R.R. Donnelley

Updated December 13, 2014
2.6

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III
Tom Quinlan III

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual (in 15 reviews)

• needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, poor application of IT technology, no 401K match last several years (in 25 reviews)

• The work-life balance was good as I worked for an agent of the corporate structure-Donnelley Logistics (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

The people you work with are the best part of the job

Current Employee - IT Manager
    Current Employee - IT Manager

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

It is an alright place to work. Most of the employees are fun to work with and want to do a good job. Review process is good. Compensation is average.

Cons

Benefits have gone down significantly, with no 401k matching and minimal raises across the board. HR seems out of touch with the needs of the employees.

A total letdown company.

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours if needed. In the past there "were" opportunities to help out other teams within the company and travel to do so.

Cons

Poor benefits. 401k matching gone! No bonuses whatsoever for quite a few years now! no raises in the past few years! Not even an increase in pay to help with inflation! Poor morale for employees! If you have an issue and wish to speak to Human Resources about it, it is not kept confidential! Employees milk the company when they can due to lack of proper management. Employees on salary have been allowed to miss numerous days with pay and not be noticed or get caught, been happening for years. No relocation allowance/package available for employees wanting to seek out better opportunities within the company. Too many employees not being recognized for their strengths and others being promoted for no reason whatsoever. Company keeps growing and acquiring new businesses using hard earned employee's funds basically, by means from employee's deserved raises, bonuses and 401k matching.

Need to see that morale is quite low at times due to lack of management and poor opportunities within the company. Need to recognize strengths and weaknesses of others. Takes too long to rid a company of destructive and underperforming employees due to lack of management.

very good experience

Current Employee - Financial Associate in Chennai (India)
    Current Employee - Financial Associate in Chennai (India)

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

excellence working environment , less pressure of work

Cons

no better hike in salary

improve the scope for invention, there are lots of manipulation if employee having some ideas

very good company,

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

excellent working environment,no pressure,easy work

Cons

very less hike on its pay

provide scope for invention

Alright Work Enviorment

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

A lot of areas to work withing, various industries all under one RRD umbrellla

Cons

Each division is like its own desperate company. What they do in Logistics, they don't do in Printing etc. Each office has its own culture, but moving between them is expected to be easy.

Operation Clerk One

Current Employee - Operation Clerk One in York, PA
    Current Employee - Operation Clerk One in York, PA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Steady work is appreciated during a difficult economic times, which I appreciate. The company is located within a reasonable driving distance from my home. I like my working day shift and the hours work for my home life which are 8 am to 4 pm.

Cons

Stagnant pay, lack of advancement for personal growth, no reimbursement job related training/education and the health benefits with low pay do not meet my personal needs

Always recognize and appreciate good workers

Not invested in employees

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Salaries are competitive. The company supports diversity in a way most companies do not.

Cons

This company is not very concerned about employee growth or morale.

Wonderful coworkers but terrible incentives/management

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful coworkers and the work can be quite interesting and satisfying.

Cons

No 401k match. Terrible health/dental insurance. Awful bonuses. No real incentive to keep working harder and harder. Management doesn't listen to employee concerns. Poor work/life balance.

Listen to your employees. Give them better compensation and let them know about way to move up in the company.

Distribution Specialist

Former Employee - Distribution Specialist in Strasburg, VA
    Former Employee - Distribution Specialist in Strasburg, VA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Only pro would be the people that I worked with for 14 years.

Cons

Where do I begin, RRD bought us and everything went downhill. They began to let people go, added work to the rest, demanded no mistakes, took away all of the fun and or helpful things employees would do for one another IE: we would have bake sales or lunches with the money going to people who were out with illness or injuries, the money would pay their insurance, atmosphere and moral died. Insurance cost went through the roof!!!!

Grow some and support your people, stop worrying about sucking up. Make your employees feel worth your time, pretend they have a future even if they are not the hand selected chosen ones.

Corporate culture FAIL...

Current Employee - IT Engineer III
    Current Employee - IT Engineer III

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My boss is awesome, and the technology base is varied. Exposure to a wide range of different clouds and infrastructure. The work-life balance in my team is fantastic.

Cons

The pay sucks. The corporate culture sucks. The promotions are non-existant. The bureaucracy is immense. HR is a joke. The last 3 years have seen increased benefits cost increases that outstrip the pay raises, so essentially that's a pay cut 3 years running. In a dying industry (printing) this behemoth is clinging to any method of making money, including giving authority to any sales rep who makes a buck to demand whatever they want with impunity. Their M.O. is to cut costs by 3% a year, and they been doing it so long they're well through the fat, muscle, and bone and are on to the marrow.

All of you should quit and replace yourselves with people (not automatons) who actually care about corporate culture and consider the employees more important than the dividend. Pay attention to the general unhappiness of the average employee. Invest in US not your bottom line. Get rid of equity based pay and motivate the top tier to make working here better not the shareholders richer.

R.R. Donnelley Photos