

Manager (Former Employee)
    New York, NY

Prosa job, employees can be good to work with.

Consno security , you are a number, middle management only looks at numbers. I feel sorry for clients. No real sense of team.

Advice to Senior Managementstart to think about the client and stop looking at just numbers. You need to speak to clients an get their view and just how frustrating it can be for them.

Terrible Benefits - Wish CEO and Board would get a clue about the 401k

ProsNice people, good work, committed to safety

ConsBenefits, benefits, benefits!! Been mentioned several times before, but the company several years ago did away with the pension plan. That is fine, a lot of companies did, and pensions were bankrupting companies. I understand. They discontinued the pension and replaced it with a 401k match, which they promptly did away with a year or so later. What a bait and switch! That is terrible!!! For a company of this size to NOT have a 401k match makes them uncompetitive for recruiting and retaining people. It also feels exceptionally greedy from the top level - the board and the CEO keep getting their raises and bonuses; bet they don't wonder how they will make ends meet when they retire.

Significant staff reductions and employee turnover make for long work hours and pressure for those left behind. The constant "do more with less". Then to get rewarded with a 0-1% raise annually.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a work environment where people want to stay. Make people feel like their service to RRD is valuable. Reward them for their service with raises that at least keep up with the cost of living. And for God's Sakes, reinstate the 401k matching.

Good company to work for

Software Tester & Developer (Former Employee)

ProsGood employees and excellent office work environment

ConsI did an internship and the pay was slightly lower than I expected

Doesn't really nurture aspirations.

Machine Operator (Current Employee)
    Breinigsville, PA

ProsPay was the best I ever had, but I had low standards to begin with, and next to the industry average it was terribly "meh" so I wouldn't really consider it a 'pro'. Personally, I enjoy the pay, but that’s it. It was not enough to keep me actually loyal to or interested in the company. I tried and was assertive for a good while, but the more I looked around at the company the more disheartened I became.
    If you're in the offices, you're probably ok, but if you're anywhere else and aren't an authority figure you're pretty much treated as a grunt.

ConsI wanna say a lot about this, but being a current employee it'll put my job at risk, because yes management's had meetings about bad reviews from former employees on other sites, so I don't doubt there will be repercussions for me saying what actually needs to be said here. And to actually say it through their open door policy will be looked at as me having an "attitude" or dismissed like all of it seems to be.
    Hopefully I can edit this once I'm secure elsewhere.
    For now though, best I can say is there's a lot of outdated and damaged essential equipment, lotta shady temps that disrespect the facilities, and a lot of employees with poor work ethic. Certain authority figures hide problems from others for their own gain, and overtime is extremely abused.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some of that profit you keep telling the employees about at the quarterly meetings, quit buying OTHER companies or giving unwarranted bonus' to the board members, and invest it in things that actually make a difference to your current one. There are computer systems out on the production floor literally older than some of your employees. A mere smartphone has more kick than some of the stuff hooked up to some of your printers. And many of said printers are pushing low quality because they're in similar/poor condition, making them high maintenance. Treating your good employees well and providing them with adequate and up to date equipment and computer systems, as well as keeping the place clean will boost production and reduce downtime immeasurably. Take your bad employees and get rid of them (this includes a lot of management). Make some sort of pay incentive program to get work done ASAP, and not just sitting till or after the due date. Update your job tracking and issuing systems. Provide an anonymous peer review system to better weed out favoritism and/or poor employees. In short, respect your assets, expel/fix your liabilities, and quit operating it like a 'get rich quick' mechanism.

Worked for R.R. Donnelley? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at R.R. Donnelley reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for R.R. Donnelley CEO Tom Quinlan III. All 395 reviews posted anonymously by R.R. Donnelley employees.