RB

RB Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

RB CEO Rakesh Kapoor

Rakesh Kapoor

Pros
  • Its fast paced, rapidly changing, continuously innovating and pushing things forward(in 41 reviews)

• Fast paced, busy, good colleagues, good career opportunities especially if you want to travel(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • no work/life balance - the scope pushed into the roles is bigger than I've seen before elsewhere(in 53 reviews)

• No work/life balance what so ever(in 15 reviews)

Fast & disruptive, learned a lot, difficult live-work balance

Senior Brand Manager (Former Employee)

ProsAt RB you really have the chance to learn a lot, since there is a big momentum in the company. It is a company, where you are asked to take ownership for your projects and really make decisions. Since RB is moving so fast, mistakes happen at times. This is ok, as long as you have a good reason for it.

ConsRB is planning your career for you, not with you. If you go with it, you can be very successful. Since fluctuation is high, many people are overworked or in positions which are beyond their experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on employees development

Start-up company masquerading as a big CPG

Brand Manager (Current Employee) Parsippany, NJ

ProsRB is rich in diversity, both culturally and nationality-wise. Folks that you will meet across functions could literally be from anywhere - India, Turkey, Aussie, UK, Brazil, you name it.

Promotions are not structured or by class year of entry - rather, largely merit based or some other measure not tied to years on the role.

Pace is pretty demanding, which is perfect for A-types fresh out of b-school that are looking to conquer the world.

Work culture-wise, there are many different sub-cultures across brand teams and verticals. Some are fun. Some are not. It's the luck of the draw.

ConsCompany is very short-term focused, with in-year results being paramount. This leads to very tactical considerations vs. broader brand building equity initiatives that won't pay out until much later. Hence, pure marketers who do not desire the general management route should pass.

Agencies seem to require extensive hand-holding, possibly because RB's rep scares away the competent ones.

Despite what others say about RB regarding poor treatment of employees, RB does on occasion roll out the kid-gloves and keeps non-productive employees on payroll for months on end w/o any action. (This is actually a con because who wants to work with free-loaders that only distract the team with their jibjab and sit on their asses all day).

The blend of free-loaders and handful of superstars results in an average talent pool. In shooting for out-performance, not a great formula for success.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeam changes over too quickly (almost yearly). More transparency and accessibility would be nice. If you can't make time, better clone yourself or allow teams to run the show autonomously. Also, don't reinforce bad behaviors by promoting folks that are undeserving or that are simply awful managers.

good

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Newark, DE

Prosbenfits were good , very good company to work for.

Consmanagement style was not professional ,may cold have been my manager.

Advice to Senior Managementcommutate better with the sales reps

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Horrible management and leadership, no vision

Trade Marketing (Former Employee) Parsippany, NJ

ProsIf your European you will get jobs you don't deserve

ConsEverything is terrible except the brands

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some American leadership in the us business

Great learning experience, not a long term sustainable work place!

Finance (Former Employee) Parsippany, NJ

ProsGreat benefits and decent salaries for the industry. At manager levels and above the bonuses can be very very good.
    Challenging work, plenty of responsibility, if you are an A-type personality and stand out to management plenty of opportunities to move around within the company. In 8 years I had 4 different positions.
    Good learning experience.
    There are a few exceptional managers/directors that I was lucky enough to encounter and they were great mentors to me.
    Very diverse company and if you want to experience living/working in another country they encourage/require it.

ConsWhere do I even begin:
    No work/life balance what so ever. At RB they expect work to be your life.
    Most employees are fresh out of grad-school, young unmarried or newly married with no children....that's the only way you can put in all those hours. As soon as people want a family they are moving to other companies that actually care about their employees.
    It's a very tough and ruthless culture...and I mean RUTHLESS!
    If you are not internationally mobile no sense in sticking around because you are not getting beyond a junior manager role.
    Extremely lean organization, which is why people have to work so many hours and under such high stress. Expect to be doing 2 to 3 people's jobs...
    Low morale especially in the Finance organization.
    Not enough time in each position, people are moving sometimes after a year, 15 months of being in a position. Just when you start to gain expertise in an area they throw you head first into something totally new. No consistency
    Boys club....if you are not making the right friends and going to happy hours etc. then expect to not get noticed.
    Too many meetings, priorities and objectives constantly changing, very reactive vs. competitors, etc.

I can go on but I'm sure everyone gets the point!

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the culture and put more emphasis on your employees. Satisfied employees are a lot more productive. More work/life flexibility would be a huge improvement.

Great company if you are well educated, completely dedicated and mobile

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThey have very talented workforce. They produce great line of quality products you can be proud of. The pay and benefits are very good.

ConsBe prepared to work very long hours. Extremely fast paced company that is always changing direction. Advancement may be limited if you are not prepared to relocate.

Great place to get paid.

Brand Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

Prosgood pay, but know you're working for the Euro's.

Conslong hours - little thanks.

Advice to Senior Managementvalue local talent.

Soulless labor camp for the educated, but it can pay well...

Associate Brand Manager (Former Employee) Parsippany, NJ

ProsGood bonus, high pay, and rapid career progression if you are the right type of person. Good products and a nice office.

ConsToxic corporate culture: The company does not care about you, LONG hours, high stress, CYA mentality, it is all about heros not teams. International mobility needed at the higher levels. No training - sink or swim.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people. I have known three people on my team who had to take extended medical leave due to stress, all left the company after. One was told to by his doctor because he had heart palpitations at 27.

Very reactive, people who value stability in their lives need not apply.

ProsFrom what I can tell they pay well. You will have plenty of responsibility, which will obviously depend on your position. If you want to move all over the place, they will love you. They have made some smart acquisitions over the years.

ConsThe product development seems very reactive to what other CP companies are doing. Upper management does not respect the people that are actually doing the work to make the numbers look good. Our objectives are for the sole purpose of maximizing the bonuses of the top managers and not so much for maintaining sustainable, organic growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementRunning people ragged is not a business model.

Fast-paced entrepreneurial environment

Senior Brand Manager (Current Employee) Parsippany, NJ

ProsIf you like to take on lots of challenging activities and are driven this is a great company to work for and get well paid for your efforts.

ConsLong hours. Expectation to re-locate at some point in your career.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne's life shouldn't just be about work

Worked for RB? Contribute to the Community!