R.R. Donnelley

Profile Unclaimed

RR Donnelley. Plainfield, indiana

Current Employee - Receiving Clerk in Plainfield, IN
    Current Employee - Receiving Clerk in Plainfield, IN

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They hire anyone! Over time during peak. Smoke break area. People are okay. Nothing really a pro with this company unless you don't speak English.

Cons

low pay. No 401k. No bonus. Just a crap job. No order. The only NON union rrd. HR doesn't care about the employee. Two breaks 15 and 20 minutes (not allowed to leave)

Let the union in!

House of cliques

Former Contractor - Photographer in Seattle, WA
    Former Contractor - Photographer in Seattle, WA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Got a couple nice portfolio pieces from working there

Cons

If your not cool, than your not cool enough to work here.

Stop being so passive aggressive.

Great environment, poor place to work

Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Technical Analyst in Logan, UT

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people were great to work with. Fellow employees were always willing to help and point me in the right direction when I had any questions. After leaving the company, the only thing I miss is the friendship of the people I worked with there.
        The one other good thing about my time with RR Donnelley was that they were very flexible with my school schedule. Although just before I left, I was told that there would be less tolerance for my school schedule because it was straining relationships with project managers because of my less than immediate availability. I was required to work during class much of the time and it had a negative effect on my coursework.

Cons

The cons of this job were many.

SALARY:
        To start off with, my salary of $50,000 was actually fairly decent for an entry-level full-time position, but the reason it was offered to me at that amount is because it's generally understood that there are very few, if any raises and I knew that if I continued there, that would likely be my salary for the remainder of my time there.

PROGRAMMING:
        As a Technical Analyst (Programmer), this job is very lacking in opportunities to really use creative solutions to problems. The programming languages used are next to obsolete and I felt like I was digging myself into a deeper and deeper hole there. I felt that the longer I stayed there, the further I was falling out of touch with technologies and languages that would make me more valuable to other career opportunities. Yes, I was getting better at the tools used at RR Donnelley, but thus, I was digging myself into a hole of staying longer and longer there without being able to leave.

WORK-LIFE BALANCE:
        The work-life balance was terrible. I understand that with current processes and technologies, there has to be a certain amount of overtime and working at home, but the amount of overtime with RR Donnelley was overwhelming. Often times, there was at least one or two days per week that I would work 12 or more hours in the office. Then about two to three times per month, I would work an 18 - 20 hour day in the office. That was just overtime in the office. In addition to that, I worked probably another 2-3 hours from home every other day. I also usually ended up working a couple hours most Saturdays and Sundays. When I mentioned that to the HR rep in my exit interview, he didn't seem surprised at all and basically told me that it was just the nature of a full-time job.

EMPLOYEE INVESTMENT:
        The company doesn't invest in its employees. Occasionally, we would have a barbecue for special occasions, but that was probably once every six months. The first computer they gave me to use cost a lot of time in waiting for things to load. Most of the time, webpages loaded one horizontal line at a time. I brought in my own keyboard because the one they gave me was really old and the keys were sticky. The only company branded things they gave me were a water bottle during safety week, and a t-shirt for their 150th anniversary that we were only allowed to wear to work for four days. Working there for a while made me feel like upper management didn't care about their employees very much at all.

MORALE:
        In general, the morale of the employees was very low. We were over worked and under appreciated. High turnover turned into higher workload and more people who were new and couldn't help with the big projects yet.

TRAINING:
        Training for new employees was pretty much non-existent. Most of the tools used were internally developed with little to no documentation, so it was very difficult to train oneself, but there were no resources to receive training either. My experience with training was terrible, but just before I left, there was some work on creating a better training program, so maybe that will be better for others starting with RR Donnelley.

Invest in your employees so that RR Donnelley is known as a good place to work for. If the employees feel wanted, they will do the work that is needed without feeling a grudge against the company. Then you will increase retention, and therefore, quality of employees and will also increase morale.

production assistant

Former Employee - Terrible
    Former Employee - Terrible

I worked at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

pay was ok not great

Cons

terrible since RRD took over no family values

The people you work with are the best part of the job

Current Employee - IT Manager
    Current Employee - IT Manager

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

It is an alright place to work. Most of the employees are fun to work with and want to do a good job. Review process is good. Compensation is average.

Cons

Benefits have gone down significantly, with no 401k matching and minimal raises across the board. HR seems out of touch with the needs of the employees.

worst ever

Current Employee - Xbrl Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Xbrl Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cannot think of any at this time

Cons

management, benefits, pay, micro-managed, no work-life balance

resign

Alright Work Enviorment

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

A lot of areas to work withing, various industries all under one RRD umbrellla

Cons

Each division is like its own desperate company. What they do in Logistics, they don't do in Printing etc. Each office has its own culture, but moving between them is expected to be easy.

Not a career for anybody with a head on their shoulders.

Current Employee - Material Handler in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time

Pros

The job itself is not too rough. If your looking for a paycheck every two weeks and don't care about benefits then it's the right job for you.

Cons

There is an incredible lack of care for the employee. They froze our pensions and 'replaced' it with a 401k match, then took that away from us a year or two later. They merged our merit raise for good work and cost of living raise into a generalized 1% raise. The insurance benefits are subpar. There is zero incentive for an employee to work harder or to make sure they are doing things that would benefit the company. They do have a bonus program, winshare, but I feel like they would be better off just ending it. It use to be nice, but now it's like a carrot on the end of a stick. It use to get morale up because there was a chance we would get it. Now we get to read about record profits for the company and we get either nothing or a minimal amount. I guess something is better than nothing but it's kind of a slap in the face personally compared to what they use to do. Many of the people in 'leadership' roles (ex. Pressmen, operators) are not leaders at all and actually seem to have a negative effect on work ethic. The HR department doesn't seem to be on the employee's side at all from people I've heard from and from my only time I had to use them.

Take care of your employees and I'm sure they would work harder for you. And don't use 'Well, it's corporate. There is nothing we can do about it.' Relay the message that gets brought up at meetings and on the floor about the 401k, universal raises, and the bonus programs.

Operating in Trouble Mode consistently and layoffs are NUMEROUS!

Former Employee - Manager-Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager-Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Good coworkers, great products, nice building

Cons

Poor management that is just chasing a profit goal. Every decision is based on eliminating headcount or reducing overhead. Benefits are horrible for a so called mega company. No 401k match or pension either.

No advice. They won't listen. They're too busy looking for another company to buy so they can fire 80% of the staff.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Offset Press Operator in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Offset Press Operator in Durham, NC

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay scale, some friendships and people in general will be missed. Loved printing!

Cons

Terrible management, no respect of employees, just a number.

Find another line of work!!!

R.R. Donnelley Photos