RAND

www.rand.org
Profile Unclaimed

Great colleagues, Interesting Research Opportunities, Great Employment Practices

Former Employee - Assistant Policy Analyst in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Assistant Policy Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RAND full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people here are all really top-notch. They really pushed me to be a better researcher and I learned a lot from everyone there. Not only, however, are they great researchers, but they are also very nice and happy to help. Other researchers always took time to meet with me, teach me new software, etc. Administrative support, security, and other people were also the best. Also, they have really great employment practices. There was an ergonomics person who helped set up your desk and they have a cafe with lots of healthy options.

Cons

Like any high-profile research organization, the job is demanding and the hours can be long at times. Also, I know that finding work at RAND is challenging for some people. I personally, however, didn't have a problem finding work and enjoyed the ability to choose whom I work with.

More free trainings on software would be great.

Lots of variety, no room for growth

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RAND full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is a huge variety of work available. On a given day, you may work with economists, political scientists, sociologists, and defense analysts. The office is quite nice, and there are lots of resources to do good research. For policy the pay is OK, but much of the work can be similar to work done by (and compensated by) the private sector. The work is extremely flexible: staff at all levels are given flexibility to work from home and work flexible hours.

Cons

There are limited opportunities for formal professional development or growth. Most junior staff are too busy over-loading with project work to take time to learn new skills. One of the big cons of the 'internal labor market' is that project leaders will only bring staff onto projects who already are experienced in the methodologies being used. This means it's hard to 'learn by doing' because you are generally only invited to do things that you've done before.

It is unclear what the various roles are meant to accomplish. When problems are brought up, nobody thinks it's their job to address them or fix them, which means that nothing (major or minor) can really change.

Loyalty above all

I have been working at RAND full-time

Pros

If you confirm you can stay here forever. No retirement age, no requirement to leave, just be a wallflower and don't challenge and don't try to do something different.

Cons

If you like the Stepford Wives you'll do just great. They want individuals in their image, doing and behaving the way they do, regardless of ethics, honesty, integrity. Don't rock the ship, and simply pull out that old research, dust it off, and publish it again, and again.

The Board of Trustees needs to replace themselves and the top levels of the company. Cronyism and Nepotism runs rampant and the inbred nature of the organization is damaging, breeding a culture that rates survival to tomorrow as the most important over trust, honesty, customer service, integrity.

Great people, unfortunate management

Former Employee - Web Producer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Web Producer in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at RAND full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Outstanding group of intelligent, focused, and collegial employees.

Cons

Managers tended to care more about their image, than the people who reported to them.

The people who work for you, are who keep you there and successful. Consider their needs and guide them in improving their shortcomings.

Great Organization

Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Field Interviewer in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at RAND part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office, friendly staff, looks great on a resume, get to learn the ins and out of high quality research, feel like you're contributing to something good

Cons

Some positions (field interviewing, for example) can be VERY boring when out in the field. I would go weeks without talking to anyone sometimes, and somedays I'd see a bunch of people at once

Flat organization, but challenging internal job market

Former Employee - Graduate Research Fellow in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Graduate Research Fellow in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RAND full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

RAND in Santa Monica is an unbeatable location and working in Santa Monica is fantastic for morale and general well-being. Whenever you're frustrated or need a break, you can go down to the bike room/surfboard locker and head out to the ocean. As long as you get work done and show up for meetings, timing of your work is pretty flexible, though that means lots of people tend to work late into the night. It's a very flat organization with little hierarchy. Pretty good benefits.

Cons

Internal job market is fairly exhausting for introverts - you have to network constantly to fill up your hours with project time. Even if you are 60 years old and the top of your field, your time will be spent writing grant proposals and drumming up business. For young researchers, there is little support, and you may have to resort to taking work outside of your areas of interest (the FFRDCs always have plenty of money and work to go around, compared to some of the other units that have smaller pools of funding).

Great people, but not a place for professional development or advancement.

I worked at RAND full-time

Pros

Lots of structure and processes (so good if you look for those things in an office environment), well-intentioned and intelligent colleagues.

Cons

Support staff - everyone but the researchers - held to different rules and standards than the researchers. There's really two different RANDS between the two.

Overall, a good place to work.

I have been working at RAND (more than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours. A good amount of PTO that nobody is going to guilt you into not using.

Cons

The internal labor market can create a lot of stress if you're having trouble finding projects.

Be more proactive about helping people find work, especially new employees, instead of just throwing people out there to sink or swim.

Full of dedicated, hard working, and smart individuals (Geeks you'd want to have a beer with)

Current Employee - Project Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RAND full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The system of matrix management and the internal labor market allow for very flexible and interesting opportunities, while helping to ensure that people try hard to work well together. If you're over worked, it's easy to "share your load" since everyone needs to take on work to get paid.

Cons

There is a dark side to the "internal labor market." it can be stressful ensuring that you always have just the right amount of project work on your plate.

You do a great job communicating where the company is and where it is likely to be next year. I'd like to hear more about what we need to position the company for even more success 5-10 years down the road. In other words, what do we need to do in order to get a huge pat on the back or a "wow" from the rest of the country for our 75th anniversary?

Very stressful

Former Employee - Administrtive Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Administrtive Assistant in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at RAND full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free parking, good compensation & benefit package.

Cons

Very stressful, office culture is not like anywhere I have worked before, colleagues not supportive and very unfriendly..