RAPP Reviews

Reset
3.4
RAPP Global CEO Alexei Orlov
Alexei Orlov

Pros
  • This agency seems to respect a work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

• Great People--worked with some truly stellar folks (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Little to no support for executional excellence (in 3 reviews)

• We have a leadership team, executive team and 2 managing directors but yet this place is still a complete mess (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

A great time to be at RAPP

I have been working at RAPP full-time

Pros

There's new leadership and new energy, and a very real sense that great things are coming. We've got an incredibly smart and talented group of people, and the opportunity to do great work for some of the world's top brands. I've been at RAPP for several years and have never been this excited about where we're headed.

Cons

I'd love to see RAPP do a better job celebrating our work and our people. There are some real 'hidden gems' here who, unfortunately, do not get properly recognized for all they do.

Advice to Management

More open and frequent communication about our direction and our progress.

2. great people

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Irving, TX

I have been working at RAPP (Less than a year)

Pros

very good working environment. smart people and kind supervisor.

Cons

sometime the people not very effective

Advice to Management

very good management, all good

May 21, 2015

We're so glad to hear that you're happy with your supervisor experience! Our people define us, and it's important that we've got the right folks in our organization, doing the right things. If you've ... More

Sinking Ship

Former Employee - Acc in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Acc in New York, NY

I worked at RAPP full-time

Pros

-free breakfast including cereal, greek yogurts, bagels/muffins, and fruit (although they stopped serving AS MUCH to stay "lean" a new Rapp principle) -Thirsty Thursday aka 30 minute Thursdays: loose term for a time for people to "gather" to learn about the agency's projects and status, eat free cheetos/popcorn, and drink alcohol -Alcohol Cart Friday: free booze..the nice stuff with lots of chocolate for the office at 4pm

Cons

-layout of office/office environment...back to the future-esque furniture? everything is outdated. people are still in cubes. go to the creative department floor and you feel like you're on set of the show Mad Men minus the smoking and dapper men dressed in suits. its dreary and depressing. -high turnover. they keep hiring the wrong people for the wrong roles. rarely do they ever find someone that is an actual fit for the company, team, and account. Average stay for a new hire this past year? 45 days. -lack of attention to junior people. stop wasting your dollars on not so smart hires and invest your dollars in your people. nurture existing talent. raise these junior people to be excellent account/creative professionals or else you're going to continue to lose good people -new CEO. with the hire of the new CEO, people are scared to open their mouths and stand up against him or to even just voice their opinions in fear that they may lose their jobs. your people are not happy. -loss of identity. RAPP doesn't know what they stand for. They seem to continue to go after healthcare business pitches because thats where the dollars are. Rapp is not a healthcare ad agency. Bring in more savvy clients...cool projects or sexy brand names.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring dumb. Hire smart. Pay attention to your junior level people because they are the ones actually running the business day-to-day. Nurture their talent. Let them grow and make them want to stay. Bring in exciting business - stop with the healthcare approach. No one wants to work on pharma accounts. Listen to those who matter - not just the c-suite level folks. Get some new furniture and re-do the office.

Jul 20, 2015

Thank you very much for your feedback. As RAPP evolves we encourage employees to give us feedback in ways that we can improve and I am concerned to hear that you did not have the experience you ... More

Awful company

Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior CopyWriter in New York, NY

I worked at RAPP (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the creatives were excellent people.

Cons

Difficult work environment. Incompetent account managers. Bad planners. It is sadly not a place of creative growth.

Jun 23, 2015

Thank you very much for your feedback. As RAPP continues to evolve, we’re always keen to hear both about what we’re doing well, and ways in which we can improve. I’m concerned to hear that your ... More

6. Creative director

Current Employee - Creative Director in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Creative Director in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at RAPP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A truly progressive company facing the world and its challenges. Company is getting rid of many people who are deadwood and are not good for our company

Cons

Many people who have been fired because of poor performance are writing rubbish about our company. It is unfortunate and unfair, The real truth remains with us who know we are on the verge of many great things

Advice to Management

Don't allow yourselves to be distracted by people who have their own selfish agendas. You have set a path for our company that very few in the industry couldn't even get very near to. Stay true to yourselves and keep us all informed.

May 11, 2015

Thank you for your positive feedback! We agree we are on the verge of many great things at RAPP, and are leading the way of doing things differently in San Francisco. Thanks so much for embracing ... More

7. Difficult time

Former Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Account Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at RAPP

Pros

The people are your support network. You get to work on some big blue chip brands.

Cons

Too much talking not any doing. Complicated thinkers keeping things slow and dissatisfying.

Advice to Management

Get out of your own way. Give teams a real opportunity to thrive.

May 21, 2015

Thanks for your feedback. We understand how it’s sometimes easy to feel frustrated, and like you’re not seeing changes quickly enough, when things are happening within our organization on a very ... More

8. Account services

Current Employee - Account Services in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Services in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at RAPP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

With a recent change of leadership and a new foundational identity and vision, there are no limits to what RAPP can achieve. RAPP is progressive, intelligent and fun. After working at 4 other top agencies throughout my career, I'm proud and thankful that I'm now part of the RAPP team.

Cons

There will always be challenges, but that's why they call it a job.

Disappointing experience with a well-known agency

I worked at RAPP full-time

Pros

Strategically-focused agency with a great reputation. Top tier clients in a wide range of industries. Talented staff with good marketing experience.

Cons

Agency allowed the personal politics of leaders to affect the careers of others. Employees were literally asked to "choose sides" and who they wanted to work for at the home office. Employees in the office they were attempting to rebuild in a major market did not have that choice and were all laid off. Poor leadership.

Advice to Management

Don't allow individuals in leadership positions to play games with the careers of others. When a turf battle ensues, step in to diffuse and protect the reputation of the agency brand.

May 11, 2015

Thank you for your sharing your feedback regarding your work experience. Working at a creative agency like RAPP should be an emotionally and professionally rewarding experience. We recognize that can ... More

NOT What It Used To Be

Former Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

I worked at RAPP full-time (More than a year)

Pros

RAPP pays you well and there is work/life balance. SOME of the people are AMAZING, genuine and kind human beings. They are the ones that make it a pleasure to not only work at RAPP, but really make you feel like you are a part of something special. There are lots of company events and opportunities to bond -- which are really nice, cozy and social experiences. It's a great way to make new friends at the office. Really had loved that. Some other perks include, free breakfast every morning, sports teams to join, volunteer opportunities and snacks. All the ingredients of a great place to work! The Creative team is probably the only "safe" and "normal" group of people there (which is an ironic thing to point out, I know!) -- them, a handful of really fantastic client services people, the CFO, HR and the head of Finance. The Creative folks are smart, genuine, team players. They are a team of people who watch out for each other and have each others back. They operate like a solid well-oiled machine that make the other departments jealous. With the exception of a 1-2 bad bolts, Creative is run with decency, smarts and candor. Most of the Creative senior management is transparent and they take the time to help out the entire department. I've seen Senior Art Directors pull aside folks on Client Services and give them advice to push back on clients or senior members of Client Services so that no one is taken advantage of and doesn't have work until midnight each night. I witnessed Creative Directors walking over to mid-level and junior members of Creative, Client Services or Project Management to simply say, "thank you." There is a new head of Creative Services, too. This person has gone out of their way (or rather, is actually doing their job) to ensure that junior team members are not bulldozed by clients, projects or partners. This person has been making an effort to re-organize the department to ensure people aren't getting burned out. It's not quite there, but one of the few positive changes inside of RAPP. It's a work in progress in the right direction.

Cons

RAPP has all the ingredients of a great place to work. So much so, that when you put all of those ingredients together, you would think that an amazing dish would be cooked up. But that could not be farther from the truth. In fact, your dish boils over and is one ugly, gross, hot mess. The majority of the senior management team is full of self-righteous, shady and occasionally STUPID human beings. They may be book smart (that's what got them through college) and street smart (that's how they snaked their up way the corporate ladder), but they are NOT industry smart. (Core Dialog sounds nice, but it doesn't exist in MOST of the offices -- an reversing CRM and now calling it CMR is just idiotic. And the new clunky logo speaks volumes about their inadequacies, too.) Don't fool yourself or let them fool you. This doesn't apply to all of RAPP's senior management -- only a few. However, those few run important enough departments and hold senior enough positions to really make your wonder... For example, one extremely senior woman in Client Services said that, "social media is a fad. It's a passing of today's generation. If you want to succeed in this industry, pick up some real skills." Right. In 2015. Has this woman been under a rock for the past 15-years? Facebook, a multibillion dollar company is just a fad? SnapChat that is being courted for billions of dollars to be sold is just a fad? Yahoo! had to complete restructure themselves completely to survive because of this 'fad.' Vitamin Water, who 4-years ago, changed their homepage to redirect to their Facebook page is just a fad? This woman is ignorant and her comments make her look downright stupid. I've also heard of people being wrongfully let go from RAPP too -- things like being verbally abused as they hand you your exit letter, or people who left their exits in tears because they were disrespected, or other situations where they were told it was being of the organizational restructuring but really it was because their boss simply hated them and if they wanted their severance, they had to sign so they couldn't sue. That's been the story that's been circling for the past 6-9 months. Funny that that comes at the time of a new CEO and Managing Director. The new Managing Director of RAPP NY is ... interesting. Not leadership quality. This person may have survived many years at RAPP to 'earn' that role, but don't let their charm fool you. People who tout how they resilient, smart, fun and cool they are and feel the need to TELL you, actually, just SHOWED you another side of their personality. The other side of their personality being the opposite of the things they said. It's like that age old saying, someone who NEEDS to TELL you, just SHOWED you the truth. It's sad. RAPP was one of the those places where people always said, it's a great place to work because the PEOPLE are the best. There was a time when RAPP did have great people. It didn't matter that they were not a Cannes Lion award-winning agency. No. RAPP had amazing company culture, with solid and decent people. That's why it's sad. That doesn't exist there anymore. Not at all. Not with this new culture. The senior management team is really full of sharks. People who say one thing, do other things, and bulldoze over other people without any qualms or remorse. One senior member of the Project Management team has even become infamous for their habits of bad mouthing anyone they do not like to the rest of the staff. One senior member of Strategy is known for their bullying to pretty much everyone. What kind of place is RAPP? If "kindness" is supposed to be one of their core values, they certain need a new dictionary. It speaks volumes that RAPP is losing business, including their no.1 account, Humana. It's a sinking ship. They should invest in good people. Heck, they should make a bigger effort to KEEP the good people they already have. Free snacks, alcohol and breakfast, Core Dialog or donating your homepage to support Nepal aren't fooling anyone. It's like that saying, a fish rots from the head down.

Advice to Management

Get over yourselves. Actually value what you have in front of you because one day you are going to wake up and realize that you lost a lot of good people, potential friends and future colleagues along the way because of your lack of ethics and shark tank attitude. For the sake of the good people that still remain there, one can only hope you can wise up.

May 13, 2015

Based on this commentator’s cadence, grammar usage and language choice, it would appear that this is a longer version of an earlier post. We believe RAPP’s previous response still applies. However ... More

11. A company that has been great in the past and can be again - with the right leadership.

I worked at RAPP full-time

Pros

I worked with some really amazing people at RAPP; they were fun, focused and truly loved what we did there. The clients we worked for saw that drive and excitement from our teams and responded with more work and partnership.

Cons

The last few years at RAPP found the company struggling to find a new identity. We became too generalized and tried to be everything to everyone versus focusing on what we did best. That resulted in taking on projects that we really couldn't deliver on - or we did deliver, but at a cost which resulted in low or negative profitability. We started losing really good people to companies that had better focus and a clear plan for the future.

Advice to Management

Take the SMART goals approach we used in personnel reviews and apply it to your plan for the future. Share that focused goal with the company, without the buzz words, and then take advantage of the amazing people you hire to help you establish a plan to get there. And then stay focused. Don't let anything distract you from your goal and your plan to get there. Do this, and RAPP will succeed.

RSS Feed </> Embed