R.R. Donnelley

Updated September 11, 2014
2.7

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III
Tom Quinlan III

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual (in 11 reviews)

• needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • frequent rotational shifts disturbs our work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Unless you are "buddy buddy" with upper management you will not advance (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Mediocre

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for less than a year

Pros

Decent hours and friendly people

Cons

Terrible benefits, very set in their ways, no room to grow

Consider additional challenges for staff

I'm in my early 40's and feel like I'm ready to retire...

Current Employee - Software  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software in New York, NY

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work/life balance. Can work from home. Little to no oversight by my supervisor...I go months without speaking to her. (knock, knock) never hear of layoffs. Work load is usually light. Supervisors and senior management in my department are really nice people who I would enjoy putting my best food forward for if everything else in the company wasn't so horrendous.

Cons

No career progression. No career path. No employee feed back. No 401K match. Dental plan costs $1,000 a year. Health insurance kicks in AFTER you meet a $6,500 deductible. Premiums went up 37% last year. Universal 1% annual raises. Annual bonuses are $300 across the entire company. Corporate morale is horrendous. No parties, happy hour, company sponsored events, etc. The only corporate correspond sent are about occupational safety (I have a desk job) or some HR-sponsored "get fit" campaigns. No allotted sick days. Takes FOREVER to get anything done and way too much red tape to pass through.

Your company breeds apathy, not success. There is literally no incentive for me to care about this company or its success. Our HR portal mentions retiree pensions.....you don't even provide a 401K company match for your current employees! My bonus from a non-F500 company in 2004 was DOUBLE the bonus I got from RRD in 2014...and I was earning half the salary at the time!

This is NOT F500 material. I'm embarrassed to tell people I work for this company.

Bindery - Easy work if you don't mind repetition.

Current Employee - Feeder  in  Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Feeder in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley part-time for more than a year

Pros

Most of the co-workers and supervisors are friendly. Fine place to work if you don't mind repeatedly doing the same exact same thing for an entire 8 hour shift.

Cons

Working in the bindery becomes quite a drag after a few short weeks. The job does not require you to know or learn any specific skills. Most of the time you are doing the same thing over and over, which is loading lifts of product into the bindery machines. Work day is slow because of the mundane work that you are required to do. Not very challenging at all. If you work full-time there is always a good chance that you will be forced to work overtime on any given day. You are required to work every other weekend. Not much room for advancement in the Bindery department. You can become an Assistant Operator and then an Operator, that is it as far as I'm aware.

Hire a few extra bodies so you don't have to constantly force employees who do not want to work overtime, to work overtime.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Established culture, nice people

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Logan, UT

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley as an intern for less than a year

Pros

This particular facility was full of extremely kind, experienced people that were willing to give their own time to help you progress in your position and career. Willing to work with school schedule and family responsibilities.

Cons

Potential limits to growth if not willing to relocate, as people seemed to stay for a long time at the company. .

Take a little more time to make the work facility more animated and lively. Was a bit drab and out of date, though not a big deal.

Good place to work, but not when you want day shift hours...

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Money is good, good people to work with. Easy work.

Cons

Anyone can get a job on 2nd shift or 3rd shift... very VERY hard to get on day shift.

Large company but recognize talent and focus on retention

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've been with RRD for almost 6 years and work in sales. The company is giant so mobility is tangible and they focus on keeping sales employees happy. Their acquisition strategy is robust, they're always looking to scoop up the big opportunities, which only strengthen their value proposition.

Cons

Compensation for sales is limitless on the commission payment structure. Compensation for those not in sales tends to be on the low side. This creates a palatable dichotomy between sales and production and individual facilities. I'ts quite common as far as the industry goes though.

Focus on sales training and continuous learning programs.

CEO Made $8 million last year

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get a paycheck and the company has a solid business model.

Cons

1% merit increases across the board in 2013, no 401k match, no training whatsoever, the worst health benefits I have ever seen. Almost everyone is miserable because there is no sense of team/family and why would there be with the is "benefits" package. This is a giant corporation only trying to please shareholders and those lucky enough to be bonus recipients. Salaries are nowhere near adequate to hire top talent. Hard to see the top C-level Execs making millions at the expense of all those responsible for the companies earnings. A trued CEO would do something about this.

People are smart and notice what is going on. You can't tell the company that you care about your employees but then do nothing to backup that claim. Restore the 401k, improve the health plan dramatically, and everyone deserves 2-3% cost of living increases at a minimum, 1% is an insult to even the dimmest persons intelligence.

Very unprofessional.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bolingbrook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bolingbrook, IL

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

One would think this being a fortune 500 company but, not at all so.

Cons

Very unorganized, unprofessional. Management often hides until they come out looking to harass or fire someone. Management can't help the newest of employees. terrible communication. This plant has a HUGE turn over. They are always hiring. In a short time employees are used and abused and bring on another one. Long 12 hour shifts. Terrible environment with people, management, way to hot in the summer, fans with extension cords all over just blowing hot air around. In the winter you will need to wear a jacket. Advancement is reserved for friends of management. This is a waste of time. If you wish to grow with a company, it won't happen here.

Disconnect from lower and upper management selling them that all is wonderful.

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Software Tester & Developer
    Former Employee - Software Tester & Developer

I worked at R.R. Donnelley as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Good employees and excellent office work environment

Cons

I did an internship and the pay was slightly lower than I expected

Working hard for pennies

Current Employee - Laser Print Operator  in  West Caldwell, NJ
    Current Employee - Laser Print Operator in West Caldwell, NJ

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The work keeps you busy and your always learning.

Cons

Management does not communicate. Making 13.40 an hour with 15 yrs on the job. Working with people with less time on the job making 20+ an hour. And I am expected to produce Lol lol.

Listen listen listen. Management wants you to do what they can't do if they were in your shoes.

Worked for R.R. Donnelley? Contribute to the Community!