RAPP

RAPP Reviews

Updated Jun 21, 2014

Not yet rated.

Alexei Orlov

Pros
  • This agency seems to respect a work/life balance(in 6 reviews)

• There are great people in that agency even though there are far and few in between(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Overly top heavy and incapable of winning new business(in 4 reviews)

• Senior leadership is not invested in the success of their employees(in 4 reviews)

Intern

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGoo culture, freedom to express your ideas, good learnings

ConsNo enough support from higher management

Who's in charge?

ProsGreat people. Very smart. Teams seem to bond well together, at least the actual workers on the teams.

ConsCan't keep people long enough to gain traction.
    Creative leadership keeps turning over. Strategy leadership and Account as well.
    No bonuses.
    Went 3 years without a review or salary adjustment.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove on.

Good for gaining experience in the short-term, horrible for long-term career goals

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Irving, TX

ProsGood benefits, laid back working environment, fun activities, exceptional coworkers, allows work from home if needed

ConsThe worst attempt at "leadership" I have ever experienced. The good employees are worked into the ground until they leave the company. 50-60 hours a week is the norm. Cronyism is abundant in the technology groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a long, hard look at the leaders of individual departments and you might see why people are leaving. Invest in your existing employees by offering career opportunities and professional development.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not digital or data driven at all.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsThere's a handful of people in each department, two or three, that are true stars who would shine anywhere.
    Office is within walking distance of plenty of great dining options.

ConsCan't win the kind of accounts that attract top talent.
    Management can't steer its current client roster in a digital direction.
    Not staffed for today's ad world; lots of mid 80's and early 90's DM diehards in top positions.
    Not enough staff period; bean counters have pushed management to cut the fat AND the bone. No matter your station, you'll probably end up doing the work of 1.5 or 2 people.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a plan that actually involves investing in digital. I think another poster said this and it demands repeating; the old RAPP was a direct mail champion. What's today's RAPP good at?

The people are great, but too many VP's and the company is getting away from true Advertising.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThe "working" employees are all great. Very good at their jobs and devoted to the company. Constantly trying to make sure the clients are happy.

ConsLeadership overworked employees. Concerned only with profit. Does not "invest" in their employees. They hire and layoff quickly with the passing of clients. They also don't fight for their employees when they know they are doing the best for the client.

In a word: feudal.

Consultant (Marketing Analytics) (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsCompensation and work/life balance are good, most rank and file employees are decent and reasonable people.

ConsRapp is encumbered by a two class structure with zero mobility. Prince/Princesses who seem to have inherited their positions rule over subjects and fear the slightest challenge from them. The culture enthusiastically embraces mediocrity and obsequious subservience over excellence. Overly top heavy and incapable of winning new business.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease. It would be far more practical and rewarding to argue with the radio and howl at the moon.

Don't join Analytics or Technology jobs. Or, if you love to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWork life balance
    Less stress

ConsThere is nothing to do at this company that is serious about investing in technology or analytics. Its a joke at how they run this shop. They have no idea and all good people who have joined it were smart enough to leave it. As long as you please the senior management and their ancient methods, you are fine. All the talk about time sheet is ridiculous. Do not join it.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of people who have been sitting at the top for years and the teams have been leaving. You have to hire people who truly understand smart methods and how they work. Not what they used to do 30 years ago and expects young smart analysts to follow it.

Feudal - If you value honesty, this is not the place for you

Quality Assurance (Former Employee) El Segundo, CA

ProsFree food
    Great clients
    Spacious workplace
    Enjoyed the work I performed - had to go above & beyond to help account managers actually manage/traffic workflow

Cons50-70 hour workweek
    In-peer fighting over job security with Dallas, Tx office
    Constant back-stabbing - witnessed dozens of employees get fired over nothing and replaced with a sneeze

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real. Company needs an overhaul. Stop working employees to death.
    Revisit advertising and direct response principles.

Great opportunities for growth and knowledge building. A great place to start your career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people you'll meet at RAPP are amazing. They are smart, passionate, supportive, and driven individuals who can come together as a team to accomplish great things.

ConsIn the last few years, there seemed to be confusion about where the company was headed. We seemed to be trying to be everything to everyone. We needed a vision that could be articulated clearly to employees and clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementA vision without a plan is just a dream. A plan without a vision is just drudgery. But a vision with a plan can change the world.

"What do we do?"

Account (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsCan occasionally be involved in some very smart work.

ConsWrong people get recognized and rewarded; the best employees are ignored or leave. Results in constant turnover on many accounts (in most departments).
    Agency is struggling for an identify -- Rapp Collins was known as a direct marketing agency. Rapp is known as....???

Advice to Senior ManagementNobody at the agency is happy. It stems from the top - where people are more concerned with trying to keep their jobs than improving the agency's glaring issues. Morale is non-existent.

Worked for RAPP? Contribute to the Community!