RAINN Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
CEO

1. Great staff. Important work.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at RAINN as an intern

Pros

Allows junior staff to take on projects that they may not otherwise get to do in a larger org.

Cons

The work culture expects a lot of their staff but that is how DC works.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication open. Definitely an open door policy but time constraints sometimes made this hard.

2. Interning at RAINN has pushed me to learn new things and take on more roles.

Current Employee - Intern At RAINN in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern At RAINN in Washington, DC

I have been working at RAINN

Pros

RAINN is a very small organization so you are really going to be involved. Most "departments" have 3 or 4 full time staff, so you will not be doing random office tasks but really involved in the success of the organization.

Cons

There's not a lot of recognition for what you do. This is common at non-profits, but no one is patting you on the back after a job well done. In addition, it is unpaid and you end up doing a lot of work that a real staff member would typically be doing.

Advice to Management

Take the possibility of paying interns - even minimum wage. There should also be more communication between interns, supervisors and other departments.

3. Positive, but stressful.

Former Intern - Online Hotline Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Online Hotline Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at RAINN as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

RAINN does incredible work, and their employees offer a nurturing and fun environment considering the heaviness of the work they do.

Cons

While rewarding, the work at RAINN can be extremely stressful. While I was these it definitely took a toll on my personal well being.

5. College internship

Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at RAINN as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great organization, hands on experience as an online hotline listener while also interning in the office. Everyone in the office friendly. No errand/coffee runs.

Cons

Not a lot of work to do other than hotline- so not really a lot of hands on experience with the organization itself

Advice to Management

More interactions with full time employees and different departments

6. Nice NPO

Former Employee - Research Intern in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Research Intern in Washington, DC

I worked at RAINN

Pros

It's a very nice organization with nice people. The work there is very meaningful.

Cons

There are not enough computers for interns.

7. Online Hotline Volunteer Perspective

I have been working at RAINN

Pros

It was a very gratifying job and there was a lot of support provided by the RAINN headquarters team.

Cons

No direct or personal contact with the people working with you. Could not get recommendations or much from a business end because it was anonymous.

8. Ok

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at RAINN

Pros

Good organization, committed to a great cause, good location, fun staff members, fun events to plan and organize with christina ricci

Cons

disorganized, whoever had the skills was responsible, no accountability, no recognition, management gives little direction, nonchalance about work environment or professionalism

The Online Hotline

Current Employee - Staffer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Staffer in Washington, DC

I have been working at RAINN part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working on the online hotline because of my fellow staffers and the work being done. There are so many passionate and talented individuals working for this very important cause. Although it can be emotionally draining and a lot on top of my other job, especially because we are so short staffed, it is rewarding.

Cons

I really don't think the management at RAINN or office staff value the online hotline staff which is unfortunate because they are doing the brunt of RAINN's direct service work. The turnover on the hotline has become insane...long time staff are leaving left and right because they feel overworked, unappreciated, and undervalued. The pay is also minimal so it is the kind of thing you do part time on the side or in addition to many other jobs. I work with the most amazing people so it disappoints me to see so little investment in appreciating all the incredible work being done.

Advice to Management

I really recommend hiring a few full time staff with benefits and regular pay and supplement them with part time staff to reduce the stress of the turn over. You cannot pay rent here by working full time so it causes people to balance so many commitments and it negatively impacts the morale and the retention. I also think that investing a little more time and energy in making hotline staff feel appreciated and valued will help.

You're better off finding a job elsewhere

I worked at RAINN

Pros

Gain experience in the social work field or in victim advocacy. Other hotline staff are incredibly supportive and passionate. The hotline provides great services for survivors, but overall RAINN is a terrible place to work.

Cons

Huge divide between hotline staff and the rest of the office staff. The office staff ignores the hotline staff and pretends like they do not exist. Upper management is clueless about the goings on of the hotline and make large, sweeping changes to hotline staffing structure without consulting hotline staff, which results in ineffective and detrimental changes. Large amount of nepotism and favoritism between hotline manager, assistant manager, and some staff. Hotline staff is generally unappreciated by the management and other staff. Staffers skills and interests are not utilized.

11. Pick somewhere else! (former hotline staffer)

Former Employee - Part-time Staffer
    Former Employee - Part-time Staffer

I worked at RAINN part-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are so many great people that work on the hotline, their dedication is inspiring, also you do get the chance to help people who really need it directly.

Cons

Management is pretty awful, they say one thing and then do another, they treat people as if they are disposable/replaceable and only their to serve the needs of management. Hard work, and good reviews are not rewarded and their is no praise for the people who work tirelessly to serve victims in need. Management plays favorites and gives perks and promotions to the favored few who really are not good at their jobs and who just put in the bare minimum (read those who are married to management or friends of management)

Advice to Management

Treat staff members like they mater and that they exist. Do not overwork staff to the point of burn-out. A little kindness can go a long way. Just act like decent humans.

RSS Feed </> Embed