RAND

Updated October 15, 2014
4.0

RAND CEO Michael Rich
Michael Rich

Pros
  • RAND in Santa Monica is an unbeatable location and working in (in 10 reviews)

• The organization encourages long term employees and flexible work arrangements (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Competitive internal labor market, requires 100% coverage (in 8 reviews)

• You are very much left alone to sink or swim in the "internal labor market"--I'm lucky that (so far) I'm swimming, and I've had a lot of help (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

great learning experience, not a place for long-term career growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at RAND full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

smart people, good office environment, challenging and intellectually interesting work. I learned a lot about research and government operations while I was there; it was a good stepping stone for future work. Good time-off policy and flexible work schedules; ergonomic office furniture.

Cons

top-heavy staffing and competition for tier-1 research projects creates a competitive and cliquey atmosphere. You have to hunt for work and be a politically savvy networker to get on the best projects. Only a few people get promoted from early to mid-career levels because of the large number of older staffers who get "first dibs" on projects. Salary is low for DC.

Invest in workforce development if you want to retain your best and brightest younger research staff. I left because there was nowhere to go. Too many old-guard people remain in management positions; the organization is stagnant.

Always something interesting to work on

Current Employee - Associate Political Scientist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Political Scientist in Washington, DC

I have been working at RAND full-time (more than an year)

Pros

At RAND, researchers get to work on a breadth of projects. Unlike most of academia, at RAND your research has a good chance of being seen by government decisionmakers.

Cons

The internal labor market does not efficiently match capabilities to requirements, and the need to pursue future work while doing your regular work can be an unpleasant distraction. There isn't a clear career path for most project associates or research assistants, and consequently RAND-caliber talent sometimes is not retained.

A very enjoyable place to work

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RAND full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- good people
    - efficient systems
    - opportunities to learn

Cons

- There is limited upward mobility for administrative staff

Smart, hard working people with their hearts in the right place.

Current Employee - Project Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RAND full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, benefits, and flexibility.

Cons

It's stressful to maintain a balance of good work and not be under- or over-loaded (coverage).

We can do more to lead the way in both human and information management.

Lots of variety, no room for growth

Current Employee - Research Assistant in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Research Assistant in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RAND full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a huge variety of work available. On a given day, you may work with economists, political scientists, sociologists, and defense analysts. The office is quite nice, and there are lots of resources to do good research. For policy the pay is OK, but much of the work can be similar to work done by (and compensated by) the private sector. The work is extremely flexible: staff at all levels are given flexibility to work from home and work flexible hours.

Cons

There are limited opportunities for formal professional development or growth. Most junior staff are too busy over-loading with project work to take time to learn new skills. One of the big cons of the 'internal labor market' is that project leaders will only bring staff onto projects who already are experienced in the methodologies being used. This means it's hard to 'learn by doing' because you are generally only invited to do things that you've done before.

It is unclear what the various roles are meant to accomplish. When problems are brought up, nobody thinks it's their job to address them or fix them, which means that nothing (major or minor) can really change.

Very Grateful to Be Here

Current Employee - Associate Behavioral Social Scientist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Behavioral Social Scientist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RAND full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the diversity of projects, the chance to work with some really smart people (and learn from them), the work flexibility (usually work 6:30 AM to 2:30 PM in the office, or at home if I really have a lot of writing to do). And I kind of love the pressure--it's a challenge to context-switch from project to project, meet deadlines, etc., but it's very rewarding. And while there is a wide-range of personality types at RAND, I really like my colleagues.

Cons

You are very much left alone to sink or swim in the "internal labor market"--I'm lucky that (so far) I'm swimming, and I've had a lot of help. But I can imagine someone who does good work still having bad luck (and maybe not out-going enough) to find work.

I'm totally ok with the broad challenge of finding work, but even old hands here at RAND struggle with filling every corner of your time to, to the last day of the year. I think a little flexibility at the edges, e.g. a standard pool of personal development days, would be helpful.

Full of dedicated, hard working, and smart individuals (Geeks you'd want to have a beer with)

Current Employee - Project Associate in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RAND full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The system of matrix management and the internal labor market allow for very flexible and interesting opportunities, while helping to ensure that people try hard to work well together. If you're over worked, it's easy to "share your load" since everyone needs to take on work to get paid.

Cons

There is a dark side to the "internal labor market." it can be stressful ensuring that you always have just the right amount of project work on your plate.

You do a great job communicating where the company is and where it is likely to be next year. I'd like to hear more about what we need to position the company for even more success 5-10 years down the road. In other words, what do we need to do in order to get a huge pat on the back or a "wow" from the rest of the country for our 75th anniversary?

Daily challenges requiring thoughtful and sustaining solutions.

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant IV in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant IV in Arlington, VA

I worked at RAND full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Extensive interaction on all levels; with other assistants, researchers, and administrative staff. Training was a continuous process and was combined with new techniques and changes that increased productivity.

Cons

Extensive use of computers causing physical discomfort at the end of long days; difficulty transferring from one unit (e.g., admin support) to non-research departments (HR, Unit Admin., Corporate).

Increase flexibility for transferability of employees among all departments.

Dynamic environment! Great place to work.

Former Employee - Summer Associate in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Summer Associate in Arlington, VA

I worked at RAND as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Independent research-oriented environment. Lots of travel opportunities and ability to meet with key policymakers. Rich environment with bright minds and new ideas. Definitely a place where a young researcher can flourish.

Cons

Need a PhD to move upwards

Highly Challenging But Rewarding

Current Employee - Associate Behavioral/Social Scientist in Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Associate Behavioral/Social Scientist in Arlington, VA

I have been working at RAND full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wide variety of research projects; work with smart people; flat hierarchy; broad freedom and no micromanagement (almost no management at all). Really like the autonomy to get stuff done--as long as the job is about results, and I can skin the cat my way, I'll stay here.

Cons

High pressure; have to find work internally or bring in work; co-workers have very broad range of social skills; it's sink or swim.

So far I'm pretty happy here, but I'm also finding it easy to find work and make connections. I wonder if there are people who, with a little help and scaffolding, could be more succesful.