RAINN

RAINN Reviews

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great staff. Important work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAllows junior staff to take on projects that they may not otherwise get to do in a larger org.

ConsThe work culture expects a lot of their staff but that is how DC works.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the communication open. Definitely an open door policy but time constraints sometimes made this hard.

You're better off finding a job elsewhere

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGain experience in the social work field or in victim advocacy. Other hotline staff are incredibly supportive and passionate. The hotline provides great services for survivors, but overall RAINN is a terrible place to work.

ConsHuge divide between hotline staff and the rest of the office staff. The office staff ignores the hotline staff and pretends like they do not exist. Upper management is clueless about the goings on of the hotline and make large, sweeping changes to hotline staffing structure without consulting hotline staff, which results in ineffective and detrimental changes. Large amount of nepotism and favoritism between hotline manager, assistant manager, and some staff. Hotline staff is generally unappreciated by the management and other staff. Staffers skills and interests are not utilized.

Positive, but stressful.

Online Hotline Intern (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsRAINN does incredible work, and their employees offer a nurturing and fun environment considering the heaviness of the work they do.

ConsWhile rewarding, the work at RAINN can be extremely stressful. While I was these it definitely took a toll on my personal well being.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Online Hotline

Staffer (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsI love working on the online hotline because of my fellow staffers and the work being done. There are so many passionate and talented individuals working for this very important cause. Although it can be emotionally draining and a lot on top of my other job, especially because we are so short staffed, it is rewarding.

ConsI really don't think the management at RAINN or office staff value the online hotline staff which is unfortunate because they are doing the brunt of RAINN's direct service work. The turnover on the hotline has become insane...long time staff are leaving left and right because they feel overworked, unappreciated, and undervalued. The pay is also minimal so it is the kind of thing you do part time on the side or in addition to many other jobs. I work with the most amazing people so it disappoints me to see so little investment in appreciating all the incredible work being done.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really recommend hiring a few full time staff with benefits and regular pay and supplement them with part time staff to reduce the stress of the turn over. You cannot pay rent here by working full time so it causes people to balance so many commitments and it negatively impacts the morale and the retention. I also think that investing a little more time and energy in making hotline staff feel appreciated and valued will help.

Ok

Washington, DC

ProsGood organization, committed to a great cause, good location, fun staff members, fun events to plan and organize with christina ricci

Consdisorganized, whoever had the skills was responsible, no accountability, no recognition, management gives little direction, nonchalance about work environment or professionalism

Interning at RAINN has pushed me to learn new things and take on more roles.

Intern At RAINN (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsRAINN is a very small organization so you are really going to be involved. Most "departments" have 3 or 4 full time staff, so you will not be doing random office tasks but really involved in the success of the organization.

ConsThere's not a lot of recognition for what you do. This is common at non-profits, but no one is patting you on the back after a job well done. In addition, it is unpaid and you end up doing a lot of work that a real staff member would typically be doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the possibility of paying interns - even minimum wage. There should also be more communication between interns, supervisors and other departments.

Worked for RAINN? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RAINN reviews and ratings. All 6 reviews posted anonymously by RAINN employees.