R.R. Donnelley

Updated December 13, 2014
2.6

R.R. Donnelley President, CEO, and Director Tom Quinlan III
Tom Quinlan III

Pros
  • Work/life balance is very flexible and the office is very casual (in 15 reviews)

• needed a job the opportunity presented itself easy enough to learn good people that I (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • low pay, poor application of IT technology, no 401K match last several years (in 25 reviews)

• The work-life balance was good as I worked for an agent of the corporate structure-Donnelley Logistics (in 15 reviews)

More Highlights

Corporation Ruled by HR

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Most of the people I worked with are excellent people who are motivated, hardworking, and loyal. The pay is ... okay, but the stability is nice.

Cons

HR's corporate bureaucracy overrules any considerations of job performance, etc.

Eh

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Big company with global presence

Cons

Big company with global presence

Ive seen a lot of underpaid positions and lack of advancement which has lead to losing talent on all levels. Competitive salary and benefits would help attract the best employees as well as motivate current workforce. Growth will not continue without them and your current workforce isnt getting any younger....

Good pay, crappy management

Former Employee - Proofreader in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Proofreader in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The hours were flexible, especially helpful for someone going to school during the day. They have shifts all day and night, although the day shifts are reserved for those who have worked there the longest. The training was great (in my opinion, though I noticed others struggled a bit--older folks and those less comfortable with computers) and once trained you are thrown in with the rest. It's stressful at first but the shift leads are very helpful and always ready to share their knowledge.

Cons

The evening/night management was horrible. I felt like hiding whenever the manager came by even though I was a stellar employee. The manager made me feel like he would never be satisfied with your performance--kind of a twisted motivation technique which makes employees feel extremely under appreciated.

Ease off of the "never good enough, you may be fired tomorrow" tactics.

Ridiculous company to work for.

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent starting salary with serious caveats. See "cons"

Cons

Despite the decent starting salary I have never gotten a raise from this company even though I've never missed a day and have excelled at my job. 401k matching was no longer offered and their bonus program was never accessed even though our unit earned it. Now as a mature adult they think it's great idea to clock in/clock out for starting/ending your day and taking a strict one hour lunch. You will not be able to do anything that normal people get to do from mon-fri during work hours, like make phone calls, go to a doctors appointment, etc. Outside of that expect to be completely marginalized. Your ideas will not be used, your input will not be asked for and when given, also not used. Your career will end here.

Treasure your employees and get these people off of time management software. They waste time because it doesn't work and makes everyone crazy. Give raises. Honor your own bonus schedule. Treat those that are beneath the ceiling of management as valuable because they're doing the work that is making you the money you're using to buy other companies and be cheap with your employees. You have given the rank and file not a single reliable perk and for that you are hated by your own employees.....who really need the job you've given us. Sooooo....thanks? For the decent salary, lack of career path, advancement, no 401k matching, minimal 10 days vacation after all these years of employment, clocking in/out for the first time since I was 18 yrs old.

I'm selling my RRD stock immediately because I no longer believe in you. You are running this company, and worse, your employees into the ground. You'll survive because corporate America always wins....your employees will not survive.

Nice but needs organization

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at R.R. Donnelley as a contractor

Pros

I worked in the Atlanta creative office. The people are great. The location is great and the constant chic fil a coupons are a plus

Cons

Unrealistic views of what they are capable of. Project managers that have little experience in what it actually takes to execute a project.

Don't promise more than realistically possible in the clients time frame and budget. More communication between PMs and designers before talking to a client so everyone is on the same page. Try to get the client to stick to the timeline.

Good place to start

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time

Pros

150 year company, company programs

Cons

no growth, poor health benefits

train supervisors

Great place to start.

Current Employee - Ldp Associate
    Current Employee - Ldp Associate

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

RRD is a global company and there are several opportunities for advancement if you are willing to relocate. You will have to be patient and put in your time. Decisions are not made quickly.

Cons

Being in the manufacturing industry means that money is tight. There are not a lot of perks like PTO, raises, or benefits.

Increase starting salary. Increase amount of vacation days. Invest more capital in the business to continue growth.

Material handler1

I worked at R.R. Donnelley

Pros

Work load finally returning to normal after economy collapsed in '07

Cons

Lots of overtime, summer time it gets very hot, most new business is coming from large catalogs which are very heavy.

Stop promoting people that have worked there for less than 6 months just because the qualified people that have worked the for 10+ have too many call ins.

Steady job with possible growth

Current Employee - Technical Assistant in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Technical Assistant in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Well balanced work environment, rewarding work, good system for time off, promote from within.

Cons

Incompetent management, not intellectually stimulating.

Listen to your employees and actually get stuff done in a timely manner.

Fair to partly cloudy.

Former Employee - Developer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Developer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at R.R. Donnelley full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Use of multiple technologies allowed.

Cons

Corporate overhead can be a bit much.

R.R. Donnelley Photos