RAPP

www.rapp.com

RAPP Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Alexei Orlov

Pros
  • This agency seems to respect a work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• There are great people in that agency even though there are far and few in between(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Overly top heavy and incapable of winning new business(in 4 reviews)

• Senior leadership is not invested in the success of their employees(in 4 reviews)

Your typical mediocre over promising, under delivering Ad Agency

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros- Their attempts at fostering a good work culture is appreciated. They offer plenty after work and work related gatherings.
    - The people, they are smart, focused and talented.
    - Christmas bonuses aren't much but a nice gesture

Cons- No room for growth
    - Lack of communication with senior management and supporting staff
    - Very "clique" type of environment and if your not part of the "in" crowd, your days are numbered.

Wait! Why is everyone leaving, taking time off, or over-worked?

Account Executive (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWork in a fast pace environment with a lot of passionate creative people who are good (if not great) at what they do.

ConsI have been here for more than a month and it is absolutely the least accountable and friendliest group I have ever met. Communication is non-existent, each dept has a different idea on what to do next and how to do it. Strategy consists of throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks. Senior leadership is not invested in the success of their employees. The running joke is "who works a 50hr work week? Try 60!"

Advice to Senior Managementtake advice from your millennial s that you dismiss so readily, they may be your boss one day.

Best internship experience ever!

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsComing in as an intern the people were really welcoming and friendly. This made it easier to learn the company culture and adapt. The level of trust and work they gave me was far greater than I ever expected for being an intern. I had an impressive supervisor who trusted me with a lot of responsibility and taught me so much throughout my time there.

ConsMy time at RAPP was short - only about 3 months - so I don't have anything negative to say. I loved it!

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more effort into branding the RAPP name as much as you help brand your clients.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A fun place to work at times, but lacks clear strategy, leadership, and ability to deliver on self-proclaimed expertise.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

Pros- For the most part the culture of the employees is young, fun, and healthy.
    - The office has a generally open and laid back feel.
    - There are some extremely talented and intelligent professionals working here, although they are mixed in with a greater majority that more often than not will take credit for their work.
    - They current have a few large clients that offer good experience at a high level.

Cons- Leadership is more concerned with preserving egos and obtaining more personal influence in the company than it is with actually performing the most basic functions of their jobs. Too many cooks in the kitchen.
    - The pay is generally below industry standard while raises and promotions are very rare (they like to hire outside resources rather than promote internally).
    - RAPP does company-wide layoffs on an annual basis. They prefer to call it a "realignment".
    - The strategy department runs the show much to the chagrin of the rest of the agency, which leads a lot of passive-agressive infighting.
    - Overall the agency lacks identity, a committed client base, and is in a state of constant restructure.
    - Talented professionals that come to work for RAPP are often undervalued and generally do not stay with the company for very long.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement an agency structure that makes sense for all of RAPP's departments as well as the types of work that they produce and stick with it. Give a voice to the people that actually spend the time and do the work instead of talking over them or ignoring/patronizing them. Your illusion of transparency with your employees is just that, an illusion, and everyone knows it.

Drowning in a sea of mediocrity

ProsA FEW talented people here and there. But they will be gone soon.

ConsLack of leadership. Inability to sell and produce good work.

Advice to Senior ManagementChoose a direction. Provide a service.

Great place to enjoy a work/life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis agency seems to respect a work/life balance
    Vacation (and sick) days are respected
    While there is no official comp day policy, most managers will let you take comp days
    Of all the agencies in the industry I've worked, I've had the fewest late nights here
    The benefits package is pretty good
    The strategy group seems to run the show (pro if you're in strategy)
    For the most part, people seem to genuinely get along
    It's usually easy to leave work stress at the office and not let it take over your home life

ConsMaybe I'm spoiled, but salaries here are on the low side and seem to be slow to rise
    They tend to frequently redefine who they are, making it tricky to really know what they stand for
    The strategy group seems to run the show (con if you're not in strategy)
    You will frequently feel like you're just doing a job instead of great work

Advice to Senior ManagementReward the people who do the work, not the people who take credit for other's work. You have a ton of talented, dedicated workers who are overworked, overloaded and greatly under appreciated and far too many people skating by by taking credit for workplace the hard working people are doing.

Great people to work with, but the company doesn't know where they want to go.

ProsThe people are some of the best I've ever worked with. Not necessarily leadership wise, but fun, get along with, and easy to talk to.

ConsA lot of people are hired based on who you know. Including people that aren't right for certain positions.

Lots of talk, little action

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

Pros- Some really smart and innovative people in top management.
    - Some attempt made to provide fun "perks", such as Friday wine cart, even if it feels forced.

Cons- Little attention payed to how to get things done. Every idea is the next hot idea, and Rapp assumes that they can easily become experts in that area, even though no thought is given towards how to make that a reality.
    - Frequent lay-offs, restructuring, and rebranding lead to confusion and low-morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementPick a lane. Find something that you want to do, hire the right people to do that, and focus on doing that well.

“Don't go with this company if you are an IT/data/ analytics or decision sciences professional”

Data/Analytics/Technical Lead (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsGood salary
    Good creative
    Good people
    Fun celebrations

ConsCons – The company tries to portray itself as a data driven CRM agency BUT it is far from it. Management does not know anything about data and does not want to accept it. No technology infrastructure and investment. Ideas floating around with no plan for execution. Very frustrating for a data/technical professional. Don't leave your job to join this company if you are data/ analytics/ technical professional. No money for training.v. Volatile.
    Can be good for hungry, out of college 20 year olds who can be lured by prospect of free Boose.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to Senior Management – Educate yourself! Data discipline needs highly educated resources, infrastructure, and investment.
    Management believes that analysis / technological skills can be acquired over a wknd.
    You need more doers than idea people.
    Change is good but instability is different from change. You will learn it by losing major clients the way you are headed.

Don't Knock It Til You've Tried It

Planner (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsTakes care of employees and agency culture. Breakfast bagels and fruits in the morning, cereal and coffee / tea / milk 24 hrs a day. They take the time to do plenty of holiday celebrations and company activities. Work is not the most exciting or the best at times, but they at least have decent computers and a budget to do things like print in color (yes, there are some agencies that can't even afford that). There are great people in that agency even though there are far and few in between.

ConsThe work is sometimes boring, and the clients aren't exactly 'sexy'. The agency has changed for the better though. Hopefully they'll continue winning some new business.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake some time to mold junior employees instead of just handing off assignments.

Worked for RAPP? Contribute to the Community!