R.R. Donnelley

Updated December 13, 2014
2.6

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III
Tom Quinlan III

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual (in 15 reviews)

• needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, poor application of IT technology, no 401K match last several years (in 25 reviews)

• The work-life balance was good as I worked for an agent of the corporate structure-Donnelley Logistics (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Operation Clerk One

Current Employee - Operation Clerk One in York, PA
    Current Employee - Operation Clerk One in York, PA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Steady work is appreciated during a difficult economic times, which I appreciate. The company is located within a reasonable driving distance from my home. I like my working day shift and the hours work for my home life which are 8 am to 4 pm.

Cons

Stagnant pay, lack of advancement for personal growth, no reimbursement job related training/education and the health benefits with low pay do not meet my personal needs

Always recognize and appreciate good workers

Corporate culture FAIL...

Current Employee - IT Engineer III
    Current Employee - IT Engineer III

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My boss is awesome, and the technology base is varied. Exposure to a wide range of different clouds and infrastructure. The work-life balance in my team is fantastic.

Cons

The pay sucks. The corporate culture sucks. The promotions are non-existant. The bureaucracy is immense. HR is a joke. The last 3 years have seen increased benefits cost increases that outstrip the pay raises, so essentially that's a pay cut 3 years running. In a dying industry (printing) this behemoth is clinging to any method of making money, including giving authority to any sales rep who makes a buck to demand whatever they want with impunity. Their M.O. is to cut costs by 3% a year, and they been doing it so long they're well through the fat, muscle, and bone and are on to the marrow.

All of you should quit and replace yourselves with people (not automatons) who actually care about corporate culture and consider the employees more important than the dividend. Pay attention to the general unhappiness of the average employee. Invest in US not your bottom line. Get rid of equity based pay and motivate the top tier to make working here better not the shareholders richer.

Distribution Specialist

Former Employee - Distribution Specialist in Strasburg, VA
    Former Employee - Distribution Specialist in Strasburg, VA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Only pro would be the people that I worked with for 14 years.

Cons

Where do I begin, RRD bought us and everything went downhill. They began to let people go, added work to the rest, demanded no mistakes, took away all of the fun and or helpful things employees would do for one another IE: we would have bake sales or lunches with the money going to people who were out with illness or injuries, the money would pay their insurance, atmosphere and moral died. Insurance cost went through the roof!!!!

Grow some and support your people, stop worrying about sucking up. Make your employees feel worth your time, pretend they have a future even if they are not the hand selected chosen ones.

Nothing in common with the proud old company it once was.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Spartanburg, SC
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Spartanburg, SC

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

No good reasons come to mind.

Cons

The left hand has no clue what the right hand is doing.

You can't keep taking away and taking away and taking away all the things that once upon a time made this a good place to work.

Very good

Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good vision and direction. Expansion possible. Biggest company in the industry.

Cons

No 401K match; long hours in an industry with several issues.

A very diverse company atmosphere to be apart of.

Current Employee - Logistics in Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Logistics in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You learn a lot about the transportation industry. You can take and wealth of knowledge you learn at Donnelly and get hired just about anywhere.

Cons

Salaries now aren't what they use to be.

A better growth and development plan is needed at every level and not just at the mid-managment level.

Mature company in a mature industry

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Warrenville, IL
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Warrenville, IL

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Decent company -- It is a manufacturing in the 21st century. Although the company is making quite a lot of money, it is not shared with employees (in terms of raises / bonuses).

Cons

No real promotions. Benefits are middling to bad...
    There's quite a bit of stagnation at the company (i.e. people been there for a long time and happy to be there).

Share some of those profits with your current employees -- Stop buy companies.

Donnelley

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company is large and stable. The have lots of product offerings. Great people to work with.

Cons

Micromanaged and overworked at times

N/A

Used to be a good place to work, but things change.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was certainly good, and the company is quite large. Despite some departments downsizing, others were growing and prevented quite a few skilled labor positions from being eliminated.

Cons

Management and the corporate culture is simply bad. This company is a majority employer in the area and it used to be a respected place to work. Management simply killed it, and the culture is one of fear and "at least you have a job" types of attitudes. Poor management decisions created even more unqualified managers and has turned the company into a sinking ship trying to stay afloat in a dying industry. Benefits regularly decreased. Pension dropped, 401k options diminished, and health benefits that rival non-group coverage.

Likely past the point of no return. This is a company whose sole focus is on shareholders and trying to stay relevant while making employment a revolving door of inexperience and no skill. Complete passiveness regarding skilled labor from management with no experience in printing whose only effective tool to keep decent employees being "You have no other choice". None of this is a secret, it's how the company operates.

Losing and closing?

Current Employee - Desk Jockey in Plover, WI
    Current Employee - Desk Jockey in Plover, WI

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the people originally hired by Banta are friendly and outgoing, wonderful to work with.

Cons

Pay is mediocre at best, impoverishing at worst. Instead of focusing on the plants they do have, they keep acquiring other businesses, and then tell the employees we have no money for things like pay increases to keep with inflation, or bonuses that used to be in excess of 1000/month, and are now lucky to be 100.00 after paying for insurance/taxes. They are progressively discharging anyone who is close to retirement, or earns anywhere close to what they should be for the stressors involved, and it feels excessively like they are purposefully attempting to sink this ship- we had a sudden increase in business and now we have nobody to fulfill the positions required to complete it at 100% quality.

Screw Management, they know exactly what they're doing. Advice to anyone else: Get out while you still can.

R.R. Donnelley Photos