RAND

RAND Reviews

Updated Jul 15, 2014

RAND CEO Michael Rich

Michael Rich

Pros
  • RAND in Santa Monica is an unbeatable location and working in(in 9 reviews)

• The organization encourages long term employees and flexible work arrangements(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • RAND has an internal labor market where one must bid onto projects based on semi-formal networking(in 5 reviews)

• The internal labor market: You have to find work within the company even after you are hired, which can be stressful at times(in 5 reviews)

RAND IS Organization Is On The Move!

Project Manager (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsIS organization has the best management team it has had in well over a decade. These new people are outstanding! We are going to see our vision come to fruition, because of these leaders.

ConsThere remain too many naysayers, and slackers, who just want to get by, and not be part of something great. Do us a favor and move on and shut your traps.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work, bringing in these good new people. Glad to see them. First class, everyone of them!

RAND IT Department - AVOID

Systems Engineer (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsMy coworkers were a great group of people.

ConsThe IT department is mismanaged. There is constant turn-over of management staff. Each new manager has a grand vision that requires bringing in their own team yet not correcting previous manager's shortcomings. Add to that a large mistake in 2013 budget that was not caught until after the budget was already in effect.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the turn-over.

Amazing organization but not for everyone. Complicated to navigate but a good organization.

Support Side of Organization; Management Role (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsMission driven organization. Smart people and interesting work. Compensation package is good for a non profit.

ConsOrg structure is complicated so decision making isn't always logical and could be improved greatly. Culture is complicated to internalize

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to add some structure to the organization and roles.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great institution filled with the best

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Monica, CA

Pros-Great work environment
    -Highly intelligent colleagues
    -Little stratification between staff, your opinion and ideas are listened to
    -The RAND name
    -Great networking
    -Opportunities to work with some of the best in your area of interest

Cons-Time coverage system (don't know of a better way)

Great history, rocky future.

Executive Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA

ProsIf you have a strong research portfolio, or are a programmer interested in policy research, you'll have opportunities. Administration is an afterthought.

ConsAdministration is not highly valued. Career growth in this flat organization is difficult for administrative positions. If you're not interested in increasing responsibility and just want to stay where you are, this can be OK.

Every project micro-managed and URGENT.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Santa Monica, CA

ProsPrestigious place to work; while the work force comes across as intelligent however with the intelligence everyone seems to think they can do what you're doing "better"

ConsVery poor computer system with a very slow server. All IT systems seem to have issues that you wouldn't think would exist at this type of organization. Every work task seems to be overdue, and no time to double check work

Advice to Senior ManagementSay what you mean, not what you think others want to hear.

Highly Challenging But Rewarding

Associate Behavioral/Social Scientist (Current Employee) Arlington, VA

ProsWide variety of research projects; work with smart people; flat hierarchy; broad freedom and no micromanagement (almost no management at all). Really like the autonomy to get stuff done--as long as the job is about results, and I can skin the cat my way, I'll stay here.

ConsHigh pressure; have to find work internally or bring in work; co-workers have very broad range of social skills; it's sink or swim.

Advice to Senior ManagementSo far I'm pretty happy here, but I'm also finding it easy to find work and make connections. I wonder if there are people who, with a little help and scaffolding, could be more succesful.

Excellent colleagues but organizational problems

Full Researcher (Current Employee)

ProsHighly educated, intelligent colleagues
    Generally interesting, impactful work

ConsCoordinating and maintaining coverage can be challenging
    It can be difficult to work on projects across offices

Excellent people; frustrating business model.

Political Scientist (Current Employee)

ProsThe people. Top notch minds and a pleasure to work with.

ConsBusiness model forces one to overextend oneself and discourages collaboration. It rewards generalists, meaning that one has to let areas of expertise atrophy while pursuing unrelated work.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to dump the coverage system.

very rewarding

Prosvalues-based organisation; team working; great experience as junior

Conssalaries comparable to academia; yet more pressured work!

Worked for RAND? Contribute to the Community!