R.R. Donnelley Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014

2.7

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III
Tom Quinlan III

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual (in 11 reviews)

• needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • frequent rotational shifts disturbs our work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Unless you are "buddy buddy" with upper management you will not advance (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Great work culture and good work life balance

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Chennai (India)

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Work life balance, diversified business

Cons

slow growth, unrelated businesses in Asia

need better focus on long term strategy and vision

Worst employer

Former Employee - Graphic Designer  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time

Pros

You get a regular paycheck and the people I worked with (other than management) were friendly. Good overtime policy and overtime pay.

Cons

My manager was constantly looking over my shoulder (she would literally stand behind me and watch what I was doing!). Management doesn't seem to care about the workers.

Increase starting salary so a single income household could provide for their family. Treat employees with respect. Better insurance availability.

Mature company in a mature industry

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Financially stable with a true global reach. The possibilities are endless with the right leadership.

Cons

It is a mature industry with a true corporate culture where all significant action is driven from the top. There is a lot of concern with what the company will become. There is a constant and focus on reducing cost and outsourcing functions which is stressful and dysfunctional to entire organization.

Focus more on straightening the company capabilities and future product offering. Improve employees engagement by including them in the building of the "New RRD". Less organizational focus on cost reductions and more on future.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Corporation Ruled by HR

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Most of the people I worked with are excellent people who are motivated, hardworking, and loyal. The pay is ... okay, but the stability is nice.

Cons

HR's corporate bureaucracy overrules any considerations of job performance, etc.

Poor IT systems and under resourced headcount made the work experience not so enjoyable

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at R.R. Donnelley as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The people were nice and I had a very positive understanding boss. Some interesting projects took place during my time here.

Cons

Poor IT systems and some convoluted workflow practices. The industry is in an older sector so not inspiring like newer industry sectors where I previously worked. The company runs on tight margins and is understaffed in certain departments leading to long work hours.

CEO Made $8 million last year

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get a paycheck and the company has a solid business model.

Cons

1% merit increases across the board in 2013, no 401k match, no training whatsoever, the worst health benefits I have ever seen. Almost everyone is miserable because there is no sense of team/family and why would there be with the is "benefits" package. This is a giant corporation only trying to please shareholders and those lucky enough to be bonus recipients. Salaries are nowhere near adequate to hire top talent. Hard to see the top C-level Execs making millions at the expense of all those responsible for the companies earnings. A trued CEO would do something about this.

People are smart and notice what is going on. You can't tell the company that you care about your employees but then do nothing to backup that claim. Restore the 401k, improve the health plan dramatically, and everyone deserves 2-3% cost of living increases at a minimum, 1% is an insult to even the dimmest persons intelligence.

Eh

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Big company with global presence

Cons

Big company with global presence

Ive seen a lot of underpaid positions and lack of advancement which has lead to losing talent on all levels. Competitive salary and benefits would help attract the best employees as well as motivate current workforce. Growth will not continue without them and your current workforce isnt getting any younger....

Very unprofessional.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

One would think this being a fortune 500 company but, not at all so.

Cons

Very unorganized, unprofessional. Management often hides until they come out looking to harass or fire someone. Management can't help the newest of employees. terrible communication. This plant has a HUGE turn over. They are always hiring. In a short time employees are used and abused and bring on another one. Long 12 hour shifts. Terrible environment with people, management, way to hot in the summer, fans with extension cords all over just blowing hot air around. In the winter you will need to wear a jacket. Advancement is reserved for friends of management. This is a waste of time. If you wish to grow with a company, it won't happen here.

Disconnect from lower and upper management selling them that all is wonderful.

Great place to start.

Current Employee - Ldp Associate
    Current Employee - Ldp Associate

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

RRD is a global company and there are several opportunities for advancement if you are willing to relocate. You will have to be patient and put in your time. Decisions are not made quickly.

Cons

Being in the manufacturing industry means that money is tight. There are not a lot of perks like PTO, raises, or benefits.

Increase starting salary. Increase amount of vacation days. Invest more capital in the business to continue growth.

Mediocre

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent hours and friendly people

Cons

Terrible benefits, very set in their ways, no room to grow

Consider additional challenges for staff

Worked for R.R. Donnelley? Contribute to the Community!