RAND Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
3.9

RAND CEO Michael Rich
Michael Rich

Pros
  • RAND in Santa Monica is an unbeatable location and working in (in 10 reviews)

• The organization encourages long term employees and flexible work arrangements (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • You are very much left alone to sink or swim in the "internal labor market"--I'm lucky that (so far) I'm swimming, and I've had a lot of help (in 7 reviews)

• RAND has an internal labor market where one must bid onto projects based on semi-formal networking (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Full of dedicated, hard working, and smart individuals (Geeks you'd want to have a beer with)

Current Employee - Project Associate in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Project Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RAND full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The system of matrix management and the internal labor market allow for very flexible and interesting opportunities, while helping to ensure that people try hard to work well together. If you're over worked, it's easy to "share your load" since everyone needs to take on work to get paid.

Cons

There is a dark side to the "internal labor market." it can be stressful ensuring that you always have just the right amount of project work on your plate.

You do a great job communicating where the company is and where it is likely to be next year. I'd like to hear more about what we need to position the company for even more success 5-10 years down the road. In other words, what do we need to do in order to get a huge pat on the back or a "wow" from the rest of the country for our 75th anniversary?

RAND is a great place to work. Smart people, interesting problems, flexible work conditions.

Current Employee - Senior Researcher
    Current Employee - Senior Researcher

I have been working at RAND full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work with some of the smartest people I've ever met. Work on problems that are at the top of the national policy agenda. RAND research projects are interesting and often have substantial impact.

Cons

Not many. It is a "soft money" research organization, so you have to build up your skills at winning grants or contracts, but there is a lot of help with that.

Daily challenges requiring thoughtful and sustaining solutions.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant IV in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant IV in Arlington, VA

I worked at RAND full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Extensive interaction on all levels; with other assistants, researchers, and administrative staff. Training was a continuous process and was combined with new techniques and changes that increased productivity.

Cons

Extensive use of computers causing physical discomfort at the end of long days; difficulty transferring from one unit (e.g., admin support) to non-research departments (HR, Unit Admin., Corporate).

Increase flexibility for transferability of employees among all departments.

IS organization is really struggling.

Current Employee - Programmer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Programmer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at RAND as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

RAND has a phenomenal history as a research organization. Even non-research staff are welcomed at research presentations to hear the latest. Santa Monica is a great location and the office is only a block from the beach. Generally, hours are flexible. Most staff are highly intelligent and well educated. The organization encourages long term employees and flexible work arrangements.

Cons

Recent re-organization and new managers have introduced some serious problems with morale, productivity, and solution delivery in the IS area. Although one welcome departure occurred recently, many problems continue due to poor middle managers, the uncertainty of interim management, and anticipation of yet another round of new upper management. These are further eroding staff job satisfaction and loyalty. Focus has clearly shifted from "let's get this done well" to "be sure to cover your a**".

The IT organization needs to be re-designed to better align with internal client needs. IT does not run the show--they should function as a support organization that serves overall business needs based on a long term view rather than a 'little as possible' consulting mentality.

Finding fulfillment (by the beach)

Current Employee - Associate Physical Scientist in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Physical Scientist in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at RAND full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Challenging, multidisciplinary problems
    - Track record of policy impact
    - Normative (depending on your disposition) and intellectual fulfillment
    - Constant career development
    - 2 blocks from the beach

Cons

- Coverage system adds significant overhead to research work
    - Can be stressful compared to academia

Evolve the system to support researchers in uncertain times

CIO was just canned for being a total, incompetent failure. Terrible IT management.

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RAND full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers, those that are left. Survival can bring out the best in people.

Cons

Worst IT management team you will ever find. No current experience, very little to no practical knowledge. They couldn't run a McDonalds successfully. Also be aware future employees, part of your compensation goes into a retire plan that you'll be lucky to see after 4 years.

More to the Board of Directors - get an IT management team that has current experience before this company collapses.

fantastic, great intellectual place to work

I have been working at RAND

Pros

great work and family balance

Cons

soft money institution in the current budget

> 25 Years in RAND IT and Best It Has Ever Been

Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at RAND full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I'm one of the old timers at RAND. There are many of us who have came to RAND and have never thought to leave. We've been through good times and not so good times. I must say that I've never seen the IT organization as good as it is today. We had gotten some unhappy people into management ranks, and now that they are gone, we are finally starting to move forward.

Cons

We just lost a great fellow to retirement. Been here more than 30 years. Well earned, but sad to see him go. He was one of the good guys.

Keep up the hiring. It reminds me of the good days at RAND.

Dynamic environment! Great place to work.

Former Employee - Summer Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at RAND as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Independent research-oriented environment. Lots of travel opportunities and ability to meet with key policymakers. Rich environment with bright minds and new ideas. Definitely a place where a young researcher can flourish.

Cons

Need a PhD to move upwards

Good company to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at RAND full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Very professional organization and colleagues, though the occasional exception can be problematic. Good benefits, good work ethic, company is concerned about employee well-being. Opportunity to learn about many facets of policy advisory roles and work with highly trained specialists in varying fields.

Cons

Research staff can experience pressure to be rainmakers, support staff have little opportunity for mobility. HR is not responsive to personnel problems in the workforce. Stated policy of employees being able to attend embedded grad school is not a reality. Company's income can be victim to whims of congressional budget politics as the company is largely paid by US government contracts.

Be aware of middle managers who treat employees as numbers or interchangeable mechanical parts.