R.R. Donnelley Reviews

Updated August 24, 2014

2.7

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III
Tom Quinlan III

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual (in 11 reviews)

• needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • frequent rotational shifts disturbs our work life balance (in 14 reviews)

• Unless you are "buddy buddy" with upper management you will not advance (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Doesn't really nurture aspirations.

Current Employee - Machine Operator  in  Breinigsville, PA
    Current Employee - Machine Operator in Breinigsville, PA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Pay was the best I ever had, but I had low standards to begin with, and next to the industry average it was terribly "meh" so I wouldn't really consider it a 'pro'. Personally, I enjoy the pay, but that’s it. It was not enough to keep me actually loyal to or interested in the company. I tried and was assertive for a good while, but the more I looked around at the company the more disheartened I became.
    If you're in the offices, you're probably ok, but if you're anywhere else and aren't an authority figure you're pretty much treated as a grunt.

Cons

I wanna say a lot about this, but being a current employee it'll put my job at risk, because yes management's had meetings about bad reviews from former employees on other sites, so I don't doubt there will be repercussions for me saying what actually needs to be said here. And to actually say it through their open door policy will be looked at as me having an "attitude" or dismissed like all of it seems to be.
    Hopefully I can edit this once I'm secure elsewhere.
    For now though, best I can say is there's a lot of outdated and damaged essential equipment, lotta shady temps that disrespect the facilities, and a lot of employees with poor work ethic. Certain authority figures hide problems from others for their own gain, and overtime is extremely abused.

Take some of that profit you keep telling the employees about at the quarterly meetings, quit buying OTHER companies or giving unwarranted bonus' to the board members, and invest it in things that actually make a difference to your current one. There are computer systems out on the production floor literally older than some of your employees. A mere smartphone has more kick than some of the stuff hooked up to some of your printers. And many of said printers are pushing low quality because they're in similar/poor condition, making them high maintenance. Treating your good employees well and providing them with adequate and up to date equipment and computer systems, as well as keeping the place clean will boost production and reduce downtime immeasurably. Take your bad employees and get rid of them (this includes a lot of management). Make some sort of pay incentive program to get work done ASAP, and not just sitting till or after the due date. Update your job tracking and issuing systems. Provide an anonymous peer review system to better weed out favoritism and/or poor employees. In short, respect your assets, expel/fix your liabilities, and quit operating it like a 'get rich quick' mechanism.

Printing co printing press operator

I worked at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Union shop to protect those employee some what

Cons

No loyalty to employees long term employees mean nothing to them

Treat employees like people not numbers

Cell phone might have saved my job

Former Employee - Press Operator II  in  Visalia, CA
    Former Employee - Press Operator II in Visalia, CA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay was good...it was close to my house!!

Cons

No communication between anybody!! I had a lead guy telling me one thing...plant manager telling me another!! They talk about excessive cell phone use....but management can walk around using their phones!? Monkey see monkey do!

Needless to say that after 15 years of service with this co...I was let go because I came back from lunch late with no explanation at all! If Supervision would answer the phone...I still might be employed!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent Company to work for

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than a year

Pros

I worked in the Warrenville location, and it was for the most part a stress free, and supportive atmosphere.

Cons

If you are straight out of college, there won't be very many other employees your age, especially in the IT side.

Fantastic management.

Good place for transition

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Bolingbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bolingbrook, IL

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay is better than most CSR jobs. Salary employees have flexibility in schedule. The work is not difficult at all.

Cons

Management is not around unless they have bad news or you are in trouble. There is favoritism for senior employees that disrespect others and get away with it. Worst part of this place is the coworkers.

Show more appreciation to your employees. There are quite a few bad weeds that need to be pulled to help the company grow.

Ongoing change

Current Employee - Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Solid cashflow company. There are still a few managers who care about people as people

Cons

Uncertainty and Too much company debt

Nice people, reasonable expectations

Current Employee - Pre-Press Technician  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Pre-Press Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

The nice people and reasonable expectations, for two! Never felt like I was being overburdened, they understand that correcting photos is a time-consuming process and allot an appropriate amount of time for doing it.

Cons

It can be a bit slow, and like most places that work on photos with precision, you're in a dark room for most of the day. But that's the work itself, the work environment was quite nice.

Nothing really.

Not what it used to be

Current Employee - Technical Service Specialist  in  Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Technical Service Specialist in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Decent salary, long-term employment, ok benefits

Cons

Declining business in some units, management in some areas needs some work

Outstanding learning experience at RR Donnelley Research & Development

Former Employee - Engineering  in  Grand Island, NY
    Former Employee - Engineering in Grand Island, NY

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with top-notch engineers on the latest technologies. Very interesting research & development projects. Excellent compensation. Flexible work schedule with a laid-back atmosphere.

Cons

Printing industry is not doing so good these days. As a result, job security is not very good for new hires.

Need to operate more efficiently with the employees on hand. Too many people working unproductively.

Ok

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at R.R. Donnelley as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Nice people, Everyone was helpful and kind

Cons

Long Hours, Job will be replaced eventually, old ideas and culture prevented new ideas

Nice and thoughtful

Worked for R.R. Donnelley? Contribute to the Community!