RAINN Reviews

Updated July 2, 2014
Updated July 2, 2014

3.2

CEO

Great staff. Important work.

I worked at RAINN as an intern

Pros

Allows junior staff to take on projects that they may not otherwise get to do in a larger org.

Cons

The work culture expects a lot of their staff but that is how DC works.

Keep the communication open. Definitely an open door policy but time constraints sometimes made this hard.

You're better off finding a job elsewhere

I worked at RAINN

Pros

Gain experience in the social work field or in victim advocacy. Other hotline staff are incredibly supportive and passionate. The hotline provides great services for survivors, but overall RAINN is a terrible place to work.

Cons

Huge divide between hotline staff and the rest of the office staff. The office staff ignores the hotline staff and pretends like they do not exist. Upper management is clueless about the goings on of the hotline and make large, sweeping changes to hotline staffing structure without consulting hotline staff, which results in ineffective and detrimental changes. Large amount of nepotism and favoritism between hotline manager, assistant manager, and some staff. Hotline staff is generally unappreciated by the management and other staff. Staffers skills and interests are not utilized.

Positive, but stressful.

Former Employee - Online Hotline Intern  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Online Hotline Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at RAINN as an intern for less than a year

Pros

RAINN does incredible work, and their employees offer a nurturing and fun environment considering the heaviness of the work they do.

Cons

While rewarding, the work at RAINN can be extremely stressful. While I was these it definitely took a toll on my personal well being.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Online Hotline

Current Employee - Staffer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Staffer in Washington, DC

I have been working at RAINN part-time for more than a year

Pros

I love working on the online hotline because of my fellow staffers and the work being done. There are so many passionate and talented individuals working for this very important cause. Although it can be emotionally draining and a lot on top of my other job, especially because we are so short staffed, it is rewarding.

Cons

I really don't think the management at RAINN or office staff value the online hotline staff which is unfortunate because they are doing the brunt of RAINN's direct service work. The turnover on the hotline has become insane...long time staff are leaving left and right because they feel overworked, unappreciated, and undervalued. The pay is also minimal so it is the kind of thing you do part time on the side or in addition to many other jobs. I work with the most amazing people so it disappoints me to see so little investment in appreciating all the incredible work being done.

I really recommend hiring a few full time staff with benefits and regular pay and supplement them with part time staff to reduce the stress of the turn over. You cannot pay rent here by working full time so it causes people to balance so many commitments and it negatively impacts the morale and the retention. I also think that investing a little more time and energy in making hotline staff feel appreciated and valued will help.

Ok

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at RAINN

Pros

Good organization, committed to a great cause, good location, fun staff members, fun events to plan and organize with christina ricci

Cons

disorganized, whoever had the skills was responsible, no accountability, no recognition, management gives little direction, nonchalance about work environment or professionalism

Interning at RAINN has pushed me to learn new things and take on more roles.

Current Employee - Intern At RAINN  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern At RAINN in Washington, DC

I have been working at RAINN

Pros

RAINN is a very small organization so you are really going to be involved. Most "departments" have 3 or 4 full time staff, so you will not be doing random office tasks but really involved in the success of the organization.

Cons

There's not a lot of recognition for what you do. This is common at non-profits, but no one is patting you on the back after a job well done. In addition, it is unpaid and you end up doing a lot of work that a real staff member would typically be doing.

Take the possibility of paying interns - even minimum wage. There should also be more communication between interns, supervisors and other departments.

Worked for RAINN? Contribute to the Community!