RB

Updated Mar 18, 2014

RB CEO Rakesh Kapoor

Rakesh Kapoor

18 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Exciting, demanding and wearing you out quickly

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at RB full-time for more than a year

Prosfaster career progression opportunity
open door policy to senior stakeholders
good competitive salary (higher than market average)
good bonus - hit 150% of target bonus in 2014
lots of challenges, lots to improve - always full of opportunities
very quick decision making

Consmediocre management
no retention - people turn is highest in the industry
no clarity of roles' scope - no clear boundaries defined for adjacent roles/areas
no clarity of direction from management
no focus on process - everything is done based on people going over and beyond what they should be doing
extremely high expectations
no work/life balance - the scope pushed into the roles is bigger than I've seen before elsewhere
weak HR
extremely fast decision making - sometimes w/o proper investigation
extremely old and not properly working systems - lots of data crunching by all departments

Advice to Senior Managementit's time to focus on process and people retention since the company has become too big to be managed as a small enterprise. higher and retain strong management and enable them to think about strategy - less firefighting

I can make something different, the company trusts you and gives you the freedom

Brand Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at RB full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- You can make things different. You own things and you see changes you made. This sense of achievement is not replaceable
- Unlike other companies, it makes fast decision and act on it immediately. So that you won't waste time and energy to get everyone agree with you and then to start a project.
- No office politics, people here focus on business, not on relationship.

ConsLack of process.... but hey if you have so many process, you won't be able to move fast and realize your ideas, isn't it?

Intense and exciting but often bad work life balance

Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at RB full-time for less than a year

ProsThere is a lot of opportunity to take on responsibility at a very early stage. There is also a great opportunity to travel and work across various brands.

ConsThere is a bad work life balance. Especially due to the awkward commute between London and Slough- lack of bars etc in Slough also mean less team bonding.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove out of Slough

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

All about how lucky you are with the most recent change

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at RB full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is always an opportunity to fix something
Challenging by nature to fix whatever issue/business situation you have inherited
Can grow in the ladder if you are smart to pick opportunities where you are able to deliver them fast.

ConsMany projects die after months because the changes/turnover/lack of follow-up of the person that inherited the project.
RB is very international/multicultural company, this also implies you are in a "lottery" of personalities that will be your teamwork
You can perceive when people have been or not been raised within RB by identifying those that are constantly celebrating the "past glories".
It is not a company for people that are process oriented or are looking for a work/life balance
You need to be aware of your own development, RB will not offer you "formal" training. People that are >4 years within RB seems to forget what is happening in the external world in terms of best practices.
Career opportunities only come to mobile people

Advice to Senior ManagementAs many other companies, communication would be really good to improve alignment to RB goals.
It is good the new vision build for the company and more investment in sustainability.
Use more the HR function to assess the climate within the departments of the company.

A lot of experience, not much money

IS Graduate (Current Employee)
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at RB full-time for more than a year

ProsInternational experience... there's no other company as strong as Reckitt in sending people abroad, you'll always be working with at least 50% of foreigners at most times!
Also the challenging and fast paced environment can give you experiences very valuable for the market.
The top management is very close to all employees as well, which helps a lot on choosing your career path.

ConsWell, the biggest problem in RB is that they'll always pay you he least they can, you must negotiate everything there. It's very difficult for they to promote someone who didn't ask for more challenges.
Also the lack of standardization, documented processes and overall organization might be a little annoying for some people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the standardization and documentation efforts ongoing, invest more in technology to support the processes and keep winning in the market!

Fast progression but at a cost

Finance Department (Current Employee)

I have been working at RB full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFast movement with RB and used to be work hard play hard. You are empowered to make choices that you can actually see through to the end. Decent pension.

ConsReason for the movement is because everyone leaves, terrible working atmosphere and no work life balance. They expect everything from only a work force half the size of any top FMCG. Don't expect to be paid well if the company does perform. Years of growth have gone leaving the decent bonus structure worthless.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider your people before short term business goals.

The most unnecessary psychological stress experienced in 25 yrs of working Anywhere

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I worked at RB full-time for less than a year

ProsGood salary and benefits, WiFi through out head office in Slough, Great experience in terms of learning about an extreme work culture

ConsWork culture was quite literally....dog eat dog with new arrivals given little support and every man for himself....kept looking over my shoulder and always felt like I was being set up for a fall.....very little trust amongst colleagues regardless of rank...l.highly political....little acknowledgement or praise given when tight deadlines were met....pure Darwin in operation. Dread of going in and everyone equally miserable

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to resolve culture and values so that people develope and feel they want to come into work. Encourage integrity and honesty at work. Take away fear and stress related to lack of trust between colleagues by supporting collaboration and not backstabbing behaviour

Avoid at all costs.

NAM (Current Employee)

I have been working at RB full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNone that I can think of

ConsThe incompetence of senior management beggars belief and the business regularly moves them between countries to mask the issue.

Too many young and inexperienced individuals residing in important positions.

Zero Work/life balance

I could go on...

Advice to Senior ManagementLeave

National accounts

National Accounts Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at RB full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat brands, great career potential

ConsVery very fast moving company
Short term gains

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the long term

Very competitive - kill or be killed

Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at RB

ProsGlobal business - manufacturing or offices in many tens of countries and sales activity in over a hundred countries. Interesting work - some variety. Pay and benefits in line with other major UK employers. Some colleagues are great. A lot to do. Some people really do well in this environment. Good base to build from on CV.

ConsDepends very much on your department and your line managers. In my area, variety of work a bit limited after a time as not allowed to take ownership. Opportunities to advance not really as talked about at interview. Line management need to assess priorities properly - not all things are top priorities. More general: aggressive organisation when dealing with staff and more aggresive with people outside. Almost no work/life balance as number of people too low for amount of work. Some colleagues are great but other colleagues not and some line management seem to be in it for their own personal gain but seem to survive somehow.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to align what you say with what you do. Too much politics. Reputation with suppliers should be improved. Staffing levels too lean/turnover of experienced people too high. Line management need to organise priorities better.

Worked for RB? Contribute to the Community!

RB Videos

RB – Why Work for Us?

RB is different: ‘good enough’ isn’t good enough here. Every day, across 60 countries, we strive to find even better ways to give people innovative solutions for healthier lives and happier homes. If it’s tried and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at RB reviews and ratings in Slough, Berkshire, South East England, England — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for RB CEO Rakesh Kapoor. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by RB employees.