R.R. Donnelley

Updated October 19, 2014
2.7

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III
Tom Quinlan III

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual (in 14 reviews)

• needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • No 401K match, stock options, bonus etc (in 24 reviews)

• The work-life balance was good as I worked for an agent of the corporate structure-Donnelley Logistics (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst employer

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time

Pros

You get a regular paycheck and the people I worked with (other than management) were friendly. Good overtime policy and overtime pay.

Cons

My manager was constantly looking over my shoulder (she would literally stand behind me and watch what I was doing!). Management doesn't seem to care about the workers.

Increase starting salary so a single income household could provide for their family. Treat employees with respect. Better insurance availability.

Corporation Ruled by HR

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Most of the people I worked with are excellent people who are motivated, hardworking, and loyal. The pay is ... okay, but the stability is nice.

Cons

HR's corporate bureaucracy overrules any considerations of job performance, etc.

Mediocre

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent hours and friendly people

Cons

Terrible benefits, very set in their ways, no room to grow

Consider additional challenges for staff

I'm in my early 40's and feel like I'm ready to retire...

Current Employee - Software in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Software in New York, NY

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. Can work from home. Little to no oversight by my supervisor...I go months without speaking to her. (knock, knock) never hear of layoffs. Work load is usually light. Supervisors and senior management in my department are really nice people who I would enjoy putting my best food forward for if everything else in the company wasn't so horrendous.

Cons

No career progression. No career path. No employee feed back. No 401K match. Dental plan costs $1,000 a year. Health insurance kicks in AFTER you meet a $6,500 deductible. Premiums went up 37% last year. Universal 1% annual raises. Annual bonuses are $300 across the entire company. Corporate morale is horrendous. No parties, happy hour, company sponsored events, etc. The only corporate correspond sent are about occupational safety (I have a desk job) or some HR-sponsored "get fit" campaigns. No allotted sick days. Takes FOREVER to get anything done and way too much red tape to pass through.

Your company breeds apathy, not success. There is literally no incentive for me to care about this company or its success. Our HR portal mentions retiree pensions.....you don't even provide a 401K company match for your current employees! My bonus from a non-F500 company in 2004 was DOUBLE the bonus I got from RRD in 2014...and I was earning half the salary at the time!

This is NOT F500 material. I'm embarrassed to tell people I work for this company.

Bindery - Easy work if you don't mind repetition.

Current Employee - Feeder in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Feeder in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most of the co-workers and supervisors are friendly. Fine place to work if you don't mind repeatedly doing the same exact same thing for an entire 8 hour shift.

Cons

Working in the bindery becomes quite a drag after a few short weeks. The job does not require you to know or learn any specific skills. Most of the time you are doing the same thing over and over, which is loading lifts of product into the bindery machines. Work day is slow because of the mundane work that you are required to do. Not very challenging at all. If you work full-time there is always a good chance that you will be forced to work overtime on any given day. You are required to work every other weekend. Not much room for advancement in the Bindery department. You can become an Assistant Operator and then an Operator, that is it as far as I'm aware.

Hire a few extra bodies so you don't have to constantly force employees who do not want to work overtime, to work overtime.

Good money but a lot of overtime!

Former Employee - Material Handler in Mattoon, IL
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Mattoon, IL

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very good pay. Most of the people are not bad to work with and three half hour breaks in an eight hour shift.

Cons

Very long hours!!! 12 hour shifts constantly and a lot of working weekends. It leaves no time to spend with your family.

Good place to work, but not when you want day shift hours...

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Money is good, good people to work with. Easy work.

Cons

Anyone can get a job on 2nd shift or 3rd shift... very VERY hard to get on day shift.

Large company but recognize talent and focus on retention

Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I've been with RRD for almost 6 years and work in sales. The company is giant so mobility is tangible and they focus on keeping sales employees happy. Their acquisition strategy is robust, they're always looking to scoop up the big opportunities, which only strengthen their value proposition.

Cons

Compensation for sales is limitless on the commission payment structure. Compensation for those not in sales tends to be on the low side. This creates a palatable dichotomy between sales and production and individual facilities. I'ts quite common as far as the industry goes though.

Focus on sales training and continuous learning programs.

Established culture, nice people

Current Employee - Project Manager in Logan, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Logan, UT

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

This particular facility was full of extremely kind, experienced people that were willing to give their own time to help you progress in your position and career. Willing to work with school schedule and family responsibilities.

Cons

Potential limits to growth if not willing to relocate, as people seemed to stay for a long time at the company. .

Take a little more time to make the work facility more animated and lively. Was a bit drab and out of date, though not a big deal.

CEO Made $8 million last year

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get a paycheck and the company has a solid business model.

Cons

1% merit increases across the board in 2013, no 401k match, no training whatsoever, the worst health benefits I have ever seen. Almost everyone is miserable because there is no sense of team/family and why would there be with the is "benefits" package. This is a giant corporation only trying to please shareholders and those lucky enough to be bonus recipients. Salaries are nowhere near adequate to hire top talent. Hard to see the top C-level Execs making millions at the expense of all those responsible for the companies earnings. A trued CEO would do something about this.

People are smart and notice what is going on. You can't tell the company that you care about your employees but then do nothing to backup that claim. Restore the 401k, improve the health plan dramatically, and everyone deserves 2-3% cost of living increases at a minimum, 1% is an insult to even the dimmest persons intelligence.