R.R. Donnelley

Be The First To
Add Photos

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III

Tom Quinlan III

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual (in 11 reviews)

• needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • frequent rotational shifts disturbs our work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Unless you are "buddy buddy" with upper management you will not advance (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to learn

Software Developer (Current Employee) Chennai (India)

ProsOne can learn a lot and get good exposure towards new technology

Consnot that I know of

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up your good work

I'm in my early 40's and feel like I'm ready to retire...

Software (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat work/life balance. Can work from home. Little to no oversight by my supervisor...I go months without speaking to her. (knock, knock) never hear of layoffs. Work load is usually light. Supervisors and senior management in my department are really nice people who I would enjoy putting my best food forward for if everything else in the company wasn't so horrendous.

ConsNo career progression. No career path. No employee feed back. No 401K match. Dental plan costs $1,000 a year. Health insurance kicks in AFTER you meet a $6,500 deductible. Premiums went up 37% last year. Universal 1% annual raises. Annual bonuses are $300 across the entire company. Corporate morale is horrendous. No parties, happy hour, company sponsored events, etc. The only corporate correspond sent are about occupational safety (I have a desk job) or some HR-sponsored "get fit" campaigns. No allotted sick days. Takes FOREVER to get anything done and way too much red tape to pass through.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour company breeds apathy, not success. There is literally no incentive for me to care about this company or its success. Our HR portal mentions retiree pensions.....you don't even provide a 401K company match for your current employees! My bonus from a non-F500 company in 2004 was DOUBLE the bonus I got from RRD in 2014...and I was earning half the salary at the time!

This is NOT F500 material. I'm embarrassed to tell people I work for this company.

Better than most transportation companies.

Dispatcher (Current Employee)

ProsNice people for the most part.

ConsGlass ceiling depending on certain aspects, sometimes not quite fair..

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more internal employees for open positions than you do.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working hard for pennies

Laser Print Operator (Current Employee) West Caldwell, NJ

ProsThe work keeps you busy and your always learning.

ConsManagement does not communicate. Making 13.40 an hour with 15 yrs on the job. Working with people with less time on the job making 20+ an hour. And I am expected to produce Lol lol.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen listen listen. Management wants you to do what they can't do if they were in your shoes.

Fair to partly cloudy.

Developer (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

ProsUse of multiple technologies allowed.

ConsCorporate overhead can be a bit much.

Bindery - Easy work if you don't mind repetition.

Feeder (Current Employee) Lancaster, PA

ProsMost of the co-workers and supervisors are friendly. Fine place to work if you don't mind repeatedly doing the same exact same thing for an entire 8 hour shift.

ConsWorking in the bindery becomes quite a drag after a few short weeks. The job does not require you to know or learn any specific skills. Most of the time you are doing the same thing over and over, which is loading lifts of product into the bindery machines. Work day is slow because of the mundane work that you are required to do. Not very challenging at all. If you work full-time there is always a good chance that you will be forced to work overtime on any given day. You are required to work every other weekend. Not much room for advancement in the Bindery department. You can become an Assistant Operator and then an Operator, that is it as far as I'm aware.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire a few extra bodies so you don't have to constantly force employees who do not want to work overtime, to work overtime.

Office staff

Anonymous (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsWork life balance, good colleagues and understanding superior, idea place for retirement

ConsLimited benefit, poor bonus (few hundred buck even company make a lot profit), poor increment, no career advancement opportunity

Advice to Senior ManagementSometime the person who speak loudest doesn't mean he is right, pls judge by your common sense

Low Salary

Research Associate (Former Employee) Chennai (India)

ProsFriendly Collegues and low work pressure. Never Stretched beyond working hours

ConsStringent rules and low salary package. Fear of getting sacked when the project is closed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe Lenient to the employees

Good money but a lot of overtime!

Material Handler (Former Employee) Mattoon, IL

ProsVery good pay. Most of the people are not bad to work with and three half hour breaks in an eight hour shift.

ConsVery long hours!!! 12 hour shifts constantly and a lot of working weekends. It leaves no time to spend with your family.

People and atmosphere are terrific but benefits are awful.

Information Technology (Current Employee) Warrenville, IL

ProsForward thinking leadership
    Nice office atmosphere (Corporate)
    Turnover/acquiaitions provides frequent opportunities for diversity

ConsBelow standard salaries across the board
    Health Benefits as poor as industry offers
    HR support is very inconsistent but generally quite poor
    No financial benefits, although 401K is mentioned as possible but hasn't been restored for years

Advice to Senior ManagementI am in management with the company and I understand that the poor profit margain of most services leads to running very lean operations. You could pay people their market value but hurt the company or you can pay them what you can get away with and hurt the employees. The only answer is to transition the company to services that support greater benefits to the employees

Worked for R.R. Donnelley? Contribute to the Community!