RAND Reviews

Updated September 7, 2014
3.8

RAND CEO Michael Rich
Michael Rich

Pros
  • RAND in Santa Monica is an unbeatable location and working in (in 9 reviews)

• The organization encourages long term employees and flexible work arrangements (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • RAND has an internal labor market where one must bid onto projects based on semi-formal networking (in 5 reviews)

• The internal labor market: You have to find work within the company even after you are hired, which can be stressful at times (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice people, no one was terribly tied to their job

I worked at RAND

Pros

Everyone was nice, awesome office and location

Cons

No one held a lot of a passion for the work

Good think-tank learning experience

I worked at RAND as an intern

Pros

Highly intelligent people, great work environment if you like policy-oriented research, lots of autonomy (see caveat below), decent compensation for this type of summer position, collegial atmosphere among interns.

Cons

Limited interaction with mentor. You are often on your own with little guidance and little feedback. It is up to you to be proactive and come up with ideas. More generally, you have to take the initiative to meet people. People won't come to you.

Great colleagues, Interesting Research Opportunities, Great Employment Practices

Former Employee - Assistant Policy Analyst  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Policy Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RAND full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people here are all really top-notch. They really pushed me to be a better researcher and I learned a lot from everyone there. Not only, however, are they great researchers, but they are also very nice and happy to help. Other researchers always took time to meet with me, teach me new software, etc. Administrative support, security, and other people were also the best. Also, they have really great employment practices. There was an ergonomics person who helped set up your desk and they have a cafe with lots of healthy options.

Cons

Like any high-profile research organization, the job is demanding and the hours can be long at times. Also, I know that finding work at RAND is challenging for some people. I personally, however, didn't have a problem finding work and enjoyed the ability to choose whom I work with.

More free trainings on software would be great.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Economist

Former Employee - Economist  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Economist in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RAND full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

You get to work on some intellectually stimulating projects. Some of them have relevance to public policy, others don't. The facilities are beyond excellent and support staff are generally helpful.

Cons

RAND seems to have become a place where PhDs go when they cannot hack it in academia. It seems like a lot of PhDs who couldn't get a tenured-track job or were denied tenured come here. RAND has even begun to hire people with MA or MS degrees as researchers.

Ratchet up the standards and only take the cream of the crop... like the good old days.

Can be a great place to work depending on which department you work in.

Former Employee - Research Editor  in  Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Research Editor in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RAND full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The benefits are great. The environment is collegial. You will likely be surrounded by intelligent people. If you are in a great department, then this is an excellent place to work.

Cons

Some of the departments are burdened with mismanagement and/or bureaucracy. If you are stuck in one of those departments, you will likely feel unappreciated at best. You may start out in a great department in which the management changes, then you will find yourself in a job you used to love and care about that becomes unbearable.

Perhaps RAND has become too top heavy?

Lots of variety, no room for growth

Current Employee - Research Assistant  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RAND full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a huge variety of work available. On a given day, you may work with economists, political scientists, sociologists, and defense analysts. The office is quite nice, and there are lots of resources to do good research. For policy the pay is OK, but much of the work can be similar to work done by (and compensated by) the private sector. The work is extremely flexible: staff at all levels are given flexibility to work from home and work flexible hours.

Cons

There are limited opportunities for formal professional development or growth. Most junior staff are too busy over-loading with project work to take time to learn new skills. One of the big cons of the 'internal labor market' is that project leaders will only bring staff onto projects who already are experienced in the methodologies being used. This means it's hard to 'learn by doing' because you are generally only invited to do things that you've done before.

It is unclear what the various roles are meant to accomplish. When problems are brought up, nobody thinks it's their job to address them or fix them, which means that nothing (major or minor) can really change.

Very Grateful to Be Here

Current Employee - Associate Behavioral Social Scientist  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Behavioral Social Scientist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RAND full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love the diversity of projects, the chance to work with some really smart people (and learn from them), the work flexibility (usually work 6:30 AM to 2:30 PM in the office, or at home if I really have a lot of writing to do). And I kind of love the pressure--it's a challenge to context-switch from project to project, meet deadlines, etc., but it's very rewarding. And while there is a wide-range of personality types at RAND, I really like my colleagues.

Cons

You are very much left alone to sink or swim in the "internal labor market"--I'm lucky that (so far) I'm swimming, and I've had a lot of help. But I can imagine someone who does good work still having bad luck (and maybe not out-going enough) to find work.

I'm totally ok with the broad challenge of finding work, but even old hands here at RAND struggle with filling every corner of your time to, to the last day of the year. I think a little flexibility at the edges, e.g. a standard pool of personal development days, would be helpful.

Loyalty above all

I have been working at RAND full-time

Pros

If you confirm you can stay here forever. No retirement age, no requirement to leave, just be a wallflower and don't challenge and don't try to do something different.

Cons

If you like the Stepford Wives you'll do just great. They want individuals in their image, doing and behaving the way they do, regardless of ethics, honesty, integrity. Don't rock the ship, and simply pull out that old research, dust it off, and publish it again, and again.

The Board of Trustees needs to replace themselves and the top levels of the company. Cronyism and Nepotism runs rampant and the inbred nature of the organization is damaging, breeding a culture that rates survival to tomorrow as the most important over trust, honesty, customer service, integrity.

Great Organization

Current Employee - Field Interviewer  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at RAND part-time for less than a year

Pros

Beautiful office, friendly staff, looks great on a resume, get to learn the ins and out of high quality research, feel like you're contributing to something good

Cons

Some positions (field interviewing, for example) can be VERY boring when out in the field. I would go weeks without talking to anyone sometimes, and somedays I'd see a bunch of people at once

Great people, unfortunate management

Former Employee - Web Producer  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Web Producer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at RAND full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Outstanding group of intelligent, focused, and collegial employees.

Cons

Managers tended to care more about their image, than the people who reported to them.

The people who work for you, are who keep you there and successful. Consider their needs and guide them in improving their shortcomings.

Worked for RAND? Contribute to the Community!