RAB Lighting Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
4.0
Ross Barna

1. Great Place to Work but are all these reveiws genuine?

I have been working at RAB Lighting full-time

Pros

I've worked at RAB many years, it has it's own merits. A lot of these rah-rah reviews sound very much like our marketing team giving it a positive spin. RAB doesn't need that, it actually detracts from the company when it is too over the top " innovation of Thomas Edison and business acumen of Steve Jobs?" come on! CEO is not afraid to think outside the box, his strongest strength. He wants to get it done! Don't oversell to get top talent, our history speaks volumes.

Cons

CEO holds up some projects by not making decisions, stalls others by making decisions too fast without all the facts. Overall doing a phenomenal job growing the company. Growing very fast, maybe too fast, Hard to keep track of who is responsible for what, and things falling through the cracks, but it is growing pains and transitional. Management a little clueless about lower level employees. Some sense of "if you don't like it, leave" when trying to problem solve, which isn't helpful. Some favoritism on the fast track, other real talent ignored, mostly by managers afraid to make decisions - uppermost management micromanages

Advice to Management

Empower your managers to MANAGE, don't micromanage.

2. RAB Lighting

Current Employee - Workflow and Material Technician in Northvale, NJ
    Current Employee - Workflow and Material Technician in Northvale, NJ

I have been working at RAB Lighting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

RAB Lighting has an extremely diverse working environment. One can learn many valuable skills while working at RAB.

Cons

There are ALOT of employees. This makes it hard for employees to be 'individualized'.

Advice to Management

To take employees' suggestions on suggestions to better enhance the workflow.

3. This is what a career should feel like!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northvale, NJ

I have been working at RAB Lighting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great product offering, sales channel and market penetration by an independent lighting manufacturer. Amazing environment that combines the vibe and feel of a Silicon Valley start-up with the core values you only find from family ownership. The hands-on CEO (who has the innovation of Thomas Edison and the business acumen of Steve Jobs) has a great approach and plan.

Cons

The speed at which the company is growing leaves little time for reflection.

Advice to Management

Keep making the magic happen!

Excellent Employer

I have been working at RAB Lighting full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I am a very happy, long term employee at RAB. If you want to work in a calm, successful environment where you are contributing to saving energy for our country, this is it. The obnoxious reviews from September- October and again recently all seem to be from the same disgruntled former employee. A few new engineers failed miserably with a special project were let go last fall. I suspect the complainer is one of those guys. Hopefully they will get a new job and stop mis-representing this very fine company. It's hard to find a company that combines the exciting atmosphere and fast growth of a start-up with the financial stability of an established industry leader. There are multiple shelves around the office bursting with awards that the company has received from customers for marketing, engineering and just plain business excellence. The forecasts for growth in LED lighting mean that RAB will be riding this wave for many years to come. You will be very pleased if you can get a job at RAB.

Cons

Due to fast growth, many new employees are still learning their jobs. On the other hand, they bring fresh insights and new skills.

Advice to Management

Continue pursuing your business model. It's working very well. Thanks for the really nice offices and little perks for employees.

Take it with a grain of salt.

Former Employee - Engineering in Northvale, NJ
    Former Employee - Engineering in Northvale, NJ

I worked at RAB Lighting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and benefits are very competitive. Company is expanding fast and growth is felt in amenities and bonuses.

Cons

First of all, the timeline of reviews tells an interesting story. A few very bad ones at the end of last year, followed by a sudden storm of good reviews all coming within a couple of weeks of each other. I wonder if these Current Employees decided on their own and independently to give voice to their strong positive support, all at the same time? There is an enormous amount of disorganization and questionable decision-making among senior management. Some departments are shielded from it by good department managers... others are not. Rash decisions that affect the livelihood of employees are made off-the-cuff and without any consultation or negotiation. Good communication is impossible. This tendency unfortunately stems from the very top of company leadership, where saving face is valued more highly than righting a sinking ship. The degree to which this affects you as an employee depends where you're working within the company. If you're looking at a position under a senior manager who has been at the company for a long time and has a proven process in place, you'll probably be fine. But if you are being recruited for an exciting new initiative or a special project, I would recommend taking a good hard look at the position and take it with a grain of salt.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately the poor management goes right to the top... so any advice would likely fall on deaf ears.

Strong, sustainable growth with opportunity for everyone

I have been working at RAB Lighting full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company has grown significantly in the years that I’ve worked at RAB Lighting, from a small niche manufacturer to a significant leader, acknowledged by our customers to be the best in the industry. The CEO is a strong leader with a clear vision of where he wants to lead the company, and he has the ability to communicate his vision to employees. The office has an open floor plan, which conveys a message that extends far beyond any interior design aesthetic. It goes to the heart of the company's management style and workplace culture; flat and lean with little hierarchy and a structure that encourages collaboration. There is exceptional support for learning, with many opportunities to train and improve skills through professional education both inside and outside the organization. What has been most important to me, through two generations of family ownership, is that my contributions have been appreciated and rewarded.

Cons

Glassdoor requires a “con” comment to submit…..

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing and guard the company’s culture as it continues to grow.

8. Great company

Pros

Amazing company to work for. Top reputation, both in the industry and the area. Competitive salary, great benefits -- medical, dental 401k match, and free lunch.

Cons

None I can think of.

Great, Fast Growing Company with a lot of perks and little bureaucracy

I have been working at RAB Lighting full-time

Pros

Management is pretty flat, and is eager to buy in and support almost any project. There is a good mix of long term employees as well as newer hires, bringing in fresh perspective and insight to the company. Some projects can be intense and long running, but ability to see your contributions affect the bottom line is great. Compensation is pretty competitive across the board and benefits like catered lunch, good education contributions, healthy 401k match and solid health and dental are very good.

Cons

Growing pains associated with any rapidly expanding company can rear their head. Unclear procedures / specs or switching gears mid project can happen, but no worse than at anywhere else.

Great rewarding work place

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at RAB Lighting full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

During my time at RAB I have seen a few lows and many highs. Right now we have been on a 6 year high. Due to the leadership of our CEO and the management team, the company has gone through unprecedented growth. The direction and the vision set forth by our CEO has transformed RAB from a follower to a leader in the lighting industry. Aggressive product development and freedom to create are some of the perks for working at RAB. Another perk is personal satisfaction which is acknowledged through very generous bonuses. Investment in training, equipment, software and people is unparalleled in our industry. All departments work well together and it's a real pleasure to work with everyone there. Very little bureaucracy allows the managers and employees to all pull in the same direction towards one goal - Company success .

Cons

Long distance from my house, but I have been gladly doing it for a long time. Definitely worth the trip.

Advice to Management

Keep challenging us!

Great place to work with ample opportunity

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northvale, NJ

Pros

Excellent company with tremendous growth and industry leading innovation. Fast paced, exciting environment, collaborative culture. Great people to work with. Plenty of opportunities for career development.

Cons

If you work at the Northvale, NJ headquarters, there isn't much to do in the area. The NYC location on the other hand, is at the center of the art district.

RSS Feed </> Embed