R&D Systems

Updated August 13, 2014
Updated August 13, 2014
2.3

Charles Kummeth

Good place to work if you have an interest in life science.

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay. CEO listens to employees and is working toward making positive changes. Great employees.

Cons

Need better work /life balance and promotional opportunities. Some managers need better training. Could use more employee incentives.

Need to review managers to make sure they are qualified to manage "people".

Do not recommend

Current Employee - Research Associate II  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very good insurance coverage for a low cost.
    The don't "fire" anyone, ever. This should tell you all you need to know.
    Most of the products we make are a relatively decent quality.

Cons

Insurance costs going up each year, while raises are stagnant if you even get one. Not even cost of living increase. If you aren't already a manageror higher already, then there is nowhere for you to go in the company; there is no chance for upward mobility. Quality assurance is non existant and the "quality policy" is just a sad piece of paper that hangs on the wall in a 90¢ plastic frame and not something that is actually put into practice.

Work on an actual quality plan from the idea of a product all the way through shipping. Currently many products are created, tested, and bottled by the same individual person. Most products are not reworked when they fail, we wait for customer complaints before we look into them. Marketing, sales, legal, etc. are a good start; but this is a biotech company you may want to focus all of your remaining efforts on the laboratories that make the products that make the money.

Research Associate

Former Employee - Research Associate I  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Research Associate I in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at R&D Systems full-time for more than a year

Pros

When I worked there, the work environment was relaxed and generally we had good benefits. Depending on the department, the work hours were flexible and the job was pretty low stress.

Cons

Company used to value employees as people. But only PhDs qualified as management material. While most the PhDs were good at what they did, they usually had little to know management or team coaching experience or training.

Give your managers some training and continue valuing your employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good job with a lot of scope to learn new stuff.

I have been working at R&D Systems

Pros

- Scope to learn and implement new stuff

Cons

- Growth appears to be stagnant.

It was a good first job fresh out of college

Former Employee - Research Associate II  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Research Associate II in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at R&D Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Stable job, stress-free, good teams.

Cons

Not a lot of room to grow, not much training involve. Work is not stimulating.

Run away

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

None since the new management came in.

Cons

It was a great place to work where people would really enjoy going to work each day. There was a lot of company loyalty but the new CEO has made the environment toxic. Where there was an open door policy before, employees are afraid to make suggestions or speak up for fear of retaliation. The only thing he's concerned with is making the numbers so he gets HIS bonus. Moral is horrible, benefits have been taken away and raises were next to nothing last year and the rumor mill says that there will be no raises this year. But the CEO and Executive management have gotten huge compensations ($2.2 million for CEO) while those of us that are working OT and weekends got nothing.

Stop thinking of yourself and remember that without the rest of us, the company wouldn't run. Start treating all employees with respect and start listening. The round tables won't work if you don't listen or yell at employees when they ask a question you don't want to hear. Loosen up so moral is better, start paying all employees fair market instead of overcompensating a few. The happier your employees are the more productive they are.

The company that time forgot

Current Employee - Scientist I  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Scientist I in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a professional level job in Minneapolis.

Cons

Things were allowed to slide for a long time here - the new CEO thinks he has all the answers but doesn't understand the business, doesn't listen, doesn't inspire, and rewards a $s kissers. More trouble to come.

Fire yourselves but first get some people that understand customer service, marketing and the commercialization of science.

Just in Time Change

Former Employee - Group Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Group Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at R&D Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Large midwest biotech in a great city
    Constant change
    New CEO brings great promise but possibly not for long term employees
    Company has a long history of growth

Cons

Culture very backwards, 1970's style
    Past reorganizations have not been well handled
    Sense of entitlement amongst long term employees
    Growth has been stagnant in recent times but appears to be starting again

Keep modernizing while respecting the past

Used to be a good Company

I worked at R&D Systems

Pros

Used to be a good Company.
    CEO used to be a manager with integrity!

Cons

New management with no morals and integrity.
    Trying to still employees from other companies out of frustration.
    On a verge of a sharp slope down.

Bring new CEO and retain the Integrity and dignity R&D Systems used to have.

A good starting point for a career in the biotechnology industry if you live in the midwest.

Current Employee - Research Associate
    Current Employee - Research Associate

I have been working at R&D Systems full-time

Pros

- R&D is a financially strong company, and provides a good opportunity for recent graduates to enter the industry and get experience developing and analyzing life science products.
    - Large product inventory and high quality standards.
    - Strong sales and initiative to develop new products.
    - Good health and dental benefits.
    - Good work/life balance.

Cons

- Career paths are poorly defined and advancement is unlikely without a PhD.
    - High turn over rate, many workers leave after 1-2 years to pursue better opportunities or graduate degrees in health sciences.
    - Company does not invest in new technology or implement technologies that would make work more efficient.
    - No employee incentive benefits (e.g. 401K match, discounted stock purchase plans, performance bonuses)

- Employ managers that actually have business and management experience or training. Good scientists aren't necessarily good managers or executives. I have yet to encounter anyone at this company with an MBA.
    - Develop your employees, if you want to recruit and retain talent create more clearly defined career paths for individuals that want to advance within the company. Create training programs that will allow employees to advance within their department or between departments. Create PhD vs. non-PhD career paths.
    - Without improving employee development or providing better employee benefits such as 401K match, discounted stock purchase plans, or performance bonuses, this company will remain a revolving door and a stepping stone rather than a career path for people entering the biotech/med device industry.

Worked for R&D Systems? Contribute to the Community!